The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default Running plays...Up the gut = NO! Wait a minute...

I got these stats from football outsiders, So hope they are accurate. I believe they are.
http://footballoutsiders.com/

There were several (numerous ) mentions that McD seems to have
like for running it directly up the gut, during the game threads and a few others. And we did seem to get stuffed there last week.

Below are the carries for Denver by the position run against or to in % for the year:

RB Carries LT. END LT. TACKLE MID/GUARD RT.TACKLE RT. END
DEN 142 8% 6% 67% 12% 7%

And here are the adjusted line yards (ALY) accomplished by those runs:

TEAM ALY ALY RANK ALY RANK ALY RANK ALY RANK ALY RANK
LT. END LT TACKLE MID/GUARD RT. TACKLE RT. END
DEN 4.69 11 1.02 31 4.98 3 4.62 11 5.85 4

This indicates that we are third in the league in success up the middle. Also we are Not sucessful going directly against Cladys Opposite (surprising), yet fairly successful going outside (either end), but more so to the right. However, we are pretty bad in percentage of plays that are stuffed (25% and 29th in the league). (the stats are from the Offensive line stats)

I'm not sure what to make of this, other than when we go up the middle it seem we would do better trying Kuper/ Harris and not Clady /Hamilton. It does seem that we have run that way (left) more often than not when getting stuffed , and that we would do well trying to incorporate more pitches and tosses, or sweeps, and trying to get more to the outside than we have. The lack of success going toward Clady (31st in the league) is very surprising.

Last edited by ScottXray; 10-13-2009 at 04:32 PM..
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Merlin
Ring of Famer

The problem is when he decides to run it up Wilfork. His offense always considers the opponent, but in the NE game, he seemed to have forgotten at times
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Going up the middle is one of those plays that you have to keep pounding at to have success. I love how Mcdaniels calls the plays. This kid is slick. Yes Wilfork was stuffing Hamilton and the run, but didn't you notice later in the game how Wilfork seemed tired?

You don't run away from guys like Wilfork, you run it at him and make him work 4 quarters. IMO Shanny was also very smart when it came to this, as well as Kubiak etc.

Running the ball is as much about dedication to it, as it is having talent at it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
I got these stats from football outsiders, So hope they are accurate. I believe they are.
http://footballoutsiders.com/

There were several (numerous ) mentions that McD seems to have
like for running it directly up the gut, during the game threads and a few others. And we did seem to get stuffed there last week.

Below are the carries for Denver by the position run against or to in % for the year:

RB Carries LT. END LT. TACKLE MID/GUARD RT.TACKLE RT. END
DEN 142 8% 6% 67% 12% 7%

And here are the adjusted line yards (ALY) accomplished by those runs:

TEAM ALY ALY RANK ALY RANK ALY RANK ALY RANK ALY RANK
LT. END LT TACKLE MID/GUARD RT. TACKLE RT. END
DEN 4.69 11 1.02 31 4.98 3 4.62 11 5.85 4

This indicates that we are third in the league in success up the middle. Also we are Not sucessful going directly against Cladys Opposite (surprising), yet fairly successful going outside (either end), but more so to the right. However, we are pretty bad in percentage of plays that are stuffed (25% and 29th in the league). (the stats are from the Offensive line stats)

I'm not sure what to make of this, other than when we go up the middle it seem we would do better trying Kuper/ Harris and not Clady /Hamilton. It does seem that we have run that way (left) more often than not when getting stuffed , and that we would do well trying to incorporate more pitches and tosses, or sweeps, and trying to get more to the outside than we have. The lack of success going toward Clady (31st in the league) is very surprising.
I'm not sure running Moreno up the damn middle all the time makes any damn sense. Yah, ok, run him up the middle every once in a while to keep the defense honest but for heaven's sake, run him off tackle and to the outside where his true skills can be showcased.

Jordon, up the middle. Hillis, up the middle, Larsen, up the middle (Jordon and Hillis out of the single back formation).

Moreno and Buck, to the outside more than up the gut.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Bob
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Going up the middle is one of those plays that you have to keep pounding at to have success. I love how Mcdaniels calls the plays. This kid is slick. Yes Wilfork was stuffing Hamilton and the run, but didn't you notice later in the game how Wilfork seemed tired?

You don't run away from guys like Wilfork, you run it at him and make him work 4 quarters. IMO Shanny was also very smart when it came to this, as well as Kubiak etc.

Running the ball is as much about dedication to it, as it is having talent at it.
I think so too, you have to keep-em honest...considering how heavy that guy is, I thought he played quite well throughout the game -- wish we had him.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I was dying to see a sweep or toss play in there, because I thought it would've gone for big yards in some of those short runs that we ran up the middle.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm not sure running Moreno up the damn middle all the time makes any damn sense. Yah, ok, run him up the middle every once in a while to keep the defense honest but for heaven's sake, run him off tackle and to the outside where his true skills can be showcased.

Jordon, up the middle. Hillis, up the middle, Larsen, up the middle (Jordon and Hillis out of the single back formation).

We think alike. Power back up the middle, but Moreno and Buck would do better more outside (off tackle).

I wonder if we see 2-3 TE sets this week, (Graham and Quinn) and run more right with Graham sealing the edge. We need Moreno to see 25+ carries this week. Sure would be nice to see holes for him to run through.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Wilfork? Oh yeah I wish we had him also. Could you imagine a beast like that in the middle? Fields playing great but he's more of a role player then a star like Wilfork. Feilds playing really well though, he's just not the beast Wilfork is.

There are only a couple players in the league like Wilfork.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title

Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

Hillis is still on the team?
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Sweeps and run to the outiside look to the laymen like they would work well but in reality the NFL is not about trying to go outside. You run outside and you see team YPC go down, its just a fact.

The way you make yrds in the NFL is pounding away for 2-3.5 yrds a pop. Then when you finally pop one or 2 runs it brings that avg up. But the money is the grind it out, never take negative yardage type attack.

Believe it or not 3 yrds on first down isn't a bad play. 2-3 yrds on 2nd down is not a bad play. 3 and 5 is very manageable and is what Mcdaniels is shooting for.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Going up the middle is one of those plays that you have to keep pounding at to have success. I love how Mcdaniels calls the plays. This kid is slick. Yes Wilfork was stuffing Hamilton and the r
Agreed, but I was thinking more along the lines third and short. I seem to remember a couple of those runs, and don't care for it. However, I do agree you want to run them in general, not only to fatigue the players, but to keep the defense honest. That is why I think it is stupid to give up on the run just because your putting up poor yards per rush. Running game should always be part and parcel of every offense, no matter how effective it is.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Usually when you run the draws out of the gun they go pretty close to up the middle.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

How about running up the middle with Hillis lead blocking for Moreno! That would work!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Sweeps and run to the outiside look to the laymen like they would work well but in reality the NFL is not about trying to go outside. You run outside and you see team YPC go down, its just a fact.

The way you make yrds in the NFL is pounding away for 2-3.5 yrds a pop. Then when you finally pop one or 2 runs it brings that avg up. But the money is the grind it out, never take negative yardage type attack.

Believe it or not 3 yrds on first down isn't a bad play. 2-3 yrds on 2nd down is not a bad play. 3 and 5 is very manageable and is what Mcdaniels is shooting for.
This is the only reason why McD is using Moreno the way he is. That is, he's pounding the rock in the hopes of wearing down the defense and with the hopes that Moreno will break a long run every once in a while.

My contention is that Moreno is gonna wear down if this is how McD is gonna use him all the time. Maybe have Buckhalter around is really giving McD the flexibility to continue running Moreno up the middle.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
Usually when you run the draws out of the gun they go pretty close to up the middle.
Well draw plays be design are meant to draw the front 7 past the LOS, then bust the RB past them. I'm trying to picture a draw play that is designed to go outside. Not sure you ever really see that. I think if you want to attack the outside against a defense that is attacking really hard you run a screen, a draw play would be to slow to develop to try and get the runner outside.

I'm no coach though just going on what I have seen over the years.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #16
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

I'm thinking we are so bad at plays getting stuffed because of the short yardage running weakness. I haven't looked at a stats vs. plays comparison, but it seems like we get into these situations where we need to pick up 1 or 2 yards for a first. We line up, the opposing Defense lines up...and we can't block to save our freaking lives. The goal line against the Raiders, that failed 4th down attempt (who was that?), I can't remember picking up a short conversion by run all year.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

That's why I'd like to see a few toss sweeps or pitch outs.. the RB gets the ball fairly quickly and is able to see the hole develope or cut it outside the end further if there is nothing near the Tackle/Guard position.

Obviously it would be better if you simply hand off to a back coming towards a hole but we have been getting stuffed quite a bit. On a hand off he doens't have as much room to change direction and justs runs into a pile if its stuffed. Moreno made a great play last week on such a play when he was able to cut right around the stacked line and take it outside, but for a while it looked like it would be a no gain.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I'm thinking we are so bad at plays getting stuffed because of the short yardage running weakness.

That's because our short yardage stud is being kept on the bench.

It's very difficult to second guess McDaniels at this point - but every third down that Hillis isn't on the field, I have trouble not wondering why Hillis isn't being given an opportunity. From what I've seen of him and Jordan, I'd much rather have Hillis in there on third downs.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Well draw plays be design are meant to draw the front 7 past the LOS, then bust the RB past them. I'm trying to picture a draw play that is designed to go outside. Not sure you ever really see that. I think if you want to attack the outside against a defense that is attacking really hard you run a screen, a draw play would be to slow to develop to try and get the runner outside.

I'm no coach though just going on what I have seen over the years.
That is what I said without explaining it. Denver runs the ball a lot out of the Gun and the off G and Draws will always go between the T's.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #20
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Hillis produces when given the chance. He'll get another chance to shine. Even though he's only had four carries, he's produced a TD in that limited role (same as Buck or Moreno in their 118 carries)
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #21
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The problem is when he decides to run it up Wilfork. His offense always considers the opponent, but in the NE game, he seemed to have forgotten at times
Wilfolk should have been doubled team. Hillis could have helped out alot in this this regard.

Point is, I'd like to see Hillis be used as a lead blocker for Moreno....just like Griffin was used as the lead blocker for Terrell Davis in 96, 97, and 98.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
That's because our short yardage stud is being kept on the bench.

It's very difficult to second gue is something I am missing here.ess McDaniels at this point - but every third down that Hillis isn't on the field, I have trouble not wondering why Hillis isn't being given an opportunity. From what I've seen of him and Jordan, I'd much rather have Hillis in there on third downs.
I agree, where the hell is Hillis on those crucial make or break 1st down opportunities?

My only criticsm of McD so far is why are you trying to make Moreno "the bruiser"?

Third/Fourth and inches is time to punish the defense, not out-fox them.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #23
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

what about hillis and moreno in the backfeild, fake to hillis up the middle, then toss out to moreno,

hey it works for me in madden
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Wilfolk should have been doubled team. Hillis could have helped out alot in this this regard.

Point is, I'd like to see Hillis be used as a lead blocker for Moreno....just like Griffin was used as the lead blocker for Terrell Davis in 96, 97, and 98.
How is a FB going to double team a tackle? You just don't really see that. They are to get into the hole and take out linebackers and safety's. You really know very little about football just give it up.

we should have used Hillis to block Wilfork. Get a clue.

If you double Wilfork it would be a guard center thing you moron.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChad View Post
what about hillis and moreno in the backfeild, fake to hillis up the middle, then toss out to moreno,

hey it works for me in madden
If we face a team our coach feels we are faster then I'm sure you will see us attack the edges.