The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default Bills fans rent billboard to advertise discontent

Well, at least this didn't happen during the offseason in Denver (that I know of anyways)

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
Oct 14, 8:07 pm EDT

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—It didn’t take long for Ryan Abshagen to discover how many Buffalo Bills fans are unhappy with their team and want owner Ralph Wilson to make sweeping changes.

In a little more than a week, Abshagen, an unemployed 18-year-old from New Freedom, Pa., raised enough money—$1,402 and counting as of Wednesday— through an Internet campaign to rent a billboard and advertise a message of discontent for everyone in Buffalo to see.

“I honestly never thought it would ever be this big,” Abshagen said. “Fans are disgruntled. It’s out there. It’s big. People are going to hear about it.”

Starting early Monday and running for a week, the message will be flashed up to 3,000 times a day on a digital billboard overlooking Interstate 190 on the south side of the city, said Abshagen after signing a contract with an advertising company.

The display will feature a message that reads, “It’s time to clean house, RALPH,” referring to Wilson. Next to that will be a checklist of three names: Jauron; the team’s chief college scout Tom Modrak; and vice president of pro personnel John Guy.

The level of fan frustration in Buffalo has been evident since the Bills missed the playoffs for a ninth straight season with their third consecutive 7-9 finish a year ago. It’s reached a boiling point again with Buffalo at 1-4 and coming off an ugly 6-3 loss to Cleveland on Sunday.

Bills fans showed their displeasure by booing the team numerous times during a game in which the team’s offense failed to score a touchdown for the second time in three weeks. Some fans were spotted wearing paper bags on their heads, while one group stood up to display matching white T-shirts with letters on them that spelled: “FIRE DICK NOW!”

Jauron, in his fourth season, is on the hot seat for the team’s dreadful start. Modrak and Guy are being blamed for failing to build a competitive roster.

The Bills declined comment when asked about the billboard.

Jauron has declined to discuss his status, but has previously acknowledged the criticism.

Bills punter Brian Moorman(notes) rallied to Jauron’s support when informed of the billboard.

“It doesn’t discourage me because I know there’s a lot more people out there that wouldn’t do something like that. But it is a free country,” Moorman said. “The important thing is that inside these walls, (Jauron) has our support. We believe in him.”

Abshagen said he first proposed the billboard idea on a Bills fan message board following the team’s 38-10 loss at Miami on Oct. 4.

A few days later, he designed a web site and began seeking donations. Abshagen said the site attracted little attention until several media outlets mentioned the campaign in stories, particularly after the loss to the Browns.

“That was the one that tilted the scales,” he said. “That was embarrassing.”

The response was so overwhelming that Abshagen said he raised the necessary $1,125 to rent the billboard for a week by Tuesday night. He’s now begun a second campaign to raise another $1,125 to extend the rental for one more week or rent a second billboard.

Any leftover money, he said, will be donated to charity.

“We don’t hate anybody,” Abshagen said, when asked about how the message might be interpreted. “The donors and myself included, we don’t mean any harm or wish to insult anyone. We simply just want to get our voice out as fans.”

And he doesn’t think it’ll make any difference among fans should the Bills win on Sunday when they travel to play the New York Jets.

“I think the fans are fed up enough that it won’t even have an effect,” Abshagen said. “We are in too deep at this point.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Good for the fans. Those fans are in a catch-22. If they show their displeasure by not buying tickets, then Wilson has an excuse to sell the team or move the team. However, if the fans keep buying tickets and showing up to the games, then Wilson and the teams front office has little incentive to make sweeping changes.

Again Mr. Wilson: HIRE MIKE SHANAHAN TO GET THE BILLS ON THE RIGHT TRACK. Give Mike final say on all player personel, yet keep Marv Levy as GM to have final say on the coaching staff.

This will allow Mike the power he wants, but it will keep him in check with his coaching staff so he's forced to bring in compitent coaches, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Let Mike Shanahan bring in the Goodmans to help with the draft picks....

Its all good.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

rumor has it a few fans are putting their money together in Toronto and letting Buffalo know that they will take their team. If they leave, Broncos are the only original AFL team to stay in the city they started in.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I want to see this pic
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
I want to see this pic
That's what I'm waiting on
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
delany
Uber Bronco

delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
kingpants
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Jauron has the backing of the punter...
So, at least hes got that going for him, which is nice
kingpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpants View Post
Jauron has the backing of the punter...
So, at least hes got that going for him, which is nice
In fairness, their punter has been on the field more than guys like Trent Edwards and TO, so he's probably got more pull than anyone.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
SJ Bronco
Ring of Famer

Real Tree, No Seeds

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
This must be an old sign, they're in oakland now...
SJ Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote