The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
meangene
Ring of Famer

Default Kizla: Time to embrace Orton as one of us

mark kiszla
Kiszla: Time to embrace Orton as one of us
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/11/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Kyle Orton (Denver Post file photo)

Let's keep it real. You will never, ever get closer to a supermodel named Gisele than the pages of an old Victoria's Secret catalog or look sexy wearing a milk mustache or be as cool as NFL stud Tom Brady.

But, one of these years, you might bump into Kyle Orton at the Colorado State Fair and actually have a shot at knocking over more milk bottles on the carnival midway than he can topple.

The Broncos quarterback with the bent noodle for an arm is one of us.

Orton is a regular guy with a bad haircut. His favorite jokes are the ones he cracks on himself. He toasts life's victories with Jack and Coke.

So it beats me. I don't understand it.

Why have Broncomaniacs been so slow to embrace Orton?

He is the anti-Brady.

Or as Orton once explained in my favorite quote from him since he hit town: "This ain't a game where it's always gonna be pretty."

Brady has ascended to the status of NFL legend at age 32. He wins Super Bowl rings and poses for magazine photo shoots while wearing a wet T-shirt. Refs treat him like a Faberge egg.

Orton is the quarterback from down the block, and the last time anybody noticed anything about his T-shirt, it was probably a mustard stain. His roots in the heartland run deeper than a whole field of Iowa corn.

If that's not enough for you to cheer for Orton when the Broncos play New England, then there's something wrong.

But what you wanna bet that when the Patriots take the field in Denver, there will be more fans in the stadium wearing Brady jerseys than the No. 8 of Orton?

In my book, the list of franchise quarterbacks in the NFL begins with Peyton Manning, ends with Brady and the only other name worth mentioning in the same breath is Ben Roethlisberger. It's not Orton's fault that Jay Cutler told the Broncos to take the QB job and shove it on the dark side of Mount Evans.

After managing to win the four games he has started for Denver, Orton owns a higher passer rating than Philip Rivers or Tony Romo, yet Orton still gets bashed on fan websites dedicated to the team, such as milehighreport.com, where a review fresh off Denver's win against Dallas griped: "Right now, I feel like I'm watching a time bomb. No picks yet, but a five-interception game is right around the corner. . . . Bottom line is I don't trust him."

Crafting a 25-12 record as an NFL quarterback doesn't really count for Orton in the eyes of many Broncomaniacs, because a gunslinging Cutler could inspire fantasies of John Elway, while "game manager" brings back bad memories of Brian Griese.

Did the Broncos have to pick today to break out the vertically striped socks and bring back a worse look from the 1960s than shag carpet? Was it really necessary to dress up Orton in retro colors inspired by a brown trout?

The Denver quarterback isn't naive. Orton already knows he will never appear as dashing in a uniform as Brady, who is so GQ handsome that NFL rule-makers are constantly researching and developing new penalties to keep him from getting bruised.

We all see the differences. Brady is headed for the Hall of Fame without a doubt. Landing a long-term contract with the Broncos would be a dream for Orton.

But in a football city as sophisticated as Denver, isn't it about time we stop judging quarterbacks on style points?

Lose to the Patriots, and the Orton-bashers
will cite it as solid proof Denver can never, ever win another Super Bowl without an elite QB.

Despite the fact his career record against the Broncos is 1-5, including a 100-yard interception that cost New England a playoff victory, Brady will always be regarded as a winner in Colorado.

Maybe Broncomaniacs need to ask themselves:

Is this a football game or a beauty contest?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good article with some great quotes. Orton kind of embodies the overachiever, blue collar ethic of this team.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Orton didn't create the situation that swirls around him he just comes in and does his job with an injured and gloved throwing hand. The crtiticism continues because he was the unlucky QB to "replace" the so called "franchise" Cutler.

I'm an Orton supporter from the beginning when this whole thing started with the childish antics of the Broncos "franchise" QB. After getting his way and being sent to his current team it's easy for me to support Orton after all the timely interceptions and fumbles the "franchise" QB put the franchise and fanbase through.

Go Orton and Broncos beat the Pats.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #3
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

the difference between Griese and Orton is one wins games and leads the team...the other would fold like a cheap lawn chair and couldn't lead a starving mob to a Golden Corral buffet
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

I think the point about Griese is pretty accurate. I know for me that is probably the biggest reason he hasn't won me over. He reminds me of Griese...

I will however happily eat crow if he keeps getting better....
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

So nice of you to start supporting the entire team Mr. Kizla.

Yes you may board the bandwagon. We will be making stops and taking on new fans at anytime during the season, September thru December.

However, If things suddenly turn and you want off, we ain't stopping so you'll have to jump and roll. Got that mother ****er?

Welcome aboard.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
backup qb
Ring of Famer

While I fully support the team, I am not buying into Orton after 4 weeks. Disclaimer-as a fan, I hope I am wrong and he completely wins me over. However, I am still very skeptical.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
backup qb
Ring of Famer

BTW-closin in on 1000 posts! Only taken 6 years.....
Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Orton is good enough to win... against the Dallas, Oakland and Cleveland teams in the NFL. Is he good enough to win against the Patriots? Even though we have traditionally owned them, they stomped us last year about this time.

I agree with the OP on this detail - the NFL has become too much about celebrity. That's something that neither Orton or Cutler have done well with. But filtering that issue out, the question remains is a conservative offense, or a attacking offense more appropriate?

Can Orton step on the gas pedal? So far the offense has lacked rhythm and missed obvious plays. But they also have been extraordinarily conservative and protected the ball, and let the defense dominate by eating clock time.

I don't have the answer to these questions, but if Orton wins today, and it is his game to win, then we can safely say he is good enough. At least until the 2005's conservative game manager - Jake Plummer - gives way to 2006's disastrous interception machine - Jake Plummer.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Orton is sweet.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Orton could easily have a better career than jay Cutler.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
chex
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Who cares how he wins? He just does. Wins get you into the playoffs.

'You'd rather look pretty and lose, than look ugly and win'
chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Orton is good enough to win... against the Dallas, Oakland and Cleveland teams in the NFL. Is he good enough to win against the Patriots? Even though we have traditionally owned them, they stomped us last year about this time.

I agree with the OP on this detail - the NFL has become too much about celebrity. That's something that neither Orton or Cutler have done well with. But filtering that issue out, the question remains is a conservative offense, or a attacking offense more appropriate?

Can Orton step on the gas pedal? So far the offense has lacked rhythm and missed obvious plays. But they also have been extraordinarily conservative and protected the ball, and let the defense dominate by eating clock time.

I don't have the answer to these questions, but if Orton wins today, and it is his game to win, then we can safely say he is good enough. At least until the 2005's conservative game manager - Jake Plummer - gives way to 2006's disastrous interception machine - Jake Plummer.
Can you please bold the parts that were sarcasm for us again?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post
While I fully support the team, I am not buying into Orton after 4 weeks. Disclaimer-as a fan, I hope I am wrong and he completely wins me over. However, I am still very skeptical.
Very fair. I personally have no problem with the skepticism. I have some myself. What I do have a problem with are the people who aren't supporting him and/or rooting for him. That's just stupid.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
mark kiszla
Kiszla: Time to embrace Orton as one of us

He toasts life's victories with Jack and Coke.
If that's true, I'm officially off the Orton bandwagon. Why would anybody ruin a perfectly good drink like Jack Daniel's by putting coke in it. Just add ice and you're good.

Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
yerner
Ring of Famer

His game blows bu I have found myself less critical of him after watching his post game press conferences. He really makes a good impression there. He appears likable and humble. These clips have really started to change my opinion.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
backup qb
Ring of Famer

[QUOTE=chex;2591806]Who cares how he wins? He just does. Wins get you into the playoffs.

Wins may get you into the playoffs and Orton may be capable of that. However, PLAYMAKERS win super bowls. Please don't bring up Dilfer. He played with artguably the greatest D ever. He was the anomaly. It takes Mannings, Big Ben, Bradys, etc to win Super Bowls. That is my concern. Can Orton bring us back when down 10 in the 4th? Can he win the 35-31 game? Only time will tell. I will remain skeptical, but also hopeful.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chex View Post
Who cares how he wins? He just does. Wins get you into the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backup qb View Post

Wins may get you into the playoffs and Orton may be capable of that. However, PLAYMAKERS win super bowls. Please don't bring up Dilfer. He played with artguably the greatest D ever. He was the anomaly. It takes Mannings, Big Ben, Bradys, etc to win Super Bowls. That is my concern. Can Orton bring us back when down 10 in the 4th? Can he win the 35-31 game? Only time will tell. I will remain skeptical, but also hopeful.
I agree. If this Broncos D turns out to be on the level of the '00 Ravens, then Orton can get it done. But lets not get carried away. I'm loving the D, but they won't hold teams to under a touchdown per game for the entire season.

Orton doesn't need to be like Peyton Manning, who lights the scoreboard up by passing. But if he could be like Ben and Brady, meaning limiting the turnovers while making key plays, then it could work. At this point I'd say he's limiting the turnovers (zero), but he isn't making key plays.

The first Super Bowl that Ben won with the Steelers, the Steelers led the league in rushing attempts and were 32nd in passing attempts. But when the Steelers did pass the ball Ben made the plays. He kept drives alive. The defense and running game played great, and when they needed Ben to pick up the slack he did. The Broncos are going to need Orton to do that if they really want to make a run at it all.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 10-11-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

One point about Orton needing to make plays like a Tom Brady. I'm not saying that he needs to be as good as Tom Brady. I don't need anybody jumping on my back for that one. But Brady when he simply "managed" the game, like Ben did when the Steelers won, was totally different from the Brady who set those single season passing records in '07. When Brady just managed the game they won the Super Bowl. When Brady and the '07 Pats turned into the '99 Rams and passed the ball all over the place and set records, they got beat (only had to happen once). The '07 Giants pretty much played the role of the '01 Pats, who played great D and got enough plays from their QB to beat the '01 Rams in the Super Bowl.

Orton just needs to make more plays. Not miracle plays (which are nice), but plays to keep drives alive.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #19
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Very fair. I personally have no problem with the skepticism. I have some myself. What I do have a problem with are the people who aren't supporting him and/or rooting for him. That's just stupid.
Who doesn't root for him? I doubt that their is any Broncos fan on this site who doesn't realize that the Broncos offense goes as Orton goes...........his stats say one thing--my eyes and game recollections tell another story...........

5TD passes:

- 1TD on a deflected pass in week 1
-a pass that easily could have been knocked down or intercepted by Anthony Spencer of Dallas
-a 51 yard catch and run by Marshall who was able to use his sheer height advantage to out leap Newman who otherwise had great coverage--

Better to be lucky than good sometimes, but.............
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
the difference between Griese and Orton is one wins games and leads the team...the other would fold like a cheap lawn chair and couldn't lead a starving mob to a Golden Corral buffet
So who's who?
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
Orange_Beard
Over Jay Cutler

Todd Snider Rules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Scheffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in McLA View Post
One point about Orton needing to make plays like a Tom Brady. I'm not saying that he needs to be as good as Tom Brady. I don't need anybody jumping on my back for that one. But Brady when he simply "managed" the game, like Ben did when the Steelers won, was totally different from the Brady who set those single season passing records in '07. When Brady just managed the game they won the Super Bowl. When Brady and the '07 Pats turned into the '99 Rams and passed the ball all over the place and set records, they got beat (only had to happen once). The '07 Giants pretty much played the role of the '01 Pats, who played great D and got enough plays from their QB to beat the '01 Rams in the Super Bowl.

Orton just needs to make more plays. Not miracle plays (which are nice), but plays to keep drives alive.
I agree.
Orange_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Beard View Post
So who's who?
is this a trick question?
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Can you please bold the parts that were sarcasm for us again?
!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
meangene
Ring of Famer

The whole offense is learning a new, very complicated system and many of the struggles can not be attributed to Orton - penalties, dropped passes, etc. Marshall, who is our big-play WR has been late to the dance, there has been some miscommunication with receivers, the OL is learning a partially new system. Orton has been smart enough to be very careful with the ball, understanding the game situations and the way our defense has been playing. He has been almost overly cautious at times but I'm not sure that is a bad thing at this point in the offense's development. I expect you will see more big plays as the season progresses and the offense gels. I also think you will see him taking a few more chances when we are in situations where we need to. For now, the guy clearly has a tremendous understanding of the game and it is no coincidence his winning percentage is what it is.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoor View Post
I think the point about Griese is pretty accurate. I know for me that is probably the biggest reason he hasn't won me over. He reminds me of Griese...

I will however happily eat crow if he keeps getting better....
I'm sure the reason they referenced Griese was because he was a game manager type QB. Nobody sees Orton as a big armed QB...and because of his lack of cannon, it somehow unfairly downgrades his rep as a guy who wins games.

Orton's arm is stronger if it isn't as accurate as Brian's....and he's got a bit of never say die attitude/fire in him.....and that alone seperates him from the gutless wonder.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote