The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Williams, Nolan heading back to the "A" list?

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2009 12:48 PM ET

At a time when most league observers are assuming that the 2010 coaching "A" list will consist primarily of men with Super Bowl rings on their fingers, we can't overlook the dynamic that unfolds during every regular season.

In multiple cities, coordinators get hot.

This year, two of the hottest quarter-pole coordinators also are former head coaches.

In New Orleans, Gregg Williams instantly has transformed a previously pathetic Saints defense, triggering over the past two weeks a dramatic shift in the manner in which the team has been winning its football games.

Last year, zero touchdown passes from quarterback Drew Brees in two games would have been presumed to equate to two losses. This year, the Saints still came away with two wins.

As Peter King of SI.com points out, the Saints were 26th in scoring defense last season. To date in 2009, they're seventh.

In Denver, Mike Nolan's defense has allowed only 26 points in four games. Given the quality (or lack thereof) of the roster that he inherited on that side of the ball, the performance is a step above remarkable.

Williams coached the Bills from 2001 through 2003, and Nolan was the man in San Fran from 2005 through seven games of the 2008 season. If they keep it up, they both could get a second chance.

Here's another important angle: Money. With a bad economy, a work stoppage on the horizon, and young (i.e., cheap) coaches doing very well, the salary scale has shifted. So if the Lords of the Rings will be asking for $8 million or more per year, why not consider guys like Williams or Nolan, who'll surely settle for far less?

So, yeah, if the Saints and the Broncos continue to produce surprising results on defense, both of these guys will be in play -- even if they serve only as leverage to get the big-name guys to take a lot less money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...to-the-a-list/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

it will take a few years for nolan to get another gig, but he may get another shot. some guys are just great coordinators though and dont transition to the next level.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
it will take a few years for nolan to get another gig, but he may get another shot. some guys are just great coordinators though and dont transition to the next level.
Norv Turner for example.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Marvin Lewis

Wade Phillips

Eric Mangina

Mike Martz
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hopefully Nolan is happy just running a defense.

No shame in just being a DC you know, especially when the HC in offense guy.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would be surprised to see Nolan get offered an NFL head coaching job soon. Maybe a college coaching job, but usually takes time to get another, especially if you didn't have great success.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Nolan is young, he'll get another chance or 2 at a HC job. but it will be a few years from now most likely. Good Cordinators just dont last that long most times.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I would be surprised to see Nolan get offered an NFL head coaching job soon. Maybe a college coaching job, but usually takes time to get another, especially if you didn't have great success.
tell that to the browns
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Lets hope McD learns from bellicheat and has the other assistant's learn the DC job. If he continues to coach as well as he is he will get offered a HC job. I just hope we can role in a 35 year old assistant and not miss a beat.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I would be surprised to see Nolan get offered an NFL head coaching job soon.
I agree. And the jobs that would open up for him any time soon probably wouldn't be very desirable. Do you think guys like Spagnuolo and Haley are possibly wishing they would have stayed put right about now? The Rams and Chiefs are just awful and neither coach may be around to see success.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i worry about that, because if this defense keeps up at this pace and nearly sets records after the last few years of suck, then he is going to at least get some thought as a possible coaching candidate.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

I know I mentioned it earlier that Nolan's poor track record at SF will prevent him from being offered a HC position this off season but if the Broncos win 1 playoff game this year, he definitely deserves it. I would hate to see him leave so quickly.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I agree. And the jobs that would open up for him any time soon probably wouldn't be very desirable. Do you think guys like Spagnuolo and Haley are possibly wishing they would have stayed put right about now? The Rams and Chiefs are just awful and neither coach may be around to see success.
well this may be true, but these coaches are not inevitable victims of circumstance...McDaniels' and Nolan's success with this defense so far may well be coach killers for other teams...

they basically came in and kept Doom, DJ, and Champ, then built the rest of a defense with free agents and some spot play from rookie draft picks and roster left overs...this thing, from a personnel perspective, was put together in a few months, not a few seasons, and given how pathetic Denver was on defense last season, it's pretty mind boggling...of course what's harder to quantify is the quality of coaching these players are getting that's enabling them to succeed as they are, but the precedent is being made that you can pretty much blow it up and build a very good (ridiculously good so far) defense in one offseason, with no big time FA signings, just mid to low level contracts.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

In a perfect world, Shanahan gets 7 million a year next year letting Bowlen off the hook. Bowlen turns around and pays Nolan "Jason Garrett" money to stay a few more years. I hope we can keep him around.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

I've been a fan of Nolan for many years. I really don't want him to leave Denver. He's just started to turn this defense around, I'd hope he stay the three years and finish what he started.

He may not be cut for headcoach, but as a Def-Cord. Nolan is a great one!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
I've been a fan of Nolan for many years. I really don't want him to leave Denver. He's just started to turn this defense around, I'd hope he stay the three years and finish what he started.

He may not be cut for headcoach, but as a Def-Cord. Nolan is a great one!
Stranger things have happened. Dick LeBeau has been the Steelers DC for years, after he realized he wasn't cut out for a head job.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #17
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Lets hope McD learns from bellicheat and has the other assistant's learn the DC job.
That's Papa Hoodie to you... Didn't you get the memo?
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Premier-Ace55
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If he does it would be sad but i would be happy for him he would deserve it for what he's doing. I also trust Josh though I belive he would be able to get another good coach in I have heard good things about Tom Martindale also. Plus I still think we could improve with personell you just don't want to lose all the position coaches as well.
Premier-Ace55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

nolan was NOT a good HC in SF, it will take more than 2 years for that to wear away, if he has 2 good years here, i fully expect him to get another shot.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Stranger things have happened. Dick LeBeau has been the Steelers DC for years, after he realized he wasn't cut out for a head job.
Great example here of a guy who accepted that he was an all world DC but not a very good HC.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is Nolan's mindset as well. His pro coaching career really got its first big start with the Broncos and if I recall he still has ties to Denver. It'd take a pretty sweetheart offer for him to leave I would think, since if it doesn't work out for him there is little chance we'd have his DC job open for him a few years down the road.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Lets hope McD learns from bellicheat and has the other assistant's learn the DC job. If he continues to coach as well as he is he will get offered a HC job. I just hope we can role in a 35 year old assistant and not miss a beat.
This
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Great potential problem to have. Wish Nolan would just be a Monte Kiffin, Joe Johnson, or Joe Collier type that just likes coaching defense.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Marvin Lewis

Wade Phillips

Eric Mangina

Mike Martz
Good list.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #24
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i worry about that, because if this defense keeps up at this pace and nearly sets records after the last few years of suck, then he is going to at least get some thought as a possible coaching candidate.
Williams got none after his fiasco in Buffalo, despite transforming DC defense when he first arrived. In fact, DC's owner preferred to pay Williams off and not offer him a HCing gig after Gibbs retired. It will take a while before people forget about SF, especially since they they started playing much better a short while after he left.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

You can never tell. Look how long it took for Kubs to get a HC gig. Look at how long it took Wade to get "another" HC gig after his first with us.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote