The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Ref gets dumped

Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

yea, tell me that was an accident. what a dick.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Wasn't an accident at all. #83, two plays prior, was flagged for tripping a Steeler defender. It was a very questionable call, and it negated a Sidney Rice TD, and frankly might have changed the outcome. #83 was straight up out for revenge, and he got it. No excuse, obviously, but I am SURE that's what happened.
SouthCarolinaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Whats worse it was by a player that had 4 penalties called on him prior to the hit. When watching the film you can see 83 uses a little extra force to bowl him over. I firmly believe it was intentional.

I honestly believe that when it's all said and done he will be fined very, very heavily.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Ref's will be wearing Hockey or Jockey style helmets by next year ....
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Ref's will be wearing Hockey or Jockey style helmets by next year ....
Not excusing this incident, but they should be wearing the same protective equipment as the players, if not more.

Baseball umpires where more equipment than the players.

Hockey refs wear helmets.

Football refs should, at the very least, wear the chest protectors baseball umps do, and helmets.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

They need younger tougher refs and not these old dudes that can't take a hit.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Not excusing this incident, but they should be wearing the same protective equipment as the players, if not more.

Football refs should, at the very least, wear the chest protectors baseball umps do, and helmets.
I think they should be able to wear what they want to. They are grown men who know and understand the risks.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

has a referee EVER been injured in teh NFL before? why should they start protecting them now for something that has never, ever happened?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
Whats worse it was by a player that had 4 penalties called on him prior to the hit. When watching the film you can see 83 uses a little extra force to bowl him over. I firmly believe it was intentional.

I honestly believe that when it's all said and done he will be fined very, very heavily.
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/wow-re...ff-dugan-26659
Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:

yeah, and the LAST penalty called on him was a phantom "tripping" penalty on the rice TD pass ... next play? favre fumble returned for a steelers' TD ... 14 point swing ... tell me that call didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
has a referee EVER been injured in teh NFL before? why should they start protecting them now for something that has never, ever happened?
It has happened infrequently. I cannot recall any that could be classified as major or career-ending.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaBronco View Post
It has happened infrequently. I cannot recall any that could be classified as major or career-ending.
thats what i mean, im sure some have been bruised or injured or whatever, but nothing serious, and especially nothing serious enough to require more equipment that might hinder their movement and cause them to make even more incorrect calls.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaBronco View Post
Wasn't an accident at all. #83, two plays prior, was flagged for tripping a Steeler defender. It was a very questionable call, and it negated a Sidney Rice TD, and frankly might have changed the outcome. #83 was straight up out for revenge, and he got it. No excuse, obviously, but I am SURE that's what happened.
If that's true..then it's even more funny. I hate when ref's decide games..it happens more often than not. Hope the ref was ok though!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #15
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
yeah, and the LAST penalty called on him was a phantom "tripping" penalty on the rice TD pass ... next play? favre fumble returned for a steelers' TD ... 14 point swing ... tell me that call didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game.
It most definitely had an impact on the outcome.

You can't possibly be suggesting that the hit be justified on a bad call?

I agree the call was pretty bad although you can faintly see that when he fell there was a bit of "extra effort" on 83's part. Nonetheless, there is NO reason to hurt an official. It was cheap and he deserves to be suspended for the entirety of the season.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:

NFL referee's have to be very mobile during games. They already aren't very athletic and would just be out of position more than they already are if wearing bulky protection gear.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
It most definitely had an impact on the outcome.

You can't possibly be suggesting that the hit be justified on a bad call?

I agree the call was pretty bad although you can faintly see that when he fell there was a bit of "extra effort" on 83's part. Nonetheless, there is NO reason to hurt an official. It was cheap and he deserves to be suspended for the entirety of the season.
i'm not suggesting the hit was justified, but suspending him for an entire season? that's ridiculous. if that were to happen, then the official who made the questionable call should be suspended as well, which won't happen. that call was WORSE than the hochuli call last year because the Broncos still had to make 2 plays to win the game. today's call directly wiped off 7 points for the vikings and then the very next play the steelers' get the fumble return for a TD. 14 point swing. that's a disgrace.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #18
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMT View Post
i'm not suggesting the hit was justified, but suspending him for an entire season? that's ridiculous. if that were to happen, then the official who made the questionable call should be suspended as well, which won't happen. that call was WORSE than the hochuli call last year because the Broncos still had to make 2 plays to win the game. today's call directly wiped off 7 points for the vikings and then the very next play the steelers' get the fumble return for a TD. 14 point swing. that's a disgrace.
I understand the impact it had on the game. It is truly a bummer when a bad call decides a game.

My position, take it for what it's worth - I don't care if they had made 20 bad calls and Pittsburgh drove up the score even worse. YOU CANNOT physically retaliate on a referee.

If they do not make a very loud statement with this cheap shot, well, then I feel bad for every referee from here on out. The league will have to bring more ref's to the game than the team's do players. It will get ugly.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #19
anon
Seasoned Veteran

You definitely have to make a statement that actions that can be interpreted as purposefully trying to hurt a referee will not tolerated. They protect quarterbacks with all these rules and fines, and I would say this is even more important as it concerns the integrity of the game.

It's bad enough that there are occasional bad calls, but you can't have players thinking that referees can be intimidated or threatened with violence on the field.
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
I understand the impact it had on the game. It is truly a bummer when a bad call decides a game.

My position, take it for what it's worth - I don't care if they had made 20 bad calls and Pittsburgh drove up the score even worse. YOU CANNOT physically retaliate on a referee.

If they do not make a very loud statement with this cheap shot, well, then I feel bad for every referee from here on out. The league will have to bring more ref's to the game than the team's do players. It will get ugly.
i certainly don't condone what happened, however, if the league would take a stronger stance on officials' mistakes and players who "intentionally" (if the league can PROVE it) hurt refs, then perhaps blown calls would be reduced and player retaliation against officials would never occur.

i will say this, tho - refs blow calls that impact the outcomes of games far MORE than players take it upon themselves to hold those refs "accountable" by going after them during a game. let's see if the NFL comes out against #83 for his actions AND chastises the officiating crew for influencing the outcome of a game. i'm not holding my breath for either to happen.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

maybe a baseball style helmet that stays on but we dont need them wearing anything else. They are slow enough as it is. I didnt think about the hit being intentional. I do think the call was horrible on the trip and think it could have cost the Vikings the game as they were at least going to tie it up on a short field goal.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
I agree entirely as to NFL refs. They are a professional bunch of guys.

With respect to MLB umpires, however, I don't mind a bit if some of them get slapped around once in a while. Many of them have horrendous attitudes. A little fear of getting asswhipped goes a long way.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #23
carriefl
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

there should never be a reason for something like this---refs are professionals---as the players should be. mistakes will happen no matter what, and that is something that should has to be accepted as a part of any sport. a player should never take an action like this, but if and when it does happen, there should be a hefty punishment.
carriefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #24
Raidersbane
Perennial Pro-bowler

I think the ref was going to try and slow down the ball carrier and needed to be blocked out of the play. It does look like Reels is gonna try to take Harvin out and Dugan just wasn't going to let that happen......look at the film with that mind. I may just be playing the Devil's advocate here but still it does kinda look that way.
Raidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #25
Broncotilldeath
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Illegal block in the back.
Broncotilldeath is offline   Reply With Quote