The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default General Hockey Thread 2009/2010

Well the Avs won on Sakic night 5-2, I don't see many other wins this year, but hey, a lot of people said that about the Broncos too...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

From an outsider's perspective (Devils fan) the Avs looked pretty good. They're very fast and very good with the puck. I think they'll be in the 6-10 range in the West. Duchene looks awesome. Reminds me of Parise.

Devils-Flyers tomorrow
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Any die hard Avs fan (guess we're not a large bunch) had to get chills watching the game last night. Not just because of Joe Sakic night, but for the glimpses of the future.

The obvious one of course was Duchene. I really didn't expect much from him this year... making the jump from juniors straight to the NHL at the age of 18 is very tough. Only a handful of very special players have ever been able to do that and look like they belong. In the 1st period he looked like what I'd expect him to look like... just trying to get accustomed to the speed and physicality of the NHL game. But by the end of the 2nd I was blown away. That penalty killing shift near the end of the 2nd was a thing of beauty. Had a ten year veteran had a shift like that it would have been remarkable, but for an 18 year old playing his first game, killing a penalty against a stacked team like the Sharks? Wow...

I think the Avs will be better than the most common prognostications (which is simply to say, they won't be the worst team in the league). Most people don't understand how much lousy coaching and injuries had to do with last years results. I wasn't a fan of the Sacco hire but I was willing to give him a chance, and I like what I saw last night. I can't remember the team playing that hard at any time during either of Granato's stints.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

The Flyers are going to make some noise this season, if they can stay healthy. 26 something blocked shots against the Canes tonight in front of a sold out RBC center crowd, with some very impressive Goaltending from Emery. I have to say its a shame Emery got run out of Ottawa because of their raging media outlets, the kid has some serious talent. The Flyers are going to be a defensive power house in the East this season, with a great group of Forwards that can score and play both ways.

All of this coming from a Canes fan, needless to say I was very impressed with the Flyers tonight.

The Canes gave up a lot of chances they should have capitalized on, but they get a chance to rebound against the Bruins tonight. Joni Pitkanen being out really hurt our lateral puck movement, he should be back in a few days. With Pitkanens return I expect the Canes to really come into form and show why they were a contender in the East last season.

My ten cents from opening night.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings begin their season tonight...

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

It's only been two games but the 2009-10 Avs are showing more energy and are far more entertaining than we've seen in the last 5 years -- a really enjoyable style of play. Plus excellent work in the net.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeckbeard View Post
From an outsider's perspective (Devils fan) the Avs looked pretty good. They're very fast and very good with the puck. I think they'll be in the 6-10 range in the West. Duchene looks awesome. Reminds me of Parise.

Devils-Flyers tomorrow

really really early but damn! i agree about the avs after todays beatdown of the nucks hopefully they are for real and i thought the goalie dept was in big trouble this season but things can change real fast ( fingers crossed)
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
The Flyers are going to make some noise this season, if they can stay healthy. 26 something blocked shots against the Canes tonight in front of a sold out RBC center crowd, with some very impressive Goaltending from Emery. I have to say its a shame Emery got run out of Ottawa because of their raging media outlets, the kid has some serious talent. The Flyers are going to be a defensive power house in the East this season, with a great group of Forwards that can score and play both ways.

All of this coming from a Canes fan, needless to say I was very impressed with the Flyers tonight.
I like what I'm hearing...GO FLYERS!!
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm a big Av's fan! Go Av's!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Just classic

Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm a big Av's fan! Go Av's!
Same here...a good friend was at the Sakic jersey retirement game and today's game. Flew up there from Phoenix. I told him before the season started that if we can stay healthy and get solid goaltending from Anderson...92% save average and like 2.30 goals agaisnt..we have a shot at making the playoffs. Still early but beating a stacked team like San Jose at any point in the season 5-2 is impressive. We've beat two playoff teams from last year to start the season...not bad!!

Here's to a injury free season and to some goaltending we haven't seen since Roy!!

GO AVS!!!

Edit: Wings lost there first two games...only way this week gets better is if the Broncs beat Dallas tomorrow!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Same here...a good friend was at the Sakic jersey retirement game and today's game. Flew up there from Phoenix. I told him before the season started that if we can stay healthy and get solid goaltending from Anderson...92% save average and like 2.30 goals agaisnt..we have a shot at making the playoffs. Still early but beating a stacked team like San Jose at any point in the season 5-2 is impressive. We've beat two playoff teams from last year to start the season...not bad!!

Here's to a injury free season and to some goaltending we haven't seen since Roy!!

GO AVS!!!

Edit: Wings lost there first two games...only way this week gets better is if the Broncs beat Dallas tomorrow!
I'm on board. Love me some Avs (and Rockies too, although I've been HIGHLY CRITICAL of ownership).
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post

The Canes gave up a lot of chances they should have capitalized on, but they get a chance to rebound against the Bruins tonight. Joni Pitkanen being out really hurt our lateral puck movement, he should be back in a few days. With Pitkanens return I expect the Canes to really come into form and show why they were a contender in the East last season.

My ten cents from opening night.
Not so much 5-0!!

maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Not so much 5-0!!

Yea, that hurt pretty bad. This team just has no chemistry right now, something needs to change. Hopefully we will mix up our lines and see if we can get more production scoring...well...any production scoring. Putting Ray Whitney, Erik Cole, and Eric Stall on the same line has proven time and time again ineffective. You cant concentrate all of your scoring prowess on one line and expect to be successful when you are playing teams with dynamic defensive super stars.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
It's only been two games but the 2009-10 Avs are showing more energy and are far more entertaining than we've seen in the last 5 years -- a really enjoyable style of play. Plus excellent work in the net.
Could the Avs be the Broncos of the NHL?! Okay, way too soon to know much of anything, but it has been exciting to see them come out of the gate like this. Maybe Joe Sacco and the kids can accelerate this rebuilding process quicker than we thought. At the very least this could be a fun team to watch.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Matt Duchene is incredible. Before the season started I figured there was about a 70% chance Duchene gets sent back to juniors at the end of nine games but two games in I can't see that happening at all. He's been arguably the best player on the ice for either team in both games. Wolski and Stastny have scored more but they're playing with each other (and Hejduk), while Duchene has largely been doing things on his own (Svatos has been invisible).

But man, he's flying out there, working hard, relentless after the puck, and he's dominating on the penalty kill, which is astounding for an 18 year old playing his first NHL games.

This guy (hopefully) will be playing for the Avs for the next 15-20 years. How lucky we are after Sakic retires we already got a superstar in the making to watch.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Matt Duchene is incredible. Before the season started I figured there was about a 70% chance Duchene gets sent back to juniors at the end of nine games but two games in I can't see that happening at all. He's been arguably the best player on the ice for either team in both games. Wolski and Stastny have scored more but they're playing with each other (and Hejduk), while Duchene has largely been doing things on his own (Svatos has been invisible).

But man, he's flying out there, working hard, relentless after the puck, and he's dominating on the penalty kill, which is astounding for an 18 year old playing his first NHL games.

This guy (hopefully) will be playing for the Avs for the next 15-20 years. How lucky we are after Sakic retires we already got a superstar in the making to watch.
I really wish I didn't work at night, I would love to see this kid play live
Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings up 4-0 on the San Jose Guppies.

Game is on yahoo feed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/hockeyni...dlRMbL5yB7vLYF
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

6-4 Kings win over the SJ Guppies. Smyth, Purcell, JFMJ, Simmonds, and Kopi had 3 points in this game.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

those are the dumbest jerseys i've ever seen, what are they for?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #21
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
those are the dumbest jerseys i've ever seen, what are they for?
They are dumb, I agree...I hate the home plate logo. They are the third jersey's.

Apparently the Kings brass wants to return to the "glory days" aka the Gretzky era. Personally I would have preferred if they went back to the purple and gold jerseys.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #22
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

they look like raider jerseys of the NHL
Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #23
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBronco_Doug View Post
they look like raider jerseys of the NHL
*cringe*

That's why I don't like it, though I do own one old 99 Gretzky jersey like those...except it has a chevy logo on it.

like this...

Speaking of The Great One...did anyone catch the ESPN Documentary called "Kings Ransom" by Peter Berg, basically was about "The TRADE" of Gretzky going to the Kings. I found it very interesting...it was also interesting that he almost ended up in Detroit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 10-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #24
1998Eternal
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Awsome how the kings,rangers, and oilers glory days are all associated with Gretzky being on the team. The biggest impact player of all time.
1998Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #25
1998Eternal
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Its not like the first two games were played against sub-par teams, beating the Sharks 5-2 was huge especially because the sharks just got off their highest point season 117 points enough for the President trophy and a San Jose Franchise record.Than the Canucks who have a Roberto Luongo haha enough said about that. So far so good and Matt Duchane, I can see his 9 getting retired in 15-20 years. He is one of the pureist players to play the game.
1998Eternal is offline   Reply With Quote