The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Drek
Ring of Famer

Default HD Antennas and free HD Football

After talking with some guys at work its become very clear to me that a lot of people don't know just how much free over the air HD programming they have at their disposal, and for a very modest price. This is particularly applicable for football fans, since the majority of NFL and college games are carried on the basic networks of Fox, CBS, NBC, and ABC, which make up pretty much every region's backbone of over the air programming (along with PBS).

For all of about $60 and a Saturday morning I'm picking up Fox, CBS (2 channels), NBC (2 channels), PBS (4 channels), ABC, My46, theCW, and the local independent station (2 channels). All it took was a cheap directional antenna off monoprice (about $30, slightly larger than a paperback novel), some quality quad shielded coax, and my old brunton (compass). Five minutes on TVfool.com and I had my angle from magnetic north to aim for, and just a couple hours later I had crystal clear digital tv for free over the air.

This isn't something that you need to live in a city to make use of either. I'm over 30 miles (direct line, about 50 by highway) at closest to the towers I'm picking up. I'm even getting a second PBS station (basically the same programming) from the directionally opposite city about 60 miles southeast.

Excellent alternative for those of us stuck within the regions of a cable monopoly. Nothing quite like free HD, and over the air isn't as bandwidth restricted as satellite or cable, so the picture is often even superior to what you'd have to pay additional money for with those services.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Best customer service?
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

I bought a new 32" LCD Samsung for my upstairs bedroom, it has a built in tuner. I get Locals from Sioux City and Sioux Falls so basically I get 2 ABC's, 2 FOX, 2 NBC, and it is really nice HD crisp channels.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
After talking with some guys at work its become very clear to me that a lot of people don't know just how much free over the air HD programming they have at their disposal, and for a very modest price. This is particularly applicable for football fans, since the majority of NFL and college games are carried on the basic networks of Fox, CBS, NBC, and ABC, which make up pretty much every region's backbone of over the air programming (along with PBS).

For all of about $60 and a Saturday morning I'm picking up Fox, CBS (2 channels), NBC (2 channels), PBS (4 channels), ABC, My46, theCW, and the local independent station (2 channels). All it took was a cheap directional antenna off monoprice (about $30, slightly larger than a paperback novel), some quality quad shielded coax, and my old brunton (compass). Five minutes on TVfool.com and I had my angle from magnetic north to aim for, and just a couple hours later I had crystal clear digital tv for free over the air.

This isn't something that you need to live in a city to make use of either. I'm over 30 miles (direct line, about 50 by highway) at closest to the towers I'm picking up. I'm even getting a second PBS station (basically the same programming) from the directionally opposite city about 60 miles southeast.

Excellent alternative for those of us stuck within the regions of a cable monopoly. Nothing quite like free HD, and over the air isn't as bandwidth restricted as satellite or cable, so the picture is often even superior to what you'd have to pay additional money for with those services.
Thanks for that info ... my stupid monopolistic cable company is Broadstripe, and they filed for bankruptcy earlier this year.

Very few HD channels, maybe 6 or 8 total. No HBO HD, bad cable boxes, cs closed on weekends, no NFLN, it's a real mess.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

I'm too far into the boonies to pickup HD OTA (over the air). I tried. I put up on the roof a 7' VHF tuned antenna (most of the HD in this area fall in the VHF channel 7-13 range). No go. So, I tried a larger, 10' or 12' VHF tuned antenna, and then even added an amplifier. No Joy.

My primary goal was to get a single HD channel about 50 miles away that I didn't have a satellite waiver. However, while I could pick it up at certain times, I couldn't get it consistently, because of some high ground between me and the antenna.

Anyway, for those that have a DirecTV DVR, if you add an HD antenna, the channels you pickup will integrate into your DirecTV guide and you can record shows on the over the air networks on your DVR, just like you do DirecTV channels.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
gobroncos313
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The nfl needs to fix their viewing. I live in MO, the KC market and get the KC locals (that's all they will let me get since our govt supports monopolies otherwise I could get the Denver locals and never miss a second of the broncos). So I pay a lot of money for sunday ticket to watch the broncos. Then come Sunday at 3 the Denver game is blacked out, which I pay a lot of money to see. We'll guess what it is blacked out on Sunday Ticket because the freaking local KC affiliate is showing the Broncos game which they do about 70% of the time. But guess what I can't see some of the first quarter of the Broncos game because the freaking chiefs game runs late or is in OT. It pisses me off to no end.
gobroncos313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobroncos313 View Post
The nfl needs to fix their viewing. I live in MO, the KC market and get the KC locals (that's all they will let me get since our govt supports monopolies otherwise I could get the Denver locals and never miss a second of the broncos). So I pay a lot of money for sunday ticket to watch the broncos. Then come Sunday at 3 the Denver game is blacked out, which I pay a lot of money to see. We'll guess what it is blacked out on Sunday Ticket because the freaking local KC affiliate is showing the Broncos game which they do about 70% of the time. But guess what I can't see some of the first quarter of the Broncos game because the freaking chiefs game runs late or is in OT. It pisses me off to no end.
I had that happen a couple of years ago when i had NHL center ice. The Avs were playing the Wild in the PLAYOFFS and the game wasn't on Center Ice or Fox Sports Net North or Versus...not sure why at least one of them didn't show the game...i think the game was suppose to be on VS. I was PISSED!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote