The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Defensive question

Well the D got tested today and i noticed pass coverage wasn't to hot can nolan make the adjustments or are we lacking in personel? welker was working the intermediate passes all day and fairly wide open everytime.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It really did seem to get better in the second half.

They showed the Brady fumble play and their receivers could've been wearing the Broncos unis - that's how well they were covered.

I don't know the problem but it was definitely horrible coverage early on.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

It looked to me like we were willing to give up a lot to avoid the big play. It's a risky strategy, but it worked out nicely. I'm convinced that our strategy is purely to just stay in games. Everything seems to point to a more balanced, conservative approach. Today felt like a game that last year... we would have started pressing and going air-crazy early, and risked getting further behind. Today, we stuck to the game plan... stayed composed and let the running and short passing game do what they do... move the ball and keep you in games.

Our defense really overcame some big hurdles courtesy of our special teams boo-boos. (Which we hadn't seen much of.)

There were so many points in this game where it looked like we were ready to get put away. Last year, we would have. But, this is a different philosophy... and it works.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Did anyone else notice once Light was injured, the stopped passing and just ran the ball? The one time I noticed them attempt to throw, brady was sacked and fumbled.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Hmmmm i guess brady didn't have a long throw today and held moss to one catch he is the deep threat.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

they moved champ around to cover welker in the 2nd half and finally started blitzing in the 4th quarter.

if you give any QB that kind of time, they'll pick you apart
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
they moved champ around to cover welker in the 2nd half and finally started blitzing in the 4th quarter.

It seemed like brady had time to make a ham sandwich before every pass there for awhile.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Did anyone else notice once Light was injured, the stopped passing and just ran the ball? The one time I noticed them attempt to throw, brady was sacked and fumbled.
Then when the Pat tried to pass they needed a TE on the left-side to help the rookie tackle out.

The defense twice (two f'n times) had the Pats done on 3rd down onlt to have the special team mistakes give the ball back to Brady and company.

But this defense isn't perfect (not really many have been in the History of the NFL)

It's clear to see that next year there will be some starters thi8s year playing as backups next year.

As far as Welker goes he's like a mosquito zip'n around the field and just when you think you swated him to the sideline the little bugger is back.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
It seemed like brady had time to make a ham sandwich before every pass there for awhile.
His O-line is bigger than the current Broncos line.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

I wonder what would have happened if the pats won the toss..
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
The same thing that happened when the Cowboys had the ball at the end of the game last week. You hold your breath but have confidence in the defense to do what needs to be done. And I genuinely believe if the Pats had won the toss, the D would have shut them down and we'd have won it on our first drive. The Broncos won the game on intelligence, intensity, and careful play. Those things begin to favor you more and more as the game wears on.
SouthCarolinaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Really what did they do the entire 4th?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

When you have Moss/Welker/Brady you almost are resigned to giving them some plays.

That's why Colts worry me so much.

Welker is tough to stop as are the pats on a whole.

I would say though that to win it all, Broncos have to get even better.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Definitely some blown assignments on defense out there today. We got lucky on some of them, with bad passes from Brady, which rarely happens. Welker was wide open down the seem there at the end and that could have been an easy TD with a good pass. And one of their early TD's was a result of Woodyard not knowing what kind of coverage it was, so he let the inside route go for an easy TD. I know it was cold but the tackling wasn't great at all in the first half. It did get better though in the 2nd half.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #15
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
When you have Moss/Welker/Brady you almost are resigned to giving them some plays.

That's why Colts worry me so much.

Welker is tough to stop as are the pats on a whole.

I would say though that to win it all, Broncos have to get even better.
the game @ the Colts is the one that worries me too. Manning has been a nemesis of the Broncos for 6 or 7 years now!!! if the Broncos do make the playoffs this year, and at 5-0 they are on their way there, another matchup against the Colts would be my worst case scenario. we'll know how "real" our D is after we play Sandy Eggo twice and the Colts once. i hope Nolan has been scheming for these games...
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #16
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

We held them to 0 points in the second half... I guess there's room for improvement...
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Well the D got tested today and i noticed pass coverage wasn't to hot can nolan make the adjustments or are we lacking in personel?
The Broncos have only given up 7 points in the second half all year.

How's that for an adjustment?
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #18
kent156
King of the Ants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

i notice this too halftime adjustments have been huge
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

upon rewatching the game... Did anyone notice the blaten trip by the Patriot LT on ayers. It happens on the Pats touchdown drive right before half time. Its a about the 2:00 mark. Ayers throws the LT aside and has a free path to Brady, then the douche throws his leg out while laying on his side to take out Ayers about the knees. Brady completes a big play to Faulk. What REALLY gets me is the a ref is about 2 yards from the play but he is to busy staring at Brady to make sure hes not harmed. TOTAL BS!

Last edited by bap454; 10-12-2009 at 06:26 AM..
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Well the D got tested today and i noticed pass coverage wasn't to hot can nolan make the adjustments or are we lacking in personel? welker was working the intermediate passes all day and fairly wide open everytime.
I saw that too, in the first half but I've noticed in almost every game that we make excellent second half adjustments. I love being a second half team.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #21
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Something the D is doing well is surrounding the QB on pass plays. They're keeping their assignments and making sure even if they don't get great pressure they're not allowing the QB to escape the pressure to where he has an open passing lane. Everybody is doing their best to keep to their assignments, sound fundamentals.

As for Welker or anybody else getting open sometimes, that's gonna happen. The object is to not panic if that happens, which it will a lot. The rules favor the passing O.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

They schemed very well. From where I sat with Montrose you can really see the play develop. On that Welker pass at the end where Brady missed they were able to get a formation where a LB ended up lining up on Welker.

New England had a good game plan. The created an unbalanced line which confused the defense at times as well. Thats usually when they got their best production.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #23
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Welker is just a great receiver and he is going to get open unless you double him and that opens the deep ball and the dagger to the heart. The Patriots put teams in a pick your poison position and we picked right and played great and got some awesome breaks....... Gotta love it when it works against great teams..........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

They sacrificed pressure to contain Moss and attempted to zone out Welker via strong underneath coverage.

It was actually very effective. The times Welker was hit was 90% not on his route, but coming back to the ball, or trying to break open 4+ seconds after the snap. Nolan was betting the front 3 could get to him, or provide the pressure to create poor throws.

It was effective enough for the win, and that's what counts. Also, a solid shutout in the 2nd half.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
They schemed very well. From where I sat with Montrose you can really see the play develop. On that Welker pass at the end where Brady missed they were able to get a formation where a LB ended up lining up on Welker.

New England had a good game plan. The created an unbalanced line which confused the defense at times as well. Thats usually when they got their best production.
You fans at the game got a little carried away when the O had the ball. I noticed Weigmann and Orton both had to wave their arms in the settle down motion in the 4th Q and OT. Or was it the NE fans raising hell
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote