The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Drek
Ring of Famer

Default How Does it Feel to Know Orton Hasn't Even Peaked Yet?

Matt Cassel spent three years under McDaniels and Brady in New England. He played multiple pre-season games in this offense, including the entire '08 pre-season with the #1's.

He didn't hit his stride until Week 10, his 8th start and 9th game behind center.

Kyle Orton has only had part of an off-season (didn't join the team until after OTAs), broke a finger on his throwing hand in the pre-season, and is now only through six starts.

Lot of potential growth left.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Orton + the rest of the team constantly getting better as the season goes along =
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I suppose he could get better, but not much.

It's barely possible to play better than he has.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post

Not as a diss to Orton, but I disagree with this and I have a feeling McD does too.

Orton can get way better in working his way through progressions, getting more accurate, getting stronger, better footwork, and most importantly getting a better feel for the pocket and the pass rush so that he takes fewer sacks and has fewer throwaway plays. Right now the sacks and throwaways are great because they're not turnovers, but as Orton matures in this system I expect us to have fewer zero and negative yardage plays. Of course, that's all predicated on the sustained high-level of play by the rest of the team also.

Those are just things off the top of my head, and I feel confident that the staff are at least addressing those areas and probably addressing a whole $#!t ton more.

But like the sentiment of the OP, it's great to know that Orton will hopefully only get better and that where we're at with him right now is just the tip of the iceberg. At least that's what I hope.

Last edited by s0phr0syne; 10-26-2009 at 10:33 AM..
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

But it is possible.

Drew Brees does it most Sundays, so does Peyton Manning. Who says Kyle Orton can't continue to advance towards that upper echelon?

Every week he's gotten better in the offense. More decisive with his reads, more accurate with his passes, more comfortable with his various targets. Consistency is a big part of where we'll see improvement. Maybe next Sunday or the one after is the first time we see him spot us an early lead, or throw for 3 or 4 TDs in a game? Lot of milestones he has yet to reach.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I think BroncoMcBuff was being sarcastic.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I just hope he can one day be a consistent winner like Jay Cutler. Set the bar high. That's what I say.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I was kinda sceptical about orton he was scaring the shyt outa me with his almost picks and a complete lack of sensing pass rush pressure and moving away from it but i will admit he has steadily gotten better each game and seems to be getting a good grasp on MCDs offensive schemes, will he get better? who knows.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

He also hasn't had his first bad game, blown play that loses game, but it's coming. Every QB does that sometimes.

I for one believe more in the system, the coaching, the overall offense then I do Orton. Don't get me wrong I love him as a Broncos, I just think our great oline, great play calling, great wr could make quite a few QBs look really good.

Most qbs don't get the time Broncos oline provides. Cutler finding out how much more important that is then he thought.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He also hasn't had his first bad game, blown play that loses game, but it's coming. Every QB does that sometimes.

I for one believe more in the system, the coaching, the overall offense then I do Orton. Don't get me wrong I love him as a Broncos, I just think our great oline, great play calling, great wr could make quite a few QBs look really good.

Most qbs don't get the time Broncos oline provides. Cutler finding out how much more important that is then he thought.
If anything can be said about him it's that Orton has set the league standard for not having bad games.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
I think BroncoMcBuff was being sarcastic.
No, I was serious, he's been incredible. I don't have to tell you that.

And I hear what you're saying Drek and Soph, always room for improvement. But Kyle playing mistake-free, Pro-Bowl caliber football is such a huge thing for this team, I don't want to feel as though we "need more" out of him. And actually, I'd like to see us run the ball some more. I've always believed that a great defense cries out for a ball-control offense.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

This has been a theme of mine for a while now. Orton has gotten better by leaps & bounds every week. He has proved to be both smart and calm, two attributes that in this system will give you a very high ceiling.I do believe Orton is on his way to becoming a top tier QB. Before it's all said and done I believe he will be mentioned with the Bradys & Brees' of the league. In fact I'm gonna go ahead and call it....

Kyle Orton will be MVP before he is done.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Kyle Orton will be MVP before he is done.
To me this is a massively premature statement. He's not even the MVP on our team yet, give him a chance. Besides, cuts is right, at some point he he will have a bad game.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Not as a diss to Orton, but I disagree with this and I have a feeling McD does too.

