The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Denver defense deserves accolades, but offense doing its fair share, too

By Brian Howell
© 2009 Longmont Times-Call

Throughout the preseason, the Denver Broncos kept saying they had a bunch of weapons on offense. Those weapons didn’t do much in the preseason, however.

They didn’t do much in Week 1 against Cincinnati, either.

But those weapons are now starting to emerge.

Quarterback Kyle Orton has gotten better each game, and his spectacular performance Sunday was a big reason the Broncos beat New England 20-17 in overtime.

Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall is looking more and more comfortable in the offense, too. Eddie Royal finally had a breakout game Sunday. Jabar Gaffney, Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler have been threats in the passing game also.

Throw in the running back duo of Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter, and this looks like an offense that could be dangerous.

Learning to execute head coach Josh McDaniels’ offense properly takes time, but the Broncos seem to be getting the hang of it a little more each week.

“Offensively, we want to play well every week, but it is still a process,” Orton said. “Hopefully, we will be a better offense next week than we were this week — and I will be a better quarterback.”

CAUSE FOR CONCERN? Moreno is having a good rookie year, with 337 rushing yards to this point. That puts him on pace for 1,078 yards for the season.

Moreno has also lost fumbles in two straight games, and he had several other plays Sunday in which he lost his handle on the ball after hitting the ground.

“I’m worried about anybody that puts the ball on the ground, but I feel pretty comfortable with him,” McDaniels said. “He doesn’t normally do that, and I know he let it out there a few times today. We can’t continue to do that. We have to work hard to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

HAVING FUN: Monday, McDaniels talked about why he was so animated in his celebration of Sunday’s win.

“I grew up the son of a coach, and losing stinks,” he said. “We work too hard to not enjoy the wins.

“I let my hair down (Sunday).”

Brian Howell can be reached at
bhowell@times-call.com.

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?id=18603
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I loved Ortons comments on Monday Night. They kept asking about him and kept talking about the team. It's a team game.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I love Mike Shanahan, but never did seeing him on the sidelines ever really get me ramped up.

Seeing McDaniels out there, completely animated, is just plain fun.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
I love Mike Shanahan, but never did seeing him on the sidelines ever really get me ramped up.

Seeing McDaniels out there, completely animated, is just plain fun.
Agreed, he has an energy that is really contagious. Also, it must be said that the entire team is really fun to watch because they are good, but getting better each and every week. Something I haven't said about this team in quite awhile.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Agreed, he has an energy that is really contagious. Also, it must be said that the entire team is really fun to watch because they are good, but getting better each and every week. Something I haven't said about this team in quite awhile.
i love his emotions on the field, but i doubt they will last for his entire career.

everything right now is new to him and exciting and he is having fun proving doubters wrong. but in a couple years when his product on the field is expected to be good and the new and exciting part of the game has become normal for him, he will become less animated, which in the case of maturing and getting more experience is great, but in seeing him have fun will be missed.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i love his emotions on the field, but i doubt they will last for his entire career.

everything right now is new to him and exciting and he is having fun proving doubters wrong. but in a couple years when his product on the field is expected to be good and the new and exciting part of the game has become normal for him, he will become less animated, which in the case of maturing and getting more experience is great, but in seeing him have fun will be missed.
they lasted for cowhers
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote