The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,065

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default 10-20-09 - Orton or Simms

I'm afraid this thread will have a negative vibe to it, which I don't want. I just want to understand this.

It seemed to me that before the season began people were calling for Orton's head and wishing that Simms would take his place. I always thought that was a bad idea, because I thought Orton was/is a much stronger QB than Simms. What was the reasoning behind this?

Now that we're here at 6-0 the Orton-haters have dropped off quite a bit, even from when we were 4-0 and they were arguing that Orton couldn't win us a game from behind.

Whats the current feeling on Orton and do people still want Simms to be our starter?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,980

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch
Default

BRANDSTATER!!

hahaha j/k
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Simms is a complete unknown. Those who wanted Simms to start over Orton basically said this because of Orton's lousy pre-season. I was one of the posters who said that I'd have no problem bringing Simms in IF Orton struggled.

Face it, Simms is still a complete unknown. For all we know, Simms IS the best QB on the team. But as long as Orton is winning and the team chemistry is good, then there's no way we will ever know.

Give props to Orton. He's getting better as the season progresses and he is a good leader on this offense.

As for Simms, he is gonna have to wait. Only an injury to Orton will allow him to step on the field. Even if Simms plays well in Orton's obsence there's no reason to believe that McD will pull a Tom Brady and keep Simms in when Orton comes back...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 873

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Simms is not an unknown. He sucked in college and he's sucked in the pros. It would be nice if everybody (cough cough cum-guzzler broncobuff) could stop pretending that he's some sort of unknown quantity who could be an immense talent if just given the chance. He's a fine backup, probably about as good as Patrick Ramsey or David Carr, and that's it.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer
 
Peoples Champ's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I'm afraid this thread will have a negative vibe to it, which I don't want. I just want to understand this.

It seemed to me that before the season began people were calling for Orton's head and wishing that Simms would take his place. I always thought that was a bad idea, because I thought Orton was/is a much stronger QB than Simms. What was the reasoning behind this?

Now that we're here at 6-0 the Orton-haters have dropped off quite a bit, even from when we were 4-0 and they were arguing that Orton couldn't win us a game from behind.

Whats the current feeling on Orton and do people still want Simms to be our starter?

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

If BroncoBuff says this is a silly thread, then it's definitely a silly thread.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
Simms is not an unknown. He sucked in college and he's sucked in the pros. It would be nice if everybody (cough cough cum-guzzler broncobuff) could stop pretending that he's some sort of unknown quantity who could be an immense talent if just given the chance. He's a fine backup, probably about as good as Patrick Ramsey or David Carr, and that's it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't McD bring in Simms and pay him a good chunck of change?


Um, yah. I think I'll trust McD's judgement over yours. Thanks for playing.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 873

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't McD bring in Simms and pay him a good chunck of change?


Um, yah. I think I'll trust McD's judgement over yours. Thanks for playing.
Quote:
Broncos: Simms Officially Signed To Backup Cutler
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.br....2.951605.html

Umm yea, he was signed to backup Cutler, and was paid 6 million for two years, hardly a "good chunk of change" and pretty standard for a backup QB.

Thanks for playing, better luck next time.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.br....2.951605.html

Umm yea, he was signed to backup Cutler, and was paid 6 million for two years, hardly a "good chunk of change" and pretty standard for a backup QB.

Thanks for playing, better luck next time.
$6m for a back up?

Really? Ok...

Thanks for the info. kerry.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,065

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
If BroncoBuff says this is a silly thread, then it's definitely a silly thread.
Yet BroncoBuff has not said this is a silly thread. Your statement is merely a hypothetical.

I posed an honest question that you don't want to answer. I said why did you and do you still want Simms over Neckbeard? And your reply is?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
If BroncoBuff says this is a silly thread, then it's definitely a silly thread.
That's cum-guzzler BroncoBuff according to Karenin.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 873

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
$6m for a back up?

Really? Ok...

Thanks for the info. kerry.
Quote:
The Denver Broncos on Wednesday night won the battle for coveted backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey, with ESPN.com learning the club has reached a contract agreement with the five-year veteran.

Ramsey, 28, will sign a two-year contract worth approximately $5 million
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791258


Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself now.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,952

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

As much as it pains to say it, I'd stick with Orton over Simms at this point. Simply because Orton right now is a product of the system. He's further along into learning the system, and he's being coached magnificent by McDaniels

Orton has removed a couple of doubts, and one of them is that he can actually make some pretty nice throws when he stays within the system and game plan
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2791258


Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself now.
Really, how?

Point is, McD brought in Simms to back up Cutler and paid him $6m.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,806

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

I have learned my lesson, not to second-guess McDaniel's but if we are doing "what if", I have wondered how Matt Cassell would have played knowing the offence inside and out and not needing a learning curve........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #16
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I posed an honest question that you don't want to answer. I said why did you and do you still want Simms over Neckbeard? And your reply is?
This must be some kind of sarcasm ... but I don't get it.

Kyle Orton is one of the top 3 or 4 quarterbacks in the league this year. not only should we not bench him, we should do anything and everything we can to keep him healthy so we can keep winning
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
If BroncoBuff says this is a silly thread, then it's definitely a silly thread.
That's BroncoMcBuff to you.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,512

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

i have been calling for us to give Orton a new deal, and was in his corner the moment he was traded here
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
That's BroncoMcBuff to you.
Where's the horse in flippers?

I WANT AVATARS BAAAAACK!!!!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,267

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

It was stupid and based on Simms rolling out and throwing over a corner back who was cut from the Niners in a preseason game for a touchdown. Suddenly Simms was "the answer" and everyone hated Orton after one preseason game against scrubs.

Idiots.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #21
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It was stupid and based on Simms rolling out and throwing over a corner back who was cut from the Niners in a preseason game for a touchdown. Suddenly Simms was "the answer" and everyone hated Orton after one preseason game against scrubs.

Idiots.
Wow, you hate Simms almost as much as I love him

You're selling him short though, way short. He had 4 possessions against SF, 3 of them we scored, and the 4th McKinley dropped an easy 3rd down pass. And as far as doing it against scrubs, he was playing with scrubs too



CHRIS SIMMS FAN CLUB!! ... who's with me?!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #22
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,267

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

He holds the ball too long and lacks any accuracy after about 20 yards. Has he ever legitimately won a starting job in the NFL?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He holds the ball too long and lacks any accuracy after about 20 yards. Has he ever legitimately won a starting job in the NFL?
Yes, but he lost it the next year ... he was set to be benched when the spleen thing happened. Spleen or no spleen, he sucked early that year. He had won the job with his playe the previous year and that preseason though.

Dunno about the deep ball ... never noticed that as a weakness.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #24
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,031

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I still don't think Orton is the future, but it would be beyond idiotic to put in Simms over him at this point with how well the team is doing currently.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I still don't think Orton is the future, but it would be beyond idiotic to put in Simms over him at this point with how well the team is doing currently.
I USED to think this also but I can't sit here and say he's not the future when he doesn't even have a loss yet as a Bronco and among active QB's he's 3rd in winning %.

You have to ask yourself why don't you think he's not the future? He's young enough, smart enough, a good leader, more accurate the most QB's, careful with the ball and since that glove has come off, there is some pretty good zip on his balls. There is NOTHING right now to enforce your position that he could not be the future QB.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Denver Broncos