The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Denver vs Baltimore Breakdown

I was thinking about this after reading the Ravens message board on how we might play them defensively.

A lot of Ravens fans think that Oher is going to be able to mostly handle Dumervil. I don't think so, but what I do think the Broncos will do is move Doom around again like they did with San Diego but mostly have Ayers matched up on Oher. Ayers did face Oher and took him to task a couple of times. He lost position on him in the Senior bowl so there is a bit of familiarity there. I think Nolan puts Ayers on Oher so that he can play a role similar to the role he played against CIncy, keep contain so Flacco can't get out when Doom is coming from the other side.

The double A gap blitz worked well in the second half against San Diego but Baltimore has better RBs to pick up inline blitzes. However, if Ayers can keep contain on Oher and push him back reducing the chance of Flacco escaping the pocket in that direction, and then force Baltimore to bring the RBs to pick up the center blitz, that leaves Doom on the right side to come screaming in hard.

Their WRs are not nearly as good as what Denver has faced, but Heap is a pretty damn good TE. Him and Rice out of the backfield we will have to monitor once again as they present the biggest problem for us. I think we can go man coverage against their WRs and not suffer too badly with maybe Cover 1 bringing Dawkins up to spy Heap/Rice. Send either Davis or DJ or both up the gut at least once every series.

If we limit their run game like we have everyone else, I think Denver can really stifle Baltimore, even in their own house. Offensively this game is going to be more on Orton's shoulders than any game we have played to date. Despite giving up back to back 100 yard rushers (Cedric Benson who led the league at the time they played them, and then again to Adrian Peterson who is the best back in the league) they still have a very stout run defense and with Moreno putting the ball on the turf a lot, we are going to have to rely on the passing game more than most of us would like.

Their pass rush has been sub par this year. Its not horrendous but its not the typical Ravens pass rush either. They are going to probably compensate by sending more than we can block which means we will likely rely on the short slants and maybe the intermediate corner routes. We may be able to catch them off guard with some draw plays and Im fairly certain our screen can at least back them off the blitz for a while but they absolutely know they are going to have to bring the blitz because Orton has tore everyone up with the time he has to throw the ball.

Orton's ability to look Reed off is key here. Reed is undisciplined and a freelancer but if the QB cant look him off he is a sneaky ballhawk too. This is really key to the game here. Orton vs Reed.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I like Oher a LOT, and think he has a great chance to grow into a HoF player barring injury. But that's not now, and he has a slim chance to be able to take on Elvis all day long.

Their entire OL is pretty garbage. Flacco will get beaten up all night long. Still, he has almost a Phyllis Rivers like ability to take it and deliver the ball well.

Regardless, time in in the pocket, and quality of receivers as opposed to our defensive pass rush and coverage ability and I'd say there's no chance they score MORE than 13 without a legitimate turnover (end of half or end of game hail mary attempt at a score does not count, nor do I count the prior against Orton)

Defensively, Kelly Gregg is aging and it's starting to show and we will be able to capitalize against this. I expect some great effort from Foxworth playing his former team, but he truly can't physically match up with Brandon.

I expect a Broncos win by 10+ pts.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I like Oher a LOT, and think he has a great chance to grow into a HoF player barring injury. But that's not now, and he has a slim chance to be able to take on Elvis all day long.

Their entire OL is pretty garbage. Flacco will get beaten up all night long. Still, he has almost a Phyllis Rivers like ability to take it and deliver the ball well.

Regardless, time in in the pocket, and quality of receivers as opposed to our defensive pass rush and coverage ability and I'd say there's no chance they score MORE than 13 without a legitimate turnover (end of half or end of game hail mary attempt at a score does not count, nor do I count the prior against Orton)

Defensively, Kelly Gregg is aging and it's starting to show and we will be able to capitalize against this. I expect some great effort from Foxworth playing his former team, but he truly can't physically match up with Brandon.

I expect a Broncos win by 10+ pts.
I certainly do not expect them to score more than 17, the most our DEFENSE has allowed all season.

Whether or not we can score more than 20....I think so but damn it gets loud in Baltimore. THat stadium was rocking when they played the Bengals. Granted that was a divisional game and they were undefeated at the time but they got some pretty damn good fans and home field is nothing to be scoffed at.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I certainly do not expect them to score more than 17, the most our DEFENSE has allowed all season.

Whether or not we can score more than 20....I think so but damn it gets loud in Baltimore. THat stadium was rocking when they played the Bengals. Granted that was a divisional game and they were undefeated at the time but they got some pretty damn good fans and home field is nothing to be scoffed at.
This team has traveled well this year... maybe even more so than the past two years (won more away games than home games, I think?)

Also, Baltimore has been VERY poor vs the pass this season, and showing that they miss Rex Ryan all around.

17th in overall defense is a horrid ranking for such a long-standing proud defensive team.

22nd in scoring defense

8 against the rush

22nd against the pass

This isn't last years Baltimore D.

As for the homefield:

They're 2-1 at home... wins coming against KC and Cleveland.

As for your points scoring concern:

KC scored 24 IN Baltimore.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Fair enough.

I mean I am fairly certain we can win this game but despite all the stats to the contrary, I hate going to Baltimore and playing early games, especially against a desperate team coming off a bye.

Just smells like bad juju.

Again I am confident we CAN win, just having my reservations. Only other reservation Ive had this year was against New England.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Fair enough.

I mean I am fairly certain we can win this game but despite all the stats to the contrary, I hate going to Baltimore and playing early games, especially against a desperate team coming off a bye.

Just smells like bad juju.

Again I am confident we CAN win, just having my reservations. Only other reservation Ive had this year was against New England.
I understand, but I've personally seen enough.

They WILL be a desperate team coming off a bye.

We WILL be a better PREPARED team coming off a bye.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I think we got a team that can keep their heads in a hostile environment. We all know we have great veteran leadership and this a situation where that pays off they will marginalize the Raven's home field advantage.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

why keep doom going up against Oher ? move him around ........
Flacco is the real deal , even with moving doom around and getting pressure Flacco will make some plays .......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I think we got a team that can keep their heads in a hostile environment. We all know we have great veteran leadership and this a situation where that pays off they will marginalize the Raven's home field advantage.
Off topic: You're a baddddddddddddd man, baja...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

How the hell is that off topic Alec said in every post he made that he fears the Ravens IN Baltimore. I think this team's "us against the world" attitude not only minimizes that advantage but even positively plays off it for resolve.

Edit Oh! I see. Well whatever.

Last edited by baja; 10-21-2009 at 09:54 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #11
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

I think it might be Brandon or Royal's break out game this year.

Their D has not been looking too great.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #12
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Well the good news is we will see how they played New Englands offense a few weeks earlier, and McDaniels will be able to use that game to basically make adjustments and see what worked/didn't work. The flip side to this is the Ravens have basically already played our offense, so we will need to use a few new wrinkles to attack them. I see us trying to establish Moreno and Buck early and often, and if we can get some early success against them we will be able to open up the pass. I am concerned with Ed Reed basically watching orton's eyes and making big plays. I also think we will have to make a huge effort to stop Ray Rice, bc I don't see there wr's hurting us.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I understand, but I've personally seen enough.

They WILL be a desperate team coming off a bye.

We WILL be a better PREPARED team coming off a bye.
Rep!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #14
TheDave
Sauced...

Can they really start 7-0?

Really?

Again I look at the match ups and we seem to be a bad match for Baltimore at several key positions... We start 7-0 and I might have to bump that 13-3 montrose thread and grovel.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Their pass rush has been sub par this year. Its not horrendous but its not the typical Ravens pass rush either. They are going to probably compensate by sending more than we can block which means we will likely rely on the short slants and maybe the intermediate corner routes. We may be able to catch them off guard with some draw plays and Im fairly certain our screen can at least back them off the blitz for a while but they absolutely know they are going to have to bring the blitz because Orton has tore everyone up with the time he has to throw the ball.

Orton's ability to look Reed off is key here. Reed is undisciplined and a freelancer but if the QB cant look him off he is a sneaky ballhawk too. This is really key to the game here. Orton vs Reed.

I believe their pass rush has fallen off because they can't blitz as much this year because they know their corners are trash. The Foxworth signing, at this point, is laughable, and a huge surprise considering Newsome is so good at evaulating talent.

If they do blitz, Orton could have a field day throwing the short-quick stuff, and Marshall and Royal will have a good chance of breaking a few big ones.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
I was thinking about this after reading the Ravens message board on how we might play them defensively.

A lot of Ravens fans think that Oher is going to be able to mostly handle Dumervil. I don't think so, but what I do think the Broncos will do is move Doom around again like they did with San Diego but mostly have Ayers matched up on Oher. Ayers did face Oher and took him to task a couple of times. He lost position on him in the Senior bowl so there is a bit of familiarity there. I think Nolan puts Ayers on Oher so that he can play a role similar to the role he played against CIncy, keep contain so Flacco can't get out when Doom is coming from the other side.

The double A gap blitz worked well in the second half against San Diego but Baltimore has better RBs to pick up inline blitzes. However, if Ayers can keep contain on Oher and push him back reducing the chance of Flacco escaping the pocket in that direction, and then force Baltimore to bring the RBs to pick up the center blitz, that leaves Doom on the right side to come screaming in hard.

Their WRs are not nearly as good as what Denver has faced, but Heap is a pretty damn good TE. Him and Rice out of the backfield we will have to monitor once again as they present the biggest problem for us. I think we can go man coverage against their WRs and not suffer too badly with maybe Cover 1 bringing Dawkins up to spy Heap/Rice. Send either Davis or DJ or both up the gut at least once every series.

If we limit their run game like we have everyone else, I think Denver can really stifle Baltimore, even in their own house. Offensively this game is going to be more on Orton's shoulders than any game we have played to date. Despite giving up back to back 100 yard rushers (Cedric Benson who led the league at the time they played them, and then again to Adrian Peterson who is the best back in the league) they still have a very stout run defense and with Moreno putting the ball on the turf a lot, we are going to have to rely on the passing game more than most of us would like.

Great post. One thing that has always been the straw that breaks the camel back are the early games on the east coast. Brady was talkingabout their upcoming game in the UK and mentioned the "jetlag" issue. He said it's just mental. I disagree. I used to do quite a bit of long distance travel and still travel a bit, and I can attest to the fact that it's easier traveling west than east. Don't know why, but that's how it "works/affects" me.
So, why don't we arrive a day, or two earlier to get acclimated to the time/bodyclock change?
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I think the timing between Orton and his receivers has improved every week. Now that the messed up finger is out of the way, I expect the Broncos pass game to run the show. If the Oline can give Kyle time I would like to see a very "Brady-like" game with multiple receivers getting multiple touches. I think they will have to start with a real mixed bag of plays designed to slow the rush, screens and draws and slants. Maybe play a two back set for the extra blocker (Hillis?). This could be Brandon's break-out game as far as YAC goes. That is the Ratbird's number one vulnerability. Sheffler is in the middle of a hot streak too. I would game-plan a lot of short passes with downfield blocking to get the YAC. Force the LBs off the line.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

On offense I think the keys are going to throwing the ball to the outside, especially when throwing to the right since Reed covers a lot of real estate and is a danger to jump routes going over the middle or down the seem on that side.

As for running the ball I think the you want to try to run it right up the middle, especially trying to use those trap power runs with a guard coming around and locating Lewis and taking him out, Gooden isn't nearly the run stuffer that Bart Scott is, so if we can get him unblocked there is a good chance that Moreno and Buckhalter can beat him.

I think we will open quite conservatively, running the ball with power running and using the short outside routes to keep the cornerbacks honest. If Baltimore gets too aggressive with blitzing I imagine the Mcdaniels screen pack will come into play and we could see quite a few exotic screens, reverses, draws and some playaction with an outside route to try to isolate Reed in the middle of the field and get Marshall or Royal 1 on 1 with Foxworth and Carr.

Defensively we have to look out for the dump off and the short pass to the flat. The Ravens have pretty poor recievers and we should be able to cover them 1 on 1 most of the time, but whenever a play doesn't go well Flacco is very good at finding Rice and if we don't tackle well he can gain a lot of yardage.

Flacco is pretty good with evading pressure and improvising, he does have a bum ankle so I am not sure how that will affect him, but I think we have to show him some different coverage looks and try to come at him and raddle him a bit. I am not sure we have to be super aggressive in this game, just because we have a pretty good matchup in coverage and we want to be sure to shut down the run.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Can they really start 7-0?

Really?

Again I look at the match ups and we seem to be a bad match for Baltimore at several key positions... We start 7-0 and I might have to bump that 13-3 montrose thread and grovel.
I have my gif ready

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

I think we come out of Shotgun a lot utilizing the NE/Balt game film. Give Orton the option to call pass or run at the LOS so that we are only running the ball when it is in our favor. I think they might blitz like crazy to a max protect with the TE and LB might be necessary and will open some stuff up field as I like our WR on their secondary. Running the ball out of shotgun will open up their defense and give the backs room to run. Where them down with Moreno and let Buck break a long one.

On Defense stop the run and like Alec said guard the screen and check down game in passing situations. Rice is a stud. Calculated blitzes and get to Flacco and make sure you get him down when you get there and don't miss the tackles.

The biggest thing is play smart football, limit penalties especially the 15 yd kicking/spiking footballs, and do your F&*KING job and they used to always say in NE.

20-17 Denver squeeks by to go to 7-0 and become the worst 7-0 team by the media.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

For me,
Understanding Baltimore's blitz scheme is key
Can't get going unless we take care of the blitz
Kuper is key as well

Totally think we can win
However
I'd say Flacco us underrated
Stopping his screen pass is important

Say, by the way
How is McGahee doing?
I think Rice is taking over now, right?
To me, Rice is their best RB
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

This kind of game always comes down to the fundamentals: Don't turn it over, keep your gap integrity, first guy wraps up and makes the tackle, capitalize on their mistakes.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

There isn't much about the Bmore offense that worries me unless we just have a breakdown. I like Flacco a lot, but I don't think that the Ravens WRs can get off against our secondary.

I also like Rice a lot, but no one has run on us all year. The biggest threats will be Heap and Rice out of the backfield.

What worries me the most is just our recent past with the Ravens. They just seem to have our number like we have New England's. Of course with the regime change that trend may be bucked, but until it is I'll be worried about it.

The Raven's defense is more suspect than in years past, and if the offense can continue to improve I think we'll take care of business. I keep expecting a little bit of a let down at some point, but it certainly hasn't happened yet.

If the Broncos play well, I think they're the better team and will go to 7-0. Either way, I think it's a 13-10 or 17-13 kind of game.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Baltimore has their backs up against the wall, so I expect we'll see their best game. Even though they have been down statistically I can't imagine a Baltimore defense giving up a lot of points in a big game. That said looks like Denver has a lot of match up advantages in their favor, and for the second straight game I think Denver beats a team on the road looking at a "must win game".

Bye week can't get over with soon enough
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
For me,
Understanding Baltimore's blitz scheme is key
Can't get going unless we take care of the blitz
Kuper is key as well

Totally think we can win