The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default How good can Kyle Orton become....

What does the Mane think, to what degree can McD coach him up in this system. Top ten QB Pro Bowl QB? Franchise type QB?

At the rate he is growing what is this guy going to look like by the end of the season.

Opinions?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
At the rate he is growing what is this guy going to look like by the end of the season.

Opinions?
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Reach deep Scorpio I know you got a good take in there somewhere.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Well I do think his take was good. It was an excellent play on your words. As its clear Orton grows his own version of the hockey playoff beard. So in reality that is an excellent reply to your question of what can he grow into!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Well I do think his take was good. It was an excellent play on your words. As its clear Orton grows his own version of the hockey playoff beard. So in reality that is an excellent reply to your question of what can he grow into!
Oh I see in that case excellent post Scorpio.

I didn't get the connection obviously.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
What does the Mane think, to what degree can McD coach him up in this system. Top ten QB Pro Bowl QB? Franchise type QB?

Opinions?
I don't want pro-bowls, although those can come.

I don't want power rankings because most of the media just sucks balls.

I love the way Orton leads this team. It's like Plummer without the dark side. Kind of a "we're going to just win and all the naysayers can go to hell."

If he keeps playing like this, he just deserves a superbowl or two. I just don't care about all the other stuff.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

Opinions?
4000 yards
24 TD's (1.5/game)
8-12 INT's (.5-.75/game)
65% Pct.
7+ y/a

Give me that year in and year out for the next 5-10 years and all is well.
(And he's damn near on pace for every single one of those numbers)

He's fully capable of those kind of numbers with this team.....And were he to do it consistently for a couple of years that would put him squarely in the second tier of QB's in this league....Eli, Rodgers, Rivers, Schaub, Ryan, Cutler, etc.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

I love the way Orton leads this team. It's like Plummer without the dark side. Kind of a "we're going to just win and all the naysayers can go to hell."

If he keeps playing like this, he just deserves a superbowl or two. I just don't care about all the other stuff.
I should have asked for a shot player profile. I was looking for what skills he develops, for example this long ball or his presence in the pocket or his reads etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

to early for me to make a hard opinion, but at this rate, if he can keep it up, I say sign him long term
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
He's already both those things, and we've only just begun.

The point in another thread where Drek compared Orton to Rich Gannon under Callahan, is interesting ... Gannon was good with KC, but became All-World with the right system/coaching.

That sounds like what we're watching now ... it's still a bit early, but it seems the same.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I think he will be a QB that will find a way to keep your team in the game, be a leader on the field, and may guide a team to a Championship but never looked at as a superstar player.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Merlin
Ring of Famer

I think he is far better than Dilfer, and he got some respect for leadership. With a good D and the righ O (i.e. McD's) I think he is more than adequate to compete in the SB. Yes I said it. I think he is good enough to play in the big game. He is far better than others that have gone there. However, I don't think he would be nearly as good with other OCs and players (he needs to be protected and needs a running game). I hope they resign him. He will be a very good QB for the system, and far cheaper than a superstar QB that is not necessary in this system, with these support players. Here is our version of Green w/o the interception problems that TrINT sometimes had.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Pro-Bowl doesn't matter, and short of winning Super Bowls, uprooting Manning and Brady will be nearly impossible anyhow.

If he performs with the consistency he has up to now, he will be a franchise QB. If he consistently plays like he has over the past two games, and/or expands his 4th Qtr play across whole games, he'll be All-Pro top 2-3 QB.

I think he'll pretty much hold course all things considered. Maybe a little more dangerous downfield over time, but he will give up some inteceptions eventually. Throwing effectively 0 every 6 games is not realistically sustainable.

I do like his leadership and fire, he's like Plummer in that way. I'm not afraid of thrid down like I was with Plummer, that's for sure, but not as confident on third and 12 or longer as I was with Cutler. Right now, he's playing really solid football. If he can continue to make the decisions and execute as he has, and then hit on a long ball or two, there won't be much more to ask for.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I think he is far better than Dilfer, and he got some respect for leadership. With a good D and the righ O (i.e. McD's) I think he is more than adequate to compete in the SB. Yes I said it. I think he is good enough to play in the big game. He is far better than others that have gone there. However, I don't think he would be nearly as good with other OCs and players (he needs to be protected and needs a running game). I hope they resign him. He will be a very good QB for the system, and far cheaper than a superstar QB that is not necessary in this system, with these support players. Here is our version of Green w/o the interception problems that TrINT sometimes had.
I think this is a very big, and often over looked issue and played a much larger part as to why Cutler was let go so surprisingly easy.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I know everyone wants to crown him the next great QB, but let us wait til the end of the season. The first part of season general favors scheme and the second half shows if teams/players has elite talent. The sound bite about "We are past my bad", needs to be factored in before we claim he the QB for the long term.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Kyle is just a system QB
This system fits him well, and McDaniels is doing a beautiful job "grooming" him into leading his offense
I'm pretty sure that at this pace he will be amongst the leaders in a lot of categories for a QB by the time everything is said and done

I seriously think that we would need at least 12 wins to convince those still on the other side of the fence looking at us. Orton has a lot of good QB in front of him to contend for a pro-bowl berth; Manning, Roethlisberger, Brady, and yes, Rivers if he ends up with some good numbers...
Yet, Orton's consideration may not be too far fetched. The success of this team will certaintly give him some votes...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Merlin
Ring of Famer

I have been a critic of Kyle, and it is his play, not kool-aid or the record that has convinced me. As to schemes, what makes McD's schemes special is that they adapt to the circumstances, so it is not easy for a D to just say "we'll just stop x and y". Also, many of us are not calling him a franchise QB, but an excellent managing QB. He is not in the vein of Dilfer (whose offenses could go for games w/o scoring a TD). He is very poor at the long ball and mediocre at the midrange, otherwise he is excellent, and he has the OC to exploit those talents. I don't think he is a great QB (a great QB would require far less support than he needs), but in the proper environment (which he is now), he can excel, which he is doing now. BTW, he is only going to get better, because this offense will continue to improve. Even though McD will not be able to use the deep pass like he did with Brady, he proved with Cassel he get create the "deep pass" with routes and player skills that are great at producing YAC.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

I would not be so quick to proclaim Orton ill equipped to be a threat at the long pass I have seen enough from him to think it is play calling that is holding him back and I bet you will see McD release the dogs against the suspect secondary of the Ravens. i believe we will see Kyle's long ball in two weeks.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

QFT! Who cares about stats, pro-bowls, etc.

I absolutely love this guys leadership and if he can lead us to some playoff wins and possibly a superbowl, then who cares about everything else.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #20
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

He kind of reminds me of Craig "crazy legs" Morton-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #21
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's funny how so many say wait and see how Orton does before claiming he's a great QB, but many aren't hesitant to label Cutler as a "franchise" QB even though I haven't seen him leading anybody to the playoffs yet.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote