The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway
Default Pti

Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Bronco View Post
Did anyone just see the interview they just did with this crackpot on PTI that said football would be banned or wither away because no self respecting parent would let their kids play. Am I the only one who saw that?
Bet they never invite him back. What a tard.
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Bronco Warrior
Opinionated Jerk

Ranting Maniac!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!
Bronco Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
PTI has a Tard on all the time! His name is Tony Cornholer! So glad his dumb ass is off MNF!!
I don't mind him on PTI but i do agree that he was horrible on MNF!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Warrior View Post
Agreed

But they were agreeing with this guy. Then the guy said the NFL will just wither away and die like boxing, even though he is such a big fan...I wish i had a clip..it was stunning
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Kornheiser isn't terrible on PTI, just on MNF.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

If anyone can tell me the name of the guy they were interviewing today about head injuries, I'd appreciate it
Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Quote:
If anyone can tell me the name of the guy they were interviewing today about head injuries, I'd appreciate it
First name Numb last name Nuts
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Orange4Life
Ring of Famer

Malcom Gladwell. He is not a doctor just he just wrote an article about the subject in the New Yorker.
Orange4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

How weird, I really do like Gladwell (especially tipping point and outliers) but i think he's way off base here. Boxing was NEVER EVER EVER the cash cow, cultural phenomenon NFL football is. NFL football is probably the leading source of entertainment in the US today.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!

Oh its true

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman

Quote:
****, I wont even let my kids watch GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

With all the new studies coming out that show how bad it is for the brain you do wonder if NFL football lasts another 50 yrs.

Of course not in our lifetimes probably but the world and the USA could be a very different place in 100 yrs.

right now though football ingrained into our schools and culture. I'd say football and sports in general is as important to us as anything.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
****, I wont even let my kids watch GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!
If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't want them playing. I wouldn't stop him but it is a brutal sport.

One good friend of mine went on to college. Small school, Clarmont or something like that. He busted up his knee and it bothers him and hinders him now. Another good friend of my brothers broke his ankle and has problems with it.

Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
With all the new studies coming out that show how bad it is for the brain you do wonder if NFL football lasts another 50 yrs.

Of course not in our lifetimes probably but the world and the USA could be a very different place in 100 yrs.

right now though football ingrained into our schools and culture. I'd say football and sports in general is as important to us as anything.
I bet if they took the pads off, it would be a safer sport. Back to leather helmets and foam shoulder pads I say. Maybe if they didn't feel invincible, they'd take better care of themselves.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Tankgunner95

Oh its true

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman

WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
WOW, I would love my child to play, there is nothing like going out there on Friday Night with your whole school watching you. I played since I was in 5th grade and played for a small school in AZ. Anyways your right injuries do happen, but you could also get injuried walking down the sidewalk and twist your ankle, stuff happens. If my child does not wanna play thats fine, but he will try it and see if he likes it. There so much it does for a person, builds leadership, makes you work as a team, make friends that you normally would not even talk too.
i played my whole life...oline most of that time...im fine. it's just like education in this country, teach them properly, they are less likely to get hurt. Maybe change the culture of the big hit, and replace it with fundamentals of tackling. I do that with the teams I coach at the HS Level.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

The article was pretty eye-opening. A lot of it focused on Turley who is going through a lot of issues from all the concussions he had. What has happened to some of the old ballers is really sad, especially guys like Mike Webster. Football is a brutal sport. It can't be denied. But even Gladwell points out in the article, to talk about the demise of football is foolish. People love to watch it and people love to play it. I'll never forget watching an interview with Dan Hampton who was walking around on two canes. At the end of the interview he was asked if he had to do it all over again, would he still play? His answer was, without any hesitation, absolutely. He loved every minute of it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to come out of that tunnel at Mile High on MNF on the night of a big game, knowing half the world is watching. It must be an overwhelming rush.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Tankgunner95

Oh its true

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman

Quote:
i played my whole life...oline most of that time...im fine. it's just like education in this country, teach them properly, they are less likely to get hurt. Maybe change the culture of the big hit, and replace it with fundamentals of tackling. I do that with the teams I coach at the HS Level.
I agree, coaches play a very important role in preventing injuries!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Not sure I would want my kid playing HS football. I'd rather see them get good grades and play music.
Completely agree. There is more to life than sports, much more. It just so happens that I have a Bronco addiction.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I'm just pointing out everyone knows someone who got injured playing football. Hell I had a knee surgery from snow skiing so all sports dangerous.

It does build teamwork and leadership but you can also get those in music IMO which is far less dangerous and more useful later on in life. I know a lot of sucessfull people who still play for fun. I don't know one friend who is still playing football for fun.

Also its proven that music makes brain merge the 2 hemispheres together. Later they stay merged making more use of both the creative and analytical side at same time.

I'm not someone that would say restrict anything though. It's up to parents and then to the person himself.

Some people love sports so much they would rather suffer the injuries and wear and tear over giving them up.

One guy I know is like 50 and he was playing basketball and baseball back with me and my friends when we were like 18-19 yrs old. So back then he was 30's. He still plays adult fast pitch, goes to park and plays with kids on the basketball court. He's still shooting those high arcing jumpers you can't block.

I don't think he has ever been hurt. Some people just built for sports and have bodies that can hang.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChamp View Post
Completely agree. There is more to life than sports, much more. It just so happens that I have a Bronco addiction.
I love sports. Just pointing out that it does come with risks that IMO probably aren't laid out enough to parents.

What if helmets had another shell on top of what they already have. Seems like you could put a soft padding on the outside that would reduce the impact.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Seems like all the pads could be made to have a softer exterior but still the hard protection underneath.

It's been a long time since I played football and I was a little kid. Hard to remember what it was like except I remember thinking i wasn't very good. I do remember all the pads seemingly designed to help you maim people as much as protct yourself.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Except boxing is still in existence and it didn't fade out of poularity becasue of how dangerous it is. It's faded becasue it priced itself out of the mainstream. Now that is something the NFL should worry about, but there are always going to be people out there who are willing to risk themselves and their safety for the chance to make millions of dollars or even for the thrill of the competition/adrenaline rush.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
If I had a kid, I probably wouldn't want them playing. I wouldn't stop him but it is a brutal sport.

One good friend of mine went on to college. Small school, Clarmont or something like that. He busted up his knee and it bothers him and hinders him now. Another good friend of my brothers broke his ankle and has problems with it.

your kids are going to be nerds.
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Dodge BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote