The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Is Doom going to break Strahans record?

He's got 10 through 6 games. He needs 23 to break the record.

So he needs 13 sacks in 10 games. It won't be easy but I think he is going to do it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He's got 10 through 6 games. He needs 23 to break the record.

So he needs 13 sacks in 10 games. It won't be easy but I think he is going to do it.
aaaaaaaand after that we'll watch him get signed by the Redskins or Chiefs.

(I understand we can only sign as many players as we lose to other teams if we make the playoffs in an uncapped year).
UberBroncoMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I think teams will start putting a TE on his side to help out the tackle, So NO, I do not think he will break the record.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
aaaaaaaand after that we'll watch him get signed by the Redskins or Chiefs.

(I understand we can only sign as many players as we lose to other teams if we make the playoffs in an uncapped year).
No, there is no limit on how many you can resign from your own roster. You can only sign a dollar amount of FAs equal to what you lost though if you made the playoffs before the uncapped year.

So if we lost a player getting paid $5M a year and no one else our FA acquisitions would need to have a cap number around $5M.

It has no relevance on keeping our own talent though. In fact if we go into an uncapped year all players with less than six years experience are RFAs, not unrestricted FAs. We can hit them with comparatively low dollar value tags that assign a level of compensation to them teams must surrender if they sign them. If I recall last year it took all of $1.38M to tender a RFA at a 1st and 3rd.

Dumervil, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, and even Orton fall into the "under six years experience" category and will all be able to be retained for pennies on the dollar if no new CBA is in place. It will likely put us in the driver's seat in terms of resigning them as well.

My guess is they all get tendered around that level of value and we start resigning them to front loaded deals before FA even hits, getting rid of the biggest cap hits during an uncapped year. No need to distribute bonus money throughout the life of a deal when we can just eat it all year one, its all the same to Bowlen's pocket.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
No, there is no limit on how many you can resign from your own roster. You can only sign a dollar amount of FAs equal to what you lost though if you made the playoffs before the uncapped year.

So if we lost a player getting paid $5M a year and no one else our FA acquisitions would need to have a cap number around $5M.

It has no relevance on keeping our own talent though. In fact if we go into an uncapped year all players with less than six years experience are RFAs, not unrestricted FAs. We can hit them with comparatively low dollar value tags that assign a level of compensation to them teams must surrender if they sign them. If I recall last year it took all of $1.38M to tender a RFA at a 1st and 3rd.

Dumervil, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, and even Orton fall into the "under six years experience" category and will all be able to be retained for pennies on the dollar if no new CBA is in place. It will likely put us in the driver's seat in terms of resigning them as well.

My guess is they all get tendered around that level of value and we start resigning them to front loaded deals before FA even hits, getting rid of the biggest cap hits during an uncapped year. No need to distribute bonus money throughout the life of a deal when we can just eat it all year one, its all the same to Bowlen's pocket.
This.

We have all the leverage we need. In addition to the above we also can use a Franchise and 2 transition tags in an uncapped yr.

Between all the RFA, and our 3 tags, Broncos can keep every player they want.

IMO Doom/Marshall/Orton at this point are locks.

Kuper I would say pretty much a lock also.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Ayers might start getting some sacks if the olines start trying to double Doom.

Also the more rbs and TE's we can make a team leave back to block the more you will see us only send 4 and play coverage.

We saw that against NE.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
This.

We have all the leverage we need. In addition to the above we also can use a Franchise and 2 transition tags in an uncapped yr.

Between all the RFA, and our 3 tags, Broncos can keep every player they want.

IMO Doom/Marshall/Orton at this point are locks.

Kuper I would say pretty much a lock also.
Lets not kid ourselves, Kuper is a good RG but he isn't a perennial pro-bowl LG like Steve Hutchinson. He'll get good money but he won't break the bank, he shouldn't be a hard resign.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I think teams will start putting a TE on his side to help out the tackle, So NO, I do not think he will break the record.
Problem is, he rushes from all over the field. He's not limited to just one side.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 AM   #9
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

doom is going to command big money,he's not going to resign for cheap. he'll get franchised or whatever,probably sign a 1 yr tender paying him 15-17 million next yr 2010. assuming they can't work out a contract.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I wish all 13 sacks came against Peyton Manning.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
you would think they would have figured that out already
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Depends on whether or not someone goes 'Brett Favre' and telegraphs the play, rolls right into Doom's arms, and then goes down like a shot dog.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Strahan at 10.5 sacks through 6 games.

He got 12.5 sacks in the remaining 10 games.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
doom is going to command big money,he's not going to resign for cheap. he'll get franchised or whatever,probably sign a 1 yr tender paying him 15-17 million next yr 2010. assuming they can't work out a contract.
If he continues at his current pace he'll win the DPOY award.

James Harrison won it last year and promptly signed a six year, $51.25M deal with about $20M in guarantees. He and Doom play the same position in the same general scheme.

You RFA tag him at the start of the off-season, put a carbon copy of Harrison's deal on the table with an extra couple million guaranteed (that you front load into the uncapped year) and boom, you got Elvis in the building for over the next half decade at $8.5M AAV.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Probably not. He might not get another one all year. Sacks are hard in today's NFL....damn hard
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Don't know if he will or not.

But we do have Oakland, KCx2, and Washington on the schedule still. There is a chance.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Depends on whether or not someone goes 'Brett Favre' and telegraphs the play, rolls right into Doom's arms, and then goes down like a shot dog.
This always annoyed me. Not so much that Favre did it to allow Strahan to get the record, but the fact that Strahan flaunts his sack record when he clearly was handed it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

A couple games of feasting at 3 or more and then I think he will. Otherwise, it's too streaky to predict too early.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #19
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Lets not kid ourselves, Kuper is a good RG but he isn't a perennial pro-bowl LG like Steve Hutchinson. He'll get good money but he won't break the bank, he shouldn't be a hard resign.
I somewhat disagree here. No he is not the steve hutch yet, but i think kupes is one of the top RG in the league, he just doesnt have the rep yet.

Remember when he was hurt, and we gave up like 6 sacks to the bengals or whoever...I was out of town so i could only read about it. But when kupes came back he anchored that position down hardcore like he always does.

No he wont break the bank, luckily for us, because he just doesnt have that rep yet. But in all fairness he has the skill and has played like it.

So essentailly i think we agree and are saying the same thing, i just think that kupes is underated and an Important cog for our OL.
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

well we do have pitts on the shcedule too.

Big ben holds the ball forever and the OL isnt to strong. So we could certainly see some sacks there. The other side is that ben is strong as shyt and can evade the pass rush and move around.

I think he gets a couple though on benny. i hope.
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #21
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Four more games against AFC West teams who all have bad o-lines.

He has a great shot at breaking it.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

The best thing working in Elvis's favor is that Nolan moves him all around the front 7. I saw him man both OLB spots last Monday, along with both DE spots, and he played MLB a few times during blitz' on 3rd down. They are putting him in successful situation to get him the record.

I don't know if he breaks it, but it will be damn fun watching him. Keep in mind, he's got a pretty soft schedule which will benefit him in the chase: KC twice (leading the league in sacks allowed), Oakland and SD again. Both teams has trouble blocking him. That AFC West schedule alone could provide 8 sacks.

Pittsburgh has a really poor pass blocking OL and Ben gets sacked on the regular. Washington is on a pair of backup OT's and Chris Cooley has had to stay in to block more to help. Philly throws the ball a ton and they have two new OT's starting for that team this year. Oakland just notched 6 sacks against them. Even Manning's Colts are having a hard time pass blocking. Tony Ugoh has been largely underwhelming since coming to the NFL. They've only given up 2 sacks but it's been from Manning throwing the ball so quickly, not great pass protection.

GO DOOM. Then when he finishes his pro bowl season, lets resign him. Actually, that extension should have been done last week.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #23
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Maybe if we played the Vikings in the last game of the season.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
I somewhat disagree here. No he is not the steve hutch yet, but i think kupes is one of the top RG in the league, he just doesnt have the rep yet.

Remember when he was hurt, and we gave up like 6 sacks to the bengals or whoever...I was out of town so i could only read about it. But when kupes came back he anchored that position down hardcore like he always does.

No he wont break the bank, luckily for us, because he just doesnt have that rep yet. But in all fairness he has the skill and has played like it.

So essentailly i think we agree and are saying the same thing, i just think that kupes is underated and an Important cog for our OL.
I agree that he is an underrated, very valuable piece of this team. Hell, after week one I started a thread on here about how he was the missing cog in our offense at that point.

But he's an RG, which like RTs tend to make less than their left side counterparts, and he hasn't made it to a pro-bowl or garnered any real recognition at all for his work. He deserves a good contract but teams aren't going to be throwing $7-$8M AAV contracts at him. A nice $4M AAV and some reasonable bonus money is in line with what he's likely to get if you ask me.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #25
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. That was a farce.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote