The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
dragondawg
All Pro

Default Cowboys' QB Romo miscalculates regarding Broncos' Champ Bailey

Romo tests Denver's top cornerback, fails to make passing grade
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post

Sometimes, it can get boring being Champ Bailey.

Because he had 43 interceptions heading into Sunday's game and a knack for making open-field tackles, opposing quarterbacks usually look the other way.

Not Tony Romo.

Maybe Romo thought Bailey, now 31, was a step slower than he used to be, or he thought Bailey couldn't catch like he used to, because Bailey had not picked off a pass since the second game of last season. Give Romo credit for his confidence, but in this case, Romo was wrong.

On the final two plays of Sunday's game, on third and fourth down from Denver's 2-yard line, Romo fired passes intended for receiver Sam Hurd. Both times, Bailey was there to swat the ball to the ground.

"Tony Romo has confidence in his arm, but we have confidence in our guy. We'll take that matchup every single time. Every single time," cornerback Andre Goodman said.

On the final fourth-down play, with five seconds remaining on the clock, Bailey clung tight to Hurd as the Broncos sent an all-out blitz at Romo.

In the end zone, Bailey got his right arm around Hurd's back and outstretched his left hand in front of Hurd's body to knock the ball to the ground and seal Denver's 17-10 victory.

Romo said the Cowboys' offense got the coverage it wanted on the final play: their receiver in single coverage.

It was exactly the scenario Bailey wanted too.

"Oh, I welcome it. I love it. That's the only way I'm going to make plays. If they don't throw at me, I can't make plays," Bailey said. "It was me and him. (Hurd) had a two-way go, so I knew, just stay inside and make (Romo) make the hard throw."

By the fourth quarter, Bailey was expecting Romo to come after him. The Cowboys' only touchdown, in the first quarter, was set up by Roy Williams' 14-yard catch at the 2-yard line just over Bailey's head. Romo threw to Bailey's side of the field at least three more times before halftime.

"I don't think I've been tested like that in a long time, if ever," Bailey said.

Romo continued to throw in Bailey's direction to start the third quarter, trying to hit Miles Austin on the sideline deep in Denver territory. Austin was expecting the pass inside, but Romo threw it over Austin's outside shoulder, and Bailey wasn't fooled.

Bailey made the interception with his arms outstretched at the 3-yard line, and cradled the ball to his chest as he rolled to the ground before getting up and running 3 yards. It was Bailey's first interception since Sept. 14, 2008. He finished with eight solo tackles and four pass breakups.

"I remember saying, 'One of the best cornerbacks in history, and you choose to throw the ball on his side?' " linebacker D.J. Williams said. "It really didn't make sense to me."

The interception kept Dallas from scoring after Denver running back Knowshon Moreno's fumble to open the third quarter. It was the second week in the row the Broncos' defense has followed up an offensive turnover with a takeaway.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Bailey on the move

Champ Bailey's third-quarter interception of Dallas' Tony Romo moved the cornerback up the Broncos' list of all-time interception leaders and to No. 2 in the NFL since he entered the league in 1999:

Most career interceptions in Broncos history:

INT Yds Avg TD

1. Steve Foley, 1976-86 44 622 14.1 1
2. Goose Gonsoulin, 1960-66 43 542 12.6 2
3. Billy Thompson, 1969-81 40 784 19.6 3
4. Tyrone Braxton, 1987-99* 34 614 18.1 4
5. Mike Harden, 1980-88 33 643 19.5 4
6. Dennis Smith, 1981-94 30 431 14.4 0
7. Champ Bailey, 2004-present 26 307 11.8 3
7. Louis Wright, 1975-86 26 360 13.8 1

Most interceptions in the NFL since 1999:

1. Darren Sharper, N.O./Min./G.B. 55
2. Champ Bailey, Den./Was. 44
2. Ed Reed, Bal. 44
4. Dre Bly, S.F./Den./Det./St.L. 40
5. Tory James, N.E./Cin./Oak./Den. 37

Note: Tyrone Braxton didn't play with Denver in 1994.

Source: Broncos

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13485816
dragondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm trying to come up with a good joke about this for my Cowboy friends... Something to get the point across at how stupid Romo is for CONTINUING to throw towards Champ Bailey.

Any thoughts...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

just say.... "remember that one time when Romo kept throwing it at Champ to try to win the game, and it failed every time and the cowboys lost?....yeah...that was funny"

It'll make me laugh

edit: do it like chris farley in SNL, interviewing Jeff Daniels
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm trying to come up with a good joke about this for my Cowboy friends... Something to get the point across at how stupid Romo is for CONTINUING to throw towards Champ Bailey.

Any thoughts...

Q: Whats the difference between having TO and Tony Romo?

A: TO actually knows what its like to beat Champ Bailey.

Its a reference to when TO was with the Eagles and had that 90 something pass play. Its not totally accurate but it doesnt matter. The point is to get under their skin.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Fine by me. Hope more teams employ this strategery of "testing" Champ Bailey.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by1cdqkgjDA
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Tyrone Braxton was a scrappy player who just had a nose for the ball. He just was always around the ball.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Wow Steve Foley had 44 interceptions in a 10 year span. What a ball hawk. He's got to be the most underrated Denver defensive player ever.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

DS 49 never scored a TD? Wow.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Q: Whats the difference between having TO and Tony Romo?

A: TO actually knows what its like to beat Champ Bailey.

Its a reference to when TO was with the Eagles and had that 90 something pass play. Its not totally accurate but it doesnt matter. The point is to get under their skin.
Champ had a hurt hammy that game and, if you go back and watch that play, you'll see clearly that Champ wasn't 100%...heck, he wasn't 75% in that game.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #11
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

I thought Champ was near the top of all time Broncos interception leaders. That is just a testament to some of the defensive players Elway had years ago.

I hope we can sign Champ. Something tells me McD and Nolan might focus $$ resources on the front seven rather than the secondary in coming years.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Champ had a hurt hammy that game and, if you go back and watch that play, you'll see clearly that Champ wasn't 100%...heck, he wasn't 75% in that game.
None of that matters. The whole point is to needle Dallas fans and not to provide full disclosure.

Last edited by lex; 10-05-2009 at 08:56 AM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Well, the teams that think they are good are gonna test Champ. Testing him from the one with the game on the line, though, is not what I would do. Pretty dumb, actually. IIRC, they had Witten on an LB I think on the left side. Actually, Dallas' O coaching staff/players were kind of dumb often. Didn't they have something like 1:50 and two timeouts before the half and pissed it away, didn't even get to midfield?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

Any thoughts...
just ask them why does Romo throw int's?

because he isn't Orton
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Wow Steve Foley had 44 interceptions in a 10 year span. What a ball hawk. He's got to be the most underrated Denver defensive player ever.
Denver's had some top-notch DB's over the years, just haven't seen many since 1995 or so. I'm hopeful Champ gets a new contract and these rookie DB's step up so the tradition can be renewed.

Not to slight Hill, Goodman, Dawkins, they're pretty good. But they're getting up there in age, so Denver will need these young DB's to step up or find some that can.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
I wonder if some coaches in the league have been thinking what some were on this board- that Champ has lost a step and isn't the same he once was
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeskey View Post
I wonder if some coaches in the league have been thinking what some were on this board- that Champ has lost a step and isn't the same he once was
Well they have their answer...
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
ikiru
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Ok huddle up boys, I have a play that would tie us up and catapult us to victory over the donks!"

"What da play boss?"

"We are going to isolate Sam Hurd on Champ Bailey! They will never expect it. All Sam has to do is beat Champ Bailey! Break!"

(Champ breaks up the pass...Sam Hurd is crying like a schoolgirl...4th down)

"What now boss?"

"Ok, forget that last play, here is a better play...We are going to isolate Sam Hurd on Champ Bailey! They will never expect it. All Sam has to do is beat Champ Bailey! Break!"

(Champ breaks up pass...Romo is looking like Jessica just dumped him...Wade is wondering what kind of sandwich he wants to eat for dinner...Jerry Jones is looking for Shanny's business card...Sam Hurd is crying like a schoolgirl...turnover on downs)
ikiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

I heard a stat yesterday (can't remember where) that the Cowboys threw at Bailey 16 times during the game. 16 times! If that is true, Bailey probably got a half of a season of work yesterday. Just amazing that they would do that, especially on the final two plays.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #20
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I watched this game with a friend that is a Cowboys fan. I laughed all day about them throwing at Bailey so much. I don't think anyone in the world will ever understand throwing at him twice with the game on the line. He now wants his entire coaching staff fired and is starting to hate Romo. Although, he wants Shanny so he has wanted the coach fired.

I think Romo is a lot better than what he is showing this year. The play calling and game plans have been horrible. The fact that throwing at Bailey was a big part of their game plan, only made me think my theory is correct. Romo will be good again once they get better coaching.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

Since no one else has said it....ED REED, we could have drafted Ed Reed?
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote