The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #601
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If they were shorting gold would it not show as a purchase?

LMAO No. Shorting is when you borrow something that has already been purchased and SELL it with the later promise to buy the same number of shares later to repay the lender share for share.

And, when shorting, it's the brokerage/whatever doing the lending that shows up as the buyer/seller. They don't actually give you X shares to sell. They sell X shares they own and provide you with the proceeds. When you go to cover the short, you give them the cash necessary to repurchase X shares (assuming they want to actually repurchase shares, which is not required).

Last edited by Fedaykin; 07-07-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #602
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
It's over bought and over priced and the bubble will burst.

Carry on.
He/she/it has always been a bad investment
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #603
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Gold and conspiracy junkies go hand in hand. The plunge in gold prices is no mystery.

It's not the FEDS, it's the the idiot gold bugs, the doom and gloom crowd dumping gold as fast as they can, now that 'investors' are taking their profits.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-dot-heres-why
Yep, mostly gun-toting, conspiracy loving, Obama haters getting bleached on this one. Run for the hills buy lots of gold.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #604
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The shorting conspiracy theory doesn't even begin to make sense.

Gold peaked in mid to late 2011, hovered for around a year, and then started dropping in late 2012. The Fine Chart (TFC) shows the central banks selling off hundreds of tons/year of gold up to about 2008, then no real activity until they started buying it up again in 2011.

In order to short gold, the Fed would have to be borrowing it from someone willing to bet against the Fed (all shorting is a bet/counter bet between the lender and the borrower) -- most likely those central banks that the Fed holds all the gold for. In any event, to short it enough to affect the markets, they would have to sell a LOT of it, and they'd have to be selling it sometime before/during the actual drop in price. As TFC shows, we do see a lot of gold being sold in 2002-2008, but also a steady, unrelenting rise in cost of the price of gold. In other words, even central banks selling hundreds of tons/year didn't cause a drop in the price.

In order for the shorting conspiracy theory to make even a lick of sense, you'd expect there to be massive central bank sell offs (as they sell off the gold and provid ethe proceeds to the Fed) starting sometime in early to mid 2011. How massive? Something more than 100s of tons/year which didn't cause a price drop before.

What we actually see is those large central banks making large PURCHASES of gold starting in early to mid 2011. An action that could only help to prop up the price of gold (see: economics 101)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #605
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
If they were shorting gold would it not show as a purchase?
If the FED were shorting gold, it would be front page news. Only the conspiracy/gold bug sites report that scenario as a way to explain how wrong they are.....and have been for years.

Gold prices dropping are a sign of investor confidence and profit taking. It's business as usual.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #606
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Great advice! Sell your gold for $1000 and buy it back for $1200. Just kidding. I know there were many opportunities to make money short term buying and selling, but gold is about long term investing. It hasn't even been 4 years yet, the long term move was to buy in 2009 even after this big correction. I feel bad for anybody who has to sell today at these cheap prices, but it's still better than it was during the "bubble territory" of 2009.

Quote:
It's over bought and over priced and the bubble will burst.

Carry on.
9-30-2009

Quote:
**** guys...now it's time to buy...well wait 30 days or so but I think Silver is the best way to go because you can get more of it for a hedge later on.
6-24-2013
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #607
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The value of my house went down a lot in 2008-2010. Must be those damn builders shorting houses! ****ing NWO!!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #608
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
The value of my house went down a lot in 2008-2010. Must be those damn builders shorting houses! ****ing NWO!!!!
Baja or Gaff with a link to a PCR Information Clearinghouse article on how the lizard people were behind the housing bubble in 5...4...3...2...
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #609
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Baja or Gaff with a link to a PCR Information Clearinghouse article on how the lizard people were behind the housing bubble in 5...4...3...2...
More likely from Mike "Germ Theory is Wrong, Bill Gates is working on a sinister eugenics experiment, Sandy Hook was faked, etc." Adams from Natural News.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #610
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I'm no Warren Buffett, but I think the best long term hedge against inflation would be land.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #611
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I'm no Warren Buffett, but I think the best long term hedge against inflation would be land.
Yep, the only real wealth is real estate (but of course, not all real estate is valuable). If you want a hedge against inflation that's your best bet.

Gold is just a convenient currency with no real inherent practical value except in a high tech economy where it has some use as a high quality conductor.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #612
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Absolutely, assuming (since you're a reasonable person) you're talking about a realistic scenario of economic hardship.

The "sky is falling" gold buying dupes, on the other hand, have a vision (fantasy?) of a barren wasteland where there is no government, the world is run on a local scale by roving bands of armed warlords, and somehow gold can still be used as a barter currency.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #613
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Great advice! Sell your gold for $1000 and buy it back for $1200. Just kidding. I know there were many opportunities to make money short term buying and selling, but gold is about long term investing.
Shorting is an extremely risky bet. A long position (the standard bet that a stock will go up) only puts your original capital at risk. If you buy $10,000 worth of Apple, you can only lose up to $10,000.

However, a short position has, effectively, no limit to your losses. If you short $10,000 of a stock, and that stock triples in value, you're suddenly $20,000 in debt ($30,000 if you're trading on a margin without putting up the original $10,000 in collateral) instead of just losing the $10,000. There's no limit to your potential financial losses.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #614
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Great advice! Sell your gold for $1000 and buy it back for $1200.
Actually though, it's borrowing $1000 of gold from someone, selling it, and then buying the same amount back for $1200 and repaying the loan of gold. You lose $200, the person you borrowed from gains $200.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #615
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Absolutely, assuming (since you're a reasonable person) you're talking about a realistic scenario of economic hardship.

The "sky is falling" gold buying dupes, on the other hand, have a vision (fantasy?) of a barren wasteland where there is no government, the world is run on a local scale by roving bands of armed warlords, and somehow gold can still be used as a barter currency.
In that scenario, the best barter item would be food or fuel. And since land is needed to grow food...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #616
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
In that scenario, the best barter item would be food or fuel. And since land is needed to grow food...

...and to extract and/or grow fuel.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #617
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Great advice! Sell your gold for $1000 and buy it back for $1200. Just kidding. I know there were many opportunities to make money short term buying and selling, but gold is about long term investing. It hasn't even been 4 years yet, the long term move was to buy in 2009 even after this big correction. I feel bad for anybody who has to sell today at these cheap prices, but it's still better than it was during the "bubble territory" of 2009.

9-30-2009

6-24-2013

You forgot the part about me being right.

And about now is the time to buy. Let's be clear. I don;t think buying and taking possession of metals is a bad idea.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #618
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You forgot the part about me being right.

And about now is the time to buy. Let's be clear. I don;t think buying and taking possession of metals is a bad idea.
Most reputable dealers charge ~5% over spot in amounts a typical person can afford to buy (a few ounces) Disreputable dealers charge more. Unless you do a wire transfer, they'll charge you another 3-4% to buy with a credit card. Oh, then another 2-3% in shipping fees and insurance. And, if you try to sell it back, you'll incur all those fees again (shipping, handling, payment fees, etc. ) and you won't be getting 5% over spot when you sell (more like 1-2% if you're lucky).

In other words, you're probably losing 15-25%+ in transaction and other fees. That's a huge hit. You're a lot better off buying a zero transaction overhead ETF and using the proceeds to acquire real wealth (real estate) instead of shiny useless metal.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #619
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Conspiracy nonsense?

A number of major gold traders and hedge fund managers agree with Baja and I -- and PCR.

You can check them out at KingWorldNews.com

Some of these guys are billionaires.

The wacko BS at the OM never ends. If you look at Brit's gold chart -- it conforms perfectly with what these gold traders and PCR have been saying. The manipulation started back in July 2011 - at a time when the gold price was moving steeply higher -- it had reached 1900/ounce.

The Fed stopped the rise via market manipulation. The latest even more intense round of manipulation started this past April -- with the Fed not simply preventing a further rise -- but actually forcing the price way down. This continues as we speak.

MHG

Last edited by mhgaffney; 07-08-2013 at 02:34 PM..
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #620
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Conspiracy nonsense?

A number of major gold traders and hedge fund managers agree with Baja and I -- and PCR.

The wacko BS at the OM never ends. If you look at Brit's gold chart -- it conforms perfectly with what these gold traders and PCR have been saying. The manipulation started back in July 2011 - at a time when the gold price was moving steeply higher -- it had reached 1900/ounce.

The Fed stopped the rise via market manipulation. The latest even more intense round of manipulation started this past April -- with the Fed not simply preventing a further rise -- but actually forcing the price way down. This continues as we speak.

MHG
Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #621
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Conspiracy nonsense?

MHG
What manipulation? How does one "manipulate the markets" to drive the price of a commodity down? Shorting it? The evidence shows they aren't shorting it.

Mind control rays perhaps?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #622
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Conspiracy nonsense?

MHG

DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #623
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Best long term investment = Your health
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #624
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Google tells me the market manipulation is "naked shorts" -- the Fed selling gold it doesn't have as paper IOUS. Hundreds of tons of it!

So how come there is no evidence that the Fed is selling gold -- naked shorts or otherswise -- at all? In fact, as I previously pointed out, TFC shows that central banks are BUYING hundreds of tons of gold since 2011.

Apparently my tinfoil hat needs another fold or something...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #625
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Best long term investment = Your health
I can't hand that off to my kids when I'm gone.