The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Running game looking different

We've used a mix or zone blocking and a trapping/pulling combo over the first several games but this game I didn't see any zone blocking runs. I think we must have run that same trap play like 15 times. It worked okay but I would have liked to seen some more different looks in the run game. They started to snuff that trap play there at the end and we kept going to it.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...

I wish we would stick to more ZB... I realize he is trying to work in more straight line stuff, but this line was built for the ZBS.

I'm guessing we get some more road graders this offseason.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I could have sworn buckhalters 16 yd run (?) was on a zone play...perhaps im remembering incorrectly
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Seems like the running game gets better as the game progresses. Not sure if this is because the defense starts to break down or if the Broncos RBs start to find the lanes.

I'd love for Moreno to bust off 2000 yards running the ball in this offense but I just don't see that happening. This is a grind-it-out running attack and it's not all that fun to watch. But, it's working...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I wish we would stick to more ZB... I realize he is trying to work in more straight line stuff, but this line was built for the ZBS.

I'm guessing we get some more road graders this offseason.
truthfully, Clady, Harris and Kuper have the necessary size, strength and speed to do either scheme. it is Hamilton and Weigman that are not designed for the straight ahead running game style.

we are going to continue to shift to a predominantly straight forward running style and occasionally mix in some ZBS when it is necessary.

i am actually ok with it. i am loving the straight up punch you in the mouth style of play we are doing.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
truthfully, Clady, Harris and Kuper have the necessary size, strength and speed to do either scheme. it is Hamilton and Weigman that are not designed for the straight ahead running game style.
we are going to continue to shift to a predominantly straight forward running style and occasionally mix in some ZBS when it is necessary.

i am actually ok with it. i am loving the straight up punch you in the mouth style of play we are doing.
Totally agree... I loved these 2 guys but both of them struggled at the POA a lot yesterday.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Seems like the running game gets better as the game progresses...
I don't have the stats to prove it one way or the other but I didn't get this impression last night. Running game didn't do much the whole game, but I think my expectations were too high so it was probably better than I'm remembering.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I could have sworn buckhalters 16 yd run (?) was on a zone play...perhaps im remembering incorrectly
I thought he cut that one back after he got through the line because the LB's for SD overpursued
missingnumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

Scary for the rest of the league...most who consider the Broncos one of the best, if not THE best OL's in the NFL. Once Hamilton and Weigmann are gone, McD will find replacements that will make the line even better.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
You're right.

We ran more zone blocking plays in the 2nd that got immediate gains. I don't know what game Zona was watching but it was pretty clear we were running zone plays in the 2nd half.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Otta trap bvlocking and we aren't as good at it, and frankly is isn't as effective as Zone blocking and letting Talented backs read and react! That is one thing I don't like about this offense!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

It had more to do with the style of defense, Denver was facing then shift in philosophy. McDaniels was attacking the weakness of SD front which up the gut vs allowing the LB to flow to the ball.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

What you all like and think the team should be doing doesn't matter. The coaching staff is top notch and there is a reason for everything they do even if we don't understand.

Fans going to have to realize we aren't that smart and team would be 0-6 with any of you calling the plays.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
I thought so to.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

mm
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #16
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

We ran a few zone plays, but mostly it was just power guard trap. The idea is sound since the Jamal Williams is out and the Chargers are short on ILB so challenging the interior defense made sense, although the outcome wasn't always as good as it could have been. It did however force the ILBs to honor the inside run and be close to the line which in turn gave us some good matchups on Scheffler with the safety and eliminated the linebackers from dropping into zones too far from the middle.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

The traps in the first half were not working particularly well primarily because the Chargers were blitzing consistently up the middle to mask their weakness at NT. Good news here is that Ron Fields is as good as advertised.

Just like everything else with the offense right now, the running plays are not particularly effective. However, they are also extremely low risk. The change of getting stuffed behind the line for negative yardage is lower. This is one area that I think Josh needs to open up. New England has had marginal at best runners, and so this low risk/return makes sense. But Denver is capable of really opening the taps with Moreno and the ZBS.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
The traps in the first half were not working particularly well primarily because the Chargers were blitzing consistently up the middle to mask their weakness at NT. Good news here is that Ron Fields is as good as advertised.

Just like everything else with the offense right now, the running plays are not particularly effective. However, they are also extremely low risk. The change of getting stuffed behind the line for negative yardage is lower. This is one area that I think Josh needs to open up. New England has had marginal at best runners, and so this low risk/return makes sense. But Denver is capable of really opening the taps with Moreno and the ZBS.
You are really getting annoying with your revisionist history. Coming into last night, we were 6th in the league in rushing I believe. Even last night, our running game helped bully them at the end of the game (we rushed for over 100, but yes, they did play it well). The last two weeks, our offense has been incredibly effective. We put up something like 330 (?) yards last night and didnt have two drives because of ST TDs.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I think what people are over looking is the fact the Chargers played about as well as they can play and still we beat them. Did anyone else notice in the 4th quarter the Charger offense had enough of the Broncos D they just wanted the game to be over.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
Will Wayfarer
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

I noticed Moreno running a fair number of ZB plays. It seemed to me that San Diego heavily game planned against the run, daring Orton to beat us. In hindsight they probably should have game planned against Eddie Royal.
Will Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote