The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Default It's all about the turnovers

I believe that the single most important stat that has a direct bearing on your record is turnover ratio. Not passing, running, sacks, etc.. but if you have the ball more times than your opponent. Each time you take away the ball, you give yourself another chance to score, and you take away a chance for them to score. This is huge.

Last year, we were horrible in TO ratio. At -17, we were tied for the last in the NFL. People kept talking about how Cutler couldn't win (no, this isn't a Cutler thread), but I personally felt he was never given enough chances to try and win. Our passive defense led by Slowik was a joke. We were listed as the #2 offense in the league, but at a -17 TO ratio, this means nothing.

Let's look at some teams this year:

Pitts: At -4, the SB champs having a losing 1-2 record.
Arizona: At -2, they are also at 1-2.

Let's check out all the unbeaten teams:

Denver!!!: +6
Saints: +4
Giants: +5
Vikings: +4
Colts: +1
Jets: +3
Ravens: +3

It doesn't matter how good or even bad your offense is... if you can win the TO battle, you will win games. Cleveland might not be 0-3... if they were not -7 in TO.

So to keep winning games.. just win those TO battles. That more than any other stat is the one that will keep the wins rolling in. I know this is elementary to some people, but I don't think everyone fully appreciates what an impact this one stat has on your success or failure. You can have a great offense, yet have a horrible record if you can't get turnovers (no, this really isn't a Cutler thread). You can have a mediocre QB and win games.. if he doesn't throw interceptions. Which is exactly what Orton is doing, and which is also exactly why we are winning games.

So... if you get frustrated and throw your hands up because Orton throws his 10th pass out of bounds... instead, praise him. He is doing the one thing that has the greatest chance to secure us victories right now, than anything else. I've been fairly harsh on him, but you know, this is changing my mind about him. That IS smart football. He fully realizes what wins games, and he is playing to achieve that. Maybe that is a step up from Cutler, in a weird way.

I only wish we could play against Jabigmac every week. We'd go unbeaten!
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think I remember Cutler turning the ball over quite a bit in bad spots anyway.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

water is wet
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

turnovers are not just a defensive stat homey, the offense also contributes to teh ratio. this year, the offense is NOT turning the ball over while the defense is FORCING turnovers. its good to see.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I think I remember Cutler turning the ball over quite a bit in bad spots anyway.
You mean in the redzone? Well, that was the defense fault.

But no really, this isn't really anything new, but I did like seeing the TO ratio for all the teams listed. You should have done a 32 team list though just to see how common it is.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

There's something to be said for having a -17 turnover ratio and still winning 8 games. Not sure what that something is, but I can't imagine something like that happening too often.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

IF Orton throws the ball away 10 times this weekend we will probably lose.

We need him to take a few risks to win this week I think
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
There's something to be said for having a -17 turnover ratio and still winning 8 games. Not sure what that something is, but I can't imagine something like that happening too often.
3 of those wins were against our very own crappy division.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote