The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default PFTV looks at whether the Broncos are for real

PFTV looks at whether the Broncos are for real
Posted by Mike Florio on October 2, 2009 9:38 PM ET
In nine days, after the Broncos host the Cowboys and the Patriots, we'll have a pretty good idea as to whether Denver is for real.

But we're not nearly that patient. (It's the adult ADD.)

So, instead, we've opted to consider the question as our final PFTV segment of the week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-are-for-real/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

A buddy of mine, NFL scout for 13 years, says Denver does some VERY nice things and could easily take the game this Sunday. He really likes what he sees on both sides of the ball. He says, though, that Clady could be a little better in run blocking and doesn't see all the hype behind Hillis when the game is broken down. He was surprised at how good this team really is, after looking at the game film.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Florio for some reason hated Shanny. Seems like he is warming a tad to Broncos now that we are sort of the underdog.

Still Florio took a stupid NFL rumor site and parlayed it into being a someone in the NFL media circle. What he did isn't easy to do.

Still I don't think he is all that smart when it comes to x's and o's. Now getting under peoples skins, he is as good as Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Jesse Jackson and Micheal Moore all in one.

The truth is no one knows if broncos are as good as the numbers say.

For certain a game is on the Horizon where Orton will have to take some chances instead of throw ball away. That's when we will see if this team can win anything other then a defensive game.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I'll be honest, I haven't bought into the Hillis hype. He's a nice utility player, a serviceable FB. Larsen IMO is a better FB then Hillis. Larsen gets into the hole faster and never misses a collision.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Hillis can do more though. Excellent hands and a hard runner. We would be foolish to ever get rid of him. At the very least he's a special teams demon. The guy is always making the tackles.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the movethesticks guy on twitter says hillis has the best hands of any RB in the NFL...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

They hit on my biggest gripe. I get that we beat up on soft opponents, but we beat the piss out of them. These are teams that last year passed all over us with effectively the same personnel. Bad or average teams let bad teams hang around. We're destroying our opponents.

The other thin is that of the remaining thirteen games, even if we only win five we still finish at .500. I have trouble believing we lose less than four of the next thirteen. We look too good and we keep getting better every game.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Mike Florio has calmed down his tone overall, the NBC deal would do that anyone. He's not a practicing lawyer anymore and has long as NBC is paying the bills he won't seen in a court room (as a lawyer) again. He's got aspirations of being an Adam Schefter type reporter someday.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They hit on my biggest gripe. I get that we beat up on soft opponents, but we beat the piss out of them. These are teams that last year passed all over us with effectively the same personnel. Bad or average teams let bad teams hang around. We're destroying our opponents.

The other thin is that of the remaining thirteen games, even if we only win five we still finish at .500. I have trouble believing we lose less than four of the next thirteen. We look too good and we keep getting better every game.
Everyone is destroying the Browns. That Ravens game was brutal, and the Vikings was much more of a blowout than the score reflected. The Browns are beating themselves that badly every week. Mangini is in way over his head trying to turn around a very shoddy team, and it is leading to an epic meltdown of the entire organization (IMHO). Anything from the Browns game (aside from the W for the season record) is suspect. Raiders looked tougher against SD than they did against us though, so I agree with half your point. The Browns are just so phenomenally bad right now I don't see any way to take any sort of pride from beating them.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:

Also when you look at what the Bengals have done the past two weeks dropping 31 and 23 on the Packers and Steelers. Well it makes me think the Broncos defense better than any of us thought it would be.

We all know Sunday is the first big test. This will be the most balanced offense the Broncos have faced this year so far.

With Fox carrying the game over 90% of the country...everone will find out real this team is or isn't.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInSkinland View Post
Everyone is destroying the Browns. That Ravens game was brutal, and the Vikings was much more of a blowout than the score reflected. The Browns are beating themselves that badly every week. Mangini is in way over his head trying to turn around a very shoddy team, and it is leading to an epic meltdown of the entire organization (IMHO). Anything from the Browns game (aside from the W for the season record) is suspect. Raiders looked tougher against SD than they did against us though, so I agree with half your point. The Browns are just so phenomenally bad right now I don't see any way to take any sort of pride from beating them.
What's funny is the media is hanging on the Ravens and Vikings junk for beating them and then when we do it's because they suck. I agree they are awful, but there is a double standard. When we beat them it's because they suck and people go out of their way to say we aren't that good. The Ravens beat them the same way and it's because the Ravens are awesome and that game proves the awesomeness.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
What's funny is the media is hanging on the Ravens and Vikings junk for beating them and then when we do it's because they suck. I agree they are awful, but there is a double standard. When we beat them it's because they suck and people go out of their way to say we aren't that good. The Ravens beat them the same way and it's because the Ravens are awesome and that game proves the awesomeness.
Oh well if you want to examine the media slant reagrding the Denver Broncos we will have to go back a LONG way before the Browns game, heck we might even have to go back before our current front O for that investigation.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

They're right ... the next 9 days will tell us all we need to know.

I'm not gonna waste time fretting over this ... if they're not impressed we have the #1 defense in the league by a margin of 30 or 40 yards, fine. I can wait.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

The media doesn't like the Broncos. I accepted that years ago and it makes winning all the more sweet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Worst case scenario Sunday (in a Denver win that is): Denver shuts Dallas out and drops 40+ on them.

It will almost CERTAINLY be that something is wrong in Dallas. Denver needs to win, by at least two scores and limit Dallas offensively but not completely shut them down. Thats the best thing for media respect that could happen.

Personally I would rather us drop 40+ on them and shut them out. **** the media.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The media doesn't like the Broncos. I accepted that years ago and it makes winning all the more sweet.
I'm not sure I agree ... we have the longest streak of MNF appearances. It's about 18 years in a row, more than any team in the league. Maybe it's just the Shanahan/Cutler/McD/Marshall stuff, but we've also recieved huge pub this offseason. And to be honest, the Broncos are on here n Seattle all the time ... I think I went out just 6 or 7 times last year.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMcBuff View Post
I'm not sure I agree ... we have the longest streak of MNF appearances. It's about 18 years in a row, more than any team in the league. Maybe it's just the Shanahan/Cutler/McD/Marshall stuff, but we've also recieved huge pub this offseason. And to be honest, the Broncos are on here n Seattle all the time ... I think I went out just 6 or 7 times last year.
Theres can be a difference between being a popular team and being liked by the media though. And when a lot of people say media, theyre often talking about the east coast media, which acts like professional football became a sport in 2001.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
the movethesticks guy on twitter says hillis has the best hands of any RB in the NFL...
well so far this yr he dropped a pass and fumbled once. Not sure how anyone with the best hands in NFL could let that happen.

I like Hillis but hes not best in the NFL at anything.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
How would anyone even know this? Has he looked at the hands of every RB in the NFL and thought well hell Hillis sure takes care of his hands? Tim Hightower leads all RBs with 20 catches, Fred Jackson and Chester Taylor each have 14 more catches then Hillis. I just think if Hillis was as good as this movethesticks guy claims he would have more then 5 touches on O.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote