The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Default Just curious...

What would be the feeling around here if the Chargers won by 17 points and legitimately outplayed the Broncos? Would it just be because the Chargers were arguably playing for their season and had their backs to the wall? Or would there be legitimate concern that the bye week allowed the Chargers to get healthy, fix some things and look like the team everyone was expecting them to be? Or some other take?

Note: I have a hard time getting a read on either of these teams so far so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a blowout (either way) or went down to the wire.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If the Broncos can't stop the Chargers offense then I would say it's a big cause for concern. No team matters so much as the Chargers. It would be better to have lost last week, and beat Chargers, then the other way around.

Broncos have to beat Chargers and start getting those nails ready for that coffin.

If not it's like setting the hammer down and trying to beat Ravens and Steelers to get it going again. IMO that's a tough road.

I look at it like the Broncos aren't dominant enough on offense yet to blow teams out. That mean any game could be a loss. Moreno loses a few of those drops and Broncos lose that game to pats.

I think my feeling before game is Broncos have a long ways to go, but I think this team is special as far as how hard they play.

If they win I will still probably say they have a long ways to go. Chargers have won nothing and are nothing to really gauge a team on. At least not regular season.

The teams to prove yourself against, regardless of win/loss are the team we historically lose to in playoffs recently. That's the Colts, the Ravens, The Steelers IMO.

But to win division we have to beat the Chargers. Regardless though I think Broncos still have a ways to go.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

This game scares me. We could win, we could blow them out. But it's on Monday night, at San Diego and they have had our number the last few years. I just can't get a good read on the game (though I thought we'd lose a close game last week at home, what do I know anyways ) I'll just be rooting for the Broncos to win, and hopefully not wake up the whole house if we get a finish like we have the last couple of weeks.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson

we'd still be 5-1 and on top of the division
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Flip it around what if Denver outplays you in every phase of the game? What does that tell you about the Chargers and their clear decline? Coming off the bye with the backs against the wall I would expect the Chargers to come with their A game if they still get controlled in all phases would Charger nation implode and would AJ Smith AND Norvell get fired?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

It was stated to McD that the Chargers felt this game was their season, That they were up against the wall, and needed this win badly.

McD said he didn't care what the Chargers or their fans were feeling, the only concern he had was being ready to execute the game plan. He is internally driven and focused, something the Chargers need to understand. Norv and the Chuggers cannot help but be anxious. The Broncos are not. Motivated, yes, but anxious, no.

It is difficult to believe that the games played by the chuggers to date were less "important" to them. Are we to believe they didn't even try to win those games? If so, why should they be much better in this game than in the last they played? Because they had a week of rest?

The SD window is really closing fast. This is likely the last year for LT, Merriman will likely move on, Norv should be trying to get an ESPN gig, and Phyllis will be compared to Fouts. Next year, replays of the glory days of the chuggers will be shown late at night on NFL, but they will be blacked out in San Diego.

To address the OP, if San Diego wins it will not be sufficient for them to claim the Division and the next game in Denver would be interesting. In short, one game in a 16 game season by itself, when a rematch is coming, is not sufficient to claim more than a simple win. Unless it is your superbowl......

Last edited by Paladin; 10-18-2009 at 06:30 AM..
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
This game scares me. We could win, we could blow them out. But it's on Monday night, at San Diego and they have had our number the last few years. I just can't get a good read on the game (though I thought we'd lose a close game last week at home, what do I know anyways ) I'll just be rooting for the Broncos to win, and hopefully not wake up the whole house if we get a finish like we have the last couple of weeks.
every game scares me. That's what makes it so exciting. When you play a good team you worry they are better then you. WHen you play a crap team you fear the trap game.

I can't remember ever just feeling no big deal just another Bronco game.

Every game is tough it seems.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Paladin
Ring of Famer

So you are fearing a trap game?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I don't see how this could be a trap game. Chargers been kicking Broncos ass last 3 yrs so no trap game.

For Chargers to win I think they have to play really well. I also think though they are better then they have looked. It's not like they don't have a talented roster.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Honestly, if we were beaten by 17 points and outplayed throughout, I'd be worried about our coach having been outplanned by Norv. Which is fantastically terrifying.

If that happens, I'd wonder most about the letdown after playing McD's Super Bowl against the Pats last week.

I don't expect us to get beaten by 17 points though. Can't see a way that happens.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This team is too good to lose by 17 points. Dallas and NE have 2X the offense that SD has and we held them to 17 points total. I think the only thing that could possibly get us in trouble is turnovers. If we play a clean game we will kick their butts.

Our D is flying around and shutting people down. Let's see how SD deals with the "Wild Horses".
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
What would be the feeling around here if the Chargers won by 17 points and legitimately outplayed the Broncos? so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a blowout (either way) or went down to the wire.
our world would end ,life would have no meaning.........................you twit ......new coach , new QB ,5-0 rod smith wasnt shocked ,by 5-0 but everyone else ....But besides that , have u seen a bronco game this year ?
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If the Broncos can't stop the Chargers offense then I would say it's a big cause for concern. No team matters so much as the Chargers. It would be better to have lost last week, and beat Chargers, then the other way around.

Broncos have to beat Chargers and start getting those nails ready for that coffin.

If not it's like setting the hammer down and trying to beat Ravens and Steelers to get it going again. IMO that's a tough road.

I look at it like the Broncos aren't dominant enough on offense yet to blow teams out. That mean any game could be a loss. Moreno loses a few of those drops and Broncos lose that game to pats.

I think my feeling before game is Broncos have a long ways to go, but I think this team is special as far as how hard they play.

If they win I will still probably say they have a long ways to go. Chargers have won nothing and are nothing to really gauge a team on. At least not regular season.

The teams to prove yourself against, regardless of win/loss are the team we historically lose to in playoffs recently. That's the Colts, the Ravens, The Steelers IMO.

But to win division we have to beat the Chargers. Regardless though I think Broncos still have a ways to go.
Good post but I would like to disagree on the point that beating the Chargers in San diego would prove nothing, I think it will define this team as a team that can win the games that it traditionally lost. What has happened in San Diego in the past was not just a loss but a humiliating beating in every phase of the game. What was it last year 52 to 10 and it wasn't even that close. I think this game will tell us more about this team than any game we have played so far this season. Only the Colts & Ravens will be as telling.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Not much surprises me in the NFL anymore. The Chargers offense (especially their passing attack) is extremely potent. LT should be healthy for the first time this season barring a couple carries in the opener. Jackson, Chambers, Gates, and company give Rivers a ton of options. The Chargers passing game is real and it's a concern. I don't see very many teams stopping that passing game so if we happen to give up 250-300 yards and a couple of TDs, I won't be surprised. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mike Nolan develop a scheme that takes away a lot of the Chargers success. During camp Mike Nolan and Donatell worked hard to give the secondary confidence that they would always have help over the top. Rivers wins with the deep ball. He is quietly one of the best long ball tossers in the NFL... extremely accurate and his receivers make the play for him 75% of the time. That will be the equalizer to our blitzing and it is my single biggest concern. Followed by the fact that we struggle to cover receivers in the seam which means Gates and SD's 3rd and 4th receivers as well as Hester and Sproles/LT could have some success in the passing game. Our LBs and Safeties struggle in man coverage. I think the game plan will try to force SD to settle for short stuff in front of the coverage, almost a Tampa 2 type look which should help to mitigate the coverage weaknesses of guys like Doom, Davis, Ayers, and Dawkins. All of those guys are much better off in zone coverage.

I'm also concerned about Woodyard in the nickel. He hasn't looked good all season. I'm hoping that he can have a "bounce back game" and make some plays... difference makers.

On offense, even if Merriman is back to his 2007 form I'm not too concerned. What does that say for Ryan Clady? He has shut down some of the best this season already. Odom, Ware, Seymore... no reason to think he won't have similar success against Merriman. We know that we can run the ball and that will force the Chargers to move a safety down. Weddle will likely stay back in coverage and Ellison is young and can be manipulated, so I expect a little more of the Wild Horse to see how the young safety reacts. Early running success is going to open the door for guys like Scheff and Graham in the middle of the field. We should see a good deal of screens early to slow SD down in terms of sending too much pressure. I expect the same thing from SD to Sproles/LT to do the same to our D.

This is the point in the season when the more talented teams start to stand out. The first 4 or 5 weeks can be misleading due to schemes covering up for talent deficiencies. We'll find out a lot about both teams tomorrow night. I think the Chargers are talented but lack ingenuity on both offense and defense. Norv does the same things that they've always been successful with and that has a lot to do with his slow starts. McD on the other hand may have a few weeks longer of the early success b/c there isn't much film to study and he has been pretty clever in terms of not showing tendencies. As I said after the Pats game, how do you defend a team that throws to so many different receivers. 6 receivers had at least 4 receptions. That is pretty much unheard of and if you're a defensive coordinator where do you roll your coverage. Account for BMarsh b/c he is a dangerous receiver and Eddie Royal, Jab, Stoke, Moreno/Buckhalter, Scheff/Graham... they all have single coverage and all are great playmakers.

Mike Nolan has a few more tendencies that can be studied and the talent on our defense (whether we want to admit it or not) is not as good as their current rankings suggest. They are classic overachievers. The good news, guys like Alphonso Smith, Robert Ayers, and McBath are bringing talent to the table and learning and improving each week. By week 8 these guys should really start to understand what is going on and be able to plug a lot of talent into our defensive lineups. Ayers is already showing dramatic improvement. He has been around the ball a lot more and shows signs of being another playmaker on defense.

I'll predict a close game in which the Broncos win by 2 on a last second FG from Prater.

Broncos 23
Chargers 21
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I would think that Mike Nolan and McDaniels spent a ton of time prepping for the Pats game, and then weren't creative enough this week, what with the being 5-0 and all. I wouldn't feel bad at all.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Any team can win on any week. If the Chargers win it still doesn't mean that the Broncos aren't good, even the better team. I agree the Chargers are playing for their lives, the Broncos playing for consistency. Yes it would be a big win for the Broncos as it would show that they can win on the road, against their biggest division rival this year, one that has owned them for the last several. It doesn't scare me though as we are bound to lose eventually and yes the Chargers have been off for a week, but they have been off with Norv. That gives me a lot of hope.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I agree it would not be the end of the world to lose this game. Might even be to our benefit in the grand scheme of things. But I hope we win, the Chargers are due a beat down by the Broncos something Shanny could not deliver.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
What would be the feeling around here if the Chargers won by 17 points and legitimately outplayed the Broncos? Would it just be because the Chargers were arguably playing for their season and had their backs to the wall? Or would there be legitimate concern that the bye week allowed the Chargers to get healthy, fix some things and look like the team everyone was expecting them to be? Or some other take?

Note: I have a hard time getting a read on either of these teams so far so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a blowout (either way) or went down to the wire.
My feelings would be that the Chargers had a bye week to prepare, plus their backs are kinda against the wall. Also the Broncos are gonna lose at some point and time during this season...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Its not as much about the Chargers as it is the Broncos. If the Broncos lose like that, the focus then becomes how they bounce back. Im more concerned that the Broncos play well consistently...that they win as many winnable games as they can.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #21
TheDave
Sauced...

I would feel they are 5-1 going into the bye-week...

Sorry for posting the obvious, but I'm done trying to predict the future with this team.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Flip it around what if Denver outplays you in every phase of the game? What does that tell you about the Chargers and their clear decline? Coming off the bye with the backs against the wall I would expect the Chargers to come with their A game if they still get controlled in all phases would Charger nation implode and would AJ Smith AND Norvell get fired?
If you flip it around, I agree implosion could happen (though I don't think any firings would happen until the season is over) but that's not the question.

I ask this question because it seems like everyone is already writing off the Chargers. And since Denver is supposedly a legit team now, would beating them thoroughly change people's opinions about the Chargers?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #23
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

No winning a home game won't make people think Chargers have fixed all their problems.

They can win, make people think maybe the Chargers can get it back, but until they win some big road games I doubt it.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #24
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Its not as much about the Chargers as it is the Broncos. If the Broncos lose like that, the focus then becomes how they bounce back. Im more concerned that the Broncos play well consistently...that they win as many winnable games as they can.
That's a good point.

Denver has been super consistent all season long so far. That's why I'm curious to see how they will handle a loss like that.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Soft, carebear football left Denver the same day Shanny did. We have a coach that cares about winning and preparation Which is something we haven't seen since Elway left.

Shanny and Cutler are gone and they took their fear of San Diego with them.

Expect a tough, smash-mouth game. You probably won't blow us out, but if you do, I know you will have truly earned it.
Broncomutt is online now   Reply With Quote