The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Champ comments on McD

Someone said this was threadworthy. So here it is.

"I tell you what, just being under Josh McDaniels for a few months now, I mean he's a guy that is going to have you as prepared as you can be for a game, and that's something that throughout my 11 years I haven't had a lot of," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "I've had some great coaches, including [Mike] Shanahan, but [McDaniels] is definitely one-of-a-kind in the way that he approaches the game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...dam&id=4543184
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I heard this somewhere.......
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

SoCal told me the same thing
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post

"I tell you what, just being under Josh McDaniels for a few months now, I mean he's a guy that is going to have you as prepared as you can be for a game, and that's something that throughout my 11 years I haven't had a lot of," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "I've had some great coaches, including [Mike] Shanahan, but [McDaniels] is definitely one-of-a-kind in the way that he approaches the game."

That is one hell of an incriminating statement coming from Champ.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

He's almost saying McD > Shanahan, isn't he? Maybe even more than almost?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Has he been seen or heard from since we hit 2-0?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Nice ... players always nice things about their current coaches, but that was beyond a normal compliment. It's pretty clear Josh is an excellent game day motivator.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Not so much as an X's and O's coach, but definitely as a motivator. That was a cut at Mike ... he probably didn't intend as such, but it was nonetheless.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
Nice ... players always nice things about their current coaches, but that was beyond a normal compliment. It's pretty clear Josh is an excellent game day motivator.
I think the complement was addressing more the level of preparedness.

The quote also served to point out a short coming of Mike Shanahan that explains alot about the Broncos play for the last several seasons.

What changed most this season - - - the players have bought into Josh McD and his approach toward the game. A clear sign of great coaching.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

BroncoBuff, did you read the article? It has nothing to do with motivating. It's all about coaching and having the players prepared.

Re-read it.

Quote:
and then this quote also from Champ.

Quote:
“When you get in situations like that, you have to be prepared, and obviously [McDaniels] puts us through those situations in practice in close situations,” Bailey said. “Everybody knows what’s going to happen, what we expect from each other on the field when we get in certain situations. Fourth-and-goal, we know what plays are going to be called. I think that preparation helps us overcome the close games and helps us come out on top because we know what to expect when it gets close like that.”
It's not like he said "McDaniels fires us up with great speeches so we are really motivated to play," or "McDaniels gives us an extra day off if we win, so we try a bit harder than normal." He's saying that McDaniels breaks down each game by explaining how the team can be beaten and then clearly explains to each player what they specifically each need to do to win the game. It's about clearly defined roles so each player's job is simple and each player can go 100% because they are confident in what they're doing.

It's good coaching.

Last edited by Kaylore; 10-10-2009 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's all about coaching and having the players prepared.
Yes, and this team hit the field unprepared too many times over the last few seasons. Many examples could be cited, the most obvious being that debacle in Detroit in '07. This is one of the huge benefits of having a hungry, young coach with no laurels to rest on. This team won't win every game but will always be prepared. No blowouts to bad teams with this staff.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

How many times after getting destroyed did we see Shanahan up there at the podium say "I didn't have this team ready to play, and that's on me." Or some other such comment. Seems like we had at least two games a season for the past three seasons where we had to listen to that after beating embarrassed.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
Not so much as an X's and O's coach, but definitely as a motivator. That was a cut at Mike ... he probably didn't intend as such, but it was nonetheless.

no sir...not the case...

that wasn't about motivating (although i'd imagine McD is pretty good at that too)...this was about preparations and indeed the Xs and Os...

McDaniels approaches the game like his mentor BB...so his approach is thorough and probably pretty darn accurate...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Champ came here with Shanahan telling him he would have opportunities to win, and he has suffered through mediocrity the majority of the time he has been here. Shanahan didn't follow through on what he sold to Champ. is it really surprising the Champ likes the coach who is fielding a competitive team as opposed to the coach that fielded mediocrity?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Some people are just too "right" to be called "wrong". Crow meat is not the most tasty or tender of culinary delights. It is too bad that some cannot just flat out enjoy the times.

I don't know how many games the Broncos will win this year, but I am absolutely certain that there will be more than a few championships on the horizon. Shanahan is passe. McD is Golden. And good for us Broncos fans. .....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Champ came here with Shanahan telling him he would have opportunities to win, and he has suffered through mediocrity the majority of the time he has been here. Shanahan didn't follow through on what he sold to Champ. is it really surprising the Champ likes the coach who is fielding a competitive team as opposed to the coach that fielded mediocrity?
I'm glad that Champ is finally getting to play with a great Defense and he's getting some help. But lets be serious here, Champ is positioning himself to ensure he gets the $15 million dollars he under contract to make as well. So why not butter up your new HC!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
But lets be serious here, Champ is positioning himself to ensure he gets the $15 million dollars he under contract to make as well.
I think what Champ does on the field will speak louder than what he says off it.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
I think what Champ does on the field will speak louder than what he says off it.
And I think that rastaman likes watching the ticker on espn when they announce players signing new contracts more than he likes watching the games.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

So Champ is saying: IF we get to week 14 of the season, AND we are preparing for a 4pm game WITH a 3 game lead in the AFC West over the Chargers ...
We WON'T be sitting around in the locker room watching the Chargers @ Chefs 1pm game on TV??
Glad to hear it!

(Sorry I had to get that off my chest! )
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I'm not too surprised hearing this from a defensive player, Shanny consistently coached defense by deference to his coordinator. As far back as the Super Bowl win over GB, with the late lead and being questioned by his D-coord he says "whatever you would normally do?"...pressed with "lots of pressure"...again "whatever you would normally do".

He just didn't really coach the defense, so hearing Champ say this isn't all that surprising. Hearing that McDaniels prepares his defense better than Coyer, Bates, or Slowick is also not a surprise.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
I'm glad that Champ is finally getting to play with a great Defense and he's getting some help. But lets be serious here, Champ is positioning himself to ensure he gets the $15 million dollars he under contract to make as well. So why not butter up your new HC!
truthfully, i believe 1 of 2 things will happen with Champ. either he signs a new long term deal that restructures the 15million he is owed next year, or we trade him. no other options.

this season will be a big determining factor in whether or not he will want to re-sign him long term. if we do well and he sees and believes we are a legit competitor for a super bowl he will sign and stay, if he thinks we are not anywhere near ready to compete he will stand on the 15million he is owed and probably welcome a trade.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #24
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
So Champ is saying: IF we get to week 14 of the season, AND we are preparing for a 4pm game WITH a 3 game lead in the AFC West over the Chargers ...
We WON'T be sitting around in the locker room watching the Chargers @ Chefs 1pm game on TV??
Glad to hear it!

(Sorry I had to get that off my chest! )
i wanted someone to punch Shanahan in the face when I heard he allowed them to watch that game prior to playing their own important game.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #25
anon
Seasoned Veteran

I think McD is a great coach so far but I would take anything Champ says about any coach with more than a few grains of salt. This guy is a dispenser for politically correct quotes -- not that there is anything wrong with that, to me, it's another sign of his professionalism. Didn't he call Slowick the best coach he's ever had?
anon is offline   Reply With Quote