The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default Players love playing for Josh McD

OAKLAND, Calif. — After Sunday’s win, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels seemed a bit surprised when a Bay Area reporter asked about the offseason "sideshow" surrounding the franchise.

Aside from the unusual timing of the question, McDaniels never figured there was a sideshow. Yes, there were some odd times for the Broncos’ franchise this offseason and he undoubtedly heard some of the criticism, but he didn’t care. He stuck to his plan, which looks solid so far after a 23-3 win over Oakland gave the Broncos a 3-0 record.

"We have always had confidence regardless of everybody else’s opinion," McDaniels said Sunday. "It doesn’t really matter what anybody else thinks. All that matters is what we think."

Early success has helped McDaniels. Players are buying into what he and the rest of his staff is selling.

"We believe everything coach is saying to us in meetings," safety Renaldo Hill said. "He’s showing us on film that when we do those things right, this is what can happen."

Denver keeps building. The Broncos have improved every week, which is the sign of a well-coached team. And they’ll need to keep improving because starting Sunday when the Broncos play Dallas, the schedule gets much tougher.

"We have had individual players improve," McDaniels said. "We have had teams — offensively, defensively, different units in the kicking game — get better. I think that is just a combination of the attitude that they come into each week with, the approach that they are taking."
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

what I love there is McD gives the credit to the players doing their jobs and having a good attitude

I like this guy more and more every day
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Publish Date: 9/29/2009

Story Tools
Printer Friendly Email Story
AA Enlarge Text AA Reduce Text

Broncos Corral
Bronco of the week
RB Knowshon Moreno: The first-round pick from Georgia had his first big game as a Bronco, rushing for 90 yards and a touchdown in the 23-3 win against Oakland. He’s had 165 yards in the past two weeks combined.

This week

Sunday vs. Dallas (2:15 p.m.; TV: Ch. 31): The Broncos will look to start 4-0 when they welcome the Cowboys to town for the first time since 1998. The Broncos have won three straight games against Dallas.

Last week

Beat Oakland 23-3: Once again, the defense stepped up. And the offense racked up 215 yards on the ground.

Go figure

128: Consecutive passes, during the regular season, thrown by Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton without an interception, dating back to last season when he played for Chicago.

BRIAN HOWELL

Broncos’ consistency bodes well for season

By Brian Howell
© 2009 Longmont Times-Call

When Josh McDaniels was hired in January as the head coach of the Denver Broncos, he came advertised as a great football coach — someone who knows how to do his job well on the field.

McDaniels certainly took his share of heat for off-the-field moves during the offseason. Three games into his coaching tenure, however, he’s been as advertised. He’s done a great job on the field.

Although it has been just three games, the Broncos (3-0) have already been consistent in how they’ve approached each game. They have found weaknesses in each opponent and attacked those weaknesses.

Because of their preparation, the Broncos have been ready to play each Sunday. That’s saying a lot, considering there were plenty of games in recent years in which the Broncos hardly showed up.

The fact that they’ve been prepared each week is a tribute to McDaniels and his coaching staff.

There’s a long way to go this season, and the schedule gets a heck of a lot tougher starting this week, but if the Broncos come into each game as prepared as they’ve been for the first three, they’ll have a good chance to win a lot of games.

SWEET 16: Through three games, the Broncos have allowed just 16 points.

Not even the famous Orange Crush defense of the 1970s ever did that. In fact, prior to this season, the fewest amount of points allowed by the Broncos through three games was 19 — by that Crush defense of 1977.

Perhaps even more impressive, only two NFL teams this decade have had a better start defensively. The 2001 Green Bay Packers and 2004 Seattle Seahawks each gave up 13 points through three games. Like the Broncos, the 2005 Indianapolis Colts gave up 16 through three contests.

A GOOD OMEN? This is the Broncos’ 11th 3-0 start. Five times, they’ve turned a 3-0 start into a trip to the Super Bowl.

However, twice in recent years the Broncos have started 3-0 and failed to make the playoffs (2002 and 2008). Only once have the Broncos started 3-0 and finished with a losing record (going 5-8-1 in 1970).

BETTER WATCH OUT: Peyton Hillis showed flashes of being a dynamic player last year because of his ability to run the ball hard and catch the ball out of the backfield.

Hillis, who has touched the ball just six times on offense, may have a hard time staying on the roster if he’s not careful, though.

Against Cleveland a week ago, he fumbled the opening kickoff, and he hasn’t lined up to return a kick since.

Sunday, the Broncos had first-and-goal at the 1 when he was called for false start, pushing the Broncos back 5 yards. He then failed to get into the end zone on back-to-back short-yardage runs.

Brian Howell can be reached at
bhowell@times-call.com.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

NFL
McDaniels pleased with Broncos' physical play
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post
POSTED: 09/28/2009 12:38:21 PM MDT
UPDATED: 09/28/2009 12:50:57 PM MDT

Josh McDaniels talks with linesman Mark Hitner in Oakland on Sunday. (John Leyba | The Denver Post)
RELATED
Sep 28:
Extra Points: Bests & Worsts
Fans: Support for McD starts to build
Briefs: Seymour lives up to reputation with hair-pulling
Kiszla: Broncos erasing doubts
Paige: Season looking like 1977
Broncos rout Raiders, now 3-0
Horsepower in Broncos' run game
Russell blunder bust
Elvis: Clady makes me better
Marshall has role that says he's receptive
Sep 27:
Armstrong: The difference is in the "D"
Looking at the film from Sunday's 23-3 victory at Oakland, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was mostly pleased with what he saw.

"We had a lot of people play well; executed the plan the way we had hoped to," McDaniels said in his news conference with his team sitting at 3-0 for the season. "We played very physical and really were competitive in every phase, every situation, and felt like we won the line of scrimmage for the better part of the day on both sides."

There is plenty of room for improvement, he added, and evidence of that will be presented to his team in this afternoon's full-squad meeting.

"We have a 50-play (video) cutup we're going to watch during the squad meeting and it's not all bows and ribbons,"

DENVER BRONCOS

Fans, sign up now for Broncos Premium, our website offering don't-miss news, analysis and features only available to registered users. It's free!

View slide show of Broncos QB Kyle Orton.
View slide show of Broncos-Raiders game Sept. 27.
View slide show of the Broncos defense.
View slide show of the Broncos cheerleaders.
View slide show of Browns-Broncos game Sept. 20.
Find analysis and notes from the gridiron and locker room on the All Things Broncos blog.
Ask Mike Klis about the team or NFL in the Broncos Mailbag.
Evaluate the latest team numbers on the Broncos Stats Page.
Post photos of your team spirit.
Pore over Broncos '09 schedule.
McDaniels said. "When players see that you don't have to convince them that they need to improve. They know they have to get better. The biggest thing you can do is take what you saw in the film that we didn't do well, go out there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and actually emphasize it."
McDaniels said the glaring improvement need is in field-goal protection. Regarding his defense — which has allowed only one touchdown and 16 total points — McDaniels said:

"We knew we had a decent chance to be a good defense. Physical up front, good secondary, and (we've) tackled fairly well in the first three weeks of the season. If you execute a good plan with good players, usually you have a good chance to win."
Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

RONCOS PREMIUM
Fans: Support for McD starts to build
Online Chatter | What the fans are saying
By The Denver Post
POSTED: 09/28/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 09/28/2009 02:51:55 AM MDT

RELATED
Sep 28:
McDaniels pleased with Broncos' physical play
Extra Points: Bests & Worsts
Briefs: Seymour lives up to reputation with hair-pulling
Kiszla: Broncos erasing doubts
Paige: Season looking like 1977
Broncos rout Raiders, now 3-0
Horsepower in Broncos' run game
Russell blunder bust
Elvis: Clady makes me better
Marshall has role that says he's receptive
Sep 27:
Armstrong: The difference is in the "D"
As one who utterly jettisoned hope and decided he could no longer support this team, let me say I am humbled and chastened.

I will point out that these aren't three of the elite teams in the NFL, but Cleveland hung hard with Minnesota and Cincinnati beat Pittsburgh today.

And every Broncos coach must beat the Raiders and badly. McDaniels has shown me something, and I am happy to admit I was wrong. But I still watch this season with a careful eye.

—wideeyedraven

Frustrated but fair.

I am starting to believe in McDaniels. He and the rest of the coaches and players have done great so far!

I think he could've got a little more creative on the first drive inside the 5-yard

BRONCOS VS. RAIDERS

Fans, sign up now for Broncos Premium, our website offering don't-miss news, analysis and features only available to registered users. It's free!

View slide show of Broncos-Raiders game Sept. 27.
Analyze boxscore for Broncos-Raiders game Sept. 27.
Read gameday blog about active and inactive players.
Analyze a pre-game stats matchup for Broncos-Raiders.
Visit the Broncos Stats Page for roster, standings, team leaders.
Visit the Raiders Stats Page.
Read the latest notes and analysis on the All Things Broncos blog.
Ask Mike Klis about the team or NFL in the Broncos Mailbag.
Post photos of your team spirit.
View the Broncos '09 schedule.
line. I mean, how many times did they try to pound it in?
—BroncRod

Go big D!

Happy to admit it. The defense is playing way better than I thought possible. The Broncos are a better team than I thought they could be. —kfattor

Lucky AND good.

Great win. I think the defense is fortunate to play the three worst QBs in the league this year in Russell, Campbell and whomever the Browns feel like starting.

This next set of "games we can't win" is probably going to go better than people think. —Kaylore
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Kaylore sighting.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Too bad it's not on the OM that Kaylore is posting... can't say I blame him though.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Funny how so many here were calling us a "laughingstock" before the season. I wonder what word should be used for St. Louis, Tampa, KC, Carolina, Oakland, Houston, Miami, Tennessee, D.C., Cleveland, and Buffalo?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McOSKIE!!! View Post
Too bad it's not on the OM that Kaylore is posting... can't say I blame him though.
Where'd he post that?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote