The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Any Given Sunday

Anyone got ESPN Insider and want to do us a favor and screw those a-holes and post the content here?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d4535747
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Anyone got ESPN Insider and want to do us a favor and screw those a-holes and post the content here?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d4535747
I will if you can tell me how to highlight text and copy/paste on a blackberry. Otherwise I can when I get to a computer in an hour or two, if it isn't posted yet.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I thought BlackBerry's and iPhones could read minds and do anything you wanted them to.

I guess it is just a phone after all
Old 10-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

COPY: Alt + Wheel Click
CUT: Shift + Delete
PASTE: Shift + Wheel Click
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
yerner
Ring of Famer

In Any Given Sunday, Football Outsiders examines the most surprising result of each NFL weekend and where the two teams involved can go from here. Week 4's entry is the Denver Broncos' defeat of the Dallas Cowboys.

If the Denver Broncos make the playoffs, their defense will lead the way. New defensive coordinator Mike Nolan (former coach of the San Francisco 49ers) has instituted sweeping changes -- and the results have been dramatic. Just ask the Dallas Cowboys, the latest victims of the NFL's most surprising undefeated team.

Denver has eight new defensive starters and a new philosophy; they Broncos have moved to a 3-4 set. Nolan blitzes a lot, as he did when running Baltimore's defense from 2002 to '04. The Broncos lead the league with 15 sacks, and seven different players have collected at least one, including all four starting linebackers. This pattern held true against the Cowboys, as four different Broncos notched five combined sacks.

Getty ImagesElvis Dumervil has been a revelation for the Broncos and a terror for opposing offenses.

There's more than one way to make a big play, however. At Football Outsiders, we track a stat we call "Defeats." This incorporates sacks, stuffs on run plays, turnovers and stops on third and fourth downs. Four Broncos -- Elvis Dumervil, Andra Davis, Champ Bailey and D.J. Williams -- have six or more defeats in 2009. Only four other teams have so many players making so many big plays.

To learn more about just how improved Denver's defense is using FBO's metric analysis -- and to find out who the biggest stud and disappointment for Dallas has been and might be going forward -- you must be an ESPN Insider.

Another statistic, called "Stops," shows how active Davis and Williams, the two inside linebackers, have been. Every time a defender makes a play that holds an offense to less than 40 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, and 100 percent on third and fourth down, they are credited with a stop. Davis and Williams each have 21, tied for eighth in the league. Only two other teams -- the Houston Texans and Tennessee Titans -- have a pair of defenders in the 21-stop club.

FO's DVOA statistic analyzes every play of every game and adjusts for the quality of opponent. DVOA gives the Broncos more credit for shutting down Marion Barber than it would against an average running back. Following the Cowboys game, the Denver defense ranks third overall in DVOA, fifth against the run and fifth against the pass. They rank even higher without opponent adjustments -- they haven't performed quite as well as you might think, although they've certainly been one of the league's best units.

The bad news for Denver fans is that the future opponents are a scary bunch. Denver's next seven opponents have a combined record of 18-10, including the Ravens, Steelers, Giants and this week's opponent -- the seemingly resurgent Patriots.

There's a small silver lining in Sunday's contest, though: Tom Brady played another aggressive defense two weeks ago (New York Jets), and while he wasn't sacked, he was harassed into a series of checkdowns and incompletions. The Broncos may prove to be a similarly bad matchup.

As expected, Denver's offense has taken a small step backward after losing Jay Cutler and gaining Kyle Orton at quarterback. Last year's Broncos ranked second overall in DVOA, seventh in passing and first in rushing. This year, those rankings have slipped to 11th, 8th and 10th. Keep in mind that two plays -- Brandon Stokley's tip drill touchdown against Cincinnati and Brandon Marshall's fingertip catch-and-run through Dallas' entire secondary -- have comprised nearly 16 percent of Denver's net passing yardage. It's doubtful the Broncos will continue to get plays like that in key situations.

For Dallas, the loss exposed a cruel truth about its offense: If you stop the run, the Cowboys can't score. Dallas ranks fifth in overall offensive DVOA and first in rushing, but just 13th in passing. The problem has less to do with Tony Romo and more to do with his receivers. FO uses a stat called DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) to rank pass-catchers. While Jason Witten ranks seventh among tight ends in DYAR, the Cowboys have no wide receivers in the top 40. Romo simply has no reliable targets outside of Witten. (This makes Dallas' decision to keep Witten in as a blocker on the last two plays against Denver particularly puzzling.) One solution might be a steady dose of two-tight-end sets; Martellus Bennett led all tight ends in DVOA last year. The extra blocker would also boost Dallas' running attack even more.

The biggest disappointment in Dallas is DeMarcus Ware, the outside linebacker who has no sacks after leading the league with 20 last year. It's his first four-game sackless streak since his rookie season in 2005. The Cowboys have only six sacks as a team, and the pass defense has fallen from 12th in DVOA last season to 27th this year. The Cowboys need Ware to return to form; no other player on the roster has ever recorded double-digit sacks in a season. Ware could get on track this week against the Chiefs, who have given up 13 sacks so far this season. Otherwise it could be a while; the Cowboys' next three opponents -- the Falcons, Seahawks and Eagles -- all rank in the top ten in FO's Adjusted Sack Rate stats. It's conceivable Ware could be sackless going into a Nov. 15 contest against Green Bay, which ranks last in Adjusted Sack Rate thanks to Aaron Rodgers' propensity to hang on to the ball.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

MOre excuses.

Football OUtsiders predicted Denver to be the worst team in the league in everything and because of Denver's success defensively and offensively (because you know, being in the top 11 in THEIR offensive categories is successful when they predicted us to be near last) they continue to throw in exceptions for Denver. Last week it was:

"While there's no doubt that Denver has played much better than expected, their performance is also the product of a pretty easy early schedule....Other than Denver, I think the DVOA ratings (technically, just "VOA ratings" right now) do a pretty good job of noting which teams may be better or worse than their early win-loss records."
Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Just think how good we would be if Woodyard or Larson was playing instead of Mike Nolan being forced to keep DJ Williams out there because of that horrific contract extension Shanahan signed him too. The hate on this guy is just unreal.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

wut!/?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&blue View Post
COPY: Alt + Wheel Click
CUT: Shift + Delete
PASTE: Shift + Wheel Click
Thanks, those are helpful. The biggest problem I had was trying to highlight text not in am area I can type. To do this you have to change to "select mode" in the options. Now I can post articles and stuff, go me!

Anyways, this is a good article so maybe I should stop posting about the phone I don't know how to use.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
Thanks, those are helpful. The biggest problem I had was trying to highlight text not in am area I can type. To do this you have to change to "select mode" in the options. Now I can post articles and stuff, go me!

Anyways, this is a good article so maybe I should stop posting about the phone I don't know how to use.
Try ALT and click and scroll track ball.

Which version do you have?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
orangemonkey
Perennial Pro-bowler

"As expected, Denver's offense has taken a small step backward after losing Jay Cutler and gaining Kyle Orton at quarterback. Last year's Broncos ranked second overall in DVOA, seventh in passing and first in rushing. This year, those rankings have slipped to 11th, 8th and 10th. Keep in mind that two plays -- Brandon Stokley's tip drill touchdown against Cincinnati and Brandon Marshall's fingertip catch-and-run through Dallas' entire secondary -- have comprised nearly 16 percent of Denver's net passing yardage. It's doubtful the Broncos will continue to get plays like that in key situations."

This is the most critical section for me. I'm not sold on Orton yet. I'm eager to see how he matches up against good overall pass/run defenses (Steelers, Ravens) and good QB's (Brady, Rivers, etc). Once his luck runs out (and it will), he needs to be a consistent playmaker for us to win. Let's hope he will be!

Last edited by orangemonkey; 10-06-2009 at 01:57 PM..
orangemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange&blue View Post
Try ALT and click and scroll track ball.

Which version do you have?
That works if I am doing it somewhere that I can actually type. It doesn't work when looking at articles and stuff. I have the 8330m.