The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Default Whats up with our running game?

Our running game has been kinda hit and miss so far this season.

I get we are transitioning to a more power blocking scheme, so are we struggling against good teams because we dont have the personel to run it(interior linemen too small), or is this something that will get better as the season goes along as the oline gets more familiar with it?

So what is the future outlook for our running game, can be have an elite running game THIS year?

Also regarding Moreno, when is he gonna start flashing the ELITE talent he was drafted for, not that I am complaining about Knowshon, but I would like to think he can do much better than what we have seen so far
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

im hoping the same thing with knowshon but hes not getting much help from the line, and doesnt get a chance to run off tackle too much it seems. to sum up the running game, its kinda like he gets the up the middle runs for a few yards but buckhalter gets the outside ZBS type runs where we get the real yardage. wish theyd give knowshon a chance to break abig one doing that.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

until Hamilton and Weigman are upgraded with bigger stronger players we are going to continue to see our running game be just average.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Moreno to me seems like he gained too much weight in the offseason so I expect his explosiveness to come back as he loses some pounds. To me he looks a little sluggish and dragged down. He looks 20 pounds heavier to me than he did in college though but that may just be me.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
Borks147
the dude abides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Moreno to me seems like he gained too much weight in the offseason so I expect his explosiveness to come back as he loses some pounds. To me he looks a little sluggish and dragged down. He looks 20 pounds heavier to me than he did in college though but that may just be me.
Kids tend to lose a lot of weight during their rookie year - maybe someone advised him to go overboard so he'd be perfect by season's end?
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The offense in general has been pretty average at best. Last I looked I think we were something like 9th in yards and 17th in scoring? Very similiar to last years moving between the 20's but failing to put points on the board. My major concern with the running game continues to be the failings in short yardage situations.

Moreno is still raw and although I love how hard he runs, he's just not able to get up field quickly enough just yet. I'd rather see more of Buckhalter, who is averaging almost 7 yards a carry (compared to Moreno who is averagin less than 4) and seems to be able to make the correct reads at the LOS and get up field. Buckhalter has also been a lot more explosive than I expected.

The issues with the short yardage I'd pin more on the OL losing at the point of attack. However, I think it's on Moreno for those first and second down runs to get that average higher. Hopefully we'll see more of his talent as the season goes on and he continues to adjust to the NFL.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Whats up with our running game?

Um, nothing?

We're ranked seventh in the NFL and are averaging 4.3 yards per game. We're better than last year and our offense is still growing. What gave anyone the idea this is a problem?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

hhhhhhhh
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

To be honest, the entire rookie running back corps has been less than spectacular this season so far.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
Broncosfreak_56
Concrete Cyanide

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

To be honest runningbacks can only take what the line give them. Fix the LG and center and you fix the runningback problem. (although its not like we are doing terribly...)
Broncosfreak_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 AM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
The offense in general has been pretty average at best. Last I looked I think we were something like 9th in yards and 17th in scoring? Very similiar to last years moving between the 20's but failing to put points on the board. My major concern with the running game continues to be the failings in short yardage situations.

Moreno is still raw and although I love how hard he runs, he's just not able to get up field quickly enough just yet. I'd rather see more of Buckhalter, who is averaging almost 7 yards a carry (compared to Moreno who is averagin less than 4) and seems to be able to make the correct reads at the LOS and get up field. Buckhalter has also been a lot more explosive than I expected.

The issues with the short yardage I'd pin more on the OL losing at the point of attack. However, I think it's on Moreno for those first and second down runs to get that average higher. Hopefully we'll see more of his talent as the season goes on and he continues to adjust to the NFL.
i love Buck, but his runs seem to be more about getting him the ball outside the tackles and having him run outside which help his average stay high, Moreno is taking his runs straight up the gut, which makes him having a high YPC average a little lower.

plus with Moreno he still seems a little tentative in his runs. seems like he is thinking too much, worrying about keeping a tight hold on the ball, pick up the blitz, hit the correct hole, he seems to be thinking instead of just reacting and playing ball.

i truly think he is still suffering a little from missing a lot of time in camp and in preseason. he still hasn't completely gotten a rasp on the pro game. he is showing flashes of how good he can be, just going to take a little more time for him to get his mind right and we will see how good he can be.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
im hoping the same thing with knowshon but hes not getting much help from the line, and doesnt get a chance to run off tackle too much it seems. to sum up the running game, its kinda like he gets the up the middle runs for a few yards but buckhalter gets the outside ZBS type runs where we get the real yardage. wish theyd give knowshon a chance to break abig one doing that.
Bucky is quite a bit faster then Moreno. Not sure he would run those plays better.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Um, nothing?

We're ranked seventh in the NFL and are averaging 4.3 yards per game. We're better than last year and our offense is still growing. What gave anyone the idea this is a problem?
We averaged way better last year. We need to ditch all the power **** we do and focus more on zone blocking.

We also need to fix 3rd and 1 and our goal line work it's pathetic. I'm shocked we've never tried a pitch out or play action with a QB run option to get the easy 1st.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
We averaged way better last year. We need to ditch all the power **** we do and focus more on zone blocking.

We also need to fix 3rd and 1 and our goal line work it's pathetic. I'm shocked we've never tried a pitch out or play action with a QB run option to get the easy 1st.
You're not smarter then the coach so get over it. The fact you expect no growing pains with a whole new system is pretty funny. Team is 6-0 but that's not good enough, they need to ditch things and give up on them.

No sir that is not the way to go. Zone blocking is actually being used quite a bit. Anytime the oline just fires off in same direction blocking whatever defender in in front of them, that is zone blocking.

Also we have had some good runs pulling and trapping, Broncos just need to keep working at what Mcdaniels tells them to do.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You're not smarter then the coach so get over it. The fact you expect no growing pains with a whole new system is pretty funny. Team is 6-0 but that's not good enough, they need to ditch things and give up on them.

No sir that is not the way to go. Zone blocking is actually being used quite a bit. Anytime the oline just fires off in same direction blocking whatever defender in in front of them, that is zone blocking.

Also we have had some good runs pulling and trapping, Broncos just need to keep working at what Mcdaniels tells them to do.
Oh my. Sorry, next time I see our team completely inept in a certain part of the game after 6 games and the coach stating since the first game of the season they need to fix it, I'll ignore it.

All hail the supreme and mighty coach whose feet we all should tremble before in complete trust and absolute obedience.

Until we fix the 3rd and 1 **** I reserve the right to b**** about it because it has been costing us points practically every damn week so far.

Also about stuff not being good enough at 6-0... no ****ing ****. McDaniels himself says all the damn time that they need to improve.

Sorry if I got used to one of the best running attacks in NFL history and would like to see it retained as much as possible... a system that let you plug any ****ing back into it and watch him run for 1k... ****.

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 10-26-2009 at 05:28 AM..
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Oh my. Sorry, next time I see our team completely inept in a certain part of the game after 6 games and the coach stating since the first game of the season they need to fix it, I'll ignore it.

All hail the supreme and mighty coach whose feet we all should tremble before in complete trust and absolute obedience.

Until we fix the 3rd and 1 **** I reserve the right to b**** about it because it has been costing us points practically every damn week so far.

Also about stuff not being good enough at 6-0... no ****ing ****. McDaniels himself says all the damn time that they need to improve.

Sorry if I got used to one of the best running attacks in NFL history and would like to see it retained as much as possible... a system that let you plug any ****ing back into it and watch him run for 1k... ****.
The problem in on 3rd and short teams are putting 9 guys on the LOS and daring us to throw. For some reason we haven't. IMO the coaching staff will decide tweaking the play calling, practicing harder, probably a better idea then scrapping the type of running game that compliments Mcdaniels offense. You can't expect him to scrap what he feels will make the team a winner.

It's only 6 games into the season and the team is 6-0. You don't make wholesale changes at that point. IMO the smart thing to do would be to spread the field, then run the ball. Or maybe try hitting some big plays to Marshall.

I just don't think zone blocking will ever be our thing again. You still see it though every team pretty much runs some zone blocking.

If you look at the team that run the ball well though they are pulling, they are trapping, they are driving people off the ball.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

seems to me like our run game has been dominant consistently gaining 3-4 yards a carry not to many big plays but ill deffinatley take 3-4. only problem i see is short yardage we're getting stuffed but thats kinda expected with a more athletic o-line, our gaurds are small so short yardage is not our thing. we have had almost no negative plays which is always a big plus. We score when it matters and it seems to me we get better every week.
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
I think it is in our best interests to have a "bigger" Moreno. He has already shown he can take some major abuse and keep running the ball. Remember the "bell ringer" he took in game 1 against the Bengals? There have been several other major collisions in the middle that I was sure would keep him on the bench, but he kept coming back.

Remember, he is still a rookie, and he is still learning a very complicated offense like the rest of the team. Mix that with the fact that we have seen some different guys in at Guard in a couple games (which is where the inside run game is decided).

He is strong, smart, and resilient so far. I only expect him to get better as the season rolls on. The fact that Buckhalter is doing so well only helps him stay fresher - that's a good thing.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #19
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The problem in on 3rd and short teams are putting 9 guys on the LOS and daring us to throw. For some reason we haven't. IMO the coaching staff will decide tweaking the play calling, practicing harder, probably a better idea then scrapping the type of running game that compliments Mcdaniels offense. You can't expect him to scrap what he feels will make the team a winner.

It's only 6 games into the season and the team is 6-0. You don't make wholesale changes at that point. IMO the smart thing to do would be to spread the field, then run the ball. Or maybe try hitting some big plays to Marshall.

I just don't think zone blocking will ever be our thing again. You still see it though every team pretty much runs some zone blocking.

If you look at the team that run the ball well though they are pulling, they are trapping, they are driving people off the ball.
every team in the league faces 8-9 guys in the box on 3rd & short.

Morenos problem is he's not a short yardage RB. he has to be able to move the pile on short yardage plays and he's too small to do that.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

One thing I have noticed is that in the last few games, all of our big gains in the run game have come on zone plays, the guard trap power run that worked well in the first few games has been shut down quite efficiently lately. On that play you can really tell we have no lead blockers because against disciplined gap control defense we rarely create a crease.

The short run game hasn't been good and that needs improving, one thing I am not quite sure about is why we go to a power formation in those situations we have so much success with a more flexible formation and by having the option of the pass we can force the safeties away from the line or take advantage of them playing in the box.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #21
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Um, nothing?

I am on your side
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #22
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

6-0
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
every team in the league faces 8-9 guys in the box on 3rd & short.

Morenos problem is he's not a short yardage RB. he has to be able to move the pile on short yardage plays and he's too small to do that.
Broncos will have to try and make some plays. Whats happening is on 3rd and short, by trying to pound it over, we are playing against our players strengths. We are going to have to get more creative.

Like I said line up 3 wr, 1 TE, single back. Then motion Scheff out wide, spread the field.

Best they can do now is 7 on 5. Thats if the go man to man with no safety over the top. They won't do that they will leave one back, and probably play a linebacker also off in coverage. Now we are 5 on 5 and we can run better.

IMO you will see more formations on 3rd and short that try and remove defender from the LOS. If they don't respect the spread, then you throw it and make them pay.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think that Moreno and Buck have gotten close to breaking some big runs. I expect that one (or both) of them hit a long one soon. It seems like they are one missed tackle from taking it to the house.

It's a re-vamped system with new backs, so it will take some time. This might not be the week it will happen, but I can see our running game stepping it up in late November as we make a playoff push.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Short yardage is my only complaint.

I have hope though. McDaniels specifically mentioned it needing improvement and all we've done in those situations is run it up the gut. It's not like we've tried everything and failed. We've tried nothing else yet. Hopefully that gives us a bit of a game planning edge too.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote