The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Nice B-Marsh Quote

So - stole this from Bronco Mania, but it's pretty revealing. Supposedly a snippet from an NFL Gameday interview that will air this weekend.

Quote:
"The second game of the season at halftime everyone left (the locker room), getting ready to go back out there and I stayed and I sat in my locker, put my head down with a towel over my head. I thought I was the only one in there and I broke down (in tears). I heard a voice and it was Brian Dawkins. He tapped me four times on my back…he said ‘Come on baby.’ And once I heard that, it’s like my teammates are with me…I’m going to get through this. And I think everything is on track, we’re on track. It’s exciting to be a Bronco."
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=153129

I believe the 2nd quarter in Cleveland was where he pretty much sat out the entire quarter. Nice work by Dawkins.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

At two million dollars+ per, he still needs to feel "appreciated".........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

So I guess Dawk is using baby as in honey, not is in crybaby. Heh.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Though I think Marshall is a bit of a head case in this regard, I disagree that it's just money he wants. I truly think he has a deep need to feel appreciated and to be a superstar. Hopefully he can channel that energy the right way, because we have all seen the results when he does.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
So I guess Dawk is using baby as in honey, not is in crybaby. Heh.
haha. i thought the same at first.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
Though I think Marshall is a bit of a head case in this regard, I disagree that it's just money he wants. I truly think he has a deep need to feel appreciated and to be a superstar. Hopefully he can channel that energy the right way, because we have all seen the results when he does.
Isn't that what its all about though?

I mean he's got millions, and I haven't heard any crazy stories about Pacman or Vick levels of largess from him. He's probably pretty well off for life already.

He has the same thing that Chad Johnson has, that need to prove himself an elite player and to have it validated. That is what makes a great player, that constant hunger. Jerry Rice had it and its why he was an elite WR well into his 30's.

The key for Marshall is to not get further down (or even as far down) the flavor clown path than Chad Johnson. He needs to take the Shannon Sharpe route. Showboat some if you want, talk ****, boast, but don't let it cross the line into game situations.

Last week Chad Johnson had to be physically restrained multiple times from taunting Browns fans in Cleveland last week. He's like a starving dog after a bone when its time to celebrate, and he stops being a rational person. Marshall needs to learn that the long term fame and adulation will come when he builds the kind of career that Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith had. Years of being a productive winner.

Johnson is going to finish his career with some impressive numbers, but I doubt he ever wins a title or even makes a SB appearance. He'll struggle to make the HOF as a result. Reggie Wayne's great play is like some revelation to ESPN this season now that Harrison is gone, but he's probably going into the HOF if he keeps at his current levels for just a few more years.

Pro-Bowlers are forgotten, Champions are beloved forever, someone needs to tell Marshall that.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
TheDave
Sauced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbronco View Post
haha. I thought the same at first.
Same here... I thought oh **** this isn't going to go well.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I agree with you... Although, I believe his agent (or someone else) convinced him that he was severely underpaid, and then Marshall became emotional about it. After looking back on the last few years, I truly don't believe he's a terrible guy (although, he's clearly done some bad things). I think he's an emotional basket-case. He is completely and 100% unable to control his feelings.

What makes me sad about this is that I don't think that's something he can change. I think he will always be battling this, and that giving him a big contract won't fix it. Meaning - as much as I like watching him on the field, at this point, I am rooting that he has a great year, and then we trade him for some serious compensation. I just think he's too much of a risk.

Again - this is not to say that I think he is not valuable to this team. We are clearly better when he is playing well. Nor do I think that he is an awful guy. I just think he can't control his emotions, and that it will eventually bite him in the ass, perhaps on the fields, perhaps off it.
outdoor_miner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

The other thing that struck me once again this week, now that Marshall is back in the media (interviewed on Playbook), is how football-smart he seems to be. It's a sign of intelligence and understanding when you can explain something well, and every time I've seen Marshall do that he communicates extremely well. He has explained plays on Denver Broncos Live last year and now again this week on NFLN. He is far from stupid (recent poll on the Mane: Is Marshall smart enough for this offense?).

I have been convinced all offseason despite the drama that Marshall can and will be a top wideout in this league.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Isn't that what its all about though?

I mean he's got millions, and I haven't heard any crazy stories about Pacman or Vick levels of largess from him. He's probably pretty well off for life already.

He has the same thing that Chad Johnson has, that need to prove himself an elite player and to have it validated. That is what makes a great player, that constant hunger. Jerry Rice had it and its why he was an elite WR well into his 30's.

The key for Marshall is to not get further down (or even as far down) the flavor clown path than Chad Johnson. He needs to take the Shannon Sharpe route. Showboat some if you want, talk ****, boast, but don't let it cross the line into game situations.

Last week Chad Johnson had to be physically restrained multiple times from taunting Browns fans in Cleveland last week. He's like a starving dog after a bone when its time to celebrate, and he stops being a rational person. Marshall needs to learn that the long term fame and adulation will come when he builds the kind of career that Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith had. Years of being a productive winner.

Johnson is going to finish his career with some impressive numbers, but I doubt he ever wins a title or even makes a SB appearance. He'll struggle to make the HOF as a result. Reggie Wayne's great play is like some revelation to ESPN this season now that Harrison is gone, but he's probably going into the HOF if he keeps at his current levels for just a few more years.

Pro-Bowlers are forgotten, Champions are beloved forever, someone needs to tell Marshall that.
He has been fortunate to have former players like Rod try to help him with this, but I think Marshall truly needs a father figure to help him along and exploit his talents to the fullest and stay on the right path. I am highly optimistic after last week that McDaniels, of all people, might turn out to be that person. Marshall is not a thug, he is not lazy, he is not stupid or arrogant. I think he is actually a pretty smart, complex and troubled human being.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

First rule of having a good cry: make sure no one's in the room!

That's Crying 101 Brandon, come on!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I freaking love Dawk. not only does he make the middle of our backfield a freaking no mans land he convinces recievers on our team to take the diaper off and play. If he were the highest paid player on the team it would be worth every penny!
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
He has been fortunate to have former players like Rod try to help him with this, but I think Marshall truly needs a father figure to help him along and exploit his talents to the fullest and stay on the right path. I am highly optimistic after last week that McDaniels, of all people, might turn out to be that person. Marshall is not a thug, he is not lazy, he is not stupid or arrogant. I think he is actually a pretty smart, complex and troubled human being.
I agree with all of this. I think he is smart enough and talented enough to dominate this league, but he has only himself holding him back. I think the DWill situation messed him up mentaly, as it would most humans. But you're right, he is complex and troubled, hopefully someone can get to him and channel him in the right direction.
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
At two million dollars+ per, he still needs to feel "appreciated".........
that is understandable. with his production he is majorly underpaid, and the fact that he was all but relegated to being nothing more than a fan for the majority of that game is understandable that it would get to a guy who loves the game as much as he does.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Marshall interview on NFLN 9 am est. tomorrow, I believe.
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
Marshall interview on NFLN 9 am est. tomorrow, I believe.
Is Jamie Dukes going to be there again to laugh and tell him how bad he needs to get out of town?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post

Awesome!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
I think the DWill situation messed him up mentaly, as it would most humans.
What about that situation should have affected Marshall more than the rest of the team?
misturanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Why do insist on piling on a man when he's down! I mean really dude! Whats with you? Wonder whats your private life is like. Are you dealling with any issues work wise, with relationships or healthwise? Are you under the microscope as a result? How about you laying BMarsh! He's making progress both professionally and personally. You can't relate to Marshall's life and what it takes to be a professional athlete. How about you just take a step back and be the flunky fan you truly are.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
What about that situation should have affected Marshall more than the rest of the team?
Of course. I also think he must feel some weight of responsibility for that, and certainly some of the fans here have demonized him for it. But the fact is even though Marshall may have mouthed off at the wrong guy it is NOT his fault that a murderous gangsta killed DWill. That's sort of like blaming a rape victim for being a slut and putting herself in that position.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McApaOps5 View Post
Awesome!
PRB is one to talk, he probably cries more often than the average adult male and he's not even a professional football player.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #22
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Brandon's interview is Sunday at 9 am est,
He's talking about how he would have done things differently if he could go back and change what he did he would.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:

He knew Dawk was there he was hoping for a hug.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #24
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Of course. I also think he must feel some weight of responsibility for that, and certainly some of the fans here have demonized him for it. But the fact is even though Marshall may have mouthed off at the wrong guy it is NOT his fault that a murderous gangsta killed DWill. That's sort of like blaming a rape victim for being a slut and putting herself in that position.
So if you were to start a verbal confrontation in a bar, which ultimately escalates to a brawl during which you friend get killed, you wouldn't feel one iato responsible for the events leading up to the retaliation?

Nice!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #25
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

One also can look at Walker...he's never been the same.