The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Muddled
Seasoned Veteran

passing through

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Foxworth
Default CHFF: Broncos defense in midst of staggering turnaround

some pretty mindblowing statistics

Quote:
You probably know the basics:

The 2008 Broncos surrendered 374.6 yards per game (29th overall); the 2009 Broncos surrender 239.8 YPG (2nd)

The 2008 Broncos surrendered 28.0 points per game (30th); the 2009 Broncos surrender 6.5 PPG (1st)

But the power of the Denver defense is even more impressive when viewed through the pigskin periscope of the Quality Stats that we use to rate teams at ColdHardFootballFacts.com. Quality Stats are those indicators that have a direct correlation to team-wide success.

Here are five that highlight in no uncertain terms the dramatic improvement of the Denver D:...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nse/index.html
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

That was an interesting article this is my favorite part.

Quote:
The Bendability Index is our attempt to chart the "bend-but-don't" break concept. Essentially, it's our measure of defensive efficiency, telling us how many yards opponents must generate for every point they score.

The 2008 Broncos ranked 28th in this indicator. They forced opponents to march the equivalent of 93.8 yards for every seven points they put on the board.
The 2009 Broncos rank 1st in this indicator, and nobody's even close. They force opponents to march the equivalent of 258.3 yards for every seven points they put on the board.
That's a shocking number of efficiency. So far, Denver's opponents must march up and down the entire length of the field two and a half times before they score a single touchdown. In fact, we've never seen anything remotely close to this mark since we created the Bendability Index in 2004.
What it tells us is that the Broncos are good in many other areas, because the Bendability Index is not just a defensive measure. It takes into account a variety of team-wide factors, including the efficiency of the offense and special teams, red zone defense and turnover margin. Essentially, even when opponents can generate yards against Denver, they're usually in no position to turn those yards into points or they simply leave those points on the field.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
dextermilo
Word

Rational cynic.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Let's just hope it holds up!
dextermilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

If our defense was an offense, it'd be averaging about 38 points and 600 yards per game, so no, it won't hold up, but i am hoping the rankings will stay close to where they are even though the eventual numbers are inevitably going to slip a little.

But I'm thinking that the bend-but-don't-break defense is the inevitable result of having a good-but-not-great front seven coupled with a stellar secondary. Last year we had an average front seven and a woeful secondary so we got torn apart, but if the offense had held on to the ball a little longer we may have been merely below-average stats-wise, rather than being pretty much bottom of the league as we were

However, the offense has been helping the defense by not turning the ball over and eating up the clock even when they don't score (in all bar the Cincy game anyway) so that has helped, and gives cause for optimism that this performance can be maintained throughout the season. Much as we love Elvis and B-Dawk and Champ, there's no one individual that has been soley responsible for picking the defense up, its been a question of the whole team - in fact the whole organisation - coming together.

Too early to judge of course and I keep vigorously touching wood (I hope that expression translates appropriately accross the atlantic...) whenever I say positive things about the rest of the season. Remember, 4-0 only guarantees 4-12 or better.....we're not there yet...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Just chill out grasshopper There is alot of football to be played
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

The way I remember the "bend but don't break" defense of 2006 was that it gave up a lot of yards (bend) but not a lot of points (break) early on. The defense this year is stingier with both.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

The issue of the 2006 Broncos keeps coming up and, out of curiosity, I looked at some of their stats.

After the first 4 weeks of 2006, the Broncos had given up 34 points (8 points more than this one at the same juncture.) That was still very impressive.

The one thing that really stands out in the early statistical comparison is that in 2006, through the first 4 games, the Broncos D had only 2 QB sacks. As we all know, the inability to pressure the QB would be something that would cause them trouble down the line.

This defense already has 15 sacks.

Last edited by Old Dude; 10-09-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
The issue of the 2006 Broncos keeps coming up and, out of curiosity, I looked at some of their stats.

After the first 4 weeks of 2006, that D had given up 38 points (12 points more than this one at the same juncture.) That was still very impressive.

The one thing that really stands out in the early statistical comparison is that in 2006, through the first 4 games, the Broncos D had only 2 QB sacks. As we all know, the inability to pressure the QB would be something that would cause them trouble down the line.

This defense already has 15 sacks.
Right - I'm sure we all remember the lack of pass rush. Peyton Manning ended up exposing us for that. I just don't remember a Broncos defense in recent memory looking anywhere as close to complete as this one.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #9
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Note: I edited the scoring tally. But the sack figure is still correct.

What I remember most about that early season is that our secondary was playing great - but opposing QBs still had time to throw the ball away before taking sacks.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
If our defense was an offense, it'd be averaging about 38 points and 600 yards per game, so no, it won't hold up, but i am hoping the rankings will stay close to where they are even though the eventual numbers are inevitably going to slip a little.
Yeah our Red Zone Dhas been pretty fortunate. We will see some more points by the opponnet in the next few weeks and we'll have to counter with better offensive production.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Defensive passer rating is also better after 4 games. This year: 56.0. After the first 4 games in 2006 it was 68.7.

Of course, back in 2006, they arguably faced a much better early crop of QBs: Bulger, Huard, Brady and McNair. (McNair is the guy they really owned, intercepting him three times.)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

But I'm thinking that the bend-but-don't-break defense is the inevitable result of having a good-but-not-great front seven coupled with a stellar secondary. Last year we had an average front seven and a woeful secondary so we got torn apart, but if the offense had held on to the ball a little longer we may have been merely below-average stats-wise, rather than being pretty much bottom of the league as we were

However, the offense has been helping the defense by not turning the ball over and eating up the clock even when they don't score (in all bar the Cincy game anyway) so that has helped, and gives cause for optimism that this performance can be maintained throughout the season. Much as we love Elvis and B-Dawk and Champ, there's no one individual that has been soley responsible for picking the defense up, its been a question of the whole team - in fact the whole organisation - coming together.

Too early to judge of course and I keep vigorously touching wood (I hope that expression translates appropriately accross the atlantic...) whenever I say positive things about the rest of the season. Remember, 4-0 only guarantees 4-12 or better.....we're not there yet...
I agree its impossible to hold up, but im sick of people saying the front seven isn't good. This front seven hasn't really faltered AT ALL...not even in the preseason. So the only reason people are saying they are bad is because....the media says they are bad. As a group, they've only proven to be strong.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
The way I remember the "bend but don't break" defense of 2006 was that it gave up a lot of yards (bend) but not a lot of points (break) early on. The defense this year is stingier with both.
+ with pass rush. The difference btw this unit and that one is that this one GETS SACKS and creates havoc for a QB.
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I think you misread things. Denver doesn't have a bend but dont break defense. They are in the top 3 in forced 3 and outs and lead the league in drives fewer than 6 plays. That's not the definition of a bend buty dont break defense. Thats what we had in 2005.
Quote:

The rest of this post is fine.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Humorous side-note. "Cold-Hard Football facts" has Denver as a 1-point favorite this week - despite their "instincts." But look at their prediction on the Raiders Giants game ....

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...k_5_picks.html
Old 10-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
for the most part this defense isn't playing bend but don't break. we allowed a lot of long drives and a lot of yards and then made a play to stop a drive before any points were put up, in 2006 when the defense looked good.

but this year, we are just shutting down offenses. there are not many long drives, not a ton of yards, a **** load of 3 and outs.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Good read...
The defense has played inspired, they've played with emotion, and they have adopted an attacking style that will keep them making plays all season long
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
Bronco Yoda

We're not a bend-but-dont-break D. We've just been fortunate to get some turnovers after giving up some drives deep in our red zone. We're an attacking D that has been able to parlay that into turnovers.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
Bronco Yoda

I wouldn't even put us as #4 in the power polls yet like they did. I think they stole my Orange shades
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I agree with Le Lo: How is it that the D is really pretty damm good to this point but he "front 7 is bad"? Are people still havaing problems believing that the rptation is not too shabby?

Give credit where it is due......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote