The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Mike Mayock on Tom Brady and Roughing the passer

Just heard Brian Billick, Solomon Wilcotts and Mike Mayock discussing the roughing the passer penalties on Tom Brady Sunday. Mayock came down pretty hard on how he too thinks there are a set a rules for Tom and then
there are other quarterbacks. He said there should have been no penalty for the sidestep he made and that if you are gonna make Brady wear a skirt the same rule should apply to other QBs. He then showed the high-low hit on Joe Flacco in the same game where no penalty was called. I looked for a video on this discussion but here is another video on this same subject on Total Access.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...ing-the-passer

You decide, but I really think this will be one of the deciding factors on Sunday as to who wins or loses the game. I guess I'll go on the record and say that we will be guilty of at least 2 roughing the passer calls on Brady that are very questionable. Brady's treatment w/ kid gloves by the NFL reminds me so much of Michael Jordon's treatment by officials in his last years as an NBA superstar. All someone would have to do is sneeze in front of MJ and he was called for a foul. Really suck that the NFL has come to this, its my number on b**** w/ the league on how they have went too far on protecting QB's and other superstars.

Last edited by broncobum6162; 10-08-2009 at 11:26 AM..
broncobum6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Maybe the Broncos are going to be lucky in the fact that they're getting him the game after such an uproar was made about him acting like such a little, whiny b****.
Man-Goblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I agree, I think it will be a factor as well. The defense bailed us out last week while the offensive was busy shooting itself in the foot and then reloading for another go.

A couple of these drive prolonging calls could really take the wind out of the defenses sails.

I'd like to think I'm not making excuses ahead of time, I am prepared to deal with it if it happens. But it is a very REAL concern for me personally leading up to this game.

But, then again, maybe we'll get Hochuli.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Does anyone have the FULL video of Brady getting "brushed" below the knees? I'd be interested to see if that Pats O lineman forced the Ravens player to the ground.

I think Brady needs to grow the **** up! This is a VIOLENT sport, where collisions happen EVERY play, to when you start "demanding" flags because an opponent almost hit you in the legs ... that makes you a whiney little b****, in the middle of a war-zone!!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

That is what I was thinking. The league is actually pretty sensitive to any wide spread criticism. And there has been a lot of backlash this week from the NFL fan base over the treatment that Brady seems to be getting. I mean, even Bill Simmons, who typically swings from Brady's nutsack, couldn't defend him this past week.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
Maybe the Broncos are going to be lucky in the fact that they're getting him the game after such an uproar was made about him acting like such a little, whiny b****.
Hope your right. Its pretty bad when you have 2 separate round tables on this subject on the NFL's own channel. With the pressure we have been able to bring on the QB this year I think its inevitable unless they start treating Brady like a man playing football in the big time instead of a sissy in Pop Warner.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

They need to introduce a rule that stops guys asking for flags.

Brady begging for a flag when Suggs barely brushed against him was absolutely pathetic, then the fist pump celebration was even worse.

Asking for a flag should be deemed 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' and result in a 15 yard penalty.

We most certainly don't wanna go down the same road soccer has.

Just let the officials do their job and the players play ball.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i would be willing to bet that Doom is going to get called for roughing the passer this weekend.

these are reasons i don't see Brady as this great QB that the world believes him to be. how can you be great when the league sets up new rules to protect only you? tuck rule, can't breath around him while you can drive almost any other QB through the turf.
plus the fact that a guy who was a career backup including in college replicated his success on the field.

i understand protecting the signal callers because they are the most important guys on the field, but it is getting to the point where if he is touched he gets a call from the ref.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
Does anyone have the FULL video of Brady getting "brushed" below the knees? I'd be interested to see if that Pats O lineman forced the Ravens player to the ground.

I think Brady needs to grow the **** up! This is a VIOLENT sport, where collisions happen EVERY play, to when you start "demanding" flags because an opponent almost hit you in the legs ... that makes you a whiney little b****, in the middle of a war-zone!!
I was trying to find that very discussion on video, maybe its too soon yet and not on the NFLN website. I'll keep checking. They very clearly showed the hits on Tom Brady and Joe Flacco. This discussion was the most anti-Brady treatment opinion I've heard yet.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post

he is wearing pads, and i believe if you play in the NFL and have some pads on, you can get hit. the NFL is getting to the point where certain QBs are going to wear the red jersey during games.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobum6162 View Post
I was trying to find that very discussion on video, maybe its too soon yet and not on the NFLN website. I'll keep checking. They very clearly showed the hits on Tom Brady and Joe Flacco. This discussion was the most anti-Brady treatment opinion I've heard yet.
It's a different issue, but I have absolute HATRED for these "3 second" clips of incidents during games. You need the FULL play (maybe even another angle too?) to see what really happened, incase someone did something untoward that caused it all!
IMO, the Ravens know that Brady is "NFL protected" so I don't think anyone is going to "go low" on him unless they are forced to (held/dragged) by an opponent.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
meangene
Ring of Famer

I'm glad we are getting them the week after all the controversy. Maybe we will get one or two less roughing the passer calls than we would have. Remember the playoff game here a few years back where we blitzed the hell out of him and he whined and cried on every play? Damn, I hope we just tee off like that this week!
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Protecting the QB is one thing, but you have to allow defenders to play too.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

My idea would be to let the Pats hit Orton early and often in hopes of getting a few roughing penalties of our own...er, out....
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

My take is that everyone knows this was a bad call by the ref. They happen all the time, and the league generally makes an effort to look at those calls and adjust as needed. It's like the Hochuli call last year.

I think because of the media attention, they will call it fairer for us next week when Doom and Ayers knock Brady down multiple times
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #16
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

I hope things start looking up for tom this week ...

Looking up THIS way!!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I found it very interesting that the league is not fining the Ravens for their comments after the game. Generally this is viewed as the league agreeing with what was said.

Tom Terrific better bring his big girl britches.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

It doesn't matter because we are going to hit him high because he's rarely going to find anyone open.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

More than roughing the passer, I am worried about the phantom PI calls we'll get, both on O and D.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #20
broncobum6162
Manning Up!

Baaammmmmmmm!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I found it very interesting that the league is not fining the Ravens for their comments after the game. Generally this is viewed as the league agreeing with what was said.
I was thinking about the same thing too. After the way Lewis and Suggs went off on camera about the referee's bad calls, I was expecting a fine too. That's a big NoNo in the NFL. According to the front office, the referees are beyond reproach and therefore not subject to any criticicism by the players they screw when they make a bad call. If they don't fine them, evidently they may think there is something to their b****ing. I hope!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
BroncoFanatic
Roaming Coloradan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
t-mobile girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

Brady begging for a flag when Suggs barely brushed against him was absolutely pathetic, then the fist pump celebration was even worse.

Asking for a flag should be deemed 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' and result in a 15 yard penalty.
+1000

I hate that crap, even when our guys do it

Last edited by BroncoFanatic; 10-07-2009 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: My bad spelling is a product of the public school system
BroncoFanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #22
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
Exactly, I think this is great timing for us
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Whip is ass Dooooom!!!!
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchism View Post

We most certainly don't wanna go down the same road soccer has.

Just let the officials do their job and the players play ball.
Like in soccer where you can get carded for flopping?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone remember the regular season game against NE in 2005? We jumped out to a big lead. We partly did it because they were able to put a lot of pressure on Brady. They were really knocking him around. And then suddenly you started seeing defensive linemen break free only to suddenly be held back as if by some kind of magic. But it wasnt some kind of magic, it was because NE resorted to holding. They were doing it left and right. I counted at least 3 times that DLinemen broke through only to magically be held back. The refs swallowed their whistles to protect Brady and as a result the game ended up being much closer than it ever should have been.

Id like to believe the common sentiment that theyll let them play but this stuff has been happening for so long, it might not be possible to even things out.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote