The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default Pti

Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso
 
Rocket 7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 4,627

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?
Bet they never invite him back. What a tard.
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk
 
Bronco Warrior's Avatar
 
Ranting Maniac!

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SLC,Utah
Posts: 1,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,047

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!
I don't mind him on PTI but i do agree that he was horrible on MNF!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!
Agreed

But they were agreeing with this guy. Then the guy said the NFL will just wither away and die like boxing, even though he is such a big fan...I wish i had a clip..it was stunning
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
McDman
Ring of Famer
 
McDman's Avatar
 
Huzzah!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,602

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Kornheiser isn't terrible on PTI, just on MNF.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

If anyone can tell me the name of the guy they were interviewing today about head injuries, I'd appreciate it
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso
 
Rocket 7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 4,627

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
If anyone can tell me the name of the guy they were interviewing today about head injuries, I'd appreciate it
First name Numb last name Nuts
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Orange4Life
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SkiUtah
Posts: 2,308
Default

Malcom Gladwell. He is not a doctor just he just wrote an article about the subject in the New Yorker.
Orange4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,428

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

How weird, I really do like Gladwell (especially tipping point and outliers) but i think he's way off base here. Boxing was NEVER EVER EVER the cash cow, cultural phenomenon NFL football is. NFL football is probably the leading source of entertainment in the US today.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!
 
Oh its true

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?
****, I wont even let my kids watch GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 35,551
Default

With all the new studies coming out that show how bad it is for the brain you do wonder if NFL football lasts another 50 yrs.

Of course not in our lifetimes probably but the world and the USA could be a very different place in 100 yrs.

right now though football ingrained into our schools and culture. I'd say football and sports in general is as important to us as anything.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 35,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
****, I wont even let my kids watch GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!
If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't want them playing. I wouldn't stop him but it is a brutal sport.

One good friend of mine went on to college. Small school, Clarmont or something like that. He busted up his knee and it bothers him and hinders him now. Another good friend of my brothers broke his ankle and has problems with it.

Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
With all the new studies coming out that show how bad it is for the brain you do wonder if NFL football lasts another 50 yrs.

Of course not in our lifetimes probably but the world and the USA could be a very different place in 100 yrs.

right now though football ingrained into our schools and culture. I'd say football and sports in general is as important to us as anything.
I bet if they took the pads off, it would be a safer sport. Back to leather helmets and foam shoulder pads I say. Maybe if they didn't feel invincible, they'd take better care of themselves.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!
 
Oh its true

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman
Default

WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
SJ Bronco's Avatar
 
Real Tree, No Seeds

Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose Ca
Posts: 9,431

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.
i played my whole life...oline most of that time...im fine. it's just like education in this country, teach them properly, they are less likely to get hurt. Maybe change the culture of the big hit, and replace it with fundamentals of tackling. I do that with the teams I coach at the HS Level.
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 52,890

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

The article was pretty eye-opening. A lot of it focused on Turley who is going through a lot of issues from all the concussions he had. What has happened to some of the old ballers is really sad, especially guys like Mike Webster. Football is a brutal sport. It can't be denied. But even Gladwell points out in the article, to talk about the demise of football is foolish. People love to watch it and people love to play it. I'll never forget watching an interview with Dan Hampton who was walking around on two canes. At the end of the interview he was asked if he had to do it all over again, would he still play? His answer was, without any hesitation, absolutely. He loved every minute of it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to come out of that tunnel at Mile High on MNF on the night of a big game, knowing half the world is watching. It must be an overwhelming rush.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!
 
Oh its true

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
i played my whole life...oline most of that time...im fine. it's just like education in this country, teach them properly, they are less likely to get hurt. Maybe change the culture of the big hit, and replace it with fundamentals of tackling. I do that with the teams I coach at the HS Level.
I agree, coaches play a very important role in preventing injuries!
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.
Completely agree. There is more to life than sports, much more. It just so happens that I have a Bronco addiction.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 35,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.
I'm just pointing out everyone knows someone who got injured playing football. Hell I had a knee surgery from snow skiing so all sports dangerous.

It does build teamwork and leadership but you can also get those in music IMO which is far less dangerous and more useful later on in life. I know a lot of sucessfull people who still play for fun. I don't know one friend who is still playing football for fun.

Also its proven that music makes brain merge the 2 hemispheres together. Later they stay merged making more use of both the creative and analytical side at same time.

I'm not someone that would say restrict anything though. It's up to parents and then to the person himself.

Some people love sports so much they would rather suffer the injuries and wear and tear over giving them up.

One guy I know is like 50 and he was playing basketball and baseball back with me and my friends when we were like 18-19 yrs old. So back then he was 30's. He still plays adult fast pitch, goes to park and plays with kids on the basketball court. He's still shooting those high arcing jumpers you can't block.

I don't think he has ever been hurt. Some people just built for sports and have bodies that can hang.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 35,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
Completely agree. There is more to life than sports, much more. It just so happens that I have a Bronco addiction.
I love sports. Just pointing out that it does come with risks that IMO probably aren't laid out enough to parents.

What if helmets had another shell on top of what they already have. Seems like you could put a soft padding on the outside that would reduce the impact.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 35,551
Default

Seems like all the pads could be made to have a softer exterior but still the hard protection underneath.

It's been a long time since I played football and I was a little kid. Hard to remember what it was like except I remember thinking i wasn't very good. I do remember all the pads seemingly designed to help you maim people as much as protct yourself.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,782

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Except boxing is still in existence and it didn't fade out of poularity becasue of how dangerous it is. It's faded becasue it priced itself out of the mainstream. Now that is something the NFL should worry about, but there are always going to be people out there who are willing to risk themselves and their safety for the chance to make millions of dollars or even for the thrill of the competition/adrenaline rush.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't want them playing. I wouldn't stop him but it is a brutal sport.

One good friend of mine went on to college. Small school, Clarmont or something like that. He busted up his knee and it bothers him and hinders him now. Another good friend of my brothers broke his ankle and has problems with it.

Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.
your kids are going to be nerds.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler
 
Orange_Beard's Avatar
 
Todd Snider Rules!

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Leucadia, CA
Posts: 7,789

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler
Default

Dodge BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Denver Broncos