The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Default So how much will Orton get (comment from Mortensen)?

I brought this up in a previous thread a few weeks ago. Many thought Orton would be in the 20-30 range. I thought 35-40. Below is from Mort's chat. He says a Cassel deal. Didn't he get 60 million?

Mort,With how Kyle Orton has played this year, do you think the Broncos are going to give him a long term deal?

Chris Mortensen

Interesting. Orton is making $995,000 in the final year of his deal. No way the Broncos are letting him go, so they can franchise him or they can work on a long-term deal. My guess is he'll get signed to one of those Matt Cassel-type contracts. And good for him.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Denver724
Ring of Famer

More from Mort.

John (Denver)

As a Bronco fan I love what Orton has done, but wow I hope they don't make a huge mistake and give him Cassell money. You can't give that much money to a non elite qb.

Chris Mortensen

Elite money is what Peyton, Ben, Eli and P. Rivers are making.... Cassel, Romo, Cutler deals, etc., are a good cut below that.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Bronco Yoda

Way too early. Orton has to show us something when the games really count.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Agreed ... but it looks like he'll be moving up a few zip codes either way.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
Agreed ... but it looks like he'll be moving up a few zip codes either way.
Maybe he'll buy Shanny's pad in Cherry Creek?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Yeah because these games don't count right now...

I say lock him up. If he blows up with huge numbers down the road it will be a good value.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Incentive laden deal, that could be a 60 mil contract, with team and player options for voidable years.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I would not give him more then 4-5 million a year. Orton is a Game manager that wouldn't be that good in another system. Also he has the best offensive line in football. If he wants more then the Broncos sign David Carr for 2 million . Carr could do just as good as Orton with our offensive line and in our system.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
I would not give him more then 4-5 million a year. Orton is a Game manager that wouldn't be that good in another system. Also he has the best offensive line in football. If he wants more then the Broncos sign David Carr for 2 million . Carr could do just as good as Orton with our offensive line and in our system.
**** no.

Carr is ruined. Shell shocked and will never be a good player in the NFL.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

you guys are funny

mcdaniels develops QBs thats what he does best.

no hurry on orton, he's doing well now, no need to go there right now

orton knows what he has here, great coaching, great oline, good teammates....etc.

he will take a discount
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think we should look at our options at the end of the season. There's no need to even be thinking about this now we still have 10 games to play
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Remember Brian Griese

and his early saviour type contract then remember the dead money we had to eat
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

You know what I find hilarious? The Matt Cassel angle. Hear me out here.

During the offseason, it was Matt Cassel who put the Cutler wheels in motion. And now, it's Matt Cassel who is going to help us re-sign Orton at a reasonable rate.

The way I see it, Cassel has been a flop in KC. Now I know he has no running game, no line, no talent period outside of Bowe. But he was supposed to be a legit QB who could really be the man. They paid big money for him, etc.

This might just be a crackpot theory, but I think people are going to see what McD did with Cassel in NE, and then see what Cassel did in KC w/o him. Vastly different outcomes. I don't think any other team is going to court Orton to be their starter. At all. They're going to assume he's a system guy with limitations, and hell, maybe he is just that.

I'd be in no hurry. I like what he's done so far, but I think Denver has most of the leverage here. I don't see another team offering him hundreds of millions of dollars.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

According to this site, there is no one on this team that is worth getting paid. Everyone needs an incentive-based contract, or they need to be given a take it or leave it offer. It's hilarious reading posts from people who are absolutely petrified that money that isn't their own, might be mis-spent.

If $60M is the going rate for a QB that's a notch below the elite QBs, then that's what it's going to take to re-sign Orton if that's the direction McDaniels wants to go in.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Please stop with your continued undervaluation of Broncos and your complete overvaluation of players who are not on this team.

Carr sucks.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
2 late 90+ yard drives to come from behind and get us a win against NE showed me that he has the ability to take over games and lead his team to victory. plus his 27-12 record as a starter and him kicking ass for us this season makes me feel he is worth Cassel type money. plus the fact that he has more than a single season's worth of experience as a starter makes him a safer bet than Cassel
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Herc, I see what you're saying, but for instance, Brandon Marshall could do what he does in any city. I'm on the "pay him NOW" bandwagon. I think Doom needs to be paid as well.

I just think that with Orton the team doesn't need to make any rash decisions or jump the gun without seeing what the market will bear.

I guess for Orton in particular, I'm not sure his talents will be high valued by other teams, and there's not a huge need to panic about him status.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
are you drunk? did you not watch the NE game?

when do you ever see a game manager lead not 1 but 2 drives of over 90 yards for TDs to get his team a victory against what the media believes to be the greatest team in the league?

Cutler couldn't do that with our line and our weapons. and so many people see him as a franchise QB.

also, the way i see it, a franchise QB is a QB that plays well when his team needs him to carry the load, has the respect and admiration of his teammates that they will follow him onto the field and give all they have for him, doesn't put his team into ****ty situations, and wins. Orton is all those things, and he is getting better as the season is progressing.

and give me a break on David Carr. he is so shell shocked and damaged that he can never become good again.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Herc, I see what you're saying, but for instance, Brandon Marshall could do what he does in any city. I'm on the "pay him NOW" bandwagon. I think Doom needs to be paid as well.

I just think that with Orton the team doesn't need to make any rash decisions or jump the gun without seeing what the market will bear.

I guess for Orton in particular, I'm not sure his talents will be high valued by other teams, and there's not a huge need to panic about him status.
i disagree. QBs that have records like he does, are the types of leaders he is, and the type of team player he is are major commodities. every team in the league wants a QB like him. if he hits the open market, it is very likely that a bidding war begins and we could be on the losing end of that, and instead of having a QB who can continue to build upon the success he is having this year, we have to start over again at square 1 teaching a new guy the system and watching the offense struggle a little while they get into the groove and get their timing down.

also, hypothetically if we get a 1st round QB, his contract as an unproven rookie will be of basically the same amount as a proven winner like Kyle Orton
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #21
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

wow. Some people are going waaaaaaaay overboard with the orton love here. Orton will REFUSE to go anywhere else after this season is over. Like wolf said, we can get him at a discount.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
dextermilo
Word

Rational cynic.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
You clearly think like the Chargers
dextermilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
You know what I find hilarious? The Matt Cassel angle. Hear me out here.

During the offseason, it was Matt Cassel who put the Cutler wheels in motion. And now, it's Matt Cassel who is going to help us re-sign Orton at a reasonable rate.

The way I see it, Cassel has been a flop in KC. Now I know he has no running game, no line, no talent period outside of Bowe. But he was supposed to be a legit QB who could really be the man. They paid big money for him, etc.

This might just be a crackpot theory, but I think people are going to see what McD did with Cassel in NE, and then see what Cassel did in KC w/o him. Vastly different outcomes. I don't think any other team is going to court Orton to be their starter. At all. They're going to assume he's a system guy with limitations, and hell, maybe he is just that.

I'd be in no hurry. I like what he's done so far, but I think Denver has most of the leverage here. I don't see another team offering him hundreds of millions of dollars.
Orton before Denver was a QB with a 21-12 record as a starter. all the guy does is win games, drink and grow neckbeards. unlike Cassel who was a 1 year wonder, Orton has started in the league before and has shown an ability to get the job done even before Denver.

dude is going to be in line for major cash somewhere else if we try to lowball him and allow him to test the market
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #24
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i disagree. QBs that have records like he does, are the types of leaders he is, and the type of team player he is are major commodities. every team in the league wants a QB like him. if he hits the open market, it is very likely that a bidding war begins and we could be on the losing end of that, and instead of having a QB who can continue to build upon the success he is having this year, we have to start over again at square 1 teaching a new guy the system and watching the offense struggle a little while they get into the groove and get their timing down.

also, hypothetically if we get a 1st round QB, his contract as an unproven rookie will be of basically the same amount as a proven winner like Kyle Orton
Look, I agree there is a lot to like about Orton. Seems like a good guy, teammates love him, etc. But I also wonder how many teams have a Top-10 WR, a top flight defense, an elite o-line, etc.

Maybe I'm undervaluing his talent. That's quite possible. I just don't know how many situations that Orton would fit. If you're a GM, do you really put Orton out there with poor talent and ask him to carry the load in a rebuilding project? I don't know.

Of course, then we would have to get into the whole "what teams will need a QB next season" discussion. Which certainly could be interesting.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #25
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

So I decided to look through the teams that I thought would be in the market for a new QB. Here's what I came up with:

Buffalo
Cleveland (Although I think they're tied to either DA or BQ)
Tennessee (Unsure of the Young situation)
Oakland (Same deal w/ Jamarcus)
Washington
Minnesota (If Favre were to retire, even then they may stick with Rosenfels/Jackson)
Carolina
Tampa Bay (Doubtful; they just drafted that one guy)
San Francisco
Seattle (Isn't Hasselbeck always hurt? Maybe not)
St. Louis

Sure, could a GM throw some ridiculous cash Orton's way? Of course. But thinking about it, would Orton really succeed in any of those situations? I don't think so. Actually, maybe Minnesota if Favre retired. They have all the pieces.