The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default San Diego Chargers Vs. Denver Broncos: A Must Win For The Chargers

San Diego Chargers Vs. Denver Broncos: A Must Win For The Chargers
by D-2-THE-C Contributor
(Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)
The 2-2 San Diego Chargers have struggled on both sides of the ball this season, while the 5-0 Denver Broncos have been surprisingly efficient. There's no question that Denver has played better football over the first five weeks of the season, but as they say, "any thing can happen on any given Sunday" or in this case, "Monday night" and the San Diego Chargers should not be taken lightly in this matchup.

Denver is ranked 15th in the league in passing YPG. QB Kyle Orton has played solid football. Orton has thrown for 1,236 yards, 7 TDs, 1 INT, while averaging 247 YPG in the Broncos first five games.

San Diego's defense has been less than stellar this season against the pass, ranking 12th in the league. One of the reasons for that, is their lack of pass rush. The Chargers defense has recorded a mere six sacks in their first four games.

If the Chargers are going to win this game they must get pressure on Orton. Putting pressure on the QB will not only get sacks for a loss of yards, but will force errant throws which could lead to interceptions. If the defense allows Orton too much time in the pocket, San Diego's offense could find themselves playing catch up, a lot like the week 4 match up against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Chargers have to play hard hitting, smash-mouth football on defense and must get to the QB.

Running the ball has been Denvers strong suit this season. The Broncos are ranked 5th in the league in rushing YPG, accumulating a total of 695 yards on the ground in their first five games.

San Diego is currently ranked 27th against the run. Jamal Williams, who went down with a season ending tricep injury, has been sorely missed on the Chargers' defensive line. Stopping the run will be key to San Diego's success. If they can force more passing situations, they will have a better chance of winning this game.

Defense is not the only area where the Chargers have struggled this season. The Chargers' offense is ranked dead last in rushing YPG, racking up a measly 215 rushing yards in their first four games of the season. The injuries along San Diego's offensive line and to RB LaDainian Tomlinson, early in the year, have undoubtedly factored into the Chargers' struggles to move the ball on the ground.

LaDainian Tomlinson will play on Monday night. If San Diegos Offensive Line can hold up, and play at a high level, LT will be able to establish a decent rushing attack. If that happens the Chargers will have a serious shot at managing this game and pulling out the W.

QB Phillip Rivers' ability to go up top for big yardage has been the strength of San Diego's offense this season. The Chargers are ranked 2nd in the league in passing YPG. Rivers has thrown for 1,245 yards in San Diego's first four games and he is averaging 311 passing YPG.

The Denver Broncos' defense is ranked 2nd in the league in total YPG allowed. They've only allowed an average of 252 total YPG, 171 passing YPG (5th in the league), and 76.4 rushing YPG (6th in the league.) The Bronco's defense is playing very well on all levels.

While I don't believe Denver's defense will hold Rivers to 171 passing yards on Monday night, I do anticipate to see a lot of pressure from Denver's front seven. This goes back to San Diego's offensive line needing to play at a high level and not get pushed around in order to allow Rivers to make plays downfield.

It's imperative for San Diego to play well up front on both sides of the ball if they want to win this game, but they must step it up on defense especially. If both defenses play at the same level they've played in the first quarter of the season, this could be a very long night for the Chargers. However, The Chargers are coming off of their bye week, which means Ron Rivera has had an extra week to get his defense prepared for this game. If they can play to their full potential, get to the QB, and make plays in Denvers backfield, this could turn out to be a great game and a victory for the San Diego Chargers. The Chargers must win this game.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

A must win for Denver
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Bob
Ring of Famer

From a match up standpoint, I think we crush them...and no, I dont think we are going to "look past them" either...
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
rubaiyat
Pro Bowler

This guy has been predicting wins for us despite the naysayers for several weeks now.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...es-for-week-6/

Pretty interesting predictive statistical modeling.
rubaiyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

A few new faces cracked the first-unit defense when the group lined up in what appeared to be a nickel package. Only Ryan McBean and Kenny Peterson were on the line, while Darrell Reid, Wesley Woodyard, D.J. Williams and Elvis Dumervil were at linebacker. Cornerbacks Andre’ Goodman, Jack Williams and Alphonso Smith joined safeties Brian Dawkins and Darcel McBath in the secondary. (from MHR)

I'm guessin we see a lot of something like this on Monday.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

It's imperative for San Diego to play well up front on both sides of the ball if they want to win this game

Wow, no way. Quality journalism here guys.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan2438 View Post
A must win for Denver
Indeed. We need to go into the bye 6-0 with a guaranteed stalemate minimum on San Diego for head to head. A 2-3 and likely 3-3 Charger team is what we'd see out of our bye.... if we lose it's going to be 5-1 Broncos 4-2 Chargers and we don't want that.

As for people saying we'll blow them out... the Pats game could have been a blow out if not for two missed balls by Brady. Rivers is the BEST long ball thrower int he NFL and they have MASSIVE receivers... I think something like 4 above 6'4... it's stupid.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like our offensive and defensive line matchups against theirs. Our O-line owns and theirs is banged up and soft. Our D-line is playing over their heads and their O-line is banged up but playing pretty well considering their circumstances.

Our receivers against their secondary will have some issues, but not if we run the ball, which I expect we should be able too. Their linebackers don't tackle very well and that could mean son slants and motion will result in some YAC.

ST is their advantage. And I'm concerned about Sproles in catching passes out of the backfield. DJ is the only one who has the athleticism to match up on on him. I'm actually not too worried about Gates because we seemed to take Witten away fairly effectively.

If we can get to Rivers and run the ball we'll win.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like our offensive and defensive line matchups against theirs. Our O-line owns and theirs is banged up and soft. Our D-line is playing over their heads and their O-line is banged up but playing pretty well considering their circumstances.

Our receivers against their secondary will have some issues, but not if we run the ball, which I expect we should be able too. Their linebackers don't tackle very well and that could mean son slants and motion will result in some YAC.

ST is their advantage. And I'm concerned about Sproles in catching passes out of the backfield. DJ is the only one who has the athleticism to match up on on him. I'm actually not too worried about Gates because we seemed to take Witten away fairly effectively.

If we can get to Rivers and run the ball we'll win.
The biggest think I see is they don't have the size on oline to give Hamilton and Wiegman a tough time. The only time we struggle a tad on the oline is when that occurs.

If we can run the ball, and protect Orton, we can play keep away from Rivers/Gates/Jackson/Sproles/LT
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If we let Rivers throw the ball 40-50 times we could get into trouble. We have to limit his plays by getting them off the field.

He won't miss too many like some of the other qbs we have faces.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote