The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default What's wrong with Royal?

I thought he would be the one guy that benefited most from this new offense, but he has done nothing of note so far.

He can't get open, and when the ball gets thrown to him and he misses it he looks to the ref for a call and then throws a hissy fit. (not his style I thought)

So again, what is wrong with him? Is he to stupid for this offense? Is he sick?

What is the deal!
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I thought he would be the one guy that benefited most from this new offense, but he has done nothing of note so far.

He can't get open, and when the ball gets thrown to him and he misses it he looks to the ref for a call and then throws a hissy fit. (not his style I thought)

What is the deal!
He's not a secret anymore. Defenses know how to game plan for him. He's a smaller WR that utilizes his speed which really helped him last year. However, now that nfl teams have film on him, they know how to match up against him.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:

What is the deal!
When reading the scouting report on him last year, I saw that he sometimes has trouble creating separation despite great upper body strength, and that he's easy to frustrate if he's unable to create that separation.

Even though I didn't really see that last year, it seems as though it's happening this year. Also, he seems slow to me for some reason... not sure if he lost some explosiveness or what's up.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

What is the deal!
I am pretty surprised about this too. He doesn't really seem to be getting any separation at all, which he was great at last year.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

They threw the quick WR Screen to him yesterday and the blocking was set up beautifully for him... then he went outside instead of following the blocking and was held for a short gain. During camp he was lighting that play up. He would get behind his blockers and always get a nice gain on that play. I think part of the problem is he is trying to do too much with limited opportunities. He's pushing too hard and yes, he has been getting roughed up quite a bit. McD is going to have to figure out how to best use him... pretty soon opposing defenses are going to game plan more for Marshall and he'll benefit from that.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
He's not a secret anymore. Defenses know how to game plan for him. He's a smaller WR that utilizes his speed which really helped him last year. However, now that nfl teams have film on him, they know how to match up against him.
Yea, without looking... I'd imagine that Eddie did more of his damage early last season than late. But, he was still a reliable part of our offense all season.

I think we've got to find a way to get him open, or in space. The routes I see him running right now seem to all wind up with guys blanketed all over him.
I know he's a good route runner. I'm not sure why he's starting so slowly.

I still believe he'll be an integral part of the offense, in the Welker/Harrison mold. McDaniels was a big fan of his coming in... I think we'll just have to be patient.

For what it's worth, he made a very important catch yesterday.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

He is ****ing up my fantasy team.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
When reading the scouting report on him last year, I saw that he sometimes has trouble creating separation despite great upper body strength, and that he's easy to frustrate if he's unable to create that separation.

Even though I didn't really see that last year, it seems as though it's happening this year. Also, he seems slow to me for some reason... not sure if he lost some explosiveness or what's up.
Nagging minor injury maybe? Seems like a completely different guy.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
jmz313
Ring of Famer

i just think the team hasnt found its rythmn much this season. he'll come around. now that marshall is back, there is more that is needed to be covered on teh outside.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

What's wrong with Royal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by bronco militia; 10-05-2009 at 12:04 PM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
BroncoFiend
Ring of Famer

The enemy's gate is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
I have a bunch of byes this week so I had to cut him, I may regret it later but he is just not getting it done
BroncoFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
What's wrong with Royal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nail, Hammer, Head.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
This is the answer. Eddie's role from the get go this year was ****ing up Bob's fantasy team. Once Bob benches him, he'll be back to his old self. McDaniels is a genius.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I wonder what they call a quarter-pounder in Europe.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The guy really should be wes welker in this offense, but he doesn't seem to have the mindset and/or skills yet to be a possession guy. Gaffney seems to know what he's doing, finding seams and bubbles, sitting down, and getting 12-15 yards. I think Royal's just sorta tweening it, which won't work in this offense. He can't be Randy Moss--too small. He's not Welker yet--not polished or intuitive enough. He's a lot like Galloway is in NE's system--unproductive.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOSKIE!!! View Post
pretty soon opposing defenses are going to game plan more for Marshall and he'll benefit from that.
I think it is this. BM hasn't been a large part of the offense yet, and Royal is also paying the price.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It seems to this point, they have Royal running mostly short passing routes where he just sits and waits for the pass. Which to me, takes away his speed so even if he catches the pass, it still takes time to build up speed. Routes where he's on the move seem like the ideal. Maybe they have been doing that with him, but I don't think enough.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

We're not stretching the field because Orton hasn't been looking deep. That changed a little bit yesterday and hopefully Orton knows he has a receiver in Marshall that can make plays on less than perfect deep balls. That starts happening then folks will have to account for BMarsh a little more and have to ease the pressure elsewhere which should free up either Gaffney or Royal. Once Sheffler starts working deep middle this thing will be on like Barry and Lavon.

In short, a little sophomore slump for Royal that should be addressed as the playbook opens up throughout the season.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
Muddled
Seasoned Veteran

passing through

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Foxworth

I noticed him beginning to show real signs of frustration yesterday, and by now I'm beginning to really worry about him too. He did have that one clutch catch on the last drive though
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
broncowill
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

royal never runs anything past 10 yards so the defense always plays tight coverage which is hard to get seperation whith 10 yard routes, also Kyle Orton seems a little afraid to through it to receivers unless they are wide open. if they are not wide open he always tries to be extra careful and make it nearly impossible for the reciever to catch it.
broncowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
We're not stretching the field because Orton hasn't been looking deep. That changed a little bit yesterday and hopefully Orton knows he has a receiver in Marshall that can make plays on less than perfect deep balls. That starts happening then folks will have to account for BMarsh a little more and have to ease the pressure elsewhere which should free up either Gaffney or Royal. Once Sheffler starts working deep middle this thing will be on like Barry and Lavon.

In short, a little sophomore slump for Royal that should be addressed as the playbook opens up throughout the season.
This.

Marshall was a huge part of the gameplan last year, constantly drawing double coverage and freeing up Royal. Just give it time, Royal will come through for this team.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #22
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Royal is either going thru a sophmore slump or Orton erratic-play it safe-don't force any throws is having a profound negative effect of Royals 2nd season. QB's with big arms such as Ryan, Brees, Manning, Flacco, Farve, etc would be better able to utilize Royal.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I know he's a good route runner. I'm not sure why he's starting so slowly.
Honestly, from what I've seen, he's not running routes as well as he should. He can still come out of his breaks very, very well. He can get open in a flash. But I don't see him using his routes to get open as well as Stokely does, for instance. I'd even say that Gaffney runs better routes. I haven't broken down game film all year like some of the posters here do, and I haven't even been able to watch every game. But from what I've seen his timing is a tad off and he's breaking into coverage instead of away from it sometimes.

I know it's an unpopular idea but Cutler was able to gun the ball in there whenever Royal flashed open. Orton either can't or won't. I'm hoping Royal just keeps progressing because I do think he should develop into a remarkable WR. I think he will.

When he was drafted I pegged him as either a #2 or a #3 WR. Last year he looked more like a #1/#2 guy. But that's with great Pass Pro by the line, a gunslinger QB and being bracket by outstanding WR's at #1 and #3. I think he'll get there. I think this O is a work in progress, and it may not hit full stride until the last quarter of the year. Thankfully, with our D, looks like those games will be meaningful.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

He's probably not getting separation the way he did last year. Plus, Orton is more conservative in his throws. Add those two together and you get less receptions for Royal.

He's still a big play WR and he'll get his opportunities..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
Crashman44b
"Tough aint enough"

"on the gas and in your @#$"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Buckhalter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
What's wrong with Royal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Plus +1. Meet the new Trent Dilfer.