The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Bob
Ring of Famer

Default Most poorly utilized player this year?

My vote is for Hillis (yes, even with his fumble, and a dumb block in the back.)

There are few things to complain about this year – but wanted to hear folks take. Some players are struggling – like Royal, but I don’t think he has been under utilized, or poorly used, but hope that Hillis can “redeem himself” so we can see some of what he was able to do last year. He can bring an explosiveness we won’t ever see from Jordan and he can catch very well out of the backfield. My hat’s off to Moreno, he has earned the starting spot, but feel like Hillis is lost in this new system, and wonder if he had a few more touches he would get his groove back, which would make us even better.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

....and the false start on the goal line.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

When you are 5-0 nobody is being underutilized.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think this could be the week for Hillis to get 10 touches. Broncos will want to control the clock, keep Rivers watching the game.

Buck out and Moreno also has some ball control issues. I think Broncos looking to run ball 35 times etc. To do that IMO they will need 10 carries from Hillis.

I do believe though that Mcdaniels will like the matchup Broncos oline and Graham, vs Chargers front 7. We can block every player they have.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Meck77
Google Blows

Well Bob Royal did have 10 catches for 90 yards vs NE. He was on Coach McD's show last night and he was talking about how they've turned the corner with timing.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I'm hoping that he is getting reps in practice, I don't know. His **** ups are mental though. So maybe they can be fixed. If he could get his head out of his ass he'd be that RB that we need to pound it between the Tackles. That's the one weakness that really stands out to me in this year's Offense at the moment. We need a better short yardage running game.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Hillis is a weapon and I don't really understand McD's hesitation to put him into the game plans. Perhaps McD is just waiting for the right situation to bring Hillis in and get him the ball.

If Moreno needs a rest and Buckhalter is not playing, then I don't understand NOT putting Hillis in the "I" back formation and either running him up the middle, or doing some play action with him. Orton can always dump the ball off to this guy...

Not really sure what is going on. Not using Hillis is kind of a mystery to me.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
....and the false start on the goal line.
Yep. That just killed me. He was being given his chances and he just kept blowing them.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
My vote is for Hillis (yes, even with his fumble, and a dumb block in the back.)

There are few things to complain about this year – but wanted to hear folks take. Some players are struggling – like Royal, but I don’t think he has been under utilized, or poorly used, but hope that Hillis can “redeem himself” so we can see some of what he was able to do last year. He can bring an explosiveness we won’t ever see from Jordan and he can catch very well out of the backfield. My hat’s off to Moreno, he has earned the starting spot, but feel like Hillis is lost in this new system, and wonder if he had a few more touches he would get his groove back, which would make us even better.
With how consistently Graham seems to get good yardage, I would like to see him get a couple more touches a game. I would hate to be a defensive back when that guy comes rumbling down the field.

As far as Hillis is concerned, he needs to do more with the opportunities he's been given before we see him get targeted more. He has done jack so far and while it may be due to a lack of touches, that's more his fault than anything. You screw up early in the game like he has been, you don't see the ball again that game. It's pretty simple. Maybe he'll see a little more non-blocking action when Larsen comes back. He has the talent, but he just needs to get his head in the right place.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I think we would be 5-0 if we could just find away to get Hillis the ball more.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
KevinJames
Peyton Taking us to SB 13

Rumor is hes not very bright and he keeps making mistakes.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Psh they need to sign Ahman Green and/or Shaun Alexander. Think, just a few years ago these guys were elite.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I think we would be 5-0 if we could just find away to get Hillis the ball more.
Haha awesome. I just don't understand "Play my favorite player more!!!" arguments like this. I don't see Hillis doing any better out there than Moreno or Buckhalter. That is not to say Hillis is a bad guy, I think he has a lot of talent, but why screw with what is clearly working?
SouthCarolinaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Rumor is hes not very bright and he keeps making mistakes.
I'm not buying that. The NFL ain't loaded with brains to begin with, coaches know that they are gonna have players who perhaps need a little extra coaching.

Why did McD have Hillis returning kickoffs? That's just stupid. He's not a kickoff return guy and I blame McD for Hillis's fumble more than Hillis. That was just silly of McD.

The less Hillis plays, the harder it's going to be for him to assimilate the offense, period. McD is just choosing not to use Hillis, IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just reading your thread title I automatically thought of Hillis as well.

Can't believe how quickly some of the posters on here have apparently soured on him. Just go back and watch one of those youtube highlight videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSjDe0WDuCg , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48HAiaY3vps) and I feel like people will fall in love all over again. He was amazing for us when we needed him most. I know people have only seen him **** up this year, but he was inexplicably in the doghouse last year too until they gave him some opportunities. I don't know what the deal is, but maybe he's just one of those players you have to feed the rock to and that makes him get his game on.

Other players...Sheffler until this last game. We should be closer to getting Larsen healthy, so that's something to look forward to. Yeah, so I guess besides Hillis it seems like most people are getting a chance to make plays. Well, Jarvis has been left inactive...
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Why did McD have Hillis returning kickoffs? That's just stupid. He's not a kickoff return guy and I blame McD for Hillis's fumble more than Hillis. That was just silly of McD.

I think Hillis handled KR duties in college, which was one of the reasons to get him some touches in that aspect of the game. I know he def did some PR.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Hillis has gotten screwed over thus far hes only gotten the ball 4 times on offense he could surely help in short yardage situations.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Yep. That just killed me. He was being given his chances and he just kept blowing them.
Well Hillis does have one goal line TD already. He's made errors on Special teams.....but the question I have what is Hillis doing on special teams in the first place He's to valuable not to be utilized in 3rd and short, or as a receiver outof the backfield. Oh well perhaps when we lose a few games due to our inefficiency's in converting 3rd and short and coming up short in the red zone, perhaps McD will start utilizing Hillis more. By the way, Hillis would elevate Orton's dink and dunks/screen passes as well. Just give him the opportunity.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Give it up already. Moreno and Buck are going to run the ball.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I'm a Hillis fan like everyone else but I've learned not to second guess McDaniels, I've figured out he's a hell of a lot smarter than any of us............There has to be a reason he's had no playing time......
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaBronco View Post
Haha awesome. I just don't understand "Play my favorite player more!!!" arguments like this. I don't see Hillis doing any better out there than Moreno or Buckhalter. That is not to say Hillis is a bad guy, I think he has a lot of talent, but why screw with what is clearly working?
I want us to use the flea flicker more.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
Hillis has gotten screwed over thus far hes only gotten the ball 4 times on offense he could surely help in short yardage situations.
Agreed. It's not like we haven't been stuffed on some 3rd & 4th downs with 1 yard to convert. It's happened several times. On 3rd & 1, give me Hillis every time. That's not a knock on Moreno or Buckhalter but Hillis doesn't get denied often.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaBronco View Post
Hillis is a better 3rd and inches/short Rb over Moreno. However both Moreno and Hillis have great hands out of the back field. I think McD should have both Moreno and Hillis in the back field at the same time as RBBC.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
Killericon
YES A DT!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I want us to use the flea flicker more.
I want more wishbone.

Royal, Marshall, Hillis, Moreno and Buckhalter could run this thing.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Agreed. It's not like we haven't been stuffed on some 3rd & 4th downs with 1 yard to convert. It's happened several times. On 3rd & 1, give me Hillis every time. That's not a knock on Moreno or Buckhalter but Hillis doesn't get denied often.
Thats 3 of us who agree. I'd love to see both Moreno and Hillis in the Red Zone together.....I bet our scoring improves dramatically.