The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default "Just keep passing the ball."

It probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I didn't know where else to put this.

I was dumbstruck yesterday when watching the game when in the third quarter, we moved away from Orton and the successful passing game to run the ball three times in a row to expire our downs.

I found myself on drives saying "just keep passing the ball." I was dumbfounded by this, because I can't even remember the last time I had this sentiment - even during the Elway days.

Now, I'm always for nice passes, but in clutch situations where we can't afford to make a mistake, I am one for grinding it out. I think the pass can be a liability as the game wears on because quarterbacks have a tendancy to force things when the going gets tough.

Not Orton.

Orton goes out - does nothing flashy - but just gets it done. Moves the ball. Makes *few* mistakes. Completes passes. I really like the guy. He reminds me of all the best things that people liked about pre-injury Griese, and No Mistake Jake. He's both efficient and gutsy. That's a good combination. That's how Mark Rypien won a Superbowl. That's how Rich Gannon lifted the Raiders out of the muck for a brief time. It's the foundation of Tom Brady's early career, that he's built a HOF house on.

Whether he's as much of an assett if he had more pressure on him - I guess we'll find out. But the guy can definitely run the offense. He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

I agree 100%. I was saying this on the game thread. We were extremely efficient with the passing game and McD stuck with the run when it could have costed us.

I love that McD is establishing a running game in Denver but yesterday it seemed like a bad choice for some time there.

That said, we passed the ball what, 45 times?
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I remember before this game someone saying (exact quote) "Orton will not pass the ball 45 times."
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Too bad his INT streak ended like that. I was hoping for 0 INTs on the year.

He makes some so-so throws but he's a lucky SOB too. This guy has "it" and I don't know what "it" is. But he's got it and he's gonna have a great season.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

we have the pass blocking to pull it off. Without the glove Orton looked Montana like. 73% and hit the reciever in stride most of the time
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaK-Argentina View Post
Too bad his INT streak ended like that. I was hoping for 0 INTs on the year.

He makes some so-so throws but he's a lucky SOB too. This guy has "it" and I don't know what "it" is. But he's got it and he's gonna have a great season.
Its funny about the luck issue.

Its his trademark.

Dude has rabbits feet, horseshoes, four-leaf clovers and every other possibly kind of lucky charm known to man because luck follows his ass everywhere. In Chicago, even back at Purdue.

Maybe its not luck. Maybe its just that his teammates love the guy so much they'd run through walls to help him get his job done.

I mean, that first tipped ball that went straight up into the air and Brandon Marshall comes back hustling to knock it down, does he do that for Cutler? Is he even prepared enough for the situation to do that for Cutler? Or the Gaffney triple tip or Stokely's tip. Lucky as hell, but man something about our guys being there like Johnny-On-The-Spot to help Orton out of a bad toss. Not just here, everywhere.

Seriously, there is a reason luck follows this guy. I just cant put my finger on it. I dont think its something to rely on by any means but I also don't think that kind of luck comes and goes.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post

Its his trademark.

Dude has rabbits feet, horseshoes, four-leaf clovers and every other possibly kind of lucky charm known to man because luck follows his ass everywhere. In Chicago, even back at Purdue.

Maybe its not luck. Maybe its just that his teammates love the guy so much they'd run through walls to help him get his job done.

I mean, that first tipped ball that went straight up into the air and Brandon Marshall comes back hustling to knock it down, does he do that for Cutler? Is he even prepared enough for the situation to do that for Cutler? Or the Gaffney triple tip or Stokely's tip. Lucky as hell, but man something about our guys being there like Johnny-On-The-Spot to help Orton out of a bad toss. Not just here, everywhere.

Seriously, there is a reason luck follows this guy. I just cant put my finger on it. I dont think its something to rely on by any means but I also don't think that kind of luck comes and goes.
Luckiest QB I have ever seen.

When everyone was freaking out in the game thread I mentioned that that type of physical game favors the Broncos. This team at home is well served by wearing the opposition down running the ball considering the altitude. Matchup their strength with most other teams weakness...the want.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.
Rep
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

running three straight times at vince wilfork was stupid.....
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:

Its his trademark.

I'm in sales and there is a saying that I learned in my business from day one over 24 years ago:

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
running three straight times at vince wilfork was stupid.....
You're just never going to be happy are you?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:

Its his trademark.

Orton is called smart but I think a better description for him is wily & cool under pressure and that is a hell of a combination.

BTW Thanks for the Cold hard Facts web site.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
I'm not a hater, but even I thought it was stupid to keep running it at him. I figured McD was setting them up for the toss sweep or something else, but it never happend. Maybe just giving other teams something to be ready for Denver to run up the middle, then bam, toss right/left for the TD.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
I'm in sales and there is a saying that I learned in my business from day one over 24 years ago:

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
There is another one in sales, 'I'd rather be lucky than good."
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
no one is allowed to be as miserable as you

anyway, this season has been a blast. I like not knowing what is going to happen next.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great McBronco16 View Post
I'm not a hater, but even I thought it was stupid to keep running it at him. I figured McD was setting them up for the toss sweep or something else, but it never happend. Maybe just giving other teams something to be ready for Denver to run up the middle, then bam, toss right/left for the TD.
He's gone for it on 4th and short a couple of times and come up short but I still like the call.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
no one is allowed to be as miserable as you

anyway, this season has been a blast. I like not knowing what is going to happen next.
Did you know what was going to happen under Shanahan?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Did you know what was going to happen under Shanahan?
it seemed like it...this season has been like a breath of fresh air
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
it seemed like it...this season has been like a breath of fresh air
It sure has - the Broncos are exciting and I feel we can play with any team in the league. i do think we will have a hard time with Manning and the Colts.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:
I mean, that first tipped ball that went straight up into the air and Brandon Marshall comes back hustling to knock it down, does he do that for Cutler? Is he even prepared enough for the situation to do that for Cutler?
So Orton gets credit for Marshall's hustle on this play? Hilarious. He wouldn't do it for Cutler? Hilarious.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #21
Greybeard
Standing by my principles

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Well . . .

Quote:
It probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I didn't know where else to put this.

I was dumbstruck yesterday when watching the game when in the third quarter, we moved away from Orton and the successful passing game to run the ball three times in a row to expire our downs.

I found myself on drives saying "just keep passing the ball." I was dumbfounded by this, because I can't even remember the last time I had this sentiment - even during the Elway days.

Now, I'm always for nice passes, but in clutch situations where we can't afford to make a mistake, I am one for grinding it out. I think the pass can be a liability as the game wears on because quarterbacks have a tendancy to force things when the going gets tough.

Not Orton.

Orton goes out - does nothing flashy - but just gets it done. Moves the ball. Makes *few* mistakes. Completes passes. I really like the guy. He reminds me of all the best things that people liked about pre-injury Griese, and No Mistake Jake. He's both efficient and gutsy. That's a good combination. That's how Mark Rypien won a Superbowl. That's how Rich Gannon lifted the Raiders out of the muck for a brief time. It's the foundation of Tom Brady's early career, that he's built a HOF house on.

Whether he's as much of an assett if he had more pressure on him - I guess we'll find out. But the guy can definitely run the offense. He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.
A lot of people thought Orton was an asset last year, and he had a bunch of
matadores for an "offensive line." Yeah, he knows pressure . . .

Oh, and Manning doesn't have Cutler's arm, either . . .

Nonetheless, terrific post. Rep.

-----
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think people show their biases when they start making statements like that. We've rarely had any trouble with hustle on offense - or coming up with lucky plays for that matter.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I But the guy can definitely run the offense. He may not have Cutler's arm - but if Cutler had Orton's head, he'd be better than Peyton Manning.
There's a reason McDaniels targeted the guy. I personally didn't even know if he was brought in to be a starter when the trade went down, but when McD named him the starter in camp... I was a believer that he truly saw something in him.

As for the Cutler/Orton issue.. that's been well-covered. A "rocket arm" is about 1/3rd of the championship QB profile. In fact, it's not even a requirement.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
Greybeard
Standing by my principles

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
There's a reason McDaniels targeted the guy. I personally didn't even know if he was brought in to be a starter when the trade went down, but when McD named him the starter in camp... I was a believer that he truly saw something in him.

As for the Cutler/Orton issue.. that's been well-covered. A "rocket arm" is about 1/3rd of the championship QB profile. In fact, it's not even a requirement.
Y'think Joe Montana and Tom Brady might agree with you?

-----
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #25
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

I absolutely love it that KO goes into the huddle needing to drive 98 yards to tie the game and cracks a joke. He is both loose and composed. His teammates loved him in CHI and it is pretty apparent they love him here.

For all the talk of Belichick looking for McD after the game, I disagree. They had agreed to avoid the media and meet up afterward. Part of me thinks Bill was looking for Orton.
BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote