The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default Kyle orton is the man

Watching that Greatest 4th quarters show on the NFL network...

Playing Hotlanta last year. They're down 9, come down, kick a field goal after getting stuffed goal line on the previous drive. On the ensuing kickoff, ATL takes it about 65 yards on the return, eventually setting up an Elam field goal. SHANKED IT! (don't worry, redemption soon).

2:36 to go, Orton orchestrates a 75 yard touchdown drive. Great accuracy, spread the ball around, threw on the run, threw a couple away (no picks that game i think)... he was money. And all while having CONSTANT pressure from the falcons. Didn't realize Chitowns line was THAT sheisty...I'm talkin damn near every single time he dropped back it was instant release or take a sack time.

Anywho, he looked extremely calm and collected, audibled at the line, hit his receivers (the touchdown pass was a beautiful strike to the very corner of the endzone with some perfect touch on it), and if it wasn't for JASON MOTHER****IN ELAM, the best kicker in the league whom i wish we still had and consequently hit the game winner for the 22nd time in his career with time expiring, Kyle would've had a GREAT 4th quarter comeback drive under his belt.

My whole point is...with THAT line, THOSE receivers, and THAT scheme he really looked great.

Just gets me pumped to see what he can do throughout the rest of his career with OUR incredibly talented line, OUR extremely special receiving core, and OUR new genius of a head coach.

Every week he's building confidence with his receivers and the system, and I'm really starting to get excited about his future.

He is the ****ing man.

that is all.

Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I just watched that as well...some great Orton moments as well as the winning 48 yarder from Jason.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I miss jason elam
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
I miss jason elam
You gotta give it up for Prater though. He's getting better. He's kicking many more longer FG's then Jason was at the end there and his kick off's are much better also. Yeah he's missed a few short ones but he's a young guy and Elam missed some stuff early in his career also.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

yeah i just watched this as well, what a heartbreaking loss, but that TD pass Orton Threw to go ahead was a thing of beauty...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
dextermilo
Word

Rational cynic.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

I have gone back and watched a lot of his games from last year. Him playing well should not surprise anyone. And some of his throws are excellent.

Who doesn't miss Elam?
dextermilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Elam was and is a great kicker, but it was the right football move to let him go, and Prater is doing fine. For all his misses, has he ever really lost a game for the Broncos yet? He's not as consistent as I would like, but he seems to make that ones that matter most to me.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
dextermilo
Word

Rational cynic.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Elam was and is a great kicker, but it was the right football move to let him go, and Prater is doing fine. For all his misses, has he ever really lost a game for the Broncos yet? He's not as consistent as I would like, but he seems to make that ones that matter most to me.
Basically if the kick is between 30 and 45 yards I have no confidence that he will make it. Longer than that? Hell ya!
dextermilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Orton has been a very pleasant "half-surprise". I expected him to play well but he's shown me flashes of being our long time QB, and I wasn't sure about that. I hope he keeps it up, and gets even better.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think Elam has missed some easy ones this yr as well. Even Elam misses Elam at this point.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #11
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Let me rephrase my last little post...I miss jason elam BUT, I hope prater turns it around in elam-esque fashion.

Blak, I agree. I was expecting him to play well, but the flashes are really getting me excited!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Orton is like the golfer that his swing looks terrible but he scores well and gets it in the hole. A grinder and a winner that gets no respect.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Why?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Watching that Greatest 4th quarters show on the NFL network...

Playing Hotlanta last year. They're down 9, come down, kick a field goal after getting stuffed goal line on the previous drive. On the ensuing kickoff, ATL takes it about 65 yards on the return, eventually setting up an Elam field goal. SHANKED IT! (don't worry, redemption soon).

2:36 to go, Orton orchestrates a 75 yard touchdown drive. Great accuracy, spread the ball around, threw on the run, threw a couple away (no picks that game i think)... he was money. And all while having CONSTANT pressure from the falcons. Didn't realize Chitowns line was THAT sheisty...I'm talkin damn near every single time he dropped back it was instant release or take a sack time.

Anywho, he looked extremely calm and collected, audibled at the line, hit his receivers (the touchdown pass was a beautiful strike to the very corner of the endzone with some perfect touch on it), and if it wasn't for JASON MOTHER****IN ELAM, the best kicker in the league whom i wish we still had and consequently hit the game winner for the 22nd time in his career with time expiring, Kyle would've had a GREAT 4th quarter comeback drive under his belt.

My whole point is...with THAT line, THOSE receivers, and THAT scheme he really looked great.

Just gets me pumped to see what he can do throughout the rest of his career with OUR incredibly talented line, OUR extremely special receiving core, and OUR new genius of a head coach.

Every week he's building confidence with his receivers and the system, and I'm really starting to get excited about his future.

He is the ****ing man.

that is all.

The few Chicago games I watched from last season, where Orton was starting, I thought he did a solid job in those games. Nothing flashy or grandios, just solid quarterback play.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I actually don't miss elam. Don't get me wrong, I thought he was a great kicker, but his inability to kick off wasted a roster spot every year, or ruined field position. I also think he was expensive as kickers go. Prater has been doing a much better job than people realize. He's missed 3 of 13 kicks this season, and that includes that wind game. Elam has missed 2 of 6 already, and he's a dome kicker now.

The memories of game winner are nice, but I look forward to new clutch kicks in the future from our young guy. Last week was a nice start.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Why?
Was he not wanting like 4 mil a year I can't quite remember but I believe he was asking for way too much money.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
Popps
It's so easy

Orton is illustrating the something we've talked about around here for a long time.

Two QBs can appear to have a similar skill-set, but have vastly different results.

Orton doesn't have a huge arm, and he doesn't look like the best athlete in the world. So, the inclination of a lot of people would be to equate him to any other average or sub-average QB.

The difference is, Orton appears to have a set of intangibles that help him win games. It's the pass he made to Royal for the first down against NE that makes him a winner. Just those little throws and decisions.

This is why you don't assume that a "cannon arm" or being a "gunslinger" makes a QB effective. There's a lot more to look at than velocity on the football.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Boosh!
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You gotta give it up for Prater though. He's getting better. He's kicking many more longer FG's then Jason was at the end there and his kick off's are much better also. Yeah he's missed a few short ones but he's a young guy and Elam missed some stuff early in his career also.
Hopefully he has figured out how to kick a cold ball.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Lots of this seems correct ... so then what were the Bears (and others) thinking?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
Lots of this seems correct ... so then what were the Bears (and others) thinking?
Michael Lombardi said on NFL network that this was a GM/owner move, but several personnel people who work for the Bears didn't feel it was that much of an upgrade and that they overpaid for Cutler. Cutler's obviously much more talented and is a better athlete, but Orton's football IQ is pretty high and he doesn't have the attitude issues or diabetes. To this point their numbers are pretty comparable.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Humans are prone to irrational and emotional reaction. I mean consider all the hype that still surrounds Mike Vick, and he has never been a good QB. Raw Athleticism tends to blind lots of people, and by no fault of their own. The potential seems almost limitless when a guy can run a 4.1, throw the ball a mile, or lift a truck. Despite a long history of "marginal" athletes having great, even amazing success, people continue to be swayed by pure speed and power. Time is littered with the failures and successes of both the super atheltic and the intangible athelete, but the hype almost always follows the super jock.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
The same thing mike was thinking when he drafted him...immense potential.

The Bears killed two birds with this trade. First it eliminated the weekly quandry of who their starting QB was gonna be. The coaches had settled on Orton last season but I'm sure there was some division in the locker room over who should start (Grossman or Orton)...and they got a guy who could be the man in Chicago for the next decade barring injury.

I don't think either team made the "wrong" decision.....both teams got what they wanted and between the two of them their teams are a collective 8-1, and have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

I think what alot of people are now seeing is that Orton is better than originally advertised by critics.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote