The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Default WTF Nolan?!

Is this Nolan? Or Josh that told him how to run the D today? Why in the hell have we only blitzed twice by the half? The only two times we rushed more than 4, we burned them. We've run many 3-man rushes, and have been burned every single time.

WTF?!

Dominant defenses don't play passively. It's like they are channeling Slowik. They need to get back to what got them a 4-0 record. 3-man rushes is going to get us burned all day. I sure as hell hope they adjust at the half. This is stupidity. Why in the world would you give Brady time to complete passes?!
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Is this Nolan? Or Josh that told him how to run the D today? Why in the hell have we only blitzed twice by the half? The only two times we rushed more than 4, we burned them. We've run many 3-man rushes, and have been burned every single time.

WTF?!

Dominant defenses don't play passively. It's like they are channeling Slowik. They need to get back to what got them a 4-0 record. 3-man rushes is going to get us burned all day. I sure as hell hope they adjust at the half. This is stupidity. Why in the world would you give Brady time to complete passes?!
Seeing what their formations are doing and setting them up for a second half blitzkrieg. Only way we pull this game out it to pressure Brady.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

We had to lose sometime.....better today than next week I guess..

Pats O is burning us......
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
We had to lose sometime.....better today than next week I guess..

Pats O is burning us......
The Pats Oline is killing us. That is all.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

If they're gonna burn us sitting back I say let them burn us blitzing like a mother****er.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrElway View Post
The Pats Oline is killing us. That is all.
They get payed too. They would be the worst line in the league if they couldn't stop a three man rush.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
If they're gonna burn us sitting back I say let them burn us blitzing like a mother****er.
Yup. We're not going to win playing this way anyhow, so might as well throw the sink at them.
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Been strange.

Jets gave us the blueprint on how to stop Brady, and we've gone a different way entirely with it.

Still, if Moreno doesn't fumble and someone managed to tell Prater before the game that he needs to get it between the yellow posts then we're right in this game.

Just been poor all round so far I'm afraid.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Merlin
Ring of Famer

I love Nolan as a D coordinator. Not only because of his record thus far, but because of his record in the second half of games. For years I have hated watching our defense not adapt in the second half. This yr it is a given. After the first half I had little doubt NE would have a lot more trouble in the second half, and boy did they. Even when the STs decided to give Lady multiple chances, the D cambe back and shut him down. Nolan is easily the coach of the yr thus far.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

That was indeed strange. Brady never seemed to be off but he never seemed to be on either. I'm not entirely sure what we did to slow them down so well but it worked. It certainly wasn't a ton of creative blitzing but I'll take it whenever it gives a W.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

You are an idiot. You aren't smarter then Mike Nolan. Low an behold the defense played well didn't they.

Stop thinking you know so much and read some books on football. If you really want some suggestions pm me.

what was happening is NE was either spreading the field, or going max protect. In either case blitzing not smart. That's what they want you to do on those strategies.

Learn a little more about the game before you call out one of the best coaches in the NFL. It makes you look immature and foolish.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You are an idiot. You aren't smarter then Mike Nolan. Low an behold the defense played well didn't they.

Stop thinking you know so much and read some books on football. If you really want some suggestions pm me.

what was happening is NE was either spreading the field, or going max protect. In either case blitzing not smart. That's what they want you to do on those strategies.

Learn a little more about the game before you call out one of the best coaches in the NFL. It makes you look immature and foolish.
Exactly. Brady is excellent at eating teams' lunch when they blitz. Not to mention that NE was probably expecting us to blitz a bunch.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I love Nolan as a D coordinator. Not only because of his record thus far, but because of his record in the second half of games. For years I have hated watching our defense not adapt in the second half. This yr it is a given. After the first half I had little doubt NE would have a lot more trouble in the second half, and boy did they. Even when the STs decided to give Lady multiple chances, the D cambe back and shut him down. Nolan is easily the coach of the yr thus far.
Great point. How many points has the Denver D allowed in the second half so far? 10?
SouthCarolinaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Yeah McD mentioned that they tried to blitz but brady is so smart he adjusted the protection or threw away from it.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #15
Orange4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

No one is smarter than Mike Nolan. He is the Chuck Norris of defense!
Orange4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #16
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

I would love the have one of the X &O's guru explain Nolan's strategy. After the Superbowl game, I really thought the only way to really affect Brady was getting consistent pressure without blitzing. The Broncos really didn't pressure Brady much, but he never really looked comfortable and got more stymied in the second half.

In the second half, what adjustments did Nolan do, b/c I really don't remember the broncos blitzing more? With Light going down, did the Patriots become a lot more conservative in passing?
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
SouthCarolinaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Dixieland Denver Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus4444 View Post
Yeah McD mentioned that they tried to blitz but brady is so smart he adjusted the protection or threw away from it.
"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

The key is quick adaptation, and the D showed today that if an offense adapts to take advantage of its blitz packages, it can adapt right back and play coverage. The Broncos coaching staff makes the best halftime adjustments I have ever seen, and I have been watching football for a long time.
SouthCarolinaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange4Life View Post
No one is smarter than Mike Nolan. He is the Chuck Norris of defense!
Chuck Norris only cried once......When Mike Nolan punched him in the face.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Seriosuly though to teach the original poster a little something I will get serious.

When a team goes 3 TE, and you blitz and dont get there, you allow time for MOSS to get deep 1-1.

When a team spreads the field, and expect you to blitz, and you don't, you take away there quick pass the WR screens and force them to run routes against a really good dbackfield.

Also if you blitz a spread, with a QB like Brady, you make it easy for him.

You wait until you have the right down and distance and then send maybe one extra guy etc.

Anyone who expected the all out blitz has to realize our defense feel confident they can cover people. Often the all out blitzathon is more saying you don't think dbacks can hang.

Now against Rivers it could be different. I'm confident though our coaches will have a good idea of what Chargers will try to do and be ready for it.

IMO Pats were expecting a lot of blitzing today, had some big plays planned for it, but Nolan outsmarted them by playing coverage.