The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Default anyone else watch that show @ the USFL?

it was on espn's 30 for 30 show tuesday evening.
i already detested donald trump and my hatred for him went up 1000% after watching that.
for those young uns that dont have a clue about the usfl, they signed steve young, jim kelly, herschel walker, doug flutie, reggie white and many nfl HOF'ers before the nfl did.
i recall going to a couple of denver gold games and it was inexpensive, entertaining good football.
we could all be watching good spring football today if it wasnt for that greedy egotistical bastard trump.
on the show they showed trump the actual 3$ check the usfl won in their lawsuit against the nfl(they sued for $1.6 billion). the look on his face warmed my heart. and on the way out trump called the usfl "small potaoes"(the title of the special). yah trumpy the dallas cowboys are worth $1 Bil. small potatoes indeed- and they Still would never allow you in their club.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

They kept saying how the quality of the football was great but that's not true in my opinion, I've even seen some replays over the years and the product was totally minor league.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

maybe, maybe not, maybe im thinking compared to the WFL and xfl and ive looked into the ufl a little. but if the league had been allowed to grow at its own pace... i mean crap the league had jim kelly and steve young.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

and before the announced the stupid kamakaze lawsuit at least a few maybe 8-10 clubs had better attendance than some of todays teams-jags?(mandatory)must buy ticket packages.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I liked it in the beginning but I remember they added too many teams too fast.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Quote:
they did. and got greedy. but they also needed the revenue.
i Liked the spring football even w/the NBA was exremeley entertaining_showtime. larry bird, doug moes nuggets...,
gimme the USFL anyday over the modern day NBA
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
19Morton77
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hope UFL succeeds. We need more than just the NFL. We no longer have NFL Europe, XFL, USFL and such. College Football then it is either the NFL or Canada. Why not have a 6 to 8 team league? Some guys fall into the cracks when they get cut based on their pay and not necessarily they have nothing left. I just wish they would have put one in LA/OC instead of San Francisco. I dont even mind that it is at the same time as the NFL. This could help the NFL get players that are football ready if they have an injury and need someone that week.
19Morton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

see this is what i dont get, being up here in canada, when the cfl didnt get the big money tv contract it was the begining of the end, now there is no doubt that the cfl is a minor league, so why compete with the nfl for half the season ? why not start the cfl say spring break and have the grey cup played labour day weekend, have contracts for some of the 2nd and 3rd teir players in the nfl like we have in the cfl now, that allows them to play for a team in the other league during the off time, then maybe expanding back into some of the smaller markets in the US wouldnt be so bad, but to try and go head to head with the nfl for the second half of the year and play offs is just stupid.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

The documentary on the USFL was awesome IMHO. I was too young to really know much about the USFL but everyone involved w/the product spoke positively on it.

And yes, Trump is an a-hole...
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Morton77 View Post
I hope UFL succeeds. We need more than just the NFL. We no longer have NFL Europe, XFL, USFL and such. College Football then it is either the NFL or Canada. Why not have a 6 to 8 team league? Some guys fall into the cracks when they get cut based on their pay and not necessarily they have nothing left. I just wish they would have put one in LA/OC instead of San Francisco. I dont even mind that it is at the same time as the NFL. This could help the NFL get players that are football ready if they have an injury and need someone that week.
They're putting a UFL franchise in LA next year...if there is a next year.

Players who play for the league sign full season contracts...meaning they can't jump to the NFL until the UFL season ends and by that time, it's too late anyways (although I could be wrong in that, not 100% sure).

I liked the USFL and the idea of normal spring football. For the life of me though, I cannot understand the logic of competing head to head against the NFL...that move killed the USFL and The WFL (which I vaguely remember seeing a few games of as a kid on TV....the UFL kinda reminds me of it with every team's uni's kinda looking the same and the 1/4 filled stadiums).

The CFL and the Arena leagues were/are just too frickin' weird to fully enjoy IMHO. I never cared for Arena football and while I give the CFL a glimpse here and there (living close to Canada gives me access to televised CFL games) I'm not into the 55 yrd line, 3 downs and the ultra wide field with 20 yrd deep end zones.

I'll watch UFL games and give it a wait and see approach (besides what else is on Wednesday & Thursdays nights if your NHL team isn't playing and you don't have NFLN?), but I'm not overly optimistic on it's chances for survival.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I liked the USFL and the idea of normal spring football. For the life of me though, I cannot understand the logic of competing head to head against the NFL...that move killed the USFL and The WFL (which I vaguely remember seeing a few games of as a kid on TV....the UFL kinda reminds me of it with every team's uni's kinda looking the same and the 1/4 filled stadiums).
IIRC, there was a lot of speculation back then that if the USFL won their antitrust suit against the NFL, they might eventually be able to force a merger with the NFL (at least the top USFL teams). Some USFL teams would probably have to move. I doubt the New York/New Jersey area would support a third team (the USFL Generals), Philly would have supported a second team (the Stars), etc. And what about the Oakland Invaders, plus the Raiders, or the Pittsburgh Maulers with the Steelers? Not happening, not likely.

OTOH, it would have filled some holes in the NFL TV markets at the time. The LA Express might have been viable, plus the Birmingham Stallions and Arizona Wranglers. San Antonio probably wasn't a big enough market at the time to support the Gunslingers (tho that has probably changed in the 30 years since the USFL folded). The Houston Gamblers with Jim Kelly might have given the Oilers a run for their territory. I don't think, tho, that Bronco fans would also have supported the Gold during the fall football season. But then, the Michigan Panthers would outright kick the Lions' collective asses for bragging rights up there. Even back then, the Lions were average at best.

I'm just as glad that nothing was ever likely to come of all that speculation. If the USFL had won, played in the fall, and eventually brought about that merger, I think it may have turned the NFL into the NBA: league bloat leads to too many meaningless regular season games and endless rounds of playoffs where too many mediocre teams get in just so the league gets more TV money.

Last edited by sisterhellfyre; 10-24-2009 at 01:47 PM..
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
They kept saying how the quality of the football was great but that's not true in my opinion, I've even seen some replays over the years and the product was totally minor league.
[shrug] It was a lower quality of play than the NFL, but not by much.

The NFL held a draft of USFL players in 1984, and there were a LOT of players picked. Many went on to play 5 years or more, even if they weren't household names. The list is out there if you search Google for "USFL players in NFL."

The best legacy of the USFL are the rules changes later implemented by the NFL, like the two-point conversion and instant replay.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
IIRC, there was a lot of speculation back then that if the USFL won their antitrust suit against the NFL, they might eventually be able to force a merger with the NFL (at least the top USFL teams). Some USFL teams would probably have to move. I doubt the New York/New Jersey area would support a third team (the USFL Generals), Philly would have supported a second team (the Stars), etc. And what about the Oakland Invaders, plus the Raiders, or the Pittsburgh Maulers with the Steelers? Not happening, not likely.

OTOH, it would have filled some holes in the NFL TV markets at the time. The LA Express might have been viable, plus the Birmingham Stallions and Arizona Wranglers. San Antonio probably wasn't a big enough market at the time to support the Gunslingers (tho that has probably changed in the 30 years since the USFL folded). The Houston Gamblers with Jim Kelly might have given the Oilers a run for their territory. I don't think, tho, that Bronco fans would also have supported the Gold during the fall football season. But then, the Michigan Panthers would outright kick the Lions' collective asses for bragging rights up there. Even back then, the Lions were average at best.

I'm just as glad that nothing was ever likely to come of all that speculation. If the USFL had won, played in the fall, and eventually brought about that merger, I think it may have turned the NFL into the NBA: league bloat leads to too many meaningless regular season games and endless rounds of playoffs where too many mediocre teams get in just so the league gets more TV money.
The Stars had moved to Baltimore by the time it ended, I think.

What I think would have been inereresting are cases like Tampa where they had the Bucs who, to that point, had little to no success. The Bandits might have been a more viable NFL team than the Buccaneers. It would have been interesting to see how that would have went.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterhellfyre View Post
Memphis is another city that rival leagues did very well in (WFL, USFL & XFL) but will never get a second look after the Oilers played there a couple of years before the stadium in Nashville was ready. You really couldn't blame the residents for not coming out, after all, why support a run away franchise when the NFL just jilted you for a lesser market (Jax) and the Oilers made it very clear they had no intention of staying in town?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
bombay
Ring of Famer

I attended the inaugeral USFL championship game at Mile High.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

The USFL was well-positioned with a spring league and tv contracts with ABC and ESPN. It was a lot better to watch pro football than figure skating or senior golf in February/March.

They needed to slowly grow. Trump got greedy and killed the league.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
And moved or shut down teams. I liked the spring football angle and vaguely remember watching some games but I didn't know who to root for.

I watched the show, it was a good Documentary but they should have kept the Trump interview run either at the start or end of the show, they split it up and it didn't flow well for me.

I love me some documentaries though.

The one on Nova about the hubble repair had the same problem, they jumped around when they didn't need to.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I wish they'd make a WFL one....I barely remember anything of it.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I wish they'd make a WFL one....I barely remember anything of it.
How could anyone forget HeHateMe.

They should make one on the Indoor league. Interesting that it died a year or 2 after the NFL bought in.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
How could anyone forget HeHateMe.

They should make one on the Indoor league. Interesting that it died a year or 2 after the NFL bought in.
You're thinking of the XFL....the WFL had a gold football, a franchise in Hawaii and played in 74 - 75.

It's biggest claim to fame was signing Czonka/Warfield & Kiick away from the Miami Dolphins for a boatload of cash it didn't have (ruining the Dolphins at the time) and moving the goalposts to the back of the endzone.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #21
TexanBob
Don't Argue With Me

You Know I'm Right

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darris Nash

The WFL was on TVS and scheduled their games for the summer and fall (like the CFL) and played their games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights to try to get better tv ratings but they just weren't on tv very often.

Their problem was they simply didn't have the money to stay in business. The early deathknell was when the New York franchise moved to Carolina about halfway into their initial season. With no franchise in the NY area, they were doomed to failure.
TexanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #22
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBob View Post
The WFL was on TVS and scheduled their games for the summer and fall (like the CFL) and played their games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights to try to get better tv ratings but they just weren't on tv very often.

Their problem was they simply didn't have the money to stay in business. The early deathknell was when the New York franchise moved to Carolina about halfway into their initial season. With no franchise in the NY area, they were doomed to failure.
All true, plus thay had a murderous 20 game schedule, unheard of at the time.
Like the UFL, most all the uni's looked the same, ugly variations of brown (in the UFL, every team has a similar look and a variation of the color green in the uni's).

I heard NFL Films did a History of the WFL segment once, but I've never found any evidence of it anywhere.