The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Fatsis in SI: Some young NFL Coaches are just plain Jerks

Time for a few more seconds of Panic ....

The Young And The Tactless
Why are so many new NFL coaches such boorish tyrants?

By STEFAN FATSIS

A pinch of tobacco bumping his bottom lip, Browns head coach Eric Mangini makes players stand and answer questions during team meetings. Which training facility wall is decorated with a quotation from Sun Tzu? What's our long snapper's name and number? How long has Jeff Fisher coached the Tennessee Titans? Answer correctly and—well, you'd better answer correctly.

Just when you thought NFL coaches couldn't get any less likable, a crop of young know-it-alls is taking the league by scowl. In Denver, 33-year-old Josh McDaniels made rookies report to training camp at 5:30 a.m. to practice comedy skits. In Kansas City, Todd Haley, 42, started an argument with a Pro Bowl lineman who had flown in to introduce himself. Mangini, 38, made headlines after asking rookies to take a 10-hour bus ride to work at his summer football camp and, last month, fining a player $1,701 for failing to pay for a $3 bottle of water from a hotel minibar.

Mangini, McDaniels and Haley aren't the first coaches to believe that intimidation, humiliation and a hail of f bombs are the secrets to NFL success. But in a Gen Y league in the age of Obama, vein-popping outbursts and foot-high motivational tropes seem eye-rollingly old school. Players and fans born in the last half century might be tempted to ask a question of their own: Why are these guys such jerks?

he gridiron tyrant has been a stock character for generations. The game's militaristic nature, the thinking goes, demands an ironfisted leader—a field general! In the popular imagination Green Bay legend Vince Lombardi was the founding bully. But although Lombardi had a temper and an ego, "He also had a strong sense of team as family," says David Maraniss, author of the biography When Pride Still Mattered. "He was not afraid to use the word love, and he used it a lot." Today's distant, playbook-obsessed workaholic, Marannis says, flows more directly from Lombardi's fellow 1950s New York Giants assistant Tom Landry, who would win two Super Bowls in Dallas.

..... continued

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1264/index.htm
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

That doesn't sound like the McDaniels we have seen.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Yeah, if I'm a rookie playing in the NFL making major bank compared to what you would have been making working a normal job, call me at 5:30am and make me practice comedy..........naked, and I would gladly do it with a smile on my face. You know it's only for a few weeks.

I bet there isn't one player on the team that feels Josh is a jerk. This writer can go blow himself. ****in loser.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ohh poor rookies, as opposed to the 6am the rest of the guys have to be there by

if fatsis thinks rookie hazing is exclusive to mcdaniels, hes retarded. the "rookie night" that a few guys tweeted about i bet was a lot of fun....
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Come on Fatsis, you're better than this. That ****'s old. McDaniels wins games, and the guys play hard for him, there's no hurt butts here.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I dunno ... Josh is proving to be a pretty good coach, but he needs to work on that hollering crap, especially at his quarterback. Not cool.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
TheDave
Sauced...

As long as he wins... It won't matter.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
I dunno ... Josh is proving to be a pretty good coach, but he needs to work on that hollering crap, especially at his quarterback. Not cool.
You don't have insight into the relationship; you don't know how Orton is responding to it, and if he'd respond as well to any other coaching method. You might have a point if this was an amateur sport, but Josh and Orton are paid to get results. There's no moral imperative here not to holler, cuss, or browbeat.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah because shanahan never did that. Come on buff.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Geez guys, relax. Touchy touchy.

We disagree ... I think it's bad form. That's my opinion.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
dextermilo
Word

Rational cynic.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
In Denver, 33-year-old Josh McDaniels made rookies report to training camp at 5:30 a.m. to practice comedy skits
That explains the dropped balls. I bet at least half of those skits involved fumbles, the apex of football humor.

Seriously though, I love the idea of forcing rookies to show up early in the morning and get over themselves.

Cheers
dextermilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Dude's name is fatsis
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
McDaniels has morphed from arrogant kid to wunderkind. Regardless of record, though, the ends don't necessarily justify the means.
What? Is this guy serious?
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Fat ass was on the radio here in DC today....basically said Josh was using smoke and mirrors and the wheels were going to fall off soon.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Here is the except, and presumably this is Fatis' evidence that McDaniels is a tyrant:

Consider McDaniels, who apprenticed for eight seasons under Belichick. After arriving in Denver, McDaniels alienated—and traded—a Pro Bowl quarterback and cut veterans without even the courtesy of a face-to-face meeting. He replaced efficient operations installed over 14 years by two-time Super Bowl winner Mike Shanahan—an autocrat but no malicious despot—with those he learned from his old boss. He even scrapped a brand-new, $450,000 video system because it wasn't what New England used. Some Broncos employees joke privately that the team should be renamed the Denver Patriots.

So here are the reasons. Decide for yourself if this is a good case or not:

- mysterious 5:30 am "comedy skit" (never explained)
- traded Cutler
- cut veterans
- changed "operations"
- replace a video system
- has caused a joke about the "Denver Patriots"
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
Yeah, that was weird ... I think I can explain though: He wrote the piece, or started it anyway, a few weeks ago. Now that we've bolted out at 5-0, he's gotta reconcile that record with the theme of the story. The part you quoted was his not too-well-thought-out bridge between the two.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Fat ass was on the radio here in DC today....basically said Josh was using smoke and mirrors and the wheels were going to fall off soon.
Good defense and controlling the ball. Ya that's the definition of smoke and mirrors.

More like the antithesis.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Remember this is from a guy that's never worn a jock let alone strapped on a helmet. I read his book, it was insightfull at times but terribly boring at others, his chapters on his own kicking, who cares.

Football coaches are mean, go back to high school, college, etc, hell the NFL guys get paid and they have it great compared to most doing it for fun or a scholarship.

And any recent college grad is going to deal with a boss in any job, try the business world, you're going to have to take **** and bust ass to make an impression fresh out of college.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
In Denver, 33-year-old Josh McDaniels made rookies report to training camp at 5:30 a.m. to practice comedy skits.
I had to do this kind of stuff as a freshman at football camp in high school. What's the big deal? NFL players get paid more so they shouldn't have to do the humility routine?

I ALSO HEARD THAT SOMETIMES THEY HAVE TO CARRY OTHER PLAYERS PADS. OH THE HUMANITY.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
He needs to take the Wade Phillips coaching method into consideration.

"Oh gee Marlon (McCree). You know, gosh I'm real sorry that we're gonna be lettin' you go, 'cause you're a real good player and a super guy. I'm real sorry. Here take some coffee and cookies before you go."

Maybe if he was nicer we'd be 5-0.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Yeah, Josh sounds like a complete meanie face jerk head. I'll bet he even raises his voice when trying to communicate something of importance. Jerk face.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #22
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Gee Buff, you really don't like our coach do you?
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #24
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think some "literary" sports journalists are just plain hacks.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Too bad every other media person not named Josina or Sandy Clough don't say the same thing. He supposedly is hilarious, engaging, and his players love him.

Fatsis is wrong on this one, IMHO
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote