The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Demarcus Ware..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1...sion-with-Ware Quote:The Dallas Cowboys and star defensive end DeMarcus Ware have agreed to a blockbuster six-year extension, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal will be worth nearly $13 million per season and approaching $40 million in guaranteed money
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Yeah... Dumervil happens to peak on his contract year and we still have to pay Marshall, Kuper, Orton, and Scheffler. All five of these people are currently being paid close to rookie deals (Marshall is getting by far the most $ at a mere 2.2 mill).

We might only be able to keep 3 of these people. Sucks balls.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Yeah... Dumervil happens to peak on his contract year and we still have to pay Marshall, Kuper, Orton, and Scheffler. All five of these people are currently being paid close to rookie deals (Marshall is getting by far the most $ at a mere 2.2 mill).

We might only be able to keep 3 of these people. Sucks balls.
Kuper and Scheffler aren't going to be market setting deals. Doom, Marshall, and Orton are all probably looking at good money, but Ware is a poor comp for Doom. James Harrison is a better comp and he won DPOY last year. Ware has been a beast for nearly half a decade now and is unquestionably the most consistently productive rush OLB in the league. He's not the benchmark for anyone else.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Kuper and Scheffler aren't going to be market setting deals. Doom, Marshall, and Orton are all probably looking at good money, but Ware is a poor comp for Doom. James Harrison is a better comp and he won DPOY last year. Ware has been a beast for nearly half a decade now and is unquestionably the most consistently productive rush OLB in the league. He's not the benchmark for anyone else.
If it wasn't for an injury Harrison would not have been a starter. He may not have made the team & you think he's a better comp. to elvis. He had a combined 12.5 sacks combined from 2002-2007.

Dumervils #s are equivelent if not better than those of demarcus ware through their 1st 4 yrs. Ware has 53 sacks, dumervil will end somewhere in the 44-50 range by the end of his 4th season. Hell, Dumervil had to do it out of the 4-3.

Wares' contract set the bar for OLB throughout the NFL, Dumervil will be asking for at least that amt. He'll get it with us or someoneelse.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Elway777
Ring of Famer

If Dumervil wants that much then the Broncos might have to let him walk. I would try and sign Dumervil for 6 year 42 million with 20 million signing bonus. I also might trade Marshall for 2 rounder and 4 rounder then go try and sign Vicent Jackson for about 6 million a year. Kuper sould cost about 4 million and franchise Scheffer for about 4 million. Orton should be signed for 3 year 18 million with 10 million signing bonus.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
If it wasn't for an injury Harrison would not have been a starter. He may not have made the team & you think he's a better comp. to elvis. He had a combined 12.5 sacks combined from 2002-2007.

Dumervils #s are equivelent if not better than those of demarcus ware through their 1st 4 yrs. Ware has 53 sacks, dumervil will end somewhere in the 44-50 range by the end of his 4th season. Hell, Dumervil had to do it out of the 4-3.

Wares' contract set the bar for OLB throughout the NFL, Dumervil will be asking for at least that amt. He'll get it with us or someoneelse.
No one in the entire world could possibly think that Dumervil should get paid more than Demarcus Ware.

If anything this sets a high water mark that Doom can't exceed. Dumervil was looking at a modest deal before this season and moving to a 3-4, he'll likely be an RFA next year unless some miracle happens with the CBA, and his best comp for signing a new deal off a single breakout season is James Harrison.

Doom is playing some great football right now, but if his agent asks for Suggs or Ware money then the Broncos should let him test the market. There isn't a team in the league that will pay him that kind of money.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

We've been over this a thousand times, if not more.

Not one of these guys, not one, is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season unless something crazy happens in the next month with the CBA negotiations......which is only slightly more likely than me hitting Powerball in the near future.

All of these guys are property of the Broncos for the 2010 season, unless the Broncos let them go for a king's ransom (at least a first and a third rounder with the high tender, which costs pennies).
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We've been over this a thousand times, if not more.

Not one of these guys, not one, is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season unless something crazy happens in the next month with the CBA negotiations......which is only slightly more likely than me hitting Powerball in the near future.

All of these guys are property of the Broncos for the 2010 season, unless the Broncos let them go for a king's ransom (at least a first and a third rounder with the high tender, which costs pennies).
Exactly.

What I'm expecting is the following:

RFA tenders on Doom, Marshall, Orton, Kuper, and Scheffler.

Then new deals for Doom, Marshall, and Orton all in the same basic area of 6 years, $50-$55M with $20-$25M guaranteed. Not only do we hold the RFA tag leverage on them, thats respectable market value compared to what Harrison, Roddy White, and Matt Cassel (when you take out the difference between an RFA tag and the $14.7M he was guaranteed already) got on their new deals. The fact that you can offer our three young star players all basically the exact same deal also puts some peer pressure on them. No one wants to be the guy who says "I deserve more than this other star player".

Kuper and Scheffler are offered reasonable money deals, probably 4 or 5 year extensions worth around $4-$5M AAV. If they don't want to take them then play a year on the RFA tag and test the market after that.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Exactly.

What I'm expecting is the following:

RFA tenders on Doom, Marshall, Orton, Kuper, and Scheffler.

Then new deals for Doom, Marshall, and Orton all in the same basic area of 6 years, $50-$55M with $20-$25M guaranteed. Not only do we hold the RFA tag leverage on them, thats respectable market value compared to what Harrison, Roddy White, and Matt Cassel (when you take out the difference between an RFA tag and the $14.7M he was guaranteed already) got on their new deals. The fact that you can offer our three young star players all basically the exact same deal also puts some peer pressure on them. No one wants to be the guy who says "I deserve more than this other star player".

Kuper and Scheffler are offered reasonable money deals, probably 4 or 5 year extensions worth around $4-$5M AAV. If they don't want to take them then play a year on the RFA tag and test the market after that.
No one wants to be the guy that brings down the market value for a given position either.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No one in the entire world could possibly think that Dumervil should get paid more than Demarcus Ware.
If anything this sets a high water mark that Doom can't exceed. Dumervil was looking at a modest deal before this season and moving to a 3-4, he'll likely be an RFA next year unless some miracle happens with the CBA, and his best comp for signing a new deal off a single breakout season is James Harrison.

Doom is playing some great football right now, but if his agent asks for Suggs or Ware money then the Broncos should let him test the market. There isn't a team in the league that will pay him that kind of money.
No one!? Are you serious. Maybe he won't exceed it but he'll definetly match it. Either way a good hold out will usually outweight any leverage gained by RFA tag.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Doom is arguably better than Ware. He is having a better year his first year at the possition. Just saying that is probably his or his agents message they will send to the Broncos. **** Jerry Jones that stupid cock****er.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

I don't see Scheffler getting big money. He's talented but receiving TEs like him are becoming more common with the number of college team using the spread O. I certainly would not slap a franchise tag on him as was suggested above.
Master___Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

At Dum's current pace, he's definitely set to be making that kind of money.

However, the Cowboy's, much like the Redskins, actually seem to love paying people huge contracts. I look for Elvis to be reasonable and take 10-20% less than that and stay here.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #14
anon
Seasoned Veteran

This may be heresy around here (especially right now) but I'd like to see Elvis be consistent for an entire season and show up in every game before presuming he deserves a huge contract. He's in line for a very significant raise but I want to see more consistency over a season first.
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Burn him!!!
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
Elway777
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
I don't see Scheffler getting big money. He's talented but receiving TEs like him are becoming more common with the number of college team using the spread O. I certainly would not slap a franchise tag on him as was suggested above.
The Franchise tag for a tight end is only 4 million . Gates only makes 3 million. This way the Broncos save money on paying signing bonus .
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
The Franchise tag for a tight end is only 4 million . Gates only makes 3 million. This way the Broncos save money on paying signing bonus .
Yeah, but Scheffler is not worth 4 million a year. He a decent TE. He's no All pro, and certainly not worthy of a franchise tag.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
This may be heresy around here (especially right now) but I'd like to see Elvis be consistent for an entire season and show up in every game before presuming he deserves a huge contract. He's in line for a very significant raise but I want to see more consistency over a season first.
Thank you.

Doom will not be getting Ware type money. He will get paid, but not like a QB.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master___Pain View Post
Yeah, but Scheffler is not worth 4 million a year. He a decent TE. He's no All pro, and certainly not worthy of a franchise tag.
You're taking whta Scheffler brings to the team for granted. There's not anyone else on the team we can split out wide and get either a safety or LB covering him. That's a 100% advantage to Scheffler and Orton.

Tony is more than worth a pidly $4 million tag for 1 season. That's peanuts, and Bowlen is more concerned about up front money (aka signing bonuses) then a yearly salary.

And it gives both sides more time to work out a long term deal. It's a win win situation in my mind.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
Master___Pain
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rock Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
You're taking whta Scheffler brings to the team for granted. There's not anyone else on the team we can split out wide and get either a safety or LB covering him. That's a 100% advantage to Scheffler and Orton.

Tony is more than worth a pidly $4 million tag for 1 season. That's peanuts, and Bowlen is more concerned about up front money (aka signing bonuses) then a yearly salary.

And it gives both sides more time to work out a long term deal. It's a win win situation in my mind.
All I'm saying is of all the guys to be re-signed, I think he's the least likely and that there are guys coming out of college that could fill his shoes pretty easily. Not a diss on Schef, but he's low man on the class of 2006 totem pole IMO.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sure he's low man. But it's still peanuts to sign the guy really. No reason to take a flier on a rook that may or may not work out, when you have a guy that already knows what's going on.

I would think after franchising (if it came to that) if they can't work out a long term deal, you let him walk and move on.

But Scheff brings enough talent to the table that in my mind it's worth giving a best effort to sign him.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #22
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Thank you.

Doom will not be getting Ware type money. He will get paid, but not like a QB.
Ya.. he really worries me. He's having the type of season that leads to a big contract... but I'm still convinced that he's really the answer. He still has trouble detaching from blockers, and gets eaten up if he doesn't get the corner.

Don't get me wrong. I love what Doom is doing, but he's not really a physical player. I have to feel like that might eventually catch up with him.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Lets just pay them and front load it all into the uncapped year. They may even take a discount if we give it to them upfront.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He's going to get a big payday regardless,they franchise him he gets top 5 money, he goes to another team he gets #1 money.From cleveland,green bay & others that have switched to a 3-4 defense.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #25
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
At Dum's current pace, he's definitely set to be making that kind of money.

However, the Cowboy's, much like the Redskins, actually seem to love paying people huge contracts. I look for Elvis to be reasonable and take 10-20% less than that and stay here.
Considering we're the team that took a chance when know one else would!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote