The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Throw the stats away.

First let me start by saying please don't make this a rip on Orton thread.

Is he good enough to take us to the dance??

If you look at his stats he has been spot on and today in the forth quarter he played very well. He even made a few throws that impressed me. However the first 3 quarters were not so good.

We have the Defense to do it. We have the WR's to do it. Our running game has been outstanding.

Also if you don't think he has it, what do you do about it? Who do you put in? Is simms any better?
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Put in Simms? are you ****ing kidding me? Newsflash we're 4-0!
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Put in Simms? are you ****ing kidding me? Newsflash we're 4-0!
I was not saying put simms in. I was saying if you don't think he has what it takes, then what do you do. What are out options?

I like that we are winning and maybe I am wrong but if you throw the stats out he does not look that good. He was off so bad in the first half, he could have cost us the game.

I am starting to like Orton but I don't think he is good enough to take us to the dance. However maybe our D is?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Trent Dilfer won a superbowl.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Trent Dilfer won a superbowl.
You have a great point. I will admit Orton is way better then Dilfer and I think Our D may be better then Baltimore was back then.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

All I will say about Orton is don't underestimate the value of his being a sensible game manager who doesn't make too many stupid mistakes. Especially while we have this defense.

Yes, his early-game performance was pretty bad, and had me wondering if he was the guy or not, and I also accept that maybe the stats (which look good right now) don't tell the whole story, but he got better as the game wore on - can he also get better as the season goes on? There's a more than reasonable chance that he can.

One thing I noticed in the game is that he still seems to be struggling with the extra time he has, and seems to over-think when he has time to think. I thought that good, bad or indifferent he would be the classic pocket-passer but at this point, despite his relative lack of mobility he looks more like Jake Plummer (Plummer without the INTs - the 2005 vintage) in that he executes the play-action well and seems to make better throws when he's on the run or doing quick-drop type stuff drop. I don't know enough about playing the QB position to know if he can learn to be less hesitant but I certainly think it will be interesting to see how that develops as the season progresses. Don't forget this remains a very complex offense so hoping that the passing game in general will be more in-sync in the last 8 games than it is in the first is not entirely unrealistic....

Also, I don't think you even think about benching your starting QB while you're winning like this. Yes, if we start losing games becuase he can't make the key throws or find the open guy then maybe, but not winning by as much as you'd like is not the same as losing......
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
First let me start by saying please don't make this a rip on Orton thread.

Is he good enough to take us to the dance??

If you look at his stats he has been spot on and today in the forth quarter he played very well. He even made a few throws that impressed me. However the first 3 quarters were not so good.

We have the Defense to do it. We have the WR's to do it. Our running game has been outstanding.

Also if you don't think he has it, what do you do about it? Who do you put in? Is simms any better?
he has 5 TDs and 0 INTs, he is playing lights out late in games when it matters most, he does NOT lose at home, he doesn't put the team into bad situations.

and how was he so terrible the 1st 3 quarters. he wasn't lighting it up, but he finished 20-29 passing and was a little off target, every QB has the occasional off week. this is the 1st time he has been playing without the extra pad on his knuckle and even in a game where he wasn't at his best, he didn't screw the team into ****ty situations . over 60% completion rate and no turnovers is a damn good day regardless of how it looked, plus he was under a lot of pressure today. Dallas D played a pretty good game.

Orton is capable of leading us to the big game and can lead this team to victory. i am very comfortable with him as our QB for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 10-05-2009 at 01:53 AM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
All I will say about Orton is don't underestimate the value of his being a sensible game manager who doesn't make too many stupid mistakes. Especially while we have this defense.

Yes, his early-game performance was pretty bad, and had me wondering if he was the guy or not, and I also accept that maybe the stats (which look good right now) don't tell the whole story, but he got better as the game wore on - can he also get better as the season goes on? There's a more than reasonable chance that he can.

One thing I noticed in the game is that he still seems to be struggling with the extra time he has, and seems to over-think when he has time to think. I thought that good, bad or indifferent he would be the classic pocket-passer but at this point, despite his relative lack of mobility he looks more like Jake Plummer (Plummer without the INTs - the 2005 vintage) in that he executes the play-action well and seems to make better throws when he's on the run or doing quick-drop type stuff drop. I don't know enough about playing the QB position to know if he can learn to be less hesitant but I certainly think it will be interesting to see how that develops as the season progresses. Don't forget this remains a very complex offense so hoping that the passing game in general will be more in-sync in the last 8 games than it is in the first is not entirely unrealistic....

Also, I don't think you even think about benching your starting QB while you're winning like this. Yes, if we start losing games becuase he can't make the key throws or find the open guy then maybe, but not winning by as much as you'd like is not the same as losing......
his pocket awareness is very heightened due to playing in Chicago where he had maybe 2 seconds to get the ball, make his read and get the ball out of his hands. in Denver where he has time he is still getting used to not having to worry about getting killed with the ball in his hands.

give the guy a little more time to get used to the level of protection he has and his hesitancy will begin to disipate.

he is playing great for us, and is getting better. once the offense is all on the same page and everyone is up to speed and the unit is cohesive we will see what the offense is capable of and Orton will begin to look like a pro bowler
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Kyle Orton started off 3 of 9...and finished with 17 completions in his next 20 attempts.

He's 4-0 as our starter which BTW is something we haven't seen since Elway if memory serves me right ( a 4-0 start that is)...and he's not turned the ball over via INT or fumble yet.

...and what does that get him, another thread where the usual suspects will come to bash him.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The TD to Moreno was damn near a pick six the other way.
Orton really needs to step it up because sooner or later his misfires are going to hurt.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
BleedingOrange
Pro Bowler

Come back with your shield or on it

We went 4-0 in 2003.
BleedingOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He needs to improve some aspects of his game, I'm hoping the glove has been hindering him a bit.

As that comes off and he gets more comfortable in the offense, hopefully he'll be able to move the ball more consistently.

If we're seeing him at his best right now then no, I don't think this is good enough to go all the way with.

The D will stay good IMO, but it won't stay as good as it has been the first 4 games. If Romo played well yesterday we'd have lost, good as our D was he missed some very makeable throws and that pick by Champ was due to miscommunication more than a great D play. (The pick itself by Champ was amazing, but it should never have been possible.)

The most encouraging thing is that he seems to be improving during the course of the game, and seems to be playing his best football at the end of games. That's a massive aspect of being a good QB.

If he can limit mistakes and be clutch in the 4th quarter, then he's got a lot going in his favour.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

I think people here forget that Cutler did throw incomplete passes when he was in Denver. Orton is playing very well (7th rated QB in the entire NFL), and MUCH better than anyone here expected.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

We don't need a game manager. We need a QB!

Look, had Romo been ON in this game, like NOT missing receivers and throws he should've completed that our defense didn't have anything to do with, we would be collecting signatures to ship Orton's ass out of town on a rail at this moment...

Thanks God for a great defense, and for lady luck for sticking around
Orton sucks!
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #15
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragster69 View Post

Look, had Romo been ON in this game, like NOT missing receivers and throws he should've completed that our defense didn't have anything to do with, we would be collecting signatures to ship Orton's ass out of town on a rail at this moment...

Orton sucks!
Douchebag
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
The TD to Moreno was damn near a pick six the other way.
Orton really needs to step it up because sooner or later his misfires are going to hurt.
Damn good point
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Kyle Orton started off 3 of 9...and finished with 17 completions in his next 20 attempts.

He's 4-0 as our starter which BTW is something we haven't seen since Elway if memory serves me right ( a 4-0 start that is)...and he's not turned the ball over via INT or fumble yet.

...and what does that get him, another thread where the usual suspects will come to bash him.
What da' hell has he done?
Nothing!
That's about the only contribution he has going for him, the fact that he has been irrelevant in 3 of our 4 wins
Oh, but he has not thrown any INT!
That's about the only thing that he has done. No INT, and I hope he keeps doing NOTHING, so he won't lose games for us

I concede he has something to do with Marshall getting the ball for the winning TD, but aside from that, please tell me what is it that Orton has done that you're willing to give him credit for being 4-0?
What were you saying in the first 3 quarters of his performance yesterday?
I'll tell you what I was saying, THAT's who I thought he was, and that's what Orton is. An incapable average and mediocre QB
Would we be 4-0 with a middle of the pack defense and Orton at QB?
NO!
Our defense is tops in the NFL in most categories. That's the type of defense we would need to have to compensate for having a QB that sucks big time...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #18
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

Orton sucks!
I sure hope they fix this problem because Brady will hit those throws Romo missed some wide open wr's but PRESSURE had nothing to do with it .................right
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #19
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Only one stat matters. 4-0
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #20
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I sure hope they fix this problem because Brady will hit those throws Romo missed some wide open wr's but PRESSURE had nothing to do with it .................right
Oh no he was only sacked five times

pressure had NOTHING to do with Romo's performance today, he was just off, we really got lucky to catch him at such a bad time.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #21
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I give our defense credit, don't get me wrong. I'm talking about the times he missed when he had all day to throw
You saw the game, right?
Why do you ask?
You know what I mean...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Douchebag
That's the most intelligent thing you've ever posted that I can recall!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #23
Broncofan_H
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
I give our defense credit, don't get me wrong. I'm talking about the times he missed when he had all day to throw
You saw the game, right?
Why do you ask?
You know what I mean...
Perhaps it was those times when nobody was open downfield to throw it to?

But I was at the game, so maybe they showed something different on TV. I have yet to watch the game again.

Boy, we sure are lucky that Romo was bad just because. Maybe Jessica was in attendance?

Broncofan_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #24
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
You saw the game, right?
Why do you ask?
You know what I mean...
When you knock a guy around, he gets rattled, he doesn't get into a rhythm. What don't you understand?
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #25
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Orton isn't 'taking' us anywhere, man. There are 10 other guys on that offense that take their roles seriously, and contribute as much as, or even more than Orton. If anyone 'takes us to the big blah blah..', it's gonna be 22 guys, not Orton. Every facet of the offense is predicated on people doing their jobs. The passing game relies on a threat of the run. The run game relies on a threat of our wr's ability to gash the defense and ALL of it relies on penalties and turnovers kept to a minimum. That and getting off the field on 3rd down and prolonging our own offensive drives to keep our D fresh.

That is where we need to improve. Penalties were a killer yesterday and Moreno put the ball on the grass right after half, which could've been disastrous. The offense will be called on to score more than 30 at some point. They'll be up to the task.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote