The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default listening to mike peierra on nfln about the rules

this guy is a total dbag. that is all.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
this guy is a total dbag. that is all.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I quite enjoy 'Official Review', personally.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

go watch him try and explain some of these plays that are absolute BS. redskins guy gets destroyed on a fair punt call before he even gets the ball, but its a fumble? whereas houston texans guy muffs a fair catch return, but since the ball did not hit the ground its NOT a fumble yet. WTF?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
go watch him try and explain some of these plays that are absolute BS. redskins guy gets destroyed on a fair punt call before he even gets the ball, but its a fumble? whereas houston texans guy muffs a fair catch return, but since the ball did not hit the ground its NOT a fumble yet. WTF?
What part exactly don't you get?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
What part exactly don't you get?
the fact that they are absolutely BS calls, and that is quite obvious.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
the fact that they are absolutely BS calls, and that is quite obvious.
Here is why the muff wasn't a fumble. Once a fair catch signal made the opposing player not allowed to interfere in any way with him catching the ball. The players opportunity to catch the ball does not end until it hits the ground. You can't catch it off his bobble until the ball hits the ground and hit attempt at the fair catch has ended.

Why is this BS to you?It's just usually the ball doesn't get bobbled right into the defenders arms. But the rule is clear.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I disagree. I like Mike for standing up there and owning up when a call is bad. You don't see baseball or especially the ridiculous NBA do that. They don't send head of officiating out there to face the music when things go south.

And the calls this week were correct and he explained why. People can hate the rules, but they're just calling the rules as they're written.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I disagree. I like Mike for standing up there and owning up when a call is bad. You don't see baseball or especially the ridiculous NBA do that. They don't send head of officiating out there to face the music when things go south.

And the calls this week were correct and he explained why. People can hate the rules, but they're just calling the rules as they're written.
i guess lump me into this group then, not so much him defending the rules, but the rules themselves that are garbage.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

I still don't get the Redskins punt call. Seems to me like they're saying you can throw a blocker into the return man just to cause a fumble.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Texans guy has a right to field the ball unobstructed on a fair catch.

By rule, the punt is only muffed as soon as it hits the ground. That's the key part. The returner is allowed to bobble it, as long as it doesn't touch the ground it's a legitimate fair catch.

The Titans player grabs the ball before it hits the ground, when theoretically the Texans guy could have still caught it and made a legitimate fair catch. Obviously, he wouldn't have, but that's not the point.

With the Redskins, it was all the fault of the blocker. He has to know where his teammate, the returner, is and make damn sure he doesn't get in the way.

He gets shoved into the returner, and the ball comes off his foot, making it a live ball just as it is any time a player on the return team touches the ball without calling a fair catch.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
I still don't get the Redskins punt call. Seems to me like they're saying you can throw a blocker into the return man just to cause a fumble.
You're allowed try and get by and push back a guy if he's blocking you.

If he's standing in front of the returner, that's not your problem.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

You're 99% right I think, especially comparing to other sports.

But Pereira does lean toward the apologist stance sometimes.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #14
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post
You're allowed try and get by and push back a guy if he's blocking you.

If he's standing in front of the returner, that's not your problem.
Sort of, if he's not blocking you and just standing in front of the returner and you push him into the returner, it's a flag on the guy who pushed. You can only push the coverage guy if he's trying to block you and you overpower him into the return man. I like this because it gives incentive if you're a strong player.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

what happens is sometimes things occur that just look weird. You don't see it but maybe a couple times a decade where a fair catch bounces of the returner and goes right into the hands of a defender who gets called for interference. I did see that once before though a long time ago in a GB/Detroit game.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
i guess lump me into this group then, not so much him defending the rules, but the rules themselves that are garbage.
You don't think a returner should have until ball hits ground to catch it? The defender takes that risk by edging so close to the returner.

Maybe they should just make people stay further away while a player making a fair catch. I feel sometime the defender so close it is hindering the offensive player.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You don't think a returner should have until ball hits ground to catch it? The defender takes that risk by edging so close to the returner.

Maybe they should just make people stay further away while a player making a fair catch. I feel sometime the defender so close it is hindering the offensive player.
they should be allowed to have a chance to catch it. if they bobble it and someone else takes it, that should be a fair ball. just like a pass, if they bobble it and someone else grabs it mid air after they touched it thats an interception, but with punt returns it has to hit the ground to be a live ball?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

Rules?
We dont need no stinkin rules!!!!!!!!!!!!
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
they should be allowed to have a chance to catch it. if they bobble it and someone else takes it, that should be a fair ball. just like a pass, if they bobble it and someone else grabs it mid air after they touched it thats an interception, but with punt returns it has to hit the ground to be a live ball?
Here's the difference: you can't fair catch a pass. It's hard to define a "bobble" when someone is catching a punt. If the rule were that the fair catch attempt ends as soon as the ball is touched by the returner, say it slips once in his hand, or say it bounces off his chest into his hands. In that case, the ball would be live as soon as it touches him, i.e. you can clobber the guy, completely undoing the idea behind the fair catch. This way, it doesn't matter if the catch is clean or not, all that matters is that he catches it before it hits the ground.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
You can and its why Special Teams coaches preach to return team blockers to stay away from the return man on fair catches.

That play happened because of poor coaching.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

QFT, especially about the NBA.

I've called BS on many calls and then he clears it up. I'm amazed sometimes at how good the refs are on these obscure rules. In the Raider/SD game I thought for sure Murphy had that TD, for days and so did everyone else, until Mike was on and it cleared that up. I've seen him say when it was a bad call.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the rule that you can cross the goal line and its a TD regardless of what happens the second after you cross, but if you catch it and have possession in the end zone and it hits the ground it is NOT a TD, thats a silly rule. theres no consistency in stuff like that.,
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #23
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Props to all the folks on this thread who really know the rules.

My one gripe: I really wish the NFL would make the official rulebook available to the public right from their site. As far as I can tell, getting at the official rulebook is almost impossible.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
the rule that you can cross the goal line and its a TD regardless of what happens the second after you cross, but if you catch it and have possession in the end zone and it hits the ground it is NOT a TD, thats a silly rule. theres no consistency in stuff like that.,
I don't have a problem with this. The rules for completing a pass and catch are consistent whether it's in the end zone or in the regular field of play. It doesn't have anything to do with crossing the goal line with the football.

The difference between the two scenarios you listed is possession. When a runner crosses the plane of the goal line, he has already demonstrated possession so it should be irrelevant what happens after that. The receiver who catches the ball in the end zone needs to demonstrate possession and therefore needs to control the ball as he hits the ground.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

Quote:

Have you been watching baseball lately...it would be an 8 hour docudrama about how poor that MLB umpiring is...and it isn't just balls and strikes.

Anyway...Mike has a crappy job, but does decent work. Its the rules committee made of coaches that make this game hard to officiate.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote