The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default Prepare yourself: Scouts Inc. Week 5 Pats@Broncos

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scout...meId=291011007

New England at Denver
When: 4:15 PM ET
Watch: CBS
Preview
More scouting reports: Week 5
Scouts Inc. Position Advantage

QB: NE
RB: DEN
WR: NE
OL: DEN
DL: DEN
LB: NE (?)
DB: NE
ST: NE
Coach: DEN (I had to quadruple check I saw this correctly)

After breaking down film of both teams, Scouts Inc. offers 10 things to watch in this week's Patriots-Broncos matchup.

1. New England needs to stay balanced offensively: The Patriots have been much better at keeping defenses off-balance with a mixture of run and pass. They won the time of possession in their Week Four victory with a variety of short and intermediate passes as well as with an interior and perimeter ground assault.

2. Expect the Patriots to involve Welker more this week: Now that Wes Welker is healthy we are likely to see him be a larger part of the game plan in this week's matchup. The Broncos have two excellent corners that can give the New England perimeter targets problems and Welker is most effective out of the slot on short crossing and option routes with effective run-after-catch yards to move the chains.

3. Make Denver one-dimensional on offense: The Broncos have a formidable ground attack averaging 4.7 yards per attempt and Bill Belichick will likely design defensive schemes that will stymie their running game. Look for more zone run blitzes and eight-man fronts from a somewhat depleted Patriots defense.

4. Look for more pressure packages from the Patriots: Putting pressure on Kyle Orton will be a key for a Patriots victory. Orton isn't flashy but hasn't thrown an interception and only has been sacked six times thus far. The Broncos signal caller can be very effective if given time in the pocket, so making him get the ball out quickly will be important.

5. Matchup to watch: Patriots WR Randy Moss vs. Broncos CB Champ Bailey: This should be an outstanding battle between two of the best at their respective positions. Moss has a distinct size advantage on Bailey, especially on jump balls, while Champ has excellent quickness, speed and agility to stay in Moss's hip pocket. If Bailey can take Moss away with single coverage it will give the advantage to the Denver defense, but if Moss makes some big plays early in the contest the momentum will swing in the Patriots' favor.

6. Denver will utilize more early down throws: We should expect more three-step and bootleg schemes in the Broncos' air assault to make third-down conversions more manageable. New England will likely overplay the run and short crossing patterns, as well as slants, so option routes should be available to Orton.

7. More balls going to the Denver playmakers: There is no room for error in this matchup and we should expect a more concerted effort to get the ball to Brandon Marshall, as well as Correll Buckhalter (if he can play) and Knowshon Moreno. Marshall appears to be very focused and showed how explosive he can be in last week's matchup. Meanwhile, both backs have been very effective toting the football as well as receiving passes out of the backfield.

8. Denver needs to flush Brady from the pocket: Brady has been much more effective in the past couple of weeks, as he has had time in the pocket to scan the field. The future Hall-of-Famer is excellent in the pocket but isn't great at improvising when flushed to the perimeter. Look for more middle-backer blitz schemes, as well as edge pressure from a defense that leads the league in sacks with 15.

9. Look for more aggressive alignment and techniques from Denver: The Broncos appear to have the personnel to match up with a talented Patriots receiving corps. We should see more jam techniques and tighter alignments to funnel perimeter targets in coordinator Mike Nolan's aggressive approach.

10. Matchup to watch: Broncos OLB Elvis Dumervil vs. Patriots OT Matt Light: The Broncos racked up five sacks in last week's victory, with Dumervil being the most disruptive force. Elvis doesn't possess great size, but has excellent quickness and a deceptive power to give Light problems protecting Brady's blind side. Look for this battle to have a huge impact on the outcome.

Prediction
New England 23
Denver 24
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

DL: DEN
LB: NE (?)
DB: NE

I think they got these three backward.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thats a good breakdown. I wouldnt say the Pats have the advantage at DB though.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

This is a game we should have a distinct advantage in. McDaniel's should know the Patriot's offense weakness up one side and down the other.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
This is a game we should have a distinct advantage in. McDaniel's should know the Patriot's offense weakness up one side and down the other.
Yeah but the Pats know he knows their weakness so well and might be able to predict how he will attack them.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

I disagree on WR also. The Pats have two excellent receivers. We have much more depth.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
I disagree on WR also. The Pats have two excellent receivers. We have much more depth.
We do?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

We win this game and the rest of the league, the networks, the talking heads, are going to freak out.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
We do?
They basically have: Wes Welker, Moss, Galloway, and a couple of dudes you've never really heard of before (Aiken and Edleman)

We have: Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, and Stokely (then McKinley and Lloyd) we
have more depth at WR on our depth chart and I believe in actuallity.

for TEs, they have Ben Watson, Chris Baker and Mike Matthews
We have Scheffler, Graham, and Quinn

Although both Baker and Watson are formidable if left unchecked, I would take Scheff and Graham over those two.

Where NE has an advantage is in receiving backs with: Morris, Faulk, Taylor, and Maroney (is he playing?).

Without Correll, we have Hillis and Moreno as our potential receiving backs.

I think we are decidedly better in receiving positions than the Pats. Moss is more proven than Marshall, but Champ should be on Moss.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Yeah but the Pats know he knows their weakness so well and might be able to predict how he will attack them.
Yes, but Denver knows, that they know, that Denver knows there weakness, so they will counter by not attacking.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
Yes, but Denver knows, that they know, that Denver knows there weakness, so they will counter by not attacking.
I expect McD will tell our guys to prepare for the things that Patriots aren't going to do, because thats exactly what they will do to confuse McD. Belicheat will do the same, but in reverse so that he will do the things that McD expects him to do, only they will be the unexpected things because they are expected.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish McStout View Post
I expect McD will tell our guys to prepare for the things that Patriots aren't going to do, because thats exactly what they will do to confuse McD. Belicheat will do the same, but in reverse so that he will do the things that McD expects him to do, only they will be the unexpected things because they are expected.

Exactly. Thats why I really thing we're going to see the wishbone on Sunday.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Exactly. Thats why I really thing we're going to see the wishbone on Sunday.
Maybe the straight T formation.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
They basically have: Wes Welker, Moss, Galloway, and a couple of dudes you've never really heard of before (Aiken and Edleman)

We have: Marshall, Royal, Gaffney, and Stokely (then McKinley and Lloyd) we
have more depth at WR on our depth chart and I believe in actuallity.

for TEs, they have Ben Watson, Chris Baker and Mike Matthews
We have Scheffler, Graham, and Quinn

Although both Baker and Watson are formidable if left unchecked, I would take Scheff and Graham over those two.

Where NE has an advantage is in receiving backs with: Morris, Faulk, Taylor, and Maroney (is he playing?).

Without Correll, we have Hillis and Moreno as our potential receiving backs.

I think we are decidedly better in receiving positions than the Pats. Moss is more proven than Marshall, but Champ should be on Moss.
Jordan is good a catching passes too.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

we have better WR depth for SURE. welker might not play i thought, but moss is clearly the best WR on the field. other than that, they have no one. galloway is a healthy inactive now.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Our advantage in this game is McDaniel's knowledge of personnel not offensive or defensive systems.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Diabolical!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Maybe the straight T formation.
I'll be keeping a look out for the cheerleaders to run a few plays. Keep the other team on their toes.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilife View Post
I'll be keeping a look out for the cheerleaders to run a few plays. Keep the other team on their toes.
Maybe we'll make some room on our roster for some of the chicks from the Lengerie league!

Although I'm not sure how they'd look in their brown and yellow lengerie with those striped socks.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #20
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Maybe we'll make some room on our roster for some of the chicks from the Lengerie league!

Although I'm not sure how they'd look in their brown and yellow lengerie with those striped socks.
Right now I really don't care. Why is the TE playing C?

Last edited by HILife; 10-07-2009 at 07:54 PM..
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

our DL is given the advantage?

lol wow a long way we have come from last year
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

They didn't mention the advantage we'll have because the Pats will be laughing too hard at our throwback uni's that they will be distracted!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #23
Caveat Lector
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Maybe we try some Wildcat? We practised some in TC, maybe its a look they're not expecting. Remember what the Dolphins did to them last year...
Caveat Lector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

QB: NE - Right
RB: DEN - Right
WR: NE - Right
OL: DEN - Right
DL: DEN - Wow
LB: NE (?) - Umm, Im not sure, maybe.
DB: NE - Wrong
ST: NE - Wrong
Coach: DEN - Wrong

I love the new staff we got but until McD and company win 3 SBs with the Broncos the coaching edge goes to NE period.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
QB: NE - Right
RB: DEN - Right
WR: NE - Right
OL: DEN - Right
DL: DEN - Wow
LB: NE (?) - Umm, Im not sure, maybe.
DB: NE - Wrong
ST: NE - Wrong
Coach: DEN - Wrong

I love the new staff we got but until McD and company win 3 SBs with the Broncos the coaching edge goes to NE period.
Man I really disagree with WR. Maybe its cause there is more faith in their QB to get the ball to Moss or Welker than there is in Ort to get it to Royal, Marshall, Stokely, or Gaffney. I get that Moss and Welker are scary, but we've seen what Royal, Marshall and Stokely are capable of.

I also think we've got better pass catching TEs.