The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Cap Space. and Re-signing our guys.

I really dont have a clue on how much money we will have next year. But i got rough estimates on what it will take to re-sign some of our guys

Chris SneeGuard6/24/2008: Signed six-year, $41.25 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $13.5 million signing bonus. Another $2 million is available through escalators. 2009: $1.95 million, 2010: $2.45 million, 2011: $2.95 million, 2012: $5.2 million, 2013: $6.2 million, 2014: $6.2 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

Roddy WhiteWide Receiver8/8/2009: Signed a six-year, $48 million contract. The deal contains $18.6 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus and his entire 2009-2010 salaries. Another $4 million is available through incentives. 2009: $6 million, 2010: $6.6 million, 2011: $4 million (+ $5.3 million option bonus), 2012: $5.5 million, 2013: $5.6 million, 2014: $5 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charges: $8,113,530 (2009), $7.8 million (2010), $6.525 million (2011), $8.025 million (2012), $9.125 million (2013), $6.325 million (2014).

Terrell SuggsDefensive Lineman7/15/2009: Signed a six-year, $62.5 million contract. The heavily front-loaded deal contains $38.1 million guaranteed, including a $10.1 million signing bonus and Suggs' full first-year salary. 2009: $5 million, 2010: $1.9 million (+ $23 million option bonus due in March), 2011: $3.4 million (including salary and bonuses), 2012: $4.9 million (including salary and bonuses), 2013-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent

I would like to see Champ Bailey tied down long term. so hopefully we can get out from under that 15 million due next season.

Daniel Graham needs to re-due his contract.

I know its early but i am curious what everyone thinks
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Next yr is going to be uncapped. But teams can protect 3 players so it could be more a yr to resign your own players rather then hit the FA market.

Seems like good timing for the Broncos. They could in theory keep everyone they want.

I think Kuper/Marshall/Doom are locks

Graham probably have to take a pay cut
Bailey probably stays but you never know.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Next yr is going to be uncapped. But teams can protect 3 players so it could be more a yr to resign your own players rather then hit the FA market.

Seems like good timing for the Broncos. They could in theory keep everyone they want.

With the year being uncapped. could they pay off alot of bonuses to free up money going forward? and if they didnt i am sure at some point their will be a cap and what happens to teams that exceed that cap.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Kuper/Dumervil won't command as much as those guys you listed.

Marshall might the only one problematic to sign.

And we need to keep Champ. He's playing at an extremely high level right now and we don't have the pass rush from our OLBs to give up a shut down corner like that. If Bailey goes then it'll have a knock on effect on everything.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
With the year being uncapped. could they pay off alot of bonuses to free up money going forward? and if they didnt i am sure at some point their will be a cap and what happens to teams that exceed that cap.
They probably could but then remember you have to part with all that money that year. Don't go expecting Bowlen to want a huge payroll all in one yr.

I would think they still make decisions based on what they feel players are worth. Not just keeping everyone because fans like them. In every offseason you will have some tough decisions to make.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

With the economy the way it is and the lack of parity this year, I bet we will see the cap imposed for next year.
SouthCarolinaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

They could have spent a lot more money this year and still be under the cap. Cash flow is the problem and that won't be helped by the possibility of an uncapped year.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Kyle Orton. If he keeps playing like he is, you're looking at a Cassel-like deal. Maybe more.
Man-Goblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I am looking for Kuper to get something in the range of 5 years and 30 million with about 12 or so guaranteed. If he makes the pro bowl this year and that is not impossible it will be a bit higher, but that should be his range.

Graham I think will take a pay cut if he is happy here and feels he is involved enough in the offense, something like 4 years for 15 million seems about right to me.

Bailey gets a new deal I think, he is nearly 10 mill in salary so with a neal deal we can bring that number down. I am looking for him to sign a deal not unlike the Lito Sheppard deal, but more front loaded.

Dumervil is difficult, he could get a James Harrison like deal 6 years at 52 million, but I think 42-45 is more realistic over 6 years, it really depends a bit what happens with Merriman and Ware since they will both need new deals and could set the stage for young pass rushing 3-4 OLBs.

Marshall will get a deal that averages about 8-9 mill per years, look for 7 years at 60 million, backloaded with performance incentives.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
Kyle Orton. If he keeps playing like he is, you're looking at a Cassel-like deal. Maybe more.
Kyle Orton is a prime candidate for a franchise tag or RFA tag, we don't want to pay out all the new contracts the same year and by staggering it this way we can put off paying him for one more year.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Considering what Orton has had to say about McDaniels and they way he feels in this team, then I think Orton would probably be the one who would want to get the deal signed right away.

After all, if McDaniels can make Orton work in this offense then Orton needs this team more than the team needs him.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Kyle Orton is a prime candidate for a franchise tag or RFA tag, we don't want to pay out all the new contracts the same year and by staggering it this way we can put off paying him for one more year.

Isn't that going to be like $16 million guaranteed? Cassel was $14+ million this year.

I'd say Orton is probably one of the easier guys to sign up for the long term (if we're interested in doing that by season's end) because he's happy to finally be in a situation where the staff trusts him. I think his Chicago experience works to our benefit where he now knows the grass is greener on this side.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

If the FO follows the NE model no way Champ gets 15 mil. and that may be why we drafted A Davis.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Considering what Orton has had to say about McDaniels and they way he feels in this team, then I think Orton would probably be the one who would want to get the deal signed right away.

After all, if McDaniels can make Orton work in this offense then Orton needs this team more than the team needs him.
You mean like Cassel last year in NE.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If the FO follows the NE model no way Champ gets 15 mil. and that may be why we drafted A Davis.
Smith.

And Champ needs to stay.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #16
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
you mean A. Smith
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'm afraid Kuper might be the odd man out. Not only is he rumored to be interested in playing for Pittsburgh, but Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca utterly destroyed the salary structure for guards these past few years.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
I'm afraid Kuper might be the odd man out. Not only is he rumored to be interested in playing for Pittsburgh, but Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca utterly destroyed the salary structure for guards these past few years.
Pitt will make playoffs and only be able to sign a player if someone signs one of there FA first.

Also with 3 tags to use teams will protect players limiting movement.

I also don't think Kuper yet in the same league as hutchinson who was going to pro bowls. ETC ETC.

But if he doesn't want to be a Bronco some team can give us a first round pick for him.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

No offense to Chris Kuper but at this point he is not a top 10 OG in this league so he will not command Hutchinson or Faneca money. Certainly not after a rookie deal. If he makes the Pro-Bowl that may well change.

BTW guys if things stay as they are and it is an uncapped year, nearly everyone of Denver's out of contract players are restricted bar Ben Hamilton and that includes Kyle Orton believe it or not.

If the Broncos couldn't afford to pay all of those guys in the one season then you may well see quite a few high tenders being thrown around such as 1sts and 3rds as compensation for as low as $3m per season salary.

BTW Champ Bailey has a contract which pays him anywhere between $10.5m and as high as $12.5m next year anyway, with an outlandish cap figure tipping the scales at over $17m but as I've said previously the cap figure for 2010 may well be totally irrelevant.

At some point when I get time to update all the new contracts I'll do a complete breakdown on our situation for 2010.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
At some point when I get time to update all the new contracts I'll do a complete breakdown on our situation for 2010.
That'd be great.

You da mac-man, eddie.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
No offense to Chris Kuper but at this point he is not a top 10 OG in this league so he will not command Hutchinson or Faneca money. Certainly not after a rookie deal. If he makes the Pro-Bowl that may well change.

BTW guys if things stay as they are and it is an uncapped year, nearly everyone of Denver's out of contract players are restricted bar Ben Hamilton and that includes Kyle Orton believe it or not.

If the Broncos couldn't afford to pay all of those guys in the one season then you may well see quite a few high tenders being thrown around such as 1sts and 3rds as compensation for as low as $3m per season salary.

BTW Champ Bailey has a contract which pays him anywhere between $10.5m and as high as $12.5m next year anyway, with an outlandish cap figure tipping the scales at over $17m but as I've said previously the cap figure for 2010 may well be totally irrelevant.

Yeah that would be cool.

A lot of people just ignorant on how the uncapped yr will work. It could mean as many as 50 players not being FA.

Teams won't want to part with draft picks so you won't see much movement.

Maybe more trades next yr. You know sign and trade type stuff between teams.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
That'd be great.

You da mac-man, eddie.
Thanks eddie
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Bailey returning depends on him doing a new deal which will depend on him deciding whether or not he believes he has a legit shot for a ring in Denver
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
Denver724
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Kuper/Dumervil won't command as much as those guys you listed.

Marshall might the only one problematic to sign.

And we need to keep Champ. He's playing at an extremely high level right now and we don't have the pass rush from our OLBs to give up a shut down corner like that. If Bailey goes then it'll have a knock on effect on everything.
I think you may be surprised how much Kuper gets. Guards are in demand and our usually targeted early in FA.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #25
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
I think you may be surprised how much Kuper gets. Guards are in demand and our usually targeted early in FA.
Kuper is up and coming but he certainly isn't well known Nationally yet, infact Hamilton is better known and will be more popular as a UFA this Summer. Plus the fact Chris isn't reknowned as being versatile enough to play OC and teams love that flexibility with Internal Linemen.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote