The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Ambiguous
Ask me about my title
 
Ambiguous's Avatar
 
Go fsck yourself San Diego.

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default Williamson: AFC West Stock Watch

How I See It: AFC West Stock Watch

October 6, 2009 11:00 AM

» NFC Stock Watch: East | West | North | South » AFC: East | West | North | South

Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Falling

1. Oakland’s passing game: Oakland coach Tom Cable said the team dropped nine passes from JaMarcus Russell in a 23-point loss to the Texans. Cable was protecting his quarterback a bit. Russell still wasn’t good Sunday, but he does need help from his receivers. Russell called out his receivers somewhat after the game. Yes, he needs help, but he needs to help his receivers as well.

2. Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs appear to be getting worse. They competed in their first two games. Kansas City has been blown out of its last two games.

The Chiefs are not playing winning football in any phase right now and they look like they are a candidate to lose 14 to 16 games.

3. San Diego Chargers defense: The Chargers allowed 497 yards of total offense in a 38-28 loss at Pittsburgh Sunday night. The San Diego defense had been playing fairly well, but it was ravaged by the Steelers in both the passing and running game. San Diego has a bye this week. It has to tighten the defense during its time off.

Rising

1. Denver Broncos: The skeptics thought Denver would implode once a tough 10-game stretch began in Week 4 against Dallas.

But the Broncos began the difficult stretch with a 17-10 win over the talented Cowboys. Denver not only showed it can hang with a solid team, but it showed it could make the big plays on both sides of the ball to win.

Marshall
2. Brandon Marshall, wide receiver, Broncos: Marshall showed Sunday that he is one of the most talented receivers in the NFL. He helped Denver win with a 51-yard catch and run in the final moments to beat Dallas.

Marshall does things few receivers can do in the NFL. He is special. He got off to a slow start in new coach Josh McDaniels’ system because of off-field issues. But Marshall proved Sunday that he can be a big help to the Denver offense.

Orton
3. Kyle Orton, quarterback, Broncos: Yes, this category is a Denver sweep. But what do you want? Every other AFC West team lost by double digits Sunday and the Broncos are 4-0. Orton, believe it or not, is a big reason why Denver is unbeaten.

A throw-in in the Jay Cutler trade with Chicago, Orton is not spectacular. But he gets the job done and he is a good fit for McDaniels’ offense. Orton has not thrown an interception in four games and just keeps chugging along.
Ambiguous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,307
Default

Good stuff. Some of our "uneducated" members should read this closely.......
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Jelly Roll - A throw-in in the Jay Cutler trade with Chicago, Orton is not spectacular. But he gets the job done and he is a good fit for McDaniels’ offense. Orton has not thrown an interception in four games and just keeps chugging along.


Wrong! Orton was not a throw-in, that trade was made with Chicago because of Orton and better offers (Washington) were turned down because of Orton.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,445
Default

Well, to be fair, if our defense hadn't improved by the leaps and bounds that it had, we could easily be in a much worse situation. If our opponents were scoring like they were last year, would our current offense get the job done? Not likely.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wrong! Orton was not a throw-in, that trade was made with Chicago because of Orton and better offers (Washington) were turned down because of Orton.
i am glad that McDaniels was smart enough to say no to a trade that more than likely would have yielded them a top 5 pick in the 2010 draft, for a lesser trade that got him the QB he knew could execute his offense really well. just imagine, we could have Jason Campbell starting for us at this moment.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Well, to be fair, if our defense hadn't improved by the leaps and bounds that it had, we could easily be in a much worse situation. If our opponents were scoring like they were last year, would our current offense get the job done? Not likely.
You're right but things are falling our way for a change. First we get an easy schedule early while our O plays itself into a cohesive team while learning a new system, now we are much more ready to face the better teams like NE & SD. Next we get a Bye at the perfect time we will need a breather after the next two weeks. If Orton and the WRs take the next step we have a great chance to be 6 & 0 or 5 & 1. I have felt all along we will go into the bye 6 & 0 which would be quite an accomplishment.

Shanny's teams were bit by the injury bug for the last few years. Josh comes in and makes the guys hit in TC and emphasizes stretching, I will be watching to see if the injuries diminish because if this team is to make noise this season we must avoid the key injuries.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wrong! Orton was not a throw-in, that trade was made with Chicago because of Orton and better offers (Washington) were turned down because of Orton.
Was this ever confirmed?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Was this ever confirmed?
Not likely
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Was this ever confirmed?
Confirmed? Not sure but it was heavily discussed in the National press. There were many stories about how aggressive Snyder was pursuing Cutler and the deal breaker was Jason Campbell, McD wanted Orton.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

People point out its the defense winning games. Well Mcdaniels gets credit for that as well. He is the head coach, in charge of both sides of the ball when it comes down to it.

He was smart enough to know his thing is offense and he wisely lured a 3-4 mastermind with a Superbowl defense under his belt to Denver.

Being a good head coach is a hard job.

Mcdaniels deserves almost all the credit for the 4-0 start. People said he was an egomaniac but I think it was other peoples egos that were the problem. Bus Cook, Jay Cutler, Marshall. He was able to forge a great relationship with Marshall which is a credit to both men. It's not easy to do things like that, men are stubborn mules for the most part.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You're right but things are falling our way for a change. First we get an easy schedule early while our O plays itself into a cohesive team while learning a new system, now we are much more ready to face the better teams like NE & SD. Next we get a Bye at the perfect time we will need a breather after the next two weeks. If Orton and the WRs take the next step we have a great chance to be 6 & 0 or 5 & 1. I have felt all along we will go into the bye 6 & 0 which would be quite an accomplishment.

Shanny's teams were bit by the injury bug for the last few years. Josh comes in and makes the guys hit in TC and emphasizes stretching, I will be watching to see if the injuries diminish because if this team is to make noise this season we must avoid the key injuries.
The thing Mcdaniels said he noticed most was the 15 pounds per player weight drop between start of season and end of season. He thought the players were eating enough calories and he boosted those.

The team is being run totally different. It's really something they are off to such a great start.

Are we going to hang with the mighty Patriots. The darlings of the NFL. The QB in the plastic bubble? Stay tuned Broncos fans!!!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Merlin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He was able to forge a great relationship with Marshall which is a credit to both men.
That is more likely the result of his learning after his initial screw-up in handling their egos....and there is nothing wrong with that. I was initially pissed, because it seemed he was in the mold of Mangini; i.e. does not learn from his mistakes. However, he clearly has shown he is far better at learning, and whatever mistakes he makes, he learns and moves on. You take that attitude with his intelligence and arrogance and you can have the makings of a great coach. The one thing that remains unclear is how they will handle talent evaluation and the draft, I hope Bowlen is right and that was just another learning experience for him.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Confirmed? Not sure but it was heavily discussed in the National press. There were many stories about how aggressive Snyder was pursuing Cutler and the deal breaker was Jason Campbell, McD wanted Orton.
It was never more then a rumor or media speculation. I remember them claiming that McD looked at film of Tampa, Washington, and Chicago but no one knows what was offered. You can spin it however you want to make it sound like Orton was the deal breaker. McDaniels nor anyone in Denver ever said the Redskins offered more but we went with Orton and the lower picks.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,340

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Wrong! Orton was not a throw-in, that trade was made with Chicago because of Orton and better offers (Washington) were turned down because of Orton.
I have been asked 3 times this year, in bars, by fans of other teams, why in the world Denver would trade Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton straight up.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!
 
Oh its true

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 463

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Well, to be fair, if our defense hadn't improved by the leaps and bounds that it had, we could easily be in a much worse situation. If our opponents were scoring like they were last year, would our current offense get the job done? Not likely.
If my aunt had a D!ck she would be my uncle whats your point?
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,738

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

2. Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs appear to be getting worse. LMAO!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Watching a couple of Cheffie games it appears to me that Haley is such an ahole that the players have already turned him off. Playin' for a paycheck, baby!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer
 
lazarus4444's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,238

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I have been asked 3 times this year, in bars, by fans of other teams, why in the world Denver would trade Jay Cutler for Kyle Orton straight up.
lol, sometimes the way people talk around here they really do think it was a straight up trade. We are winning this trade so far by a lot, we raped the bears in this one (barring an orton implosion)...
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker
 
BroncoInSkinland's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
2. Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs appear to be getting worse. LMAO!
See, obviously this writer is a hack, it isn't possible for the Chiefs to get any worse.

http://www.instantrimshot.com/
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,877

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAmbiguous View Post
Orton
3. Kyle Orton, quarterback, Broncos: Yes, this category is a Denver sweep. But what do you want? Every other AFC West team lost by double digits Sunday and the Broncos are 4-0. Orton, believe it or not, is a big reason why Denver is unbeaten.

A throw-in in the Jay Cutler trade with Chicago, Orton is not spectacular. ...
A "throw in"?!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #21
carlosgmz1
Just Drafted
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: california
Posts: 25

Adopt-a-Bronco:
knowshon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i am glad that McDaniels was smart enough to say no to a trade that more than likely would have yielded them a top 5 pick in the 2010 draft, for a lesser trade that got him the QB he knew could execute his offense really well. just imagine, we could have Jason Campbell starting for us at this moment.
Are you being sarcastic cuz I would have been happier had we traded with the redskins. They'll give us higher draft picks and I think jason campbell could be really good with a good team around him
carlosgmz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #22
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,307
Default

The Faiders seem to have quit as well.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
It was never more then a rumor or media speculation. I remember them claiming that McD looked at film of Tampa, Washington, and Chicago but no one knows what was offered. You can spin it however you want to make it sound like Orton was the deal breaker. McDaniels nor anyone in Denver ever said the Redskins offered more but we went with Orton and the lower picks.
There was never anything more than specualtion about the trades, but McDaniels spent a lot of time looking at tape of both Campbell and Luke McCown.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
JJJ
Ring of Famer
 
JJJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Confederation Helvetica
Posts: 2,956

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Melt down mode in SD after that raping by the Steelers. Getting ugly on the Bolt boards.

Keys to the division are there for the taking. But Elvis is going to have ask Rivers for them. Lets see if turns them over.

What happens in your Pats game ahead of the Charger game will bring an interesting psychology to Monday nighter. If you get a beatdown it will breath life in a disoriented Charger team. If you play NE tough you will definitely have a huge edge coming.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i am glad that McDaniels was smart enough to say no to a trade that more than likely would have yielded them a top 5 pick in the 2010 draft, for a lesser trade that got him the QB he knew could execute his offense really well. just imagine, we could have Jason Campbell starting for us at this moment.
Even with Cutler being added to a mediocre 17-15 team over the last 2 years?
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Denver Broncos