The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,901

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default McD: Coaching as teaching

Quote:
"That is what coaching is to me-teaching. If you are not a good communicator or a good teacher, it is hard to be a real affective coach at this level. There is too much information that you need to pass on along to your players, and we have so many different types of learners in our locker room. Some guys learn quickly from the mouth. Some guys need it on the board. Some guys need it on the board, on film, from the mouth, walkthrough and practice it twice, and then they have got it. That is just the way this game is. Every player is different, and I think that is part of being a good coach is figuring out, ‘How do I have to teach my players because they are not all the same guy?' That is a really critical component to being a good staff. If you have got a lot of good teachers and good communicators, then you are going to have players out there on the field that are well prepared. If you have good players who are well prepared, that is usually a good formula."
Hard not to like this guy.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

It is pretty common sense. I've always said that I'll take hard work and smarts over talent
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,052

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
It is pretty common sense. I've always said that I'll take hard work and smarts over talent
I disagree. I think that's one of the main problems in the world...communication.

Too many people just assume that because they're teaching a certain way, the "student" is going to automatically understand. The teachers in this world who take the time to accommodate others with whom their interacting seem to leave a more lasting impression, and in turn generally create a much more receptive learning enviroment.

I think too often teachers overlook the fact (or, unfortunately, don't take the time to figure out) that there are all different kinds of learners.

In THIS case, I'm extremely happy to have someone in McD, someone that actually "gets it" if you will.

I'd be willing to place a pretty hefty wager on the fact that their are a LOT of head coaches that don't understand this particular aspect of being a teacher.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer
 
Lev Vyvanse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
It is pretty common sense. I've always said that I'll take hard work and smarts over talent
That has nothing to do with this post.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,775

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

I'm glad we hired this guy, good read thanks!
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,496

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

Just part of the reason I believe in Coach McDaniels
OBF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 
Fun at the range MAR 2014

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9,246

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Some need it on the board, on film, from the mouth, walkthrough and practice it twice, and then they still throw off their back foot after all that work and they never get it.

fixed it



Awww cmon, I never take shots at Jay, I needed to get one in dammit.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida
 
dbfan21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,176

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
I disagree. I think that's one of the main problems in the world...communication.

Too many people just assume that because they're teaching a certain way, the "student" is going to automatically understand. The teachers in this world who take the time to accommodate others with whom their interacting seem to leave a more lasting impression, and in turn generally create a much more receptive learning enviroment.

I think too often teachers overlook the fact (or, unfortunately, don't take the time to figure out) that there are all different kinds of learners.

In THIS case, I'm extremely happy to have someone in McD, someone that actually "gets it" if you will.

I'd be willing to place a pretty hefty wager on the fact that their are a LOT of head coaches that don't understand this particular aspect of being a teacher.
A long time ago, I read a book called Leadership and The One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard. It was one of the most helpful professional books I have ever read. It is based on the theory that if you have a room full of different people, you have to vary your leadership style to get the most out of your team. You can't expect everyone to "get it" with one single leadership style. It seems like Josh has taken that same approach with the players...very smart!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
chrisp
Friend of the unsung
 
chrisp's Avatar
 
Not into the football......yet

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,321

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

I'm still convinced that that was 99% of the problem with Slowik - it wasn't that his schemes were awful (although I'm not saying they were great either) its just that he couldn't get the players to execute them.

And I do think that its the individual nature of it, rather than the specific techniques that is important: recognising that everybody learns differently. No matter how innovative your techniques, and that you need to spend more time making sure that people understand it than you do actually designing them..

It is very early days at the moment, but the way the team is playing seems to be a stark illustration of how this type of coaching works, on both sides of the ball...
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,235

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

I was pretty hard Mcd When he came in. There was a lot of emotion involved. I mean replacing Shanny, Culter, Marshall ect....

I will say I started to get respect for him when he started to talk out the team and not players.
Now I see what a distraction one player can be. I mean just look at the pain in the ass Marshall has become. I think Jay would have freaked out in this system.

I will admit he is growing on me. I think Shanny had too much say and not enough focus on the D and Special teams.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,286

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Slowly but surely, we are getting a glimpse into why Bowlen selected Josh McDaniels as coach.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
bronclvr
Ring of Famer
 
bronclvr's Avatar
 
She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,948
Default

After Sunday's game I wondered what Shanahan must be thinking-I think it's human nature to hope that the person who takes your Job fails, so that your former Employer will want you back (or give you vindication), and McDaniels is sure making it easier to forget Shanahanahan-

It's funny how this Board has changed after three wins-all of a sudden McDaniels is the new savior, but I guess that is what it would take to change opinions-

I hope the kid sticks. It would go a long way in showing that Bowlen isn't nuts-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
baja
It is what it Is.
 
baja's Avatar
 
Pay attention.

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in a bunker
Posts: 56,880

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
I'm still convinced that that was 99% of the problem with Slowik - it wasn't that his schemes were awful (although I'm not saying they were great either) its just that he couldn't get the players to execute them.

And I do think that its the individual nature of it, rather than the specific techniques that is important: recognising that everybody learns differently. No matter how innovative your techniques, and that you need to spend more time making sure that people understand it than you do actually designing them..

It is very early days at the moment, but the way the team is playing seems to be a stark illustration of how this type of coaching works, on both sides of the ball...
If you are right it is telling that Shanahan did not see that, maybe he suffers for the same issue.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Denver Broncos