The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Some Thoughts and Alot of Crow

I am back...and a little bit more refreshed after taking my break.

As many of you here may have read, I mentioned alot of things in my last post...mainly about how I was getting sick and tired of this place for a number of reasons. I had mentioned in that post that perhaps what I needed was a break. So I went ahead and took a break. I had to get out of here for awhile...as I mentioned to Taco a couple days ago, it was getting to my blood pressure and affecting my health and that's not a good thing. It was good to get away and observe things from afar. I know there will be people that will think that I stayed away because I was "pissed" or angry that Josh was doing well. That's a bunch of crap. The people who would believe that have an amazing disregard for facts. I said upfront that maybe it was time to take a break because I was getting sick of it, and that was right after Game 1, hardly a great performance. I also went out of my way to give Nolan and the D major props after that game. I would not head out there every summer if I didn't really love them. I took a break because it was affecting me and I said that up front. If you don't believe that...I don't know what to tell you. You can believe whatever you like. I've enjoyed what the staff has been able to do with this team. They're doing a great job and they are making me eat a ton of crow. I will definitely give them their hard earned props.

I mentioned during the summer that McD would get an oppurtunity to prove his true mettle. Personally, I didn't think he was great either as a coach or as an administrator. I thought he was a disaster of biblical proportions. He's definitely proven me wrong so far. He deserves alot of credit. I will give him his props. He's earned it and he deserves it. I was wrong about his coaching ability. He may very well be a worthy heir to Shanahan. I still love Mike. That man meant alot to me. Many of the best days of my life came because of him and I suppose I held an emotional attachement to him over the summer. That obviously reflected in some over the top hatred towards Josh. I admit that. I still disagree with Josh on a few things. I still strongly disagree with the Cutler trade. Jay has mostly performed well (with the noted exception of a few games) playing with dog****. Outside of a few rough patches, he's shown he's a true talent in the games and I'd love to have him here, still. I still wish he was here (and I still root for him to do well because he's my 2nd favorite player) and I still disagree with that move.

But McD and McCoy are to be commended with their work with Orton. Purely in the abstract, Kyle Orton is nothing special, but the staff has done an excellent job not only in terms of minimizing his weaknesses, but one can also see the progression of his game from week to week with their coaching.
It's not unlike Ryan Harris's progression as a starter last year. It's like night and day. First, he was shaky and mediocre (CIN), and then he became a more steady game manager (CLE and OAK) and then the coaches took him to a higher level of play (arguably elite) in the last three game stanza in particular, where he is actually making plays, while still maintaining efficiency and risk averse play. McD is doing a fine job making lemonade out of lemons on that front. McD is doing things with Kyle that the large majority of the league could not do and that alone illustrates his superior acumen with QB's.

Regarding FA, McD and Xanders have also done a stellar job. I liked the Hill signing but I was on record as being lukewarm about Dawkins. They hit a homerun with him. They also had the foresight to make it a short term deal as protection against aging. Nolan and his staff have also done a phenomenal job with the defense. I mentioned this summer that I did not care for the 3-4 in terms of how it meshed with our front seven personnel, but Nolan's definitely proven he's a miracle worker, especially with the front three. I am most happy about how the staff is helping DJ's development. You couldn't even imagine how happy I was during the SD game when he was tearing into Philip Rivers repeatedly in the 4th quarter and balling the whole Dallas game esp with that hit on Roy Williams. I am very happy with how they are developing the talent on that side of the ball. Doom is amazing standing up as an OLB and Davis is doing a fine job vs. the run. You can even see flashes of brilliance from time to time with Ayers. It will take some time, even Mayock said it, but he'll be a good SOLB fairly soon and should overtake Haggan by the end of the year. The turnaround on that side of the ball has been nothing short of amazing. I'm still not sure how they are doing it with that no name front three, but they are definitely doing it. While he doesnt coach that side of the ball, McD is to be commended for his judgement in terms of hiring the DC and various position coaches he did. They also did a good job in evaluation: they didn't spend a ton of cash but found good system fits.

One more thing. I would like to apologize to people who felt offended by me this offseason. My tirades were based on genuine feelings of disappointment and dispair at developments. As noted above, I still am upset on the Cutler trade, but Josh has done such a fabulous job of individual QB coaching, he's been able to make it work increasingly well without as much talent. He's making it work in alot of ways and proving me wrong on alot of different points. While I find tsiguy96 annoying at times, I think he was probably right to say we should have waited. In any case, I can see how certain people would be upset with me. I understand their rationale. I apologize for my clear role in making it a more unpleasant place. I'm sure there are several folks who also found the place more and more unpleasant (as I did) in some measure because of me. That's fine. I was upset but I see how that can make others feel when I project the anger constantly. I can see where my friend Popps and some others on the other side of the argument are coming from on that point. I will eat the crow. Josh and his staff definitely deserve their props on the coaching front. They've already accomplished a season's worth of expected wins in 6 games.

As a gesture of good faith, when we get avatars back, I will voluntarily put up a pic of Josh for two weeks. In the meantime, I realize I deserve some (alot) of ribbing and criticism and I'm ready to take it.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

who are you? No thanks, we have broncos warrior instead!
Hogan has a nice avatar for you of McDaniels serving crow while in a chef outfit... it would be perfect. Also, it seems someone found a post with your name on a Bears or football website around 9/2. Wasnt that you? Maybe it wasnt a Bears website so I hope I am confused on that. Anyways, enjoy the crow, welcome back and cut n paste that post to BF so she can get her butt back in here too.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 10-26-2009 at 11:16 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

welcome back...
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Kidding. Good post and welcome back.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Serving a table for one.......FWIW, I ate my crow on the Dawk signing eons ago. Welcome back.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Burn him!
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post

Serving a table for one.......FWIW, I ate my crow on the Dawk signing eons ago. Welcome back.
I just love that picture...

Good to see you're back SoCal.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Welcome back we all have had our share of crow. DJ is playing great and you know I have been one of the biggest haters of him but this new system and coaching is working for him. I got drunk on the first preseason game and said the Defense still sucked. Glad I am eating it on both.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Theres the pic! That is socal's new avatar once TJ lets us have them back.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

tanned and well-rested.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Too late, I already ate all the crow. I'm such a glutton.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
who are you? No thanks, we have broncos warrior instead!
Hogan has a nice avatar for you of McDaniels serving crow while in a chef outfit... it would be perfect. Also, it seems someone found a post with your name on a Bears or football website around 9/2. Wasnt that you? Maybe it wasnt a Bears website so I hope I am confused on that. Anyways, enjoy the crow, welcome back and cut n paste that post to BF so she can get her butt back in here too.
I haven't posted on a Bears site or any other NFL team site this season....and yes, that Hogan crow pic would make a fine avatar.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Orton nothing special? Have you freaking watched the games?If you're gonna eat crow than have a full helping, don't just nibble on a wing...
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #14
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

You know Cutler has 10 picks right? and 9 of them have been in their 3 losses?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
Orton nothing special? Have you freaking watched the games?If you're gonna eat crow than have a full helping, don't just nibble on a wing...
In the abstract...he is nothing special. But with the coaching he's got from McD and McCoy, they've turned him into something he hasn't even remotely resembled since he's been in the league. They got him up to game manager level and now they've got him even higher than that....but yes...I think purely in the abstract, he isn't special. They're just doing a super job of coaching him up and they definitely deserve super props for individual (position) coaching ability.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
In the abstract...he is nothing special. But with the coaching he's got from McD and McCoy, they've turned him into something he hasn't even remotely resembled since he's been in the league. They got him up to game manager level and now they've got him even higher than that....but yes...I think purely in the abstract, he isn't special. They're just doing a super job of coaching him up and they definitely deserve super props for individual (position) coaching ability.
He's bright, understands the game, and is a winner. None of these are new. He just is allowed to throw the ball in a more qb friendly system.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
You know Cutler has 10 picks right? and 9 of them have been in their 3 losses?
He continues to throw some high risk passes, but he's looked pretty damn good more often than not. I wish he'd cut down on the risk taking, but it seems that's just part of the game. If you took the gunslinger element out of his game, while he'd have alot fewer picks, you'd also rob him of all the great plays. They go hand in hand. Just like Favre.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Socal, not to let the cat out of the bag but Favre is a winner and always has been.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
He continues to throw some high risk passes, but he's looked pretty damn good more often than not. I wish he'd cut down on the risk taking, but it seems that's just part of the game. If you took the gunslinger element out of his game, while he'd have alot fewer picks, you'd also rob him of all the great plays. They go hand in hand. Just like Favre.
Just like the farve that sucks. When Farve wins, it's when he is more like Orton, and less like Cutler. I'm sick of this comparison, because it only highlights the good about Farve and ignores all the bad years he has had and the 4 int playoff games...

When Farve plays well, he doesn't throw picks and he is a three time mvp.

Cutler is not anything like that Farve.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Clockwork Orange
Persona Non Grata

I seen him!

Good to see you again SoCal.
Clockwork Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #21
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah lets throw ints in the first 3 quarters so that we fall behind and i can come out gunslinging in the 4th, makes sense..Oh and he aint anywhere near what Favre is.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

SoCal,

As I have mentioned on many occasions... you were definitely friendly fire in this whole thing. There are a bunch of no-shows who I think most of us are glad are history. You weren't one of them. When on top of your game, you are among the most interesting posters on this entire forum to read.... and you're on my short-list of "posters worth paying attention to."

A few thoughts...

Actually, one demand...

You will NEVER let this nonsense affect your personal well-being again. This is a football forum filled with morons, on a good day. This stuff is to be taken for what it's worth, and forum-smack is just that. Promise me you'll never take any of this nonsense seriously again. (By nonsense, I mean this forum... not your love for your team.)

Beyond that... props for eating crow. We were lucky to have Shanahan. You know damned well that very few posters around here racked up as many frequent apology miles for Mike as I did. I defended him from the Brian Griese crowd, the Ashley Lelie crowd, the Jake Plummer haters... etc. We've been blessed to have the guy and had him for a LONG time.

But, things move on... and we're once again blessed with the chance to have a great young mind coaching the team. McDaniels would cut off a finger-a-week from here out if it meant this team winning. The guy is possessed. As a Broncos fan, you HAVE to love that.

Now, beyond that... you've just got a couple of small areas to tighten up to regain your OM HOF status...

-Jay Cutler is garbage. Just realize that, get on with life... and you'll find enjoyment in every interception he throws, like most of us. Honestly. He's NFL-trash. Might be a great guy to have a beer with, but he's a garbage NFL QB, at this stage.

-D.J. Williams is good, not great. (BTW, you should be thanking McD and Nolan for finding a way to cover up that dude's lack of instincts and making him a play-maker.)

Anyway, I think I've covered everything. Now, please resume posting quality football X's and O's type **** that makes for good reading around here.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

"Mopey Mafia Member."

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #24
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
As a gesture of good faith, when we get avatars back, I will voluntarily put up a pic of Josh for two weeks.
Don't hold your breath on avatars ...

How about changing yer handle to SoCalMcBronco instead? If I can do it, you can too.

Nice to see you back buddy
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #25
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

page 1!! welcome back socal
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote