The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Cowboys Game Plan

They are averaging like 190 yards Rushing thus far in the season.

Seems to me the game plan is simple. Stop the run, double Witten, and make Romo beat us by passing to Williams or Crayton...

Pretty simple I think...

Any other ideas for this week? What is the opinion of the board about our Offense? They have stopped the run this far and their corners are tough..
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

They may not have Felix Jones or Marion Barber; could put more pressure on Romo to make plays, and that is a very good thing.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
meangene
Ring of Famer

I agree 100% on the defensive game plan. We need to stay in our lanes on the pass rush and not let Romo get outside the pocket. For us offensively, Dallas has had some issues stopping both the run and the pass at times, though they looked a little better last night. Seems to me we need to keep mixing the run and pass, and stay out of long yardage situations where they can come after Orton. That is where they excel. Manageable down and distance will be key for the offense. Take our shots downfield on early down play action.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
They may not have Felix Jones or Marion Barber; could put more pressure on Romo to make plays, and that is a very good thing.
I fear playing against FELIX--his yards/carry are RIDICULOUS! Barber will play against us for sure--he was PISSED that the staff held him out of last nights game. It is imperative for us to STOP the run. We also need to limit Witten and Bennett --their two above average TE's. I bet Woodyard plays a larger role this week in that regard.

Offensively--Dallas's secondary is GARBAGE, Newman is severely overrated and their safeties cannot cover. Scheff and our slot WR should have a field day against LB Bradie James and safeties Hamlin and Sensabaugh---I look for McD to exploit this early and often--keep an eye on Demarcus of course as Spencer (the other OLB) is not showing much of anything (bet they wish they still had greg ellis!)---I expect us to be able to move the ball fairly well against them --we ned to turn our drives into TD's and not FG's as I feel the Dallas's Offense provides so much balance that they will put 20-24 points on our Defense--it will be up to Orton to make plays in the passing game--and Dallas's D is perfectly built to take advantage of just that
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I hate to say it, but I think Marshall is going to have a bust out game. That Cowpie secondary is built to get burned up the middle. Still waiting for Moreno to have his, but he has improved every time he's played. What has surprised me the most about Knowshon is his quickness. When I watched him at Georgia, he seemed to have a longer stride and move more smoothly. Now, he seems to have caught a case of the quicks. Maybe Bobby Turner did something with his footwork?

Anyway, from what I've seen of the Cowgirls, they like the flat. They like to go outside. I think the Broncos D is too quick for that, and too solid in their lane responsibilities. I still say the Bronco's secondary is the best in the NFL right now. They just need to convince the rest of the NFL. Clearly, they are the best "run-support" secondary in the NFL. That respect starts coming this weekend. Champ will get his, this time. Romo is too cocky to play it safe. We will close them up to playing a middle of the field game and our LBs will take over. Doom will get his hits on Romo. I also think McD will outcoach Wade and make better, quicker, adjustments. Nolan doesn't play "read and react," he plays "dictate the action." I don't believe Romo is sharp enough for it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

HOPEFULLY they try to throw the ball 50 times. i dont udnerstand why they dont run 2x as many times as they pass the ball. they give romo too much freedom for a team that does NOT need it.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

I'm gonna LOVE to see Dumerville on Flozell ... you KNOW there's going to be (minimum) 4 false starts there! If that happens Romo's blindside confidence will be SHOT and then he starts running (from fear) and throwing picks!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Cowgirl
Just visiting

Cowboy fan in the house

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMan-Goblin View Post
That will be lucky for you. Romo is due for a breakout game so dont count your chickens before they cross the street big boy.

Sounds like you all are pretty confident as it should be 3-0 great start for the Broncos.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Cowgirl
Just visiting

Cowboy fan in the house

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
I'm gonna LOVE to see Dumerville on Flozell ... you KNOW there's going to be (minimum) 4 false starts there! If that happens Romo's blindside confidence will be SHOT and then he starts running (from fear) and throwing picks!
Flozell will have help with dumerville so it would be up to the rest of that um so called dline to produce pressure.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

The Cowboys appear to be a team built to run and stop the run. If we can force them to pass while running ourselves, then it should be a good game for Denver.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

It would certainly be to the Broncos benefit if Felix Jones can't go. He is DEADLY on the delayed draw. I hope Nolan can scheme up something to defend this play because the Boys are using it early and often.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Dawkins will have a big game. I see him on a TE with maybe a bracket on Witten with a LB. He'll get some blitzes and is gonna have to be aware of Barber and Jones in run support. Dallas no longer has big play potential, aside from Felix--no legitimate threats on the outside--so they'll pound it and try to play keep away with short to intermediate passes. Our LB's should get a couple of good looks at INT's. The only way they get big plays is a blown coverage, loss of contain on Romo, or missed tackles.

As I recall, NE beat Dallas 2 years ago with Brady throwing it like 50 times for 5 TD's. Run game was non-existent and NE went 4 of 5 in the red zone. Lots of 7-15 yard passes to maintain ball control and Stallworth and Welker had big days and Kyle Brady saw a lot of targets. I think McD will look to start out with this type of gameplan with just enough runs to keep the Boys honest. Orton will be called on to spread it around with Royal, Gaff, and Graham getting a lot of looks. Orton had better be up to the task.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm pretty worried about what Witten what might do to us through the middle of the field.

For whatever reason, DJ doesn't seem like he can cover all that well anymore (although he sometimes flashes that magic from 2003). Davis is obviously not meant to play that role, so I'm curious to see what the plan will be to contain Witten...

V. Davis and Carlson ate up the middle of the field against us. Even Desmond Clark had pretty good success. Yes, I realize that preseason is supposedly vanilla, but I'm not sure that ours was. We were getting our team coached up on the new scheme and I'm not sure how much we really held back. This'll definitely be a good indicator.

I don't see using any of our corners on Witten...we're just too small outside of Bailey to match up. So will it be WW3? Maybe dust off that big nickel that worked to limit Gonzalez last year and put Barrett on the field?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I'm pretty worried about what Witten what might do to us through the middle of the field.

For whatever reason, DJ doesn't seem like he can cover all that well anymore (although he sometimes flashes that magic from 2003). Davis is obviously not meant to play that role, so I'm curious to see what the plan will be to contain Witten...

V. Davis and Carlson ate up the middle of the field against us. Even Desmond Clark had pretty good success. Yes, I realize that preseason is supposedly vanilla, but I'm not sure that ours was. We were getting our team coached up on the new scheme and I'm not sure how much we really held back. This'll definitely be a good indicator.

I don't see using any of our corners on Witten...we're just too small outside of Bailey to match up. So will it be WW3? Maybe dust off that big nickel that worked to limit Gonzalez last year and put Barrett on the field?
Sign Sam Brandon to a 10 day contract!
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Adam Schefter reporting he's heard 2 weeks on Felix Jones. MRI is today.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRulon McVelvet McJones View Post
Adam Schefter reporting he's heard 2 weeks on Felix Jones. MRI is today.
Never good to see a player get hurt but this would be a huge break for the Broncos.

Last edited by Popcorn Sutton; 09-29-2009 at 10:00 AM..
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
beanerbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Brandstater

I agree with everything so far. Clady will have his hands full with Ware. I think that's our biggest match-up. Our biggest need is to stop the run and establish our running game
beanerbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #18
gtown
Perennial Pro-bowler

Hoya Saxa!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juggernaut #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
If I were McD, I would put together a special video clip of Witten's work and hand it directly to WW3 and Barrett. These guys made the team for specialized purposes. This is one them.
gtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

So next week (IF we win), the story will be:
Broncos haven't beaten anybody except for Dallas who were missing Felix Jones and had an injured Marion Barber ...
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #20
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Agree with the stopping the run, especially the draw they are feasting on. I think the key there is maintaining good discipline in the front 7. Also agree that keeping Romo in the pocket and pressuring him there - he is more dangerous freelancing. But their strength is the run; that's what is allowing them to get down the field.

On offense I think we continue to build on our run game, win time of possession and protect the ball. That screen to Graham was a thing of beauty. The reverse to Marshall could be dangerous but it just doesn't look like we have it down yet. I'd like to see Hillis getting back into the groove - a few mistakes from him have been costly for us so far and he is very capable of better, especially in the red zone. If we can improve our red zone percentage we can become be a 30 pt offense.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #21
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanerbronco View Post
I agree with everything so far. Clady will have his hands full with Ware. I think that's our biggest match-up. Our biggest need is to stop the run and establish our running game
I don't think Clady cares who he lines up against....the dude is a rock
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #22
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Jones out could be huge for Denver.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #23
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Jones out could be huge for Denver.
I'm sure "Beavis McDummy" will still blow it though right mock?
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #24
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackleford View Post
I'm sure "Beavis McDummy" will still blow it though right mock?
That would make mock's (aka Skippy) day, wouldn't it?
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Cowboys hold breath on Felix Jones' knee
Posted by Tom Curran on September 29, 2009 12:29 PM ET

Through three games, the Cowboys have the most devastating rushing attack in the NFL.

Eighty-five carries, 581 yards, a per-attempt average of 6.8.

The runner-up in running the football so far is New Orleans. But the Saints have needed 17 more carries to gain 69 fewer yards (102 for 512).

Still the durability of Dallas' three-headed backfield monster -- Marion Barber, Felix Jones, and Tashard Choice -- is an ongoing concern. First, Barber's quad muscle kept him out of Monday night's game with the Panthers.

And now Jones is undegoing an MRI on his knee according to Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News. Jones' knee went bad during a 40-yard gain Monday night. (Jones is averaging 10.1 yards per carry, a figure more appropriate for a high school star.)

Archer said that postgame indications were that the injury isn't a major concern. ESPN's Ed Werder was told by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones that Felix Jones had trouble loosening the knee after the injury.

This Sunday, the Cowboys are at Denver -- a team that's allowed just one touchdown in three games this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ix-jones-knee/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote