The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default In Denver, they're using the 'f' word to describe Kyle Orton

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7722060.column

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Nah, couldn't be. My hearing apparently is acting up.

I could have sworn Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley just referred to Kyle Orton as a franchise quarterback.

"I definitely think we've got a franchise quarterback," Stokley said.

The "f" word? Orton, a franchise quarterback? In Chicago, the term has been defined as a person with a cannon arm, a swagger and initials other than K.O. We've been told so often that Jay Cutler is a franchise quarterback we repeat it in our sleep.

"You don't have to have all the flash and the strongest arm in the world -- and Kyle does have a strong arm, by the way," Stokley said. "But you don't have to throw the ball 100 mph and do all these dynamic things with the ball. You just need to win games and get the job done. You can be a franchise quarterback that way."

Denver is looking at Orton differently than it did when he arrived in the blockbuster trade that sent Jay Cutler to the Bears. And Denver certainly is looking at Orton differently than many in Chicago did. What lots of people scoffed at in our town -- Orton as the dreaded "game manager" -- Denver is embracing.

He is more than a caretaker, but it's easier to make him out to be a one-dimensional stick figure.

"I guess that's another one of those perception things," he said after Friday's Broncos practice. "Once you get a label, you're not going to shake it.

"I guess some people would rather win and have the quarterback throw three interceptions and somehow do it flashy. I like to try not to put my defense in bad situations. I try to play complementary football."

He and the Broncos are 4-0. It's true they haven't beaten anybody great, and it's also true their road gets precipitously steeper Sunday when New England comes to town. But Orton is edging closer to being The Guy. He never has been that, even when he was the Bears' starting quarterback. Until this year, he had never gone into training camp as the undisputed starter.

"I loved Chicago, but I feel like I'm in a better situation, no question about it -- the talent around me, the system I'm in," he said. "This is a great offense I think I can thrive in, that I think is really suited well for me. You've got to think, you've got to handle the operation correctly and then you've got to be accurate.

"I think I can do all those things well."

One thing he does particularly well is win. He said he doesn't keep track of any of his stats, save one: He is 17-2 as a starter at home. That .895 winning percentage is the best by an NFL quarterback with a minimum of 15 starts since the 1970 merger.

"I'm proud of the fact that I've won as many games as I have," he said. "I'm not saying it's just me winning those games, but winning is the goal. Somehow I've been able to accomplish that more often than not."

It's time to give Orton some props. He is 25-12 as a starter. He was rolling along for the Bears last year when he hurt his ankle, came back too early and struggled through a 4-3 second half.

It's not coincidence his teams tend to win. There are a lot of mediocre quarterbacks who can help their teams lose. The teams that win consistently in the NFL are getting, if not great play from their quarterbacks, then at least very smart play. Orton is smart. He has yet to throw an interception in Denver's surprising start, and his passer rating is 97.7.

"The way I evaluate quarterbacks is wins, production, taking care of the football, helping your team do what it needs to do on a regular basis," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "We've won four games, and Kyle's taken care of the football very well throughout those games."

The Broncos' defense has been great, allowing 26 points in four games. The offense has been good enough. Orton's longest completion was a tipped, 87-yarder to Stokley in the final seconds to beat the Bengals in the opener.

That play is Exhibit A for people who don't believe the Broncos are for real.

"Hey, games in this league come down to the last two minutes," Orton said. "If you can make plays in those situations and score points and hold people, you can win. We won a lot of crazy ways in Chicago. That's the league."

Orton lives four blocks from his good friend Brian Griese, a former Broncos and Bears quarterback. Griese has offered Orton advice, but their situations with the Broncos are different. Griese replaced John Elway, which is to say that he didn't replace Elway, because nobody could.

Orton was replacing Cutler, a physically talented quarterback who demanded to be traded after a nasty, public falling out with McDaniels. Although there were raised eyebrows about Orton's relative abilities, a lot of Broncos fans were happy to be rid of an unhappy Cutler.

Orton has made his own way. He has played with an injured finger suffered in an exhibition game against the Bears. Teammates are impressed by how hard he works, both in practice and in the film room. They elected him one of the captains.

He becomes a free agent after the season. His preference would be to stay in Denver. Actually, his preference would be to get a new contract done during the season.

"I know I'm playing good football right now, and I know how much I like it here," he said. "I just totally believe that I'm going to be successful with this coach and with this system and with these players around me. Hopefully, (a new contract) happens sooner than later."(Go Denver's comment) ME TOO KYLE ME TOO!

Rather than label Orton a franchise quarterback or a game manager, perhaps we can agree he might have found the perfect place for himself. The Broncos appreciate his skills and his smarts.

The Bears appreciate Cutler's abilities. There are different ways to do the same thing.

"I wish Jay the best of luck," Orton said. "I'm happy I'm here."
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I don't know why that video isn't playing here. It works fine if you follow the link.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
CEH
Ring of Famer

"You don't have to have all the flash and the strongest arm in the world -- and Kyle does have a strong arm, by the way," Stokley said. "But you don't have to throw the ball 100 mph and do all these dynamic things with the ball. You just need to win games and get the job done. You can be a franchise quarterback that way."
-----

Wow that might be the most damning attack yet on Cutler by a Denver Bronco.
Good for them. They are rallying around Orton. Doesn't really matter what the media or fans think. It's about the 53 guys inside Dove Valley
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

As long as he keeps winning i won't care how bad he looks while doing it, just get it done!
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Uh.. I'd wait to write him a 15 million dollar contract. He has played 4 games. And although we are unbeaten, it as as much (yea.. ok, moreso) the defense than the offense to this point. Just because he doesn't have any ints doesn't mean he shouldn't. He had more than one in-and-out of the hands throws that should have been picks but weren't, so it's not like he is actually throwing perfect balls, we all know he isn't.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I've heard people calling him...F'kn Orton too
So that's nothing new...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Uh.. I'd wait to write him a 15 million dollar contract.
Who said anything about a $15 million contract?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Uh.. I'd wait to write him a 15 million dollar contract. He has played 4 games. And although we are unbeaten, it as as much (yea.. ok, moreso) the defense than the offense to this point. Just because he doesn't have any ints doesn't mean he shouldn't. He had more than one in-and-out of the hands throws that should have been picks but weren't, so it's not like he is actually throwing perfect balls, we all know he isn't.
At least we have a defense this year and a special teams and a superstar WR that decided to show up last week. Not to mention Orton's injured throwing and gloved hand.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'm totally sold on the defense, and it looks like they'll carry the team throughout the season. But by my count, against quality opponents (Cinncy and Dallas), the offense has driven across the 50 four times. Now the number is six times when counting the tipped ball to Stokely and Marshall juking the Cowboys secondary.

I will say that I like that Orton has not turned the ball over, which I like a lot, so he has not gotten in the defenses way. But I'd say that a QB needs to do a little more than just not turn the ball over. The team can't rely on miracle plays week in week out. I'm not saying that they need to put up 30 points per game to win. But the offense, namely the passing game because the running game is doing very well, needs to be more productive.

This team looks like it can do some great things this year. The passing game needs to be more productive.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
for a starting QB w/ solid numbers these days, $15 mil is pretty damn cheap...
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Have you guys ever heard the saying that goes like this...
"It takes your enemies to see your defects" or something like that
The bottom line is, Orton has major flaws in his game
Fortunately for him, winning has not only kept him off the hook, but has people now talking as a franchise QB?
I respect Stokley's opinion and all, but a lot of people don't see Orton as such

McDaniels has a lot more to do with managing the game thru Orton, than Orton managing the game by himself
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Sign him during the bye week and do Doom, Kup and Bmarsh while your at it.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
I'm totally sold on the defense, and it looks like they'll carry the team throughout the season. But by my count, against quality opponents (Cinncy and Dallas), the offense has driven across the 50 four times. Now the number is six times when counting the tipped ball to Stokely and Marshall juking the Cowboys secondary.

I will say that I like that Orton has not turned the ball over, which I like a lot, so he has not gotten in the defenses way. But I'd say that a QB needs to do a little more than just not turn the ball over. The team can't rely on miracle plays week in week out. I'm not saying that they need to put up 30 points per game to win. But the offense, namely the passing game because the running game is doing very well, needs to be more productive.
Better to use your "hope" on Orton and his clicking into the O cause we are going to need him. The D is an injury or two away from average.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post
McDaniels has a lot more to do with managing the game thru Orton, than Orton managing the game by himself
I agree with this. People toss the phrase "he's managing the game" around all the time. But how is Orton managing the game?

When I think of a QB managing the game I think of a QB that's being efficient. A QB with a high completion percentage, who plays it safe and lets the defense and running game win the game. He puts the offense in a position to pick up easy first downs and keep drives alive.

Well I don't think Orton is doing that. I wouldn't call him efficient. He's completed 59% of his passes. That's not bad, but it's certainly not very good. And the Broncos are only 36% on third downs, which is 18th in the league.

Again, I like that Orton is not throwing picks, but at some point he's going to have to be more productive. He doesn't have to be like Manning or Rivers, but just more productive.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 10-11-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Drek is gonna love this thread.

I hope we don't ask too much of him, we're winning with defense, let's keep that up and not press for big passing numbers.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Orton needs to win on third down to keep us in the game today--until he lifts our 3rd down conversion %--he is going to be the rate limiting factor on our football team ALL SEASON.......we could certainly do with a lot fewer 3rd & 15's too O LINE! GO BRONCOS!
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #17
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post

I hope we don't ask too much of him, we're winning with defense, let's keep that up and not press for big passing numbers.
Orton is going to have a break out game soon. I think it could be today.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #18
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

You know--I am watching steve smith of the Giants and wondering why Eddie Royal is not being used like him...........(3rd down catch on a short crossing route on 3rd & 5.)
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post

Nobody is asking Orton to put up big passing numbers. He just needs to make a few more plays here and there to keep drives alive. He just needs to be more productive so the offense doesn't stall as much.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

They are just being nice there is no way in hell orton is a franchise QB maybe in canada but not here.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
They are just being nice there is no way in hell orton is a franchise QB maybe in canada but not here.
UFL.............maybe.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
KS Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steven Johnson

just like to throw this out:
one reason (not the only reason) why our defense is doing so well is because our offense isnt putting them in horrible situations, ie turnovers on our own 30yd line. orton truly has helped our defense, thus our team, by taking care of the ball!
KS Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
-----

Wow that might be the most damning attack yet on Cutler by a Denver Bronco.
Good for them. They are rallying around Orton. Doesn't really matter what the media or fans think. It's about the 53 guys inside Dove Valley
these players finally have a true leader at the QB position. Jay always struck me as a spoiled child more than a leader. His attitude seemed like something out of the Griese handbook.

the players will rally around and love Orton the way they did Plummer. you don't need all the athletic talent in the world for your team to follow you and love you as their leader. The team just needs to see a guy who will deal with all the **** he gets, goes out and gives all he has every single day, and acts like he is a part of the team as opposed to believing you are better or more than just part of the team.

Cutler always had the attitude that he was too good for his team and most players don't like or respond well to that. Orton came in and made himself part of the team, someone the rest of the players see as one of their own.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #24
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Bronco View Post
just like to throw this out:
one reason (not the only reason) why our defense is doing so well is because our offense isnt putting them in horrible situations, ie turnovers on our own 30yd line. orton truly has helped our defense, thus our team, by taking care of the ball!
Moreno's fumble in the 2nd half against Dallas---Bucks fumble against Oakland inside our 20--the difference?--this D doesn't wilt...........
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

that's going way too far. he is not a franchise QB.
he's a very good game manager and he wins because he doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
but calling him a franchise QB is like saying Grossman,Collins or Dilfer were when they led their teams to SB runs.

we can definitely win with him, but using the F word on him is ridiculous.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote