The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Ive got a couple questions...

First off, Id like to congratulate your team on such a fantastic start to the season! Only the true homers believed it could happen.

I look forward to our matchup in a few weeks.

Who are the biggest surprises so far in the year? Especially in the front 7.

Good day and good luck keeping the wins rolling in.

Last edited by BossChief; 10-23-2009 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: used tools to find answer to question
BossChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Every single member of the front 7 has been better than I expected, it's unbelievable.

The 3 D-Line men have been amazing though, has to be said. We knew the likes of DJ, Dumervil and Andra Davis could play a bit, but McBean, Peterson and Fields were basically considered scrubs. They had 10 starts, nine of them from Ronald Fields back in 2006, between them in 11 total seasons.

Yet here they are, forming the 3 man line on one of the best defenses in the NFL. Wayne Nunnely is an absolute hero as far as I'm concerned.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

The single biggest surprise in the front 7 has been Ron Fields. He was the backup to Aubroyo Franklin in San Fran and if you can't beat out him for a starting spot you shouldn't be that good, but he has handled that NG spot beautifully.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
IMO - DJ Williams looking this GOOD at MLB (again), I thought he would struggle for a few months at least while converting to the 3-4, but he looks awesome and is "all over" the field.
I think we can all still remember DJ at MLB in the 4-3 defense, not good!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Doom. He has made the transition in great style. But I agree that the three Dlinemen have been very surprising. And you can include the backups.....

But to have all the Dlinemen perform so well has allowed the LBs and the DBs to do their thing muich more effectively......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Fields, McBean, Mario I thought would all be bad or replaced by now. All 3 have really done a great job.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #7
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Has Ayers seen the field much?

When you guys took him I was like WTF, arent they supposed to be running a 3-4?

I wanted us to try and bring in Vonnie for a second stint in KC, if he was interested, and play Dorsey at NT but Yall got em.

I beat the drums for us to attain Nolan the second Gunther was let go, but we kept draggin the feet with the Pioli signing and then the Herm firing and we obviously never had a shot.

Im kinda disapointed we didnt attain a better DC than Pendergast. IMHO he is no better than Greg Robinson. I would rather they kept Gunther for another year than bring in another DC that doesnt mesh stylewise with the HC.

First we had Gunther (a firey yellin sob) at HC and Greg Robinson (a mostly calm sit back and think type)...that didnt work

We trade a first and third to bring in Dicky V and keep Greg....that didnt work for many many reasons.

We fire Greg and bring in Gunther who immediatly clashed with Dicky because of his yelling and cursing, Dicky said it multiple times that he didnt like the cursing especially and how he felt it wasnt needed to be a good coach....Gunther toned it down a notch (IMHO taking away his biggest strength, in a man with few strengths)....that whole mess didnt work

Dicky V steps down and the Herminator is brought in (another calm demeanored coach) ....but because Carl Peterson fired Gunther on the internet and was a little scared of him, Gunther is forcefully retained even though his schemes are the exact opposite of what the Herminator has dealt with. This is another epic FAIL by Carl P

Carl P is fired, Herm is fired and because it took so long and we were obviously already dead set on Todd Haley because we took our time firing Herm, now I want to be clear: Todd Haley will take this team where it needs to go, but I will cut off my right arm with a pumpkin carver if he does it with Clancy as the DC.

I dont understand why we cant get a set of coaches that are all on the same page emotionally.

Haley is obviously a firey sob and what dc were we stuck with? Another calm demeanored thinking style one because we got in the game so late, we had no chance at attaining a top shelf one.

It must suck to be Clancy, he was hired without a title a few weeks before he was made the DC by default as we were trying to attain a new DC and even said so in the media multiple times.

Hopefully he has something to prove.

Sorry I had to drag you guys through the heap of dung that has been my fanhood for the last ten or so years, but what are friends for?

I kinda knew McBean would be ok, and Vonnie has another year in him, but I thought you guys would be 33rd in rush defense and you are showing up.

Enjoy it while it is here.

I still say were gonna kick you guys ass in a few weeks.

It seems everytime we playeach other for the first time in said year you guys are undefeated and we find a way to put it on ya.

I hope to see these teams build to be division competing powerhouses like it used to
Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Has Ayers seen the field much?

When you guys took him I was like WTF, arent they supposed to be running a 3-4?

I wanted us to try and bring in Vonnie for a second stint in KC, if he was interested, and play Dorsey at NT but Yall got em.

I beat the drums for us to attain Nolan the second Gunther was let go, but we kept draggin the feet with the Pioli signing and then the Herm firing and we obviously never had a shot.

Im kinda disapointed we didnt attain a better DC than Pendergast. IMHO he is no better than Greg Robinson. I would rather they kept Gunther for another year than bring in another DC that doesnt mesh stylewise with the HC.

First we had Gunther (a firey yellin sob) at HC and Greg Robinson (a mostly calm sit back and think type)...that didnt work

We trade a first and third to bring in Dicky V and keep Greg....that didnt work for many many reasons.

We fire Greg and bring in Gunther who immediatly clashed with Dicky because of his yelling and cursing, Dicky said it multiple times that he didnt like the cursing especially and how he felt it wasnt needed to be a good coach....Gunther toned it down a notch (IMHO taking away his biggest strength, in a man with few strengths)....that whole mess didnt work

Dicky V steps down and the Herminator is brought in (another calm demeanored coach) ....but because Carl Peterson fired Gunther on the internet and was a little scared of him, Gunther is forcefully retained even though his schemes are the exact opposite of what the Herminator has dealt with. This is another epic FAIL by Carl P

Carl P is fired, Herm is fired and because it took so long and we were obviously already dead set on Todd Haley because we took our time firing Herm, now I want to be clear: Todd Haley will take this team where it needs to go, but I will cut off my right arm with a pumpkin carver if he does it with Clancy as the DC.

I dont understand why we cant get a set of coaches that are all on the same page emotionally.

Haley is obviously a firey sob and what dc were we stuck with? Another calm demeanored thinking style one because we got in the game so late, we had no chance at attaining a top shelf one.

It must suck to be Clancy, he was hired without a title a few weeks before he was made the DC by default as we were trying to attain a new DC and even said so in the media multiple times.

Hopefully he has something to prove.

Sorry I had to drag you guys through the heap of dung that has been my fanhood for the last ten or so years, but what are friends for?

I kinda knew McBean would be ok, and Vonnie has another year in him, but I thought you guys would be 33rd in rush defense and you are showing up.

Enjoy it while it is here.

I still say were gonna kick you guys ass in a few weeks.

It seems everytime we playeach other for the first time in said year you guys are undefeated and we find a way to put it on ya.

I hope to see these teams build to be division competing powerhouses like it used to
Wow, I just relieved the last 10 years through the eyes of a KC fan... it is disturbing.

Yes, Ayers is playing. He looks to be like a good OLBer in waiting.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

One mans trash(yes that a Stink reference) is another mans treasure.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Ayers is getting better and he plays a lot. He's been responsible for several QB pressures, and looks better than I expected when he drops into coverage. He's mostly a nickel player at this point, and being that he was a 4-3 DT changing positions, he has a bit further to go than most players.

Kinda surprised your defense is so crappy. You guys are in the bottom five in both offense and defense.

I also think you're belief that the problems in KC are purely a clashing of personalities is pretty ignorant. There are several teams with a mix of personalities in their coaching staff and are able to field decent units. Saying "the head coach is calm and the coordinator is fire and brimstone (or vice versa) so it won't work and that was the whole problem" is really ridiculous.

Last edited by Kaylore; 10-23-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I just don't think Haley is a good HEAD coach, but he deserves 3 years
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Chiefs problem for all those years was their GM - Carl Peterson.
I still remember reading how he swore at one of their 1st round draft picks, before trying to get him to break a hold-out, and sign a contract. John Tait, Tackle, devout Mormon, played at BYU, got up from the meeting and left the complex immediately (with his agent), ignoring the $10mil contract offer!

Now their problem is their coach - the guy isn't terrible, but from what I have seen/read he's a douche!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

I had this horrible dream the other day where the Broncos franchise went belly up and folded financially, so we all had to figure out what team to support. Then I realized it would probably be re-assigned in some sort of regional fashion, and the closest AFC team was Kansas City.

Woke up in a cold sweat.

Maybe that's why I'm feeling more sympathetic to Chiefs fans than usual.

Biggest surprises I've had on the front seven are probably (1) McBean, who sort of came out of nowhere, (2) Thomas - - it didn't shock me that much to see that Fields was competent, but they are rotating a lot and I would have bet that Thomas was a gonner or would have ben replaced by Chris Baker by now, and (3) that Dumervil made as dramatic a transition as he did. I thought he'd be serviceable, but I certainly didn't expect this.

Things that did not shock me: That DJ is doing well. That Peterson and Holliday are performing well. (Though I have to admit that Holliday is performing somewhat above my expectations.)

Had no idea what to expect out of Davis, Haggan or Smith and wasn't sure how Woodyard would figure into things.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

DJ and Fields are my biggest surprises well that and the fact Baker has been inactive all season.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
First off, Id like to congratulate your team on such a fantastic start to the season! Only the true homers believed it could happen.

I look forward to our matchup in a few weeks.

Good day and good luck keeping the wins rolling in.
Just an honest question BossChief, what do you think of Tyson Jackson? Last I saw, he was a rotational guy and only had like two tackles on the year. I watched him specifically for a few plays against the Cowboys and he looked like he got handled pretty well.

From someone who has probably watched every snap of Chiefs football this year, what do you think of Tyson?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Speaking of Baker, how is he coming along? Is he not seeing the field because he isn't getting it done in practice, or are the other D-linemen just playing that well?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Ayers is getting better and he plays a lot. He's been responsible for several QB pressures, and looks better than I expected when he drops into coverage. He's mostly a nickel player at this point, and being that he was a 4-3 DT changing positions, he has a bit further to go than most players.

Kinda surprised your defense is so crappy. You guys are in the bottom five in both offense and defense.

I also think you're belief that the problems in KC are purely a clashing of personalities is pretty ignorant. There are several teams with a mix of personalities in their coaching staff and are able to field decent units. Saying "the head coach is calm and the coordinator is fire and brimstone (or vice versa) so it won't work and that was the whole problem" is really ridiculous.
We have played a pretty tough schedule so far, but yes I am surprised we are as bad as we are right now, though I feel a corner is being turned right now.

I expect a better final ten games than first 6.

You maybe missed the just of my post.

Carl puts all they situations in place, I have held him at full responsibility for running us down the mountain.

The whole rant was to show how he was inept at building a well rounded team the whole time he was here (save the two years we had Montana....omg these were the only years we had a real chance at the whole pie)

Carl resigns LJ to the biggest contract in team history after being offered two firsts from GB for him, and traded Jared Allen. Then did NOTHING to rebuild his old and decaying oline that was on its last legs. Then he lets Casey Weigman walk for nothing because they wanted to run a power running game and he was too small..they scrapped the power running game 6 games into the following season for the spread which Weigman is taylor made for.

See where Im getting at?

You know how bad that drives fans nuts?

We seemed to only have offense or defense in any given year, never well rounded.

We basically have -0- to show for all drafts prior to 2006 (save Derrick Johnson) and even those are getting few and far between.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Just an honest question BossChief, what do you think of Tyson Jackson? Last I saw, he was a rotational guy and only had like two tackles on the year. I watched him specifically for a few plays against the Cowboys and he looked like he got handled pretty well.

From someone who has probably watched every snap of Chiefs football this year, what do you think of Tyson?
He wasnt drafted to make big plays, he was drafted as a foundation on defense and 95% of the time dlinemen take a full year to get up to the speed of the NFL game.

Tyson has done very well so far taking the double and allowing Mays and Vrabel to make plays. I also think his presence has woke the sleeping giant in Glen Dorsey, he is playing like a man possesed so far and is the reason Hali has also done very well.

If we are able to pry Wilfork away from NE in the offseason, he will explode on the schene next year.

I have had realistic expectations of him since the day he was drafted, so far so good.

Another thing that will help is when Derrick Johnson gets back in the coaches good graces and gets back into his starters role.

He has been inactive for two games and has played 1/2 of the snaps in the other games.

So far in limited time he has a Int that he returned 70 yards and a game changing sack.

We have needed him on the field and Haley has kept him off it, another reason I see us doing better from here out is that hopefully he will find his way back on the field.

Has McD sat any prominant player so far for you guys?

Its a shame McD didnt come from NE as the whole package deal, wonder if he and Pioli had a falling out or something....

Last edited by BossChief; 10-23-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
The thing that impresses me most about Ayers is not his play necessarily ... but that Nolan has him on the field on the most crucial downs.

That kind of faith speaks volumes.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I remember the Tait thing, He went to my College..years after me..lol! Carl was an a-hole!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
The thing that impresses me most about Ayers is not his play necessarily ... but that Nolan has him on the field on the most crucial downs.

That kind of faith speaks volumes.
Agrred but his play has been fabulous! The subtle things that he does even from the Cleveland game, setting the edge and keeping Brady from being able to step up inside allowing Doom to get those 4 sacks was unsung and unseen by most!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
We have played a pretty tough schedule so far, but yes I am surprised we are as bad as we are right now, though I feel a corner is being turned right now.

I expect a better final ten games than first 6.

You maybe missed the just of my post.

Carl puts all they situations in place, I have held him at full responsibility for running us down the mountain.

The whole rant was to show how he was inept at building a well rounded team the whole time he was here (save the two years we had Montana....omg these were the only years we had a real chance at the whole pie)

Carl resigns LJ to the biggest contract in team history after being offered two firsts from GB for him, and traded Jared Allen. Then did NOTHING to rebuild his old and decaying oline that was on its last legs. Then he lets Casey Weigman walk for nothing because they wanted to run a power running game and he was too small..they scrapped the power running game 6 games into the following season for the spread which Weigman is taylor made for.

See where Im getting at?

You know how bad that drives fans nuts?

We seemed to only have offense or defense in any given year, never well rounded.

We basically have -0- to show for all drafts prior to 2006 (save Derrick Johnson) and even those are getting few and far between.
This I agree with. What has killed the Chiefs more than anything is the constant restarting one thing and neglecting another. First it's "build up the offense" and then you do and then there's no D. Then you hire Gunther and add really nothing. That year the D is a bit better, but still complete garbage. Then you throw money at some marginal guys and by the time you get a decent defense, the offense is too old and falling apart.

So then you get Herm and he pretty much runs you guys into the ground. You finally decide to blow it all up and draft a ton of guys. Then before they're developed the coaching staff comes in and wants to get rid of them all. It's bizarre. It's like you guys don't commit to something and what little you do is always a little off.

Maybe Pioli will get things turned around. Who knows?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #23
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
I remember the Tait thing, He went to my College..years after me..lol! Carl was an a-hole!
From what I hear Tait is a pretty cool guy. He married a woman from my home town Melbourne, Australia, and has spent some time there, last I heard he was filming our amateur football league!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
BossChief
not a troll

not a troll

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
This I agree with. What has killed the Chiefs more than anything is the constant restarting one thing and neglecting another. First it's "build up the offense" and then you do and then there's no D. Then you hire Gunther and add really nothing. That year the D is a bit better, but still complete garbage. Then you throw money at some marginal guys and by the time you get a decent defense, the offense is too old and falling apart.

So then you get Herm and he pretty much runs you guys into the ground. You finally decide to blow it all up and draft a ton of guys. Then before they're developed the coaching staff comes in and wants to get rid of them all. It's bizarre. It's like you guys don't commit to something and what little you do is always a little off.

Maybe Pioli will get things turned around. Who knows?
see, we we're on the same page now.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #25
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
From what I hear Tait is a pretty cool guy. He married a woman from my home town Melbourne, Australia, and has spent some time there, last I heard he was filming our amateur football league!
He went on his LDS (mormon) mission to Austrailia if I remember right!