Orton can get way better in working his way through progressions, getting more accurate, getting stronger, better footwork, and most importantly getting a better feel for the pocket and the pass rush so that he takes fewer sacks and has fewer throwaway plays. Right now the sacks and throwaways are great because they're not turnovers, but as Orton matures in this system I expect us to have fewer zero and negative yardage plays. Of course, that's all predicated on the sustained high-level of play by the rest of the team also.

Those are just things off the top of my head, and I feel confident that the staff are at least addressing those areas and probably addressing a whole $#!t ton more.

But like the sentiment of the OP, it's great to know that Orton will hopefully only get better and that where we're at with him right now is just the tip of the iceberg. At least that's what I hope.
Yep.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
To me this is a massively premature statement. He's not even the MVP on our team yet, give him a chance. Besides, cuts is right, at some point he he will have a bad game.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think that one of the main skills of the "elite" QBs (Brady, Payton) is their ability to read the Ds. One of the ways they do this by spending a whole lot of time studying film. They can run through their progressions that much quicker. The thing that always amazes me about Brady is how he spreads the ball around. He has no "favorite" receiver. It's whoever is open on a particular play against a particular defense. I think Orton definitely has the skill to get to that level, especially with Josh coaching him.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Well we all have our opinions so far this season all of mine have been right and all of yours have been wrong. Just sayin...

I would also suspect you have massively premature ejaculations but that would be better dealt with in another thread.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Orton has left some plays on the field, so yeah, he can do better.

He has also exceeded my expectations of which I had none.

I would just like to see him (and the offense) start games better.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i agree my man. I was saying the same thing over at BF. For some reason i thought cassell did it in like 5-6 games. Not 10. but whatever, thats what i expect Orton to do aswell.

And you are right we are seeing it, and he is getting better each and every week.

Someone alluded to this also. He is seeing the play better and getting his reads in a lot lot faster. Before and in preseason, there were numerous plays where we could see guys wide open. And he would miss them or place the ball in not such a good way.

But as his reads get better and faster, he is also more confident of the throws and is really placing them nicely.

Sure every qb has bad games, he is not immune to that either, but one bad game does not ruin the season. If we can go 11+ wins and win a playoff game i say he could be in high contention for MVP.

Also, it appears Jmcd got the message that his stupid trap,guard pull play is not as effective and he thinks. And will be calling that play less and less, esp on short yardage. That IMO will boost the run game by a high high standard. Maybe not against the black birds as they always shut down peoples run game. But i still look for marked improvement in that aspect.

KO has made me a believer. He still struggles under pressure more than i would like. But he is climbing the mountain and the view from the top will be very pretty when he gets there.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Orton has left some plays on the field, so yeah, he can do better.

He has also exceeded my expectations of which I had none.

I would just like to see him (and the offense) start games better.
I miss the days when Elway would lead us to 3 or 4 first half TD's! I have faith in Orton, not flashy, but he gets the job done and the players like him.

His initials are KO for a reason!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #21
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

If Kyle Orton plays exactly at the level he is at right now, and by that I mean no interceptions and high 4th quarter efficiency, I will be supremely happy.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

He's had just two games w/o the glove, right?
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

When Kyle peaks, youre gonna feel it

He is gonna peak all over some unsuspecting team and its gonna get ugly
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #24
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
No, I was serious, he's been incredible. I don't have to tell you that.

And I hear what you're saying Drek and Soph, always room for improvement. But Kyle playing mistake-free, Pro-Bowl caliber football is such a huge thing for this team, I don't want to feel as though we "need more" out of him. And actually, I'd like to see us run the ball some more. I've always believed that a great defense cries out for a ball-control offense.
I'd be surprised if we can get consistently good at running the ball this season. Moreno is only a rook, Buckhalter's first year here and the OL adjusting to the blocking schemes. They've made an excellent adjustment to the pass blocking involved in the new offense but the run-blocking will take a lot more work and possibly a different body or 2 internally, next season.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

actually he and the offense are all leaving a lot of yards and points on the field now. rhythm still hasn't fully hit yet, he is still building a rapport with his receivers and the timing on throws and routes hasn't been mastered yet.

he is playing fantastic now, but he can still get a hell of a lot better.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote