The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Some Broncos love in Peter Kings MMQB:

Quote:

• Kyle Orton is good.

• Josh McDaniels is a genius. A pretty emotional one, as it turns out.

Let me take a couple of those and dig in, starting with the Friendly Revenge Match in Denver.

As impressed as I am with Josh McDaniels in the wake of his 20-17 overtime victory over his mentor, Bill Belichick (I detailed much of that in last week's column), I'm just as impressed with Orton. Will it last? I don't know. Will the bubble burst? I don't know. But right now, he's every bit the surprising find to McDaniels' Denver team as Tom Brady was to the Patriots in 2001.

Underline this and put it in your mental bold print: I'm not saying Orton is as good as Brady or ever will be; what I am saying is that he's doing for the Broncos in 2009 what Brady did when Drew Bledsoe went down with an injury in 2001. Brady led the Patriots to a Super Bowl win no one saw coming. Can you sit there right now and say Orton might not do the same thing?

Exhibit A: Sunday at Invesco Field at Mile High (what a silly stadium moniker), Orton led the Broncos on scoring drives of 90, 66, 98 and 58 yards. With 10 minutes left in the game, New England led 17-10, and Denver was starting at its own 2. The Broncos weren't going to have many more chances -- two, maybe -- and Orton knew the significance when he went out to the huddle.

"We'd had a 95-yard drive earlier,'' Orton told me last night. (Actually, it was 90.) "And after we scored on that drive, I never had so much confidence in us as an offense before. It was a big game and we made a big drive. So here we were at the 2, and I got in the huddle and said, 'We did it once for 95 yards. What's three yards more?' '' And that was it for the inspiration.

The Patriots D looked gassed, even though it had been on the field for a reasonable 46 snaps to that point. But Orton only needed one third-down conversion and four and a half minutes to buzz down the field. He got 27 yards on a smart screen to Knowshon Moreno to put Denver into New England territory. On first down from the Pats' 11, New England thought Brandon Marshall would run a fade in the end zone. Instead, McDaniels called for a fade/stop, with Marshall selling the fade and stopping short. Orton threw it to him near the goal line, and Marshall used his leverage to pry away from a defender and score.

"It was a big win,'' Orton said, "but what I liked was we prepared like we'd prepare for any game, like it was any other week. Josh does a good job of that. They create a lot of problems for an offense, and we spent the whole week on that, not on any of the stuff surrounding the game. We put a plan together this week to try to beat New England, which is different from the other game plans we've had, and I'm sure this coming week will be different. That's the way we play, the way we prepare.''

I reminded Orton of his first game with Denver, when the city was apoplectic after he threw three first-half interceptions in a Broncos' preseason game at San Francisco. Joe Bronco was petrified that they'd gotten shafted in the trade with Chicago, and the franchise would never recover from losing Jay Cutler. Well, here we are five weeks into the season. Cutler's a 64-percent passer, averaging 225 yards a game, with a plus-three TD-to-interception differential and passer rating of 89.3. Orton: 63 percent, 247 yards a game, plus-six, 97.4 rating.

"I just thought about that this week,'' Orton said. "And I actually took that as a positive. I'm serious. There was a lot of doubt about me locally, but not from the coach. It was great to have a game like that and have the coach back me the way he did, with no reservations. That's the first time in my career that ever happened to me. I know my game. I'm not a turnover guy. Now I had a coach who knew I wasn't either.''

As long he's not a turnover guy -- Orton's first pick of the year came on a Hail Mary throw at the end of the first half Sunday -- the Broncos will be a contending offense.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0Ti375aHd
The Broncos are starting to open some eyes...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Yeah, it's looking more and more like we got a very sweet deal on the Chicago trade.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Oh and...Winner!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

This is gonna sound corny and all, but I found myself having to do a double take every once in a while. Watching some of the throws he was making, I'd check if that was still Orton in there. His passes looked great from his hand to their hands.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post

Oh and...Winner!!
jesus christ those uniforms are hideous
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
This is gonna sound corny and all, but I found myself having to do a double take every once in a while. Watching some of the throws he was making, I'd check if that was still Orton in there. His passes looked great from his hand to their hands.
Yeah, I think that glove messed him up a little. He had never worn a glove on his throwing hand up until that point, but now he has it off, and can get a better feel on the ball.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Darrius Harvey Bey has more names (3) than catches (2)

atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
jesus christ those uniforms are hideous
Yeah, they really are. Though strangely I kept craving peanut M&Ms the whole time I watched them in those.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yeah, it's looking more and more like we got a very sweet deal on the Chicago trade.
Especially when you consider that Ayers, a guy scouts said would take some time to learn playing as a pro, is already looking like a solid starter and having the extra 1st in '09 let us make a move for Alphonso Smith who looks like a very good nickel.

Smith and Jack Williams might not be the tallest CBs you can find, but they're both built like tanks and aren't afraid to mix it up with anyone. That goes a lot further than an inch or two of height.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Especially when you consider that Ayers, a guy scouts said would take some time to learn playing as a pro, is already looking like a solid starter and having the extra 1st in '09 let us make a move for Alphonso Smith who looks like a very good nickel.

Smith and Jack Williams might not be the tallest CBs you can find, but they're both built like tanks and aren't afraid to mix it up with anyone. That goes a lot further than an inch or two of height.
We could use some Tyrone Braxtons around here.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I can't believe we have to wear those more then once. How many times do we wear those hideous unis? Thank god we won or we for sure would hate them. Could you imagine being 0-5 and losing on national TV in those things 55-0. Man that would have sucked.

As it is I just ordered one. And the socks also.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Especially when you consider that Ayers, a guy scouts said would take some time to learn playing as a pro, is already looking like a solid starter.
Could you elaborate on that? I haven't really been watching him so I don't know how he's doing?
fontaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I can't believe we have to wear those more then once. How many times do we wear those hideous unis? Thank god we won or we for sure would hate them. Could you imagine being 0-5 and losing on national TV in those things 55-0. Man that would have sucked.

As it is I just ordered one. And the socks also.
We wont wear the exact same ones. It will be the away team versions. Meaning white instead of yellow. The brown will remain. Will look a little less comical.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Could you elaborate on that? I haven't really been watching him so I don't know how he's doing?
Just workman performances. He's solid in the run, filling his lanes fast and sealing them off. He's been a big help to Dumervil, who has gotten several sacks because Ayers prevents the QB from stepping up in the pocket.

My favorite aspect I've seen on the kid is he just never gives up. He's big, strong, and fast but all that aside, even when he gets stonewalled initially he just pushes and fights and doesn't let the OL dominate him and open gaps for the QB to escape or RBs to spring through.

He's still not great in coverage but he's getting there, and sooner or later those natural pass rush moves will show up. Looking like one hell of a good pick.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #15
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Love from Peter King....it's creepy.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

I don't trust King...he hasn't officially broken up with Favre yet. He might be on the rebound with MacD....chasing the younger stuff now.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

So when does the Invesco sponsorship run out?
I'm waiting for the return of good old Mile High Stadium.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM   #18
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I love how Orton just smiles when things go his way, like that crazy double deflection catch by Gaffney, Orton was just smiling, no crazy end zone dances or taunting just a big smile.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #19
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
I saw Orton play in Chicago. Never understood people thinking he had a weak arm. His biggest problem was innaccuracy on longer passes (they sailed a lot).

Actually, his arm strength is no different than Peyton or Brady's and nobody says their arms are weak either.

And speaking of "cannons" no one keeps praising Jamarcus or Stafford just because of that. And five or six other dudes who can shoot it up the field. Just sayin.'
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Love from Peter King....it's creepy.
The need to find love in the Media is creepy. I rather they leave the team alone. Last thing we need is for players to start believing press clippings, especially positive ones
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I love how Orton just smiles when things go his way, like that crazy double deflection catch by Gaffney, Orton was just smiling, no crazy end zone dances or taunting just a big smile.
I liked that a lot as well. He sees it for what it is, and makes nothing more of it (plus he is probably saying "better us than them").
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote