The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Favre and Orton: Why the hate?

Brett Favre and Kyle Orton: Why the hate?
They deserve respect for how they have played
Rick Morrissey

October 21, 2009

It appears the Brett Favre-haters have been reduced to waiting for him to get injured. It doesn't seem like a very fulfilling way to live, but that would presume these people have lives.

It appears the Kyle Orton-haters will have to settle for rooting solely for Jay Cutler's success instead of perversely hoping for the worst for Orton as well. And here they thought this was going to be a package deal.

The supply of villains must be really, really thin. Whatever happened to the good old days when you could root against a guy who drowns pit bulls? People are left to be outraged at a man whose biggest sin is career indecisiveness and at another who had the nerve to get traded to a team that has found a way to utilize his talents.

Neither man sounds very fiendish to me, but what do I know?

Going into the season, the situation was ripe for schadenfreude -- the enjoyment of other people's misfortune -- but Orton and Favre have gone and spoiled it by succeeding. Some of you eagerly anticipated their failure, but it hasn't arrived. Judging by my e-mail inbox, some of you still crave that failure, but all you have to show for it are hunger pangs.

So allow me to take some pleasure in your discomfort. You're having a hard time finding your way out of this.

You hate Favre because he couldn't make up his mind on staying retired. Turns out there was a good reason for his waffling: He still can play.

You hate Favre because you interpret his jumping around after a touchdown as evidence he's starved for attention -- even though he always seeks out teammates for celebratory purposes.

You hate Favre because during every game, the TV cameras zoom in on his wife, Deanna. Who knew the Favres had the power to tell the networks what to do?

All I know is that on Sunday, the 40-year-old Vikings quarterback heaved a pass to Sidney Rice for a 58-yard completion that led to a game-winning field goal. Oh, and I know this too: Minnesota is 6-0.

The irritation with Orton is harder to penetrate.

If Cutler does well in Chicago, why must Orton do poorly in Denver? What's there to hate about Orton? OK, besides the neck beard? He has found an offense that perfectly fits him. He's succeeding with the same wide receivers Cutler supposedly turned into stars. Apparently, Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal can play a little bit on their own.

Oh, and the Broncos are 6-0.

Bears fans who are obsessed with Favre and Orton might want to devote their energy to figuring out what's wrong with Matt Forte.

If Favre gets hurt -- sorry, when he inevitably gets hurt -- some of you will be incensed: How dare he come back when he knew his body wouldn't hold up!

Sure. Everybody would have been better off with Favre in retirement and Sage Rosenfels taking snaps for Minnesota.

If you hate Favre because he had the Bears' number for so long, that's perfectly understandable. Or if you're mad because he's making it very difficult for the Bears to win the NFC North, that makes sense.

But if you view him as the Antichrist because he had the nerve to come out of retirement twice after saying he wouldn't, I'd suggest your life is lacking in some fundamental way. There are hobbies that can help fill the hours. Extreme stamp collecting, for example.

Both have played well. They've played well because they're good, not because there's some sleight of hand involved. Nobody could honestly look at the Broncos' victory over the Patriots last week and see smoke and mirrors at work.

On Monday night in San Diego, Orton was 20 of 29 for 229 yards and two touchdowns. And he didn't throw an interception, if you're into that sort of thing.

Rather than waiting for players to stumble, how about, as coaches like to say, we just tip our caps to them? And Cutler gets a tip of the cap here (and a $30 million tip jar from the Bears), not only for his (generally) good play, but for the maturity he has shown (most of the time) in the face of those of us who thought he was an unreliable baby.

I don't understand the people who want Orton "exposed," even though no one's claiming he's a perennial Pro Bowl quarterback. And I don't understand how Favre turned into Public Enemy No. 1.

Maybe the quarterbacks will be able to offer answers to these and other questions in Miami. At the Super Bowl.

Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1,print.column
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Only natural for Bears fans to want Orton to fail in all honesty.

If Orton keeps this up then the Bears have basically traded one good young QB for another, only they've thrown in a pretty hefty bit of compensation to make it happen.

Orton failing makes the trade a good one for the Bears. If he does well then they'll look back with regret on the picks they gave away to not really achieve anything.

It's the same reason Denver fans want Cutler to suck. The worse he does, the better the trade looks for Denver. So naturally, we want him to fail.

Except BroncoBuff, obviously. I'm convinced that his lifelong dream is to get a handjob from Cutler at some point. With that arm strength, I'm sure he'd jerk you halfway to heaven.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't understand the people who want Orton "exposed," even though no one's claiming he's a perennial Pro Bowl quarterback.
As far as Orton vs Cutler goes, it boils down to excuses: people make excuses when Orton wins, and people make excuses when Cutler loses, which says more about the people making the excuses than the QB’s themselves.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
It's the same reason Denver fans want Cutler to suck. The worse he does, the better the trade looks for Denver. So naturally, we want him to fail.
Cutler sucking actually directly improves our compensation.

I find Favre irritating because he puts himself before the team. His constant waffling lead to the Packers selecting three different QBs over the last several years (one each in rounds 1, 3, and 7). Yet he still complained about them not getting him help. Its easier to get him help when they aren't constantly needing to worry about the next QB.

So he tells them he's done, they drop two picks on backups behind Aaron Rogers in the draft, and suddenly Brett wants back in.

You got to make those decisions before your team starts investing value in your replacement. If you don't you're a douche.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

you've got to be ****ing kidding me....

**** YOU BRETT FAVRE!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Cutler sucking actually directly improves our compensation.

I find Favre irritating because he puts himself before the team. His constant waffling lead to the Packers selecting three different QBs over the last several years (one each in rounds 1, 3, and 7). Yet he still complained about them not getting him help. Its easier to get him help when they aren't constantly needing to worry about the next QB.

So he tells them he's done, they drop two picks on backups behind Aaron Rogers in the draft, and suddenly Brett wants back in.

You got to make those decisions before your team starts investing value in your replacement. If you don't you're a douche.
What he said, +1.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I want Cutler to fail and the bears to fail to give our draft pick more meaning, but beyond that I could care less about any QB that isn't a Bronco QB or a QB not facing our D this week. Every other QB in the league is irrelevant.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

On a side note, the Sears commercial with Favre's kinda chuckle-worthy.

Besides, with Jamarcus Russell, Jake Delhomme, and Mark Sanchez floundering, there' still plenty of satisfaction to take from their failings.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's the oline stupid. The only QB playing right now that can overcome bad play by his oline IMO is Peyton Manning.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It's the oline stupid. The only QB playing right now that can overcome bad play by his oline IMO is Peyton Manning.
Are you sure?

I mean, Manning's o-line has only failed him one time that I can remember, against Pittsburgh in the AFC Divisional Playoffs in 2005 and he threw them under the bus afterwards and completely melted down in the game.

I dont honestly believe that Manning can overcome a bad O-line either. Very few QBs in this history of the game have been able to do so.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